You are the Reason

TAEUN Playlist

They both were leaning on their arms, holding the metal railing in front of them, as they watched the orange sky turn pink and violet shades now with the time passing in their silence.

They were meeting on this spot after nearly three years. 

It was the place they would visit together often in old times, which gradually was reduced to zero after getting busy in their work life.

It was a terrain they had found on the outskirts of the city, with a wide view of the whole city, and hardly having time to drive this far after work, they had almost forgotten this place existed for them. 

“Why aren’t you saying anything?” she asked, taking a glance at him, as he turned his head to look at her at the same time, with his lips curling up slowly into a soft smile, 

How can you smile like that after doing this to me?

Her heart was not at all calm to smile back, rather it was getting out of her hold now, showing the lines on her forehead, in the blow of emotions, waiting for him to say something.

Seeing his silent smile grow more, her lips parted to breath, looking back on the sky in the shade of violet by now, as she heard his soft snicker beside her, when she was now staring into the void, as thoughts started coming back to her head, which were soon transformed on her lips as the silence followed only for her to break it with the smooth start of words, “Oppa should know you are the only reason I am here today” she was sulking already in attempt to make it sound as casual as possible, as the silence continued on his side, raising her adrenaline.

He knew that.

He knew she was screaming inside for him to talk to her about the words he had told her yesterday, and he knew he was being a jerk again, teasing her at such times of all, but she was cute, as always, especially when she would let her emotions out, wanting him to calm her in return.

He turned to lean back on his hips, resting them on the railing for support, as he was facing her now, folding his arms against his chest, watching her expectantly, as she sent a sharp glance at his smiling face this time, making him shrug, pouting.

“I’m going back” she raised her eyes at him, losing her temper now, turning to walk, but he had reached to grab her shoulders on both sides, as she heard him chuckle, stifling a smile herself, when he had turned her around now to face him, making her stand in front of him, as they were looking into each other’s eyes for a moment.

“I didn’t call you to send you back” finally she heard his voice after that long deep quietness, as she felt her heart pinching her soul now in that short second with the effect of his few words.

“Then why did you call me back?” She reached to push his hands away, trying to stay in her stance, releasing herself from his hold to take a step back, as he straightened himself, making her  her eyes in question up to keep looking into his, as he had moved forward to stand closer.

He kept looking in her eyes, taking slow deep breaths, and she was just feeling the intensity of his gaze getting stronger, as he moved a step ahead to make her step back in reflex, flustered by the warmth in his proximity, as she was feeling the flush on her cheeks already, losing herself to his play like always, 

“what you said on the call-” she started again, to bring up the main discussion, warning him with the resolute gaze again, who was pulling back the silent tease on her, but she was interrupted by his stepping ahead again, and she was supposed to step back in return, but before she could move was restricted by his arms held together on her back, as she watched him, with widened gaze, questioning silently, making him smirk then, pulling her closer enough that her hand was on his chest to brace her posture, “Didn’t you came here to hear me out?”  

“I did” she muttered under her deep breath, letting out a quick pout, making him chuckle at her cuteness, as she was watching him with a stubborn face now, making him turn serious for real this time . 

“I am sure about what I said” he added, as she continued watching him a questioned face, “Even if you want to stay in Busan for next three years or longer” “I don’t want to breakup with you”

Now that he was seeing her face to face, rethinking his decision just made it more and more clearer that he wanted her in his life in all those circumstances. 

They had a fight a week ago over this, Naeun had got promotion as chief editor of the magazine, she was working for four years now, and she needed to shift to Busan for that, and Taemin had a job for himself, he was the executive manager of his branch in Seoul, and there was no possible chance that he could ask for his transfer at this point of time of his career.

They realized they needed to talk, but the talk was dragged into just another ranting competition with all the unsaid complaints till now, and it eventually ended up with Naeun blurting out the word first.

Of course, she was not thinking of breaking up right away, but already aware of the scenario that would follow the long distance relationship they were talking about, she wanted to ease his burden of making the decision, and she thought he’ll agree with her as she had mentioned it first. 

But he had left that day without saying back even a word in response after hearing her suggestion.

They were in this relationship for last four years, and after since Taemin’s promotion last year, they hardly were going on much dates with their work schedules clashing all the time, a vacation trip was due since three Christmases now because both of them couldn’t afford a long leave in these past three years, and if she had to leave for Busan in this condition now, she knew it would be hard to understand each other, and she didn’t wanted to see this downfall of their relationship, so she had came up with this solution by herself.

She had to leave for Busan the next day without having the chance to talk to him again.

She knew maybe she had hurt him more than she thought, and it was selfish that she didn’t call him back and had left without trying to meet him again, but it was frustrating at the same time that he still had not replied to her in all the time she was waiting for his word in return.

A week of restless nights, followed by the load of work in the day, and she knew she was not fine with not contacting him back, till he finally called her yesterday.

“I can’t break up with you” That's what he said on the call.

Fiddling with a lingering curiosity of the meaning behind his words, she was dying to hear more of that statement, but he wanted to meet her in person to talk further. 

They had decided to meet for the weekend in Busan, but she couldn’t wait three more days and by evening she was in Seoul today, standing before him here on the spot where they had confessed their feelings for each other four years ago, ending the friendship or per say the ‘flirt’ they were playing for a year before that. It was indeed a place with lots of good memories.

He chose the place and she was wondering why, although driving herself all the way out of the city anyway, only to understand him better yet again when she reached there earlier to have some time by herself, finding herself reminiscing all the good times they had together, before they were busy with life so much.

The place was a token of all the reasons they had four years ago, to give this romance the chance it needed, the reason to give themselves the freedom of taking that step and agree for the commitment with their new journey.

The impact of that nostalgic feeling was working on both of them, for them to acknowledge why they were with each other. at first place.

“What made you think that I was taking this relationship so casually?” he asked, continuing to stare into her eyes, making her part to speak, but he spoke ahead before she could, “Why do we have to break up for a reason like this?” his unflinching gaze on her was squeezing her heart now, as words had caught her tongue with the guilt creeping on her slowly now.

She didn’t really understand till now that she was ignoring his and her own intentions in this relationship all this time, caught in the tragedy of the twist of events in their life suddenly, she ended up firing the anxiety in her head of losing him in a bad way, and had fallen into the trap of her own pessimistic circle of thoughts.

“I don’t want to fight with you” she answered briefly with what was on her mind in the moment,

“Okay!” he had a quick & short reply for her, as she observed him puzzled,

“I don’t want to hate myself for ignoring you” she went on, trying to read his mind, exposing the parts of her own, curious about all his answers now, “I don’t want to hate you for ignoring me in the work” and he simply nodded, “I agree”

She chuckled only to turn more serious again, as he was focused on her intently, “Does oppa really think we can do this?” she asked still hesitant, testing his diligence, only for him to pull her closer, leaning in to grab her in a hug, “Hmm” 

She was speechless, lost for words, till she felt his warmth enveloping her gradually, as her hand slid down to reach his back holding his overcoat weakly. 

“If it’s you” “I want to make it work” she heard his soft voice warming the skin behind her ear, as she lifted her head to rest her chin on his shoulder, “I’m not confident” she confessed honestly, still thinking about many issues that were worrying her.

“I know” he replied, too quick, filling the silent gap immediately before she could think farther, “I’m just asking you to stay” 

He pulled back to look at her, taking her hand in his, to stand with a narrow gap of air between them, as she was waiting for his words ahead, “I know I did started taking you for granted, and ignored us for a very long time now”

“I did that too” she murmured, pursing her lips, making him blink in surprise, as she took a long breath watching him, “We have lost our so much time together” she added, only to make him nod softly in agreement, looking away with thoughts clouding his mind now, as his eyes came back to her, making her smile, watching his concerned face, “That is why we shouldn’t lose more”  he added, with a reassuring smile.

All her mind was stable on those words of his now, as she stared into his eyes deeper to reach the conclusion she was searching for after feeling that calmness between them, “I haven’t stopped loving you” he had that adoring eyes, nudging her insights, “Have you?” and she shook her head in denial, reading the truth in his words, almost reaching her answer as well,

“I know I don’t say it out much but you’re very precious to me” he added another sincere confession, as she could feel his heart in every sense, that was connecting to her right now.

“I want to give you all the love you deserve, Naeun-ah” "I need you in my life"

She wasn’t saying anything in words, and he was clueless what she may say even after trying his best to convince her by all the words he could think of, “Why are you so quiet?” he bit his lip nervously, pulling one of her hands in his,

“I think I’m falling for you again” she replied with the same blank face now, making him blink in surprise, only to end up blushing further, making her look away stifling her own smile then.

They ended up looking back at each other with the calm smile stuck to their lips now, "I'm sorry for saying that we should break up" she had that soft guilt to clear from her heart, as he shook his head immediately, "You don't have to" he whispered, pulling her back into the hug, as she held him tighter this time.

Her forehead was pressed against his neck as he was wrapped her into his arms, as they stayed there for few minutes or more.

"I'm really sorry" her voice was trembling, as the sobs followed making him pull her back, when he found her eyes closed with the tears falling down her cheeks, "Aigoo!" he puffed out a breath cutely, wiping the tears on her cheeks, as she was just crying more feeling his tender touch caressing her carefully.

"Stop crying" "You're gonna make me cry too" he had his forehead on hers, holding her face in his palms warmly, as they both were pouring out their tears, relieved now by saving their own hearts getting crushed by none other than themselves.

Her hand had grabbed the lapel of his coat tightly in support, tipping her head to the side to press a soft kiss against his lips, as his hand on her cheek was intact, only to let him hold her firm, to continue the kiss.

 

 

 


A/N :

Okay a fluffier story this time, though it's still a bit emotional one, hope you enjoyed it!

I may write a more happier one next time for sure ^^ 

Let me know if you're craving for some specific kind of mood for the next stories of this dynamic couple, I'm enjoying writing every kind of interaction of these two in one frame.

They both are one of a kind personalities and it's fun to put them together in different kind of scenarios, I'm enjoying writing TAEUN more than I thought.

Thank you for reading !!