Prologue

Hunter or Hunted?

The old man started as someone rapped sharply on the door. Slowly muttering about his creaking bones, he rose to answer the door. He was surprised to see a young girl standing at the door. She bowed briefly and asked, "Mr Lee Soo-man? There's a special delivery for you."

Soo-man frowned, puzzled, "Special delivery? But I–" His voice broke off abruptly and he stared at the girl, wide-eyed.

The girl's face was cold as stone as she drove the dagger deeper into his chest. As Soo-man fell back, the girl pulled the dagger back, and it emerged with a wet 'snick'. She knelt down beside him. Soo-man stared up at her, choking. His lips moved as he tried to speak, but no sound came out.

The girl stabbed again.

Soo-man's body convulsed. Then he went limp. The girl withdrew the blade once more. Calmly, she checked Soo-man's breathing. He was dead. She opened up the parcel she had been holding, revealing a small shoebox. She stuffed the knife into the box before rising.

Fishing out her phone, she dialled a number. Whoever was on the other line answered at once, and the girl spoke, "It's done. I'm going to the incinerator to dump the weapon."

The girl on the other side sounded satisfied as she said, "Good job, Jiyeon. Be careful, don't mess up now that the job's done."

Park Jiyeon smiled. She hung up and strode over to Soo-man's kitchen, picking up a cloth. Wrapping the cloth carefully around her hand, she made sure not to leave any fingerprints behind as she shut the door gently.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jung Yunho slammed the phone down, fuming. His assistant, Kyuhyun, glanced up at him, "Is there a problem?"

Yunho was silent. After a moment, he said, "Inform the other Consuls that Lee Soo-man has been eliminated. Then call all our available Rank 1 Vigilantes here. Now!"

Kyuhyun hurried to carry out Yunho's instructions. Yunho waited impatiently, drumming his fingers on the table before him. Before long, Kyuhyun rapped on the door and opened it, saying, "The Vigilantes are here." The Rank 1 Vigilantes were the best of the best, trained by the five Consuls themselves. The nine of them entered noiselessly and stood at attention in single file, waiting for their orders.

Yunho stood up. He tossed a number of photos onto his table, where they lay, scattered. They were photographs of elderly men all. But, more than that, the Vigilantes recognised that all these men were dead.

"These men were good, honest men, all of them. Former police chiefs all, well-known and well-respected. And all of them are now dead. It should be obvious, to all of you, that this is the work of the Masquerade." The Vigilantes were silent. Yunho gave an approving nod at their discipline and continued, "We think this is the work of the Masquerade's legendary best team, known to as only as T-ara. They have gone too far now. The nine of you are to track them down within the shortest time possible. Track them down, and eliminate them."