Chapter Twenty-Two

Hunter or Hunted?

 

JB stared at Jiyeon, his face frozen, a mask of shock. “When did you...” The words died on his lips as Jiyeon darted forward and threw her arms over his neck. “You stupid , you worried me to death!” 

 

Almost as if it was instinctive, JB’s hand came up and he patted her gently on the back, his voice soothing, “It’s okay, I just broke my arm, that’s all. I’m fine now, don’t worry about me, all right?” He felt his clothes getting wet, felt Jiyeon’s head jerking against his neck as she swallowed back her sobs, nodding wordlessly. “It’s okay now...” 

 

From behind the door, Hyomin smacked Areum on the arm as the younger girl tried to peer into the room. Areum jerked back, rubbing her arm as she shot Hyomin a resentful look. “Hey! What was that for! I was just taking a look! What’s with the two of them, anyway? They look like they’re acting out some kind of drama or something...” 

 

Qri shot a quick glance into the room before drawing back again, wanting to give JB and Jiyeon their privacy. She looked at Hyomin. “Is this allowed?”

 

“No.” Hyomin replied shortly, not looking at JB or Jiyeon. 

 

“Then...won’t we be punished? We’re supposed to be killing them, you know. They’re Warriors.” Qri pointed out. Standing opposite them in the corridor, Nickhun shot them a sharp glance. 

 

Hyomin rolled her eyes. “Yeah I don’t think it’s escaped anyone that Jiyeon came here to make sure JB wasn’t dead. And now you want her to kill him?”

 

“Well, okay, maybe not - but we’re still supposed to be assassins, aren’t we? And Warriors are our enemies, so-”

 

Nickhun coughed loudly, inserting himself into the conversation before any of the girls could say anything. “Maybe it’s just me, but isn’t it a bit stupid to be carrying out a conversation about killing Warriors right in front of a Warrior? Maybe you’d like to take it to, oh, I don’t know, the next corridor? Or the toilet? It’s just five metres away, you know.” Nickhun pointed. 

 

Hyomin glared at him. “Keep out of this, pretty boy. We don’t need your contributions.” 

 

Nickhun’s jaw fell open. “What did you just call me? Pretty boy? Is that supposed to be some kind of-”

 

“What’s going on out here?” Junho grunted irritably as he exited the room, closing the door behind him. Areum tried to catch a last glimpse into the room as he did. “Hey, why are you closing the door? He’s not going to secretly murder her in there while we’re not looking, is she?” 

 

Junho whirled around, staring at Areum in disgust. “I know that JB is really good and he can probably take down five people even with a broken arm but given that he’s just spent the last five years in love with and pining for that girl I think what you just said is freaking stupid. Grow a brain, won’t you?” 

 

Areum gaped at Junho’s furious insults, but Qri interjected quietly, “What makes you think our Jiyeon has been having it any easier than JB has?” 

 

Junho’s eyes narrowed. “I didn’t say that-”

 

“Yeah well you sure as hell implied it.” Hyomin snapped, her patience stretched thin. “Now talk; what are you Warriors doing here in New York?” 

 

Junho folded his arms as he leaned against the wall next to Nickhun. “I don’t see why I have to explain my actions to you; I barely know you, anyway.” 

 

Qri rolled her eyes in exasperation. “Can you just stop being such a and-”

 

“Me? Being a ?” Junho repeated, outraged. “You’re one to talk. After leaving our team in such a mess, you guys just took off in our helicopter and-”

 

“Your team leader was the one who offered the helicopter for our use, remember? Besides, it was your team hunting us down, and it wasn’t our fault everything that happened, was it? It’s not like Soyeon hasn’t spent the last five years beating herself up for what happened to Chansung, or like Jiyeon hasn’t spent the last five years haunted and wondering just how JB was doing!” Hyomin snarled furiously.

 

“People, just stop, okay.” Nickhun held his hands up, stepping in between Hyomin and Junho. “How about this - we answer your questions, and you answer ours. But can we please find a more quiet location first? I don’t think yelling everything at each other in the middle of the hospital is the brightest idea.” 

 

None of them could argue with that. So Hyomin gave a curt nod, glaring at Nickhun. “So, two hours later, we’ll bring our groups - all who can make it, that is. No weapons, nothing. Just talk. You pick a location.” 

 

“There’s a warehouse in this street.” Nickhun typed the street name into his phone and showed it to them, just in case anyone was eavesdropping on their conversation. “Find it. We’ll be there.” 

 

Hyomin gave another nod. She glanced at the room, then back at the Warriors, and uncertainty showed on her face for the first time. 

 

“We’ll bring her and JB along. And don’t worry, we won’t hurt her. If we wanted to, we wouldn’t have saved you guys by letting you escape with our helicopter. And JB wouldn’t allow it, anyway.” Nickhun assured her, his tone matter-of-factly as he spoke. 

 

“She better be fine, Warrior.” Hyomin warned. She jerked her head towards the door, speaking to the other assassins, “Let’s go and inform the others, then.” 

 

Junho waited until Hyomin, Qri and Areum were out of earshot before turning to Nickhun. “Was that really such a great idea, Khun?” 

 

“What do you mean?” 

 

“You know what I mean. They’re T-ara. Our enemies. Just five years ago, we were under orders to kill them at all costs. We tortured one of them, Khun, and she nearly died. And now we’re meeting them peacefully, with no weapons, just to talk? It’s wrong. We shouldn’t be doing this.” Junho’s brow was furrowed, his expression worried. 

 

“If you really thought that way, then why did you allow them to escape five years ago? You took part in the fight five years ago, but you didn’t go after them, or report the others for letting them go. Why?” Nickhun challenged the younger member. 

 

“I did it for JB and Taecyeon. I thought that their feelings would fade in time and then those girls would just be our enemies again, but...” Junho’s voice trailed off as he glanced at the closed door, unable to forget the relief, the affection in JB’s eyes as he’d seen Jiyeon. 

 

“Yeah, but. That’s why we’re meeting with them, Junho. Because of that “but”.” Nickhun replied. “I’m going to call Taec to let him know - tell Jiyeon and JB about the meeting when they’re done.” 

 

Junho rolled his eyes. “I don’t think they’re going to be done very soon - they haven’t met in five years, after all.” 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It took nearly half an hour before Jiyeon could compose herself enough to stop sobbing; JB was pretty sure by that time his shirt was at least half wet, but it wasn’t like he could complain. After all, her shirt was wet too - he could have sworn he hadn’t cried, but as Jiyeon moved away from him, he suddenly felt the wetness against his cheeks. He patted the seat next to the hospital bed. “It’s been a while, hasn’t it?” 

 

Jiyeon sniffed. “You stupid , was it too much to have just contacted me once in a while just to let me know that you were safe? Do you know how much time I spent worrying about you?”

 

JB chuckled, ruffling her hair. His expression turned rueful. “I wanted to, Jiyeon. I wanted to so badly, you have no idea how many times I picked up my phone and dialled your number. But I couldn’t bring myself to do it. It was too dangerous. Our leaders were furious that we hadn’t been able to kill all of you, and that it was Chansung who...well, I suspected we were under surveillance, so I didn’t dare call. By the time I was sure they trusted us again, I tried to find you back in Korea...but you were gone.” 

 

Jiyeon shook her head bitterly. “We moved to China. I wanted to wait for you, JB, I really did. I was sure you would come back to find me. But after three years passed and there was no word from you...well, I still believed you were alive, but we had more jobs to do in China, so our leaders ordered us to move there.” 

 

JB could only sigh. “We missed each other by mere weeks, huh? Just our luck...” 

 

“But we’re together now. And I’m never leaving your side. Not again.” Jiyeon’s tone was determined, final, as her hand clutched his. JB’s expression darkened. “Jiyeon - the threat isn’t gone yet, you know that. If this gets out - if our leaders find out about us then-”

 

“Then we’ll run. Please, JB. I just...I can’t live like this. Not seeing you, not knowing anything about you, about how you’re leading your life every day...I can’t. It kills me that we lost five years, JB.” Jiyeon pleaded with him, holding onto his hand even more tightly now, the desperation clear in her eyes. 

 

JB hesitated. He wanted it just as badly as she did, but the part of him that lived and fought as a Warrior, the part of him that had spent his entire childhood training to kill, the part of him that was vice-leader of the Warriors hesitated: he could not help being wary, being afraid. Perhaps this was exactly what the leaders were waiting for. Perhaps the leaders still didn’t trust them, and was just waiting for them to slip up, to make a mistake. Perhaps this was what would give the leaders the chance to punish them. And even though his own father was the Head Consul, Yunho would not hesitate to punish, even to kill him. After all, Yunho had one other son who could take over the organization even after JB died. 

 

“It’s too risky.” JB decided. But he gripped Jiyeon’s hand tightly in his. “But trust me, Jiyeon, I’ll find a way. Just...just give me time to let me figure out how to do this.” 

 

Jiyeon’s hands shook, but she nodded. She trusted him. 

 

Just then, there was a sharp rap on the door, and Junho poked his head in. He glanced quickly at Jiyeon’s tear-stained face, then looked away quickly, addressing JB. “Hey, get dressed. We’re checking you out.” 

 

JB straightened up. “Is something happening?” 

 

“We’re meeting with those...girls from T-ara.” Junho said the words grudgingly. “They want everyone to be there. Taecyeon has been informed already, and we should leave now if we want to get there on time. Jiyeon-sshi,” he spoke without looking at the younger girl, “they asked us to give you a ride.” 

 

Jiyeon’s eyes were narrowed. “How do I even know I can trust you?” 

 

Junho rolled his eyes. “What, you don’t trust JB? Surely you don’t think he’ll let us just kill you.” 

 

“Junho!” JB chided. “Don’t be ridiculous.” 

 

“Whatever. Just get dressed, we’re leaving in five.” Junho whirled around, leaving the room without another word. Jiyeon looked back at JB. “He really doesn’t like us, does he?”

 

“Not- well, Junho isn’t too thrilled by the fact that we’re together. He was against Taecyeon and Eunjung too, but he won’t betray us. He’s a good friend. Which reminds me - how is Eunjung doing?”

 

Jiyeon looked at him, surprised. “I didn’t realise you knew Eunjung-unnie.” 

 

“Well, I don’t actually know her, I’ve just met her a couple of times. Just...Taecyeon-hyung...well, the past five years have been rough too, given how he and Eunjung ended.” JB explained with a sigh as he thought about his leader. Jiyeon was quiet for a moment. Five years, and it seemed that all of them had been suffering throughout those five years. 

 

“Well, we’d better go, before Junho gets too impatient and comes in to yell at us.” JB made an effort to be quiet. He took Jiyeon’s offered hand, using it to maneuver himself out of the hospital bed. “And we wouldn’t want to be late now, would we?” 

----------------------------------------

Sorry for the late upload, I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter! And remember guys, comment and subscribe!