NIght Away

TAEUN Playlist


 

It was the new year’s night……

The night where everywhere there were fireworks in the sky, but his heart was dark and empty today.

He had stopped the car on the highway, just to watch the fireworks more attentively, in hope that he could fill the quiet in his heart with the crackling sounds and sparkling lights he could watch outside right now.

Last year, they watched it together, kissed each other a happy new year under the same blue lamp in the park they have been going together for the past 8 years now.

Everything had ended like that disintegrating firework, in a single blast, parts of their feelings were separated by the chaotic explosion, supposed to disappear in the air.

But today again, he was missing her, once more, out of nowhere, he was reminded of her by the most random thing he could see in the world.

Even if he had to feel that embarrassment again, he wanted to see her once.

He kept staring at the colorful blasts continuing in the sky with his head filled with thoughts about her.

How was she doing? What she must be doing right now?

Did she think of him like he does everyday?

It was the first time they had not seen each other for such a long time.

He started the engine again, and stepped on the accelerator, thinking of a place he wanted to go……

The bridge was crowded, filled with people enough to make him feel suffocated even standing out of the crowd.

He walked in, trying to make his way to the spot across the bridge, he wanted to visit, the fireworks show was still going on, making the atmosphere loud enough to make him dizzy as he was walking with his eyes low on the ground to avoid the sight of all the people hustling around him.

He could finally see the ground covered with blue light from the lamp hanging on the tree as usual, as he looked up to find the bench he was searching for under the tree.

His feet had stopped on the spot, noticing a similar figure on the bench he was searching for.

Naeun was there, sitting alone on the bench, rubbing her hands together without gloves as usual, fighting the freezing cold on her own today, while watching the fireworks when her beautiful, big eyes were glowing with the colorful reflections.

He was contemplating now if he should really be going ahead in front of her.

A fear was growing inside him all of a sudden.

As much as he wanted to see her earlier, now that she was there for real, he was afraid that she would be disappointed to see him there.

Before he could move anywhere with his wavering heart, her gaze had shifted on him, not leaving him much choice but to walk to her.

She raised herself from the bench, walking to him, with the predictable surprised expression, as his steps slowed down again, making her walk forward to stand in front of him.

Both had nothing to say suddenly, flustered and much shocked by each other’s unexpected presence in the familiar place, it was somehow awkward than they would have thought. 

Besides, seeing each other for the first time after 8 months of their breakup, at that place of all, was definitely not comfortable.

“Hii?” she managed to speak something, but it was just more embarrassing making Taemin chuckle, getting out of his own dilemma, as she looked away, lost for words thereafter.

“Put this on first” she heard him turning back to him, but noticed the gloves in his hand, he had removed, as she remembered her freezed hands again.

“It’s okay” she shook her head, putting her hands inside her coat pocket, “I’m fine” she reassured, sniffing because of the freezed nose now to be able to speak properly.

“Take it” “You’re freezing” he urged, watching her flustered face trying to mask the numerous thoughts going through her head.

“Think of me as some stranger” he extended the gloves in his hand to her again, as she took them this time, “Why are you a stranger?”

“Would I be surprised like this seeing some stranger?” she had her complaining tone, making him smile, as he watched her put his gloves on.

“I should be carrying an extra pair in case I see you freezing again” he joked, watching the gloves fit her perfectly, as she was squeezing her hands to adjust them properly, when she looked up giving him a serious look.

His expression changed to a straight face as well, “You forget them all the time” he murmured under his nervous breath now, finally distracted to hear the crowd around them again, as he looked around deliberately to escape her gaze on him right now.

Naeun was just smiling, watching him act like the cute, cautious boy she knew of him.

“You didn’t like this place much because of the crowd here” she had no intention of shifting her eyes from him, as he hummed, continuing to look around to see all the people still filling every corner of that beautiful landscape, “It would be much better if I could have it for myself” “I’m kind of selfish like that, you know” he had a pretty long smile, as he turned back to her.

She was caught off-guard, not expecting to suddenly match eyes with him, as she didn’t flinch on outside but everything inside her was reacting, her heart was racing, her stomach was clenching, her hands were sweating inside his gloves now, as she blinked finally to respond, “You ARE SELFISH!!” she nodded with a blank face, she was feeling like that Naeun from 6-7 years back in time, who would go crazy over a single look from Taemin like this, 

“You only think of yourself” she added, looking into his humbled eyes, who knew the meaning behind her words.

Taemin's gaze lowered, staring at the ground, he had nothing to say in his defense.

He was caught in his own struggles of uplifting himself from his failure to realize that Naeun was suffering with him, together, all this time. She was taking all his tantrums, trying to understand him but nothing was working, he was too frustrated for her to handle it in calm anymore.

He had realized that big time now, but didn’t get a chance to show her in any way after addressing the truth himself, she had already emptied the space in his life he could never fill again. 

He was scared to ask for forgiveness, after hurting her with his ego at the top of everything at that time. He had no right to treat her that way.

“Just say sorry once” she spoke, seeing him avoid her eyes, “I’m sorry” she heard his low voice, as she reached for his face, lifting it by his chin, to match their eyes again, as she could see his teary eyes now, losing her toughness too, “Say it once more” her voice was losing strength too.

“Sorry!” “I’m really sorry for leaving you alone” a tear dropped, as he bit on his lip to control them.

“I was selfish” “I was only thinking of myself” “And I feel terrible about it now” his moist eyes, softened, seeing the tears in Naeun’s eyes forming enough to break now, as she did broke before able to speak anything in return, 

“I missed you” her voice trembling as she spoke, making her drop down to sit, hiding her face between her knees and chest, as she continued to cry inside.

He sat down on his knees, hugging her curled body, as he tightened his arms around her, feeling her shivering inside, trying to rub her arms alongside to warm her a little.

She was breaking apart for real today, releasing out all the anger & frustration she was holding in.

Naeun didn’t wanted to fight him when she could see him drifting apart from her, he was so different from what she had seen of him in their 8 years of relationship, she couldn’t find a reason to argue when he was busy being anxious about his problems instead of sharing them with her, she had left without saying much than, ‘Let’s break up’

They hadn’t argued like normally the couples do, knowing each other too well to play the blame game, and have the race of winning over each other, and maybe that was their biggest problem, they knew each other too well.

Naeun recognized in this time apart from him that she had been keeping all the things she was not liking about Taemin’s changing attitude to her own self as well, and she couldn’t find a way to express it when she wanted to, which had turned into a growing hate that she couldn’t recognize with time.

She genuinely hated him in that moment, acting reckless enough to give up on their bond of 8 years that easily, and leave everything in that anger of not being able to help him in any way.

She had stopped crying after a while, as he was still holding her, making her raise her head to look at him.... but they heard the whistle from the security guard approaching their way, asking all the public to empty the area. 

As they both stood up to stand, their hands into each other naturally now, making her look back at him, “Come with me” she pulled his hand in her, running to an old telephone booth on the other side of the park.

As both of them ran inside the booth, closing the door and sliding down to sit as they saw the security approaching that side of the park now.

“What are we doing?” he asked in a whisper, catching his breath, watching her catch hers, as she chuckled, taking a look at the glass of the booth, before answering, “Getting this place for ourselves” her eyes had a light in them, as she was watching him get lost in them.

They heard the whistle louder, now hiding their faces down in terror, as they ended up holding their hands in each other tightly, praying to not get caught there.

“Do you think he’s gone?” Naeun asked in hush, as Taemin was staring at her hands holding onto his tightly, “I don’t think so” he just wanted to reserve this moment, even if it was for a while.

She heard the whistle sound fading away, but could also see Taemin’s eyes stuck on their hands together, “Why did you come here today?” she had to ask it now,

“I was missing you” he had a simple answer.

“I miss us, together” his thumb on the back of her hand was softly caressing her skin,

Are we getting back together?

The thought crossed her mind, as she had stood up abruptly, making him stand too, as they walked out of the booth with their hands entwined, like it was the most natural thing they knew to do right now.

They were having all kinds of thoughts, feeling flustered & confused about their actions now, and yet they were not willing to leave each other’s hands for that matter.

The magnificent space of that beautiful park around them was so quiet under the peaceful moonlight now, as they were standing opposite each other, taking in all the quietness with a pleased smile. 

“How did you came up with this?” he had a joyful grin on his lips, a bit overwhelmed by what was happening.

“I always had an idea of hiding here” “Never knew it would be so much fun” she had a smirk watching the small space inside the booth, before looking at him again, “There you go!” she stepped back releasing his hand, “You can have it for yourself now” she had a cheerful voice, making him smile proudly.

“But I’m not alone” he teased, making her blink speechlessly, “Ah! I should go then” she had turned around, but felt his hand grabbing her wrist again, as she was turned back to face him.

He had reached for her other wrist too, pulling her closer, aiming for her lips, as she was unable to close her eyes in shock, making him raise his palm covering her eyes to close her lashes, wrapping other one around her waist, to hold her in place.

She could sense his lips caressing hers slowly, with care and time, as his palm was holding her side of face carefully, letting her melt into that warmth, as she gave up interpreting and analyzing things for the moment.

She just wanted to be there with him at that moment, even if it was like a dream, even if it was for the shortest second ahead, even if she may regret it later. 

She had stopped thinking...

She reached for his back holding him, as he continued kissing her, wrapping his arms around her shoulder, holding her as close to him as possible.

—------------

“What was the kiss about?” she asked, turning to him on her side, as they were now seated on the bench beside each other, watching the moon quietly for a few minutes now.

He took a deep breath, without looking at her, as she kept observing him patiently, “Asking you to come back?”

“I have been loving you for 8 years, I don’t think I can forget that till I die” “You’re that once in a lifetime for me” she smiled on how he was still so good at getting her with his words.

“Honestly, right now, I just want to stop the time, and be with you here” “forever” he had finally turned to her, again catching her off-guards, connecting their gazes, as her subconscious was reacting again, “Trap us in this dream, where everything is peaceful & quiet” 

He could see her shining eyes reading him silently, as he leaned forward giving a peck on her cheeks, making her blink in the trance of the sweetness of his touch, “Let’s stay then….” “Forever” she whispered, taking his arm, to wrap her hand around it, resting her head on his shoulder, relaxing herself, “Here or not” “Let’s stay together”

He had relaxed his head on her, as she ended up closing her eyes then, “Stay with me” “Don’t go where I can’t find you again” she confessed, making him release his hand from her hold to extend it behind her shoulder, pulling her inside his arm.

“I’ve practically grown old with you oppa, less that I knew before, parts of me are just you in some form that I love so much about myself right now” she added, resting her head on his chest, feeling much cozier, “I will always love you” “Even when you’re not cool and confident” “I know you more than that” “You don’t have to worry about those things with me”

“Hmm” he just hummed, agreeing to her, as she looked up to search his face now, making him smile at her interrogative eyes on him, “It scares me that you have so much power on me” he confessed, as she chuckled seeing the sincerity in his eyes while saying that.

“But living without you was much scarier” he had reached to cup her face by his palm, as she continued watching him, adoring his softened eyes trying to pour his heart out now.

“We should probably leave” he reminded, breaking her stance, “You look pale already” he snickered, reaching for her other side of face cupping it as well, as she sniffed weakly, “Yeah, I think I’m starting to get dizzy now” 

They stood up, walking to the locked gate as he helped her climb up to jump across it, as they both were out now, running to the car Taemin had parked on the other part of the alley earlier.

They had jumped into the car, hastily catching their breaths, as Taemin reached for the switch for air conditioner, turning on the heater immediately, making them feel much better in a while.

Naeun was still breathing heavily, her nose losing the redness slowly as she was recovering, and Taemin was watching her, as he removed his jacket putting it around her, “Keep this on till you’re feeling warm again” he insisted, pulling it forward to cover her completely.

As she looked up to see him, “What about you?”

“I’m good” “Let’s go” “I’ll take you home” he added, starting the engine, as she had turned her body to him, sitting straight on her seat, “I want to stay with you tonight” 

“Okay!” he replied in the coolest way possible, quickly stepping on the accelerator, but they both were smiling to themselves, as soon as they looked away from each other.

—----------------

The dim blue light from rising dawn was coming through the white curtains on the window of his room, and Taemin hadn’t got a wink of sleep whole night.

He wasn’t able to fall asleep when he was watching over the asleep figure of Naeun beside him all night.

He was overwhelmed by seeing her again beside him, just like that.

Did he really deserve all this love from her? He was wondering now, watching her deep in her slumber, breathing slow in peace, like the beautiful angel she was.

They were back to their world in a moment, and he just wanted to give her everything she deserved from him after knowing now that she was all he wanted in his life.

He ran his hand over her head, kissing her forehead, lying down beside her to watch her again.

But his sleep was getting him finally, as his eyes were feeling heavy now, he didn’t realized when he had fallen asleep then.

—-------------------

 

 

A/N :

To celebrate Taemin's new release, GUILTY, here's Night Away, my fav track from the album, I'm obsessed with Taemin's vocals in this since the release, so I hope you could give a listen to it, and for the story I've tried my best to bring all the emotions I could feel with this song,

Hope you all liked it !! 

It's a bit mellow, but I couldn't help making it a bit emotional to bring the vibe of the song in the story, this one is kind of extra-poetic too with my romanticism acting up, so bear with me for this one ^^

Stay tuned !! I'll make sure to write the next one as fun as possible, I promise!!

Thank you for tuning in as always & reading till the end !!