Horrible News

Can 2 Injured Souls Save Each Other

Sungjong was bent over the toilet bowl as he continued coughing.  There were tears streaming down his face.  He wasn’t in pain, but he was scared.  He was disappointed and upset at how bad his condition had gotten.  It wasn’t this bad with his first chemotherapy session.  He glimpsed the toilet bowl as he coughed again.  There was a lot of blood on his lips and each time he coughed he could see the toilet bowl getting redder.  He continued coughing as he heard Sungyeol on the other side.

“It’s bad, hyung.”

Sungyeol tried the knob and turned it.  Sungjong hadn’t locked it.  His tall friend quickly came in and almost screamed in shock but Sungjong could see him holding it in. 

“Jongie!” Sungyeol said.  He rushed down and quickly grabbed a towel to wipe Sungjong’s face.  He handed him a new one and quickly picked Sungjong up from the floor.  He rushed past the frozen Myungsoo and laid Sungjong gently on his bed. 

Sungjong stared at Myungsoo who had turned his head towards him.  This is why he didn’t want Myungsoo to see him or even “hear” him.  He didn’t want Myungsoo to care about him and worry.  Sungjong felt a pain of guilt as he remembered what he had said to the older boy just a few minutes ago.  How would he be able to support Myungsoo, if he felt that he wouldn’t be able to for long? Sungyeol pushed the bell on top of the bed and was about to run out the door to get more help, but Sungjong grabbed his wrist.

“Hyung you need to get Myungsoo out of here.  He stays in the burn victim ward near the dining hall.” 

Sungyeol looked hesitant, but nodded.  He gently grabbed Myungsoo and guided him out the door. 

Sungjong watched Myungsoo leave with a sad look on his face.  Myungsoo looked really lost. 

 

“I don’t know what to say,” the doctor began glumly, “It seems that Sungjong’s body is rejecting chemotherapy.”

“But that didn’t happen last time!” Sunggyu yelled at the doctor.

“This sometimes happens.  The good thing is—“

“How can this be good?” Sungyeol screamed. 

“It’s still too early to tell.  Right now Sungjong’s body is still weak from the operation.  There might be a chance that his antibiotics are fighting the chemo.  We can either continue with chemotherapy to see if his body will accommodate it—“

“But he’s hurting!” Sunggyu hugged Sungjong to him. 

“If you want to stop chemotherapy, I’m afraid there’s nothing more we can do for Sungjong.  If he’s strong,” the doctor turned to Sungjong and patted him on the shoulder, “and I know you are, Sungjong, then he can possibly live a somewhat healthy life.  There are few cases but it’s possible.”  The doctor went closer to Sunggyu and whispered in his ear but Sungjong heard the doctor’s words, “But if he doesn’t do chemotherapy, he’ll most likely die.” 

Sungjong fell back against the bed as he heard those words.  He had no idea what he was going to do.