012; black day

bills [discontinued] READ LAST CHAPTER!
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Oh, wow, thanks, Yonghee. You explained it way better than my professor." Melanie commented with a bright smile, now easily finishing up her work.

However, she almost let slipped that Yonghee could actually be better than Jake, but didn't want to cause any issues on that end.

"Either the way she teaches doesn't work for me, or she can't teach and needs to go."

She and Linna were being tutored by Yonghee as Jake had something else to do, leaving Melanie having to ask Linna if she could join hers and Yonghee's session at the last minute the following Tuesday.

"You're welcome, Chaewon."

Yonghee smiled as he overlooked her work.

"So far so good, and who's your professor?"

"Ms. Jung Kyunghee."

"Ah, her, yes. She's just very particular about her teaching style. So, it's not you."

"That's a relief. Thanks."

"Mmhmm."

He looked over at Linna.

"How about you, Yiseul? How are you doing?"

"Um, let's just say Jinah was right about me not understanding the mathematics part."

Linna laughed as Yonghee smiled warmly.

"Math isn't easy for everyone, but there's people like me here to help people like you two to understand it better."

"Yes, much appreciated." The pair beamed as they continued to work on their math problems with Yonghee's help.

Soon enough the pair finished with some time to spare and so decided to questioned Yonghee about Serena.

"So, you dated a Jung Chaejin from Kaepo High School." Melanie started first as Yonghee nodded, eyebrows furrowed.

"Yes, I did. How do you know that?"

"She's my sister and mentioned it when Yiseul told us she got a new tutor."

Yonghee laughed.

"Ah, okay. Yeah, she and I dated for a year, but we found out that we were better off as friends."

"Then did you also know a Jung Yiyeon?"

"I do. She and Chaejin hung out a lot. Why?"

"She's my sister." Linna said with a laugh.

Something clicked in Yonghee's head.

"Ah, that makes sense now. The both of you do look like your sisters now that I see it."

He cast them with an amused look.

"Why the sudden questions?"

"Just curious because Chaejin never talks about her love life." Melanie responded with a sheepish laugh as Melanie agreed.

"Yeah, you're actually the first person she's mentioned of any love life of hers and Yiyeon won't tell us anything either."

Yonghee laughed with a nod.

"Yeah, that definitely sounds like the both of them. They were pretty secretive about their private life, but Chaejin and I did grow close although that could be the reason why we became more like friends than lovers. However, I don't think she ever got into another relationship again in high school though."

"Oh, why?"

"Was it because of you?"

"Yeah, could she not move on from you?"

"We need to know."

Yonghee laughed at their questions, but shook his head.

"No, it wasn't because of me. She wanted to focus on her studies and a boyfriend wasn't a priority, but I do remember her going on a few group dates in her last year of high school and in her first year of university though. After that, she stopped altogether."

The pair gasped.

"Really?"

"No way."

Yonghee laughed at their reactions.

"Yes, but that's just my memory. You'll have to ask her for the truth though as she briefly shared them with me as I never asked about them."

"Oh, no Chaewon today?" Yonghee asked as Thursday rolled around.

Linna chuckled.

"Nope. She returned to her usual tutor so it's just me. Sad?"

"Not really. Just making sure the two of you don't gang up on me and bombard me with more questions."

"Not even, but thanks for reminding me. She and I didn't get a chance to ask Chaejin about her dates."

Yonghee laughed as he settled himself across from Linna.

"She's definitely gonna hate me for mentioning that."

"Oh, well. It is what it is."

She cast him with a playful look.

"Do you think you could spill anything else about Yiyeon or Chaejin that you could think of?"

Yonghee shot her a playful smile as well.

"I will, if you improved on your math skills."

"Boo. You're no fun." Linna frowned as Yonghee laughed.

"I, on the other hand, do find math very fun. You would, too, if you just give it some time."

"Says you, but at least that's one of us."

Yonghee shot her a sweet smile.

"I'll tell you this though, your sister also joined Chaejin in her group dates though."

"Wow, really? She's never mentioned that."

"Again, don't tell them it was me."

"I won't."

"Good. So, what problems do you have today for me?"

"Um, a lot. So, please explain these to me."

Linna pulled out her books for Yonghee to oversee.

"Chaewon didn't know how to do them either and neither did Chaejin or Yiyeon when I asked them."

"Hmm, let me see."

Yonghee peered at her worksheets and went straight away in explaining the problems to her which made much more sense after his explanations.

"So, I heard you got a new tutor." Jake stated as he joined Melanie at one of the empty tables in the library.

"I did last Tuesday." She answered in a nonchalant tone while pulling out her study materials.

"Why?"

Melanie's brows furrowed at his simple question.

"Because I needed help with math that day and you weren't available."

"So you had to find someone new?"

"Well, yes for the time being, of course. Math is difficult for me and I couldn't wait for you to explain it to me as it was due today."

Melanie wasn't sure why Jake seemed upset about this as she could slightly hear it in his tone of voice.

"I mean, Jake, if you're not up for it, then I could go back to him and leave you alone to focus on other things."

"No, no." Jake quickly responded.

"It's okay. I'm just saying that's all. You don't need to go back to him."

Jake didn't bother to ask who the other tutor was, but for some reason it irked him that Melanie had a backup tutor if he wasn't available to help her.

"Okay, well, anyway, this formula doesn't seem to work when I check my work. Can you tell me where or what I'm doing wrong?"

Melanie placed her worksheets before Jake, just wanting help with her studies and not focusing on what tutor gets to help her on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

"Happy Black Day to us!" The cousins cheered as they clicked their cups of cola.

The four were at home after ordering jjajangmyeon, danmuji, tangsuyuk, and kimchi for this single holiday. Despite making chocolates on Valentine's Day and giving them away as well as receiving gifts on White Day, the four were still single and in no rush for a relationship. Or well that's what they tell themselves anyway. They could've celebrated with their other single friends, but they actually wanted to do a whole hangout and the four didn't feel like socializing at the moment.

"I mean, Linna would've been the closes to being in a relationship if she confessed." Kierra remarked as Linna rolled her eyes.

"Not even. I haven't even wrote him another letter since the day Serena got caught."

"Which reminds me, Sunghon is curious on when you'll write him another later." Serena mentioned as the three stared at her.

"Really? Why?"

"No clue."

Their attention focused on Linna now.

"Are you gonna write him another one?"

Linna shrugged.

"Didn't feel like it? I dunno, like I have these feelings for him, but writing a letter doesn't seem all that appealing now."

"Hmm, maybe a face to face confession would be better than." Serena commented as Linna shook her head.

"Yeah, no way."

The other three burst into laughter as Linna rolled her eyes.

"Y'all are so annoying."

"Anyway, let's see which of our friends are in a relationship." Serena suggested as she pulled out a notebook and pen.

"I feel like we need to keep track."

"Do you mean the friends we all know together, or our individual friend group, too?" Melanie questioned.

"The four of us actually know."

Soon enough the four started listing the pairing of their friends.

"Seona and Kyungjun."

"Seoyeon and Seokjun."

"Yewon and Jaehyun."

"Sungyeon and Euijoo."

"Yunjin and Nicholas."

"Hanbin and Gaeun."

"Who else?"

Serena continued to write the names of their friends' relationship as the others commented on more.

"Soobin and Arin."

"No way?!"

"Really?"

"Oops, . I wasn't supposed to say anything."

"Oh, you spilled the beans!"

"Shut up, but they're relationship is still on the down low just like Geonu and Seri and Jimin and Risae."

Serena facepalmed herself at having revealed two more couples amongst their friends.

"Ooh, I'm telling them."

"No, don't. Just don't say anything."

"Okay, okay."

"We got it."

"Don't worry about it. I'm not like you."

"Whatever. Anyway, who else?"

"I think that's it."

"Yeah, I can't think of anyone else."

"Mmhmm, that's it."

"Oh!" Serena beamed playfully.

"Cannot forget Linna and Sunghoon. Melanie and Jake. And of course, Kierra and Jay."

Serena laughed as her sister and cousins rolled their eyes with Linna picking up a pillow nearby to smack Serena with as the latter defended herself.

"Okay, okay. I'm joking. Sorry."

She was not the least sorry at all as she continued to laugh with the three joining her a second later.

"By the way, Serena, when are you gonna returned Heeseung's his suit jacket?" Kierra inquired a moment later.

"When I can."

"Yeah, but when. I'm sure he needs it."

"When I can, Kierra. Sheesh."

Serena wanted to be left at that, but her sister and cousin wanted to ask her other stuff.

"Who did you go on group dates with back in high school?"

"And in your first year of college?"

"Who told you that?"

Serena eyed them as the younger two beamed.

"Yonghee."

"That

Please log in to read the full chapter