Waiting For a Visit

Can 2 Injured Souls Save Each Other

            Myungsoo randomly kicked his blankets off of his bed in frustration.  He was so angry!  He couldn’t do anything without his eye-sight.  He was basically confined to this room and he couldn’t get use to this helplessness at all.  When he needed to use the restroom he would have to ring a bell for assistance.  Without anything to do, all he could think of were memories of the accident.  And this only brought frustration, sadness, guilt, and depression.  He had been so careless, so stupid. 

He heard light footsteps down the hall and turned his head slightly when he heard them stop outside his door.  He sat up in his bed and stared at where the door should be.  But the person didn’t step inside.  Myungsoo was pretty sure the person didn’t leave either. 

            Suddenly almost hesitantly the footsteps entered his room. 

            “Hello?” a boy’s soft voice met Myungsoo’s ears, but Myungsoo didn’t acknowledge it.  He remained emotionless and “cool.” 

            He heard the boy walk near him and then sit in the chair beside Myungsoo’s bed. 

            “Hi, I’m Sungjong!  I’m 18!” the happy voice chirped.  After all the isolation, Myungsoo should’ve been happy.  But the boy’s voice was too happy, so he decided to ignore him.  He heard Sungjong shift in his chair and then Myungsoo felt a hand hold onto his. 

            Myungsoo gave a gasp as he felt the soft hand on top of his.  It was the same hand that had helped him retrieve his photo earlier.  The hand let go of his and then Myungsoo felt something being shoved into his hand. 

            “I got this ice-cream for you.  I hope you like vanilla,” he heard Sungjong perch back in his chair. 

            “I…do,” Myungsoo managed to say.  His voice was somewhat hoarse.  He didn’t talk much and since being admitted into this hospital two weeks ago, he rarely spoke at all. 

Myungsoo let the ice cream cone stay in his hands.  He heard the boy chuckle at him, “You’re supposed to it.  Do you need help?” The hands were grabbing his again.  Myungsoo felt a warm sensation go through him at Sungjong’s touch.  He really craved for some company. 

            “I can do it myself,” Myungsoo mumbled.  Despite not being able to see, he could still feed himself.  However, Sungjong was soon laughing at him.  Myungsoo had managed to apply a coat of ice cream lipstick all over his face.  He felt Sungjong wipe away the mess on his face.  As soon as Sungjong was done, Myungsoo was slightly alarmed when he didn’t hear the chair move back.  Sungjong was walking towards the exit. 

            “Are you going?” Myungsoo asked.  He hated how he sounded so vulnerable.  But he liked the company. 

            “Yeah,” the boy said simply, “by the way what’s your name?”

            “Myungsoo.  Kim Myungsoo,” Myungsoo said.  He turned his gaze away so he was facing the wall.  He could feel Sungjong staring at him. 

            “It was nice to meet you, Kim Myungsoo.” 

            Myungsoo heard Sungjong shut his door and wondered if the boy would visit him again.  He laid back in his pillows; the feeling of Sungjong’s hand on his, fresh on his mind. 

 

           Myungsoo hoped for the next few days that the boy would visit him again.  The nurses that came in to check on him hourly weren’t enough company to keep him satisfied.  Even though he hated it at first, he now craved the happy vibe that the boy exuded.  He was like a ray of sunshine, warming up the room.  Myungsoo needed someone to warm him up.  He was considered an ice prince after all. 

            It had been a week and the boy hadn’t come back.  Myungsoo had basically given up all hope.  He reached for the drawer beside his bed and grabbed onto the picture frame standing on it.  Yes, he was smart enough to ask someone to put the picture into a frame so it wouldn’t wrinkle or fly away again.  Even if he couldn’t see it, just knowing it was there was enough to make him happy.  He sighed; he thought his parents would be here by now.  Apparently they were too busy to visit their injured son.   

            Myungsoo’s heightened sense of hearing picked up shuffling feet coming down the hall.  They were soft footsteps; the walker couldn’t weigh much.  Myungsoo got this sudden burst of hope that maybe it was Sungjong. 

            The shuffling stopped outside his door again and stayed there for a while.  Myungsoo froze in a sitting position on his bed.  He turned his head to face the door.  Suddenly, the footsteps started walking away.

            “Wait!” Myungsoo found himself yelling.  The footsteps stopped and turned around.  They were now in front of his room again. 

            “Are you…” Myungsoo didn’t want to look like an idiot if it wasn’t the boy but at the same time he had a feeling that it was him, “Sungjong?” 

            The light footsteps entered the room and went to the edge of his bed.  Myungsoo reached out his hand but almost immediately put it beside him on the bed again. 

            “You remember me?”

            Myungsoo strained to listen to Sungjong’s voice.  It was softer than last time and not as hyper as it was before.  It almost sounded like it was a pain for him to speak.  Myungsoo started worrying when he heard the boy panting. 

            He wanted to start a conversation so Sungjong wouldn’t have to talk but he realized he was really bad with this kind of stuff. 

            “I tried to visit earlier,” Sungjong said. 

            “What happened?” Myungsoo asked curiously, but it sounded like he was blaming Sungjong.  Sungjong chuckled and Myungsoo felt something being laid beside his bed.  He looked at where he felt the extra weight but didn’t do anything else. 

            “You’re not the only who’s hurt you know.” 

            Myungsoo touched the thing on his bed and felt those soft hands again.  He tried to grab onto them but Sungjong already removed them from his bed. 

            “There you are!” Myungsoo jumped as he heard an additional voice and it was extremely pissed, relieved, and scared at the same time. 

            “Jong-ah you can’t just disappear like that!”

            “Aish I’ve been feeling so caged lately I just had to get out of there,” Sungjong whined.  It hurt Myungsoo’s heart to hear the boy whine like that.  He wondered what kind of condition Sungjong had. 

            “It’s only because we’re worried about you! Your body has to be ready for the oper—“

            “I get it hyung,” Sungjong interrupted.  Myungsoo heard the footsteps nearing and then he heard Sungjong give an angry shout.  He guessed the guest had picked up Sungjong into his arms.  Was Sungjong that skinny? 

            “You can talk to him later when you recover,” the voice scolded, “I’m sorry about that, but he really shouldn’t be here.”  Myungsoo knew the last sentence was directed at him and he nodded. 

            He heard heavy footsteps quickly retreat from his room and shouted, “Are you going to be okay?” before they completely disappeared. 

            “I’ll be fine in no time!” Sungjong said joyfully.  Myungsoo let a smile appear on his face, hoping that the boy understood that he would wait for him to visit again.