Chapter 9

Bawal Mahulog, Kaibigan Kita!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The King's Pawn Opening is everyone's favorite, and I don't know why. Recalling every match I've had with my mother, e4 would always be her starting tile. Then I'd take out my black pawn to e5, meeting hers, and then she'd take out her knight to f3 in order to dominate the center.

 

"You're just like mom when you play," I said to him, unamused—aligning my rook to where his king stood alone and unprotected on the third row. "Check."

 

It feels like I'm playing with a third grader—specifically reminded by the first time I met Jimin. We were in 7th grade, back when no one wanted to play with a nobody like me.

 

She looked cute that day, so I let her win—for the same reasons why mom would always let me eat her king.

 

If losing meant seeing you smile, I'd gladly lose for you all the time.

 

I watch his king escape by bringing it to a different row. Now all it takes is for my queen to trap it. "Checkmate," I say, yawning. "Thanks for letting me win."

 

The old man stares directly at me upon his planned defeat.

 

Hindi mo 'ko makukuha sa pagpapatalo mo. You're not mom. Kaya kitang talunin if you'd only play seriously.

 

"You look just like your mother," He finally speaks. I can feel some emotion in his voice—of longing. "Thank you, Minjeong."

 

My brows form a crease at the center. "For what?"

 

"For playing with me." I scoff at him.

 

"It's not a game until you give me a real one." I responded immediately, eagerly getting up from my chair.

 

Dad and Tita Yoona went to session road for a walk to leave me with the old man since he wanted to spend a private afternoon with me for our game. But now that it's over, I can leave.

 

Gusto ko nang umalis. I want to give my Jimny a run.

 

"Eodiga?" He asks where I'm going in Korean. Buti naintindihan ko.

 

"Out for a drive." I hurriedly exited the garden where we played and back into the house. Kukuha ako ng jacket. Gusto ko na tawagan si Jimin so I can show her our car. I haven't messaged her since I left this morning.

 

But as I stepped out of the house, I saw the old man leaning against it. 

 

"Minjeong, can I sama?" I have to admit, it's cute seeing him try and speak Tagalog.

 

Being told that he was the one who paid for the Jimny, I can't help but prepare the backseat for him. 

 

Yes, sa backseat. Dun ko siya papaupuin. Even I didn't let my dad sit on the front.

 

"Why not next to you?" The old man asks.

 

"The front seat is taken." I said.

 

"Taken?"

 

"It's reserved." Hindi na ako nag-explain pa at tuluyang inayos ang backseat para sa kanya. I helped him get up and shut the door for him. Pumunta na ako sa driver's seat.

 

"Who's the girl in the picture?" He asks, pointing at the 1x1 picture of Jimin na dinikit ko sa rearview mirror while I buckle up. "That's Jimin. My friend." Sagot ko at binuksan na ang makina. 

 

I reach for my Aquaflask para uminom. "Yeojachin-gu aniya?" Nabilaukan ako. 

 

Akala niya girlfriend ko si Jimin.

 

"A-aniyo. No. Hindi. Friend only." I corrected him and began exiting our driveway.

 

"Chin-gu manhayo?" He's asking me if I have a lot of friends.

 

I shook my head. "Just a few."

 

"Do they treat you well?"

 

I just nodded.

 

"I'd like to meet them, Minjeong."

 

I know exactly what he's doing. He's trying to get close to me. Kanina niya pa 'yun ginagawa. But it's only the first day. My walls are still up. Hindi pa ako ready. Marami pa akong tanong.

 

"Next time po." I responded.

 

Biglang tumunog ang selpon ko.

 

Ang misis💙 calling...

 

Right on cue. 

 

Despite the old man being here with me, I didn't hesitate to answer, immediately putting the call on video to see Jimin.

 

Here's to meeting one of my friends...

 

"Minjeong!" Masigla niyang bati. I could tell nasa SC office siya. "I missed y–" The old man suddenly took my phone away from my grip.

 

"Minjeong, focus on the road!" He scolded me.

 

Right, I'm driving. Sorry...

 

"Uh– hi po?" Jimin greeted the old man in an unsure and shy tone.

 

"Yah! You're the one in the picture!" He says aloud, making me cuss under my breath, embarrassed.

 

"Picture? What picture po?" I hear Jimin asking.

 

I panicked from the way the old man scooted forward and flipped my phone to bring it close to the rearview mirror, showing Jimin the 1x1 picture of her I had there placed.

 

While my eyes are on the road, I decided to talk over before she could tease me. "Jimin, meet Kim Yu-il. Mag-english ka para maintindihan ka niya."

 

"Hala, ito na si Lolo?" Hawak pa din nung matanda ang selpon ko kaya hindi ko makita ang reaksyon ni Jimin. 

 

"Pakilala ka na, ikaw na muna kumausap." Malakas kong sabi para marinig niya ako.

 

"Lolo Kim, I'm Jimin. Minjeong's friend," She playfully began. "Annyeonghaseyo!" I saw the way the old man's face lit up.

 

Psh, ako dapat ang kausap eh.

 

"What is Lolo?" Tanong nung matanda sa kaibigan ko.

 

"Oh, right. Sorry po. Uhm, it's grandfather in Tagalog. Harabeoji in Korean if I'm correct. Can we call you that?"

 

"Sure, but Minjeong chooses to call me old man." Aba, nagsumbong pa nga.

 

"Hay nako, Lolo. She's just being stubborn. I'll scold her later for you, you want?"

 

Nyenyenye.

 

"Jimin, I like you already!" The old man says, now the two of them are laughing at the back. I sigh. Parang ayoko na mag-drive.

 

Dahil gusto pang makausap nung matanda si Jimin, hinayaan ko lang muna sila. Habang ako, focus sa pagdadrive papuntang SM Baguio kung saan pwedeng kitain sila dad at Tita Yoona.

 

He asked a ton of questions which my friend gladly entertained:

 

Education? SMU po, 4th year.

 

Course? Communications po.

 

Age? 23 po.

 

Hobbies? Annoying Minjeong po.

 

I scoff upon hearing this.

 

Namjachin-gu? No boyfriend po.

 

Why is he asking questions like these?!

 

Is that your natural hair color? Ay, no po. It's naturally black.

 

You are also Korean, right? Can you speak? My father's Korean po, but I can only speak a bit.

 

Can you punta here in Baguio? If your granddaughter wants me to, I will.

 

Jimin, 'wag mokong sinasali sa usapan niyo!

 

When and how did you meet my granddaughter? She looked cute and lonely playing chess so I decided to play with her. We were in 7th grade po.

 

Oh, so you've known each other for a very long time? Yes po, ever since. We currently share an apartment now here in Manila. We're very, very close. Lagi po kaming magkasama.

 

Yung tono ni Jimin, parang may pinaparating siya at hindi ko alam kung ano 'yun.

 

If that's the case, can I have your number? It feels like you know Minjeong a lot. Of course, Lolo. Wanna be textmates po? I'll make sure to tell you if Minjeong's being stubborn.

 

I pout. These two are ganging up on me.

 

Jimin, sa akin ka lang!

 

"Minjeong-ah, can you give her my number?" The old man suddenly turned to me.

 

"I will if you give her back to me, Lolo." I emphasized the word, finally saying it, hoping it pleases him.

 

"Minjeong, mamaya na tayo. Drive ka na muna diyan. Send pics nalang of the car, okay?" Tinapat sa akin nung matanda ang selpon ko para makita ako ni Jimin. Sumilip ako saglit sa screen para makita din siya. "And be nice to Lolo. Sapakin kita diyan eh." I let out a chuckle, admiring her. Nasabi ko na ba na ang ganda niya?

 

"Let's usap nalang ulit bago matulog. W-wait ko call mo. I want you to focus on your family muna." She added.

 

"Paano ikaw?" I asked while driving.

 

"Eto, magpapagabi sa office para tapusin mga papers." She let out a sigh of frustration. "Yung math club mo andaming kemerut."

 

I look at her apologetically. "Sorry for that. Tulungan kita asikasuhin 'yan paguwi namin mamaya, okay? Call kita agad, I promise."

 

"Wag na, Minjeong. Kaya ko na 'to." Napanguso ako. "O'sya, drive ka na diyan." She then called for the old man. "Lo, it was nice meeting you! Let me know if Minjeong's giving you a hard time ah?" Kaasar talaga 'tong dalawa.

 

"Jimin, we go text soon!" 

 

"Arasseoyo! I'll remind Minjeong to give me your number! Bye, Lolo!"

 

Just like that, the video call ended and my grandfather handed me my phone again—si

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter