Maybe Maybe

Nobody Gets Me (Like You)

It hurts to care about someone more than they care about themselves. 

Chaewon is not dumb. She knew from the very beginning that Minju had a secret. And that includes her friends.

"What?" Minju asked. 

"I just appreciate all the help you've done for me, that's all." Chaewon answered and chuckled. Her eyes continue observing the younger woman. Minju has always been secretive. 

"It's a weird time to be sentimental, don't you think? This is all about Winter and Karina Unnie, let's not rain on their parade." Minju always knows how to avoid the topics, and Chaewon is getting tired of understanding her. But as the younger woman says, this night is not about them. 

Right on cue, Karina entered the restaurant. Her eyes locked with Winter. She quickly went to them and apologized.

"I am sorry for being so late. I was needed in the hospital," she explained.

"We're done eating," Jennie said. Karina smiled apologetically before sitting beside Winter.

"So, how's dinner?" Karina asked. Chaewon rolled her eyes. Dinner was uneventful. Boring. And if Winter didn't insist, she wouldn't be coming here. 

"The food is very delicious. We will make sure to go back," Minju answered. Winter chuckled and blushed.

"Thank you," she said. 

"It's getting late, should we hit the road?" Jisoo asked. 

"But Karina just got here, Unnie." Winter said sadly. 

"Hey, it's fine, honey. Besides, Jisoo Unnie is right, we should go home," Karina uttered. She smiled at her wife before looking at their family. 

"I am really glad that you all took the time for me, even though I barely made it. I hope that everything will go well, and you'll help me be the best wife for Winter," Karina said as she raised her glass. The others did the same. 

"To better days with you," Winter said as their glasses clinked. Chaewon watched them. How could her sister marry someone she barely knows? And how could that someone be her fake girlfriend's friend? 

It irritates her. It angers her. It makes her ing blood boil. How could that person know everything about Minju? How could she know everything and she doesn't?

"You've been glaring at Karina Unnie," Minju said like she's stating the most obvious thing. 

"I have poor eyesight, Minju. Might be why," she answered, lying. 

Most of their friends started getting out of the restaurant. Jisoo and Lisa were the first to go. Then Rosé, and after a short while, Chaewon saw her sister running after the woman. 

"When are you guys leaving? I can help you close," Chaewon asked her sister. Karina and Minju were in a corner, talking in hushed voices. They look like they are arguing over something. 

"We'll leave in a few. You can leave first, though. Karina will help me, don't worry," her sister said. Chaewon shrugged. She looked at Minju before nodding her head. 

Chaewon left, she rested her back on the wall of the restaurant. She's waiting for Minju because she just saw Rosé drive away. 

"Why are you still here?" Minju asked as she stopped in front of Chaewon. 

"I'm waiting for you. Your friend just left, figured you hitched a ride earlier." Chaewon answered. Her eyes scan Minju. How can someone be so ethereal? 

"So? What is it to you, Chaewon?" Minju asked dryly. The older woman always knows that Minju doesn't like her. At least, not as much as she thought.

"Can I drive you home? You know, as a thank you," and she wanted to spend more time with the younger woman. 

"I can manage. You don't have to be always so grateful to me, you know. I did what other people would do," but she is not like other people for Chaewon. 

Minju was always that mysterious girl that Chaewon wanted to decipher. 

"Still, let me take you home." She insisted. Minju raised a brow.

"If you're worried about me being in danger, don't be. I can take care of myself," Chaewon knows. She always knew that Minju could take care of herself, but she still wanted to do it for her. She wants to take care of her. 

"Just please? Let me drive you home." She pleaded. Chaewon pleaded. She never begs, she's the Kim Chaewon. 

Minju shrugged. She can always say no, but Chaewon is persistent. 

"Okay, then." She started walking towards the older woman's car. She may act coldly towards her, but she does care. 

She heard Chaewon cheer silently. She didn't look her way, she couldn't embarrass the older woman. 

Minju is not as dense or dumb as her other friends. She knows. She knew how Chaewon looked at her a second longer than friends should. Or how she always makes time to "thank her" for what she did. 

Chaewon was being stalked when they were in College. She helped them apprehend the stalker, like any normal citizen would do. 

"Took you long enough," she mumbled when Chaewon opened the door for her. 

"Well, you waited." Chaewon flashed her the brightest smile. The type where her eyes disappear. 

Minju realized something that night. 

She loves Chaewon too, not the way the older woman wanted to be loved.