A Nightmare After the Drought

JUST A DREAM

Fearing for her Donghae to leave again, Jessica rushes to the hospital room. Hugging Donghae tightly, she wishes that this time would never end. She knew that the man in front of her is real. A reality of her dreams.  But, she heard the words that made her heart broke into pieces.

 “Who are you? Where’s Jessica?” Donghae asked the unknown woman in front of her.

“Dong---“Jessica couldn’t finish what she is about to say. Tears came rushing through her face.

She lets go of him like a child who lets go of her favorite toy.

“Hey, why are you crying? Where’s Jessica?” Donghae wipes her tears away. But, she rejected those gentle hands. She cried out loud.

Donghae’s mother came inside. She comforted the brokenhearted Jessica. She tried to explain but the lady never listens. She could not believe the reality she is now viewing.

 “Hey, are you Jessica?” Donghae again asked her.

 “Son, yes, she is.” Donghae’s mother answered for her.

 “Really? I don’t remember.”

 “You could remember her if you just take your time.”

 “But why did you seek for me? I thought you are looking for me.”

  “I only thought of you. But, I’m not really looking for you.”           

 “Is that so?” Jessica quietly sits down on a couch.

His mother said to Jessica that she cannot remember anything aside from Jessica’s name.

 “I gotta go. Jessica, please take care of him.”

 “So, you really can’t remember anything?” Jessica asked Donghae.

“If I could then, I’d be friendlier to you.”

 “Is that how you normally act?”

 “Hey, by the way, what’s with this watch?” Donghae lets Jessica see the watch.

 “Huh? That’s! So, that’s the purpose of that. It has been 10 days since my first dream of you. It’s a countdown timer. You should remove it  now.”

  “Dream? Are you crazy?”

  “I’d be crazier if I told you that we spend time together in my dreams.”

  “Yeah. You’re crazy but you’re kinda cute.”

  “WHAT?!”

 “Hey, about this watch was given to me by  some old hag as a thank you for saving her.”

 “Old hag? So you remembered something.”

  “It’s not clear in my mind. But, look I can’t remove it.”

 “Who’s that old hag?”

 “I don’t know. She just appeared out of nowhere on that rainy day.”

 “Wow! You are starting to remember your memories. Wait, I’ll go to your house and give you some old albums maybe you could remember some more.”

 “You don’t need to….”

 “Why? It will only take a short time. After that, everything will come back to normal.”

Donghae suddenly becomes quiet. He dodges every questions Jessica asks about the reason. He suddenly becomes serious.

“Donghae? Are you just tricking us? You…”

There is an awkward silence in the room. The two of them begins to feel tongue-tied with each other.

“I need to leave. If you don’t want to say the truth, then fine. I worried for nothing.” Jessica felt tricked again. She knows that something’s up with Donghae. She knows it but only Donghae could solve his own problems. She exits the room and closes the door.

After a while, a figure of a woman approaches Donghae’s room. Donghae is happy to see this woman. He smiles as the woman slowly hugs her.

 “You’re awake.”  The woman gave a sinister smile.