Chapter 1

Bawal Mahulog, Kaibigan Kita!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Here's the library," We stood in front of its entrance.

 

...

 

"Dito naman yung com lab. Room 306. Here's where you'll be having your Technical Writing class—magkaklase naman tayo. So, don't worry." I told her.

 

...

 

"And then here's the cafeteria," I looked at my watch. "Sakto, lunch na. So, kumain ka na ba? Sabay ka na sa amin ng friends ko, you want?" I suggested. I'm also really, really hungry.

 

I promised my roommate I'll eat on time.

 

"Kung okay lang sa friends mo," She said. "And I would really like to thank you for the tour, Karina. Salamat."

 

"Just call me Rina, and no problem. Dapat si Chaewon talaga ang a-assist sa'yo today pero umabsent," I sigh. "So, ano? Tara? Let's eat?"

 

"Alright, sige." She shyly agreed.

 

-

 

"Everyone, meet Minju." I introduced the transferee to my girls when I brought her to our table. "She's the transferee Chaewon was suppose to show around. Anyway, she'll be joining us for lunch." They all waved at her and greeted her hello. The girls gladly adjusted to give me and her some space to seat. Hinintay ko siyang makaupo bago ako umupo.

 

"So, Minju, how are you liking SMU?" My friend began. "I'm Yunjin, by the way."

 

"Okay naman," She responded. "Still adjusting."

 

"May mga kakilala ka na ba? Kung wala pa, sama ka muna sa amin. Welcome ka naman dito." Now Ryujin is the one speaking.

 

"Hindi ba student council kayong lahat?" Minju asked.

 

"Just me," I clarified. "Ako VP ng student body." I also introduced how Ryujin, Yunjin, and Gaeul are presidents of their very own organizations in the university. Meanwhile, Yujin's the captain of the current volleyball varsity team.

 

Minju asked for Chaewon, the person who's supposed to be assisting her today. "Ah, she's from a different circle. Pero close ko naman 'yun. I'll introduce you to her pag pumasok na siya. She's been sick lately eh."

 

"Why'd you ask kung taga-student council kami?" I wondered.

 

"Nothing, ang intimidating lang to have a new girl like me. Perhaps I should join an org or something to fit in." She laughed. We chuckled with her.

 

"Silly, 'di mo naman kailangang sumali ng org-" Yunjin assured her but Yujin cut her off. "Try out ka sa team namin, dali! Next week na tryouts. Sayang tangkad mo." Gaeul elbowed Yujin's side.

 

"Eto, makaaya sa tryouts eh chix lang ang hanep," Gaeul teased and turned to Minju. "Ano ba mga interes mo? Each student is actually required to join an org for a year kaya you'll have to join one eventually. Required siya para grumaduate eh."

 

"Hmm," I glance at Minju who's thinking hard right now. "Meron ba sila yung para sa mga nerds?" My girls and I fell confused at what she said. "Uh- yung mga ano...chess, sudoku, rubicks cube, or trivia stuff—something like that." Minju cleared , waiting for us to respond.

 

"For the board games ka pala, sis. It's giving chix na running for laude vibes." Ryujin said. Siya naman ang siniko ni Gaeul for spewing nonsense.

 

I ignore them and decided to enlighten Minju na may onti nang hiya sa kaniyang mukha. "For all I know, there's a chess club you can join. Meron ding math club if you're into that-" 

 

Yunjin cut me off. "Pero wag ka do'n, the org is full of men-"

 

"Huy, 'di kaya! Babae yung president nila 'no! Math at chess pa yun ha." Ryujin informed them. "Speaking off, ayun siya." We all turned to face where Ryujin's lips were pointing to. But I didn't have to.

 

I'm very much aware of who she's referring to. 

 

She, the person we're all looking at now, entered the cafeteria, holding a copy of Dorian Gray in her hand. She has her hair messily clamped up, wearing a white tank top beneath her oversized black blazer, in bicycle shorts.

 

She's also wearing black specs today.

 

"That's...her?" There was curiosity in Minju's voice, parang hindi rin makapaniwala.

 

"That's Winter Kim for all of us." Gaeul informed Minju whose eyes never left the girl.

 

"Winter Kim." Minju attempted to speak the girl's name.

 

Okay, Minju. Baka matunaw si Taglamig.

 

"I feel like you guys will get along naman," Yunjin said. "Kaya i-gora mo na ang chess. Sama mo na din 'tong si Rina." I furrow my brows at the mention of my name.

 

I turn to Yunjin. "Kinalaman ko naman diyan?"

 

"Naginarte ka pa as if I didn't catch you last month falling asleep in the library nang may hawak na chess book!" I feel the heat rise in my cheeks when Yunjin ratted me out.

 

The truth? I was hoping to learn the game and impress someone.

 

"Wala kasi akong maintindihan sa Queen's Gambit, okay?" I said, trying to defend myself but Yunjin's not convinced.

 

"Someone even told me they caught you attending the chess event last week sa Megamall," Ugh, sino ba kasi source nila sa rumors na 'to?

 

But it's not a rumor. I did attend a chess event last week. Why? To support someone.

 

"Rina, you did?" Gaeul gasped, amused. "You told me you hate chess."

 

To tell you the truth, I don't. In fact, I love chess. But I can't seem to admit that just yet. Don't ask why, because I'm afraid to know.

 

"Yes, she did. And she attended daw for three days straight." Yunjin continued ratting me out. I actually attended five days of the event, pero 'di na nila kailangang malaman 'yon.

 

Minju, Ryujin, and Yujin are just listening in.

 

"And what's wrong with that?" I blurted.

 

"Nothing," Yunjin assured, "It's just, maybe you're growing a new hobby that you're ashamed of and we just want you to know na susupport ka naman namin diyan."

 

Boy, they've got it all wrong. "Gin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter