FALLING

TAEUN Playlist

 

“Try this one!” Soojung pushed the light blue shirt in her hand, along with the hanger on his chest, letting him grab it himself, 

“But I don’t wear this color?” Taemin was taking ages to select what to buy, so she had to step in for him to hurry up, her date was getting late because of him now.

Soojung & Jongin were going on a date, but Jongin had plans of shopping with Taemin before that, so she had to join them there, and when she reached there, both of them had bought nothing but a black jacket in the last two hours. 

“Will you atleast try before making that face?” she snapped at his pouty face, making him turn around finally to walk to the changing room, but he stopped again instead of walking ahead,

Soojung was gonna get angry now but her eyes had caught Taemin’s stunned face, his teasing smile disappearing, when his eyes were locked with the person in front of him, 

“Naeun?” she heard Jongin’s whispering voice behind her, making her turn to him, “Naeun?” her eyes were raised in question, seeing him nod to turn her gaze back at the female, shocked herself seeing the person she had only heard from these two boys till now.

Jongin was shocked himself, but also could read the situation well, so he nudged Soojung whispering back in the dead silence, “Let’s go out” 

“Taemin, we’re waiting out” he informed, when Soojung nodded, as they were soon walking out to the exit of the store, leaving two of them staring down at each other, dumbfounded equally.

—-------

“What are you thinking so hard about?”  Soojung was watching Jongin’s concerned face for a while now. They had come into a cafeteria on the same floor, to wait for Taemin there. She finally broke the silence, as he was taking too long to come out of his thoughts, “Let me know as well!” she had the pleading pout, as he ended up smiling, observing her bored but cute face, “What do you want to know?”

“About Taemin & her?” “Naeun!” she needed to know after noticing how Naeun was staring her away till the end of the store, she kind of had goosebumps for the first time from a woman’s stare, “She doesn’t look really fine” she had read the jealousy on Naeun’s face, which was too strong for a person who wanted that breakup.

“Didn’t they break up a year ago?” she asked, making Jongin nod in return. 

Soojung didn’t know much about this relationship as well as Naeun other than Taemin being this grumpy self he was right now, since the breakup according to Jongin.

Jongin was still quite worried about Taemin, not being able to deal with this breakup, so she had kind of heard Naeun’s name in those conversations with him, and seen a part of it for herself too in last four months. 

But she had never met her, other than her she knew nothing about this girl, as she had come into this scene quite recently, after their breakup, so she was only intrigued about what had exactly happened between them. 

As much of Soojung knew, Taemin was acting quite ridiculous for the fact that none of them wanted to get back in this span of a year, but he also had no heart to date anyone else. She could notice evidently that Taemin was not able to forgive Naeun yet, but that was all she knew till now.

“Why did they break up?” she wanted to know Naeun’s side as well, so that she could rest her mind at peace this time.

“Uhmm…” Jongin didn’t knew how to put the reason in words, “I just know that they had a fight on his birthday last year”

“About what?” her curiosity wasn’t fulfilled with Jongin’s answer.

“Whenever I’ve tried to know, it has made him angry” “So don’t really know that well” she sighed, knowing that part of Taemin, making Jongin only smile back, “But Naeun was quite stubborn about ending it”  

“They won’t fight again inside, right?” Soojung raising that question, got Jongin into the worrying phase again, wondering what kind of conversation Taemin & Naeun would have, meeting after so long.

—-------

Naeun was shocked to run into him in a random place like COEX, but was more shocked to see him with another girl there.

Her stern gaze had followed Jongin and the girl who were walking out of the store after seeing her there, before she could think of any better reaction.

She couldn’t stay cool-headed. Who was she?

Wasn’t she choosing clothes for him… his girlfriend…?

A burning sensation was rising in her chest with her imagination running wild with that one word now!

She was uncomfortable standing in front of him with that feeling. Why was that bothering her? 

Of course he can have a girlfriend, it has been a year.  

“She’s Jongin’s girlfriend” “Soojung!” he interrupted, before she could take her assumptions any further, as her eyes finally shifted back to him.

He had that cocky gaze, reading her thoughts utterly, nudging her ego as well as discomfort, acting smart like that when they were seeing each other after a year.

“I never asked you?” She couldn’t keep her force down, reacting to his tone & attitude.

Followed by the silent fire in their eyes greeting each other, before more words could come out further.

It was the frustration they were keeping down for over 12 months, 365 days, 8760 hours….. It was hard to keep their self-esteem from acting up…. And it was harder to choose the words then, as they were building a bubble of agony with that silence..

The alarming distress was coming up, so she turned around instead, ready to walk away first, though her feets were feeling otherwise.

Why was she expecting him to get her hand…stop her from leaving.. and say something in return?

Though she was the one who had a lot to say…..

The trembling hand on her side was curled into a tight fist, as she pushed herself forward to the exit of the store, getting her hasty but timid feet on the way to the elevator, pressing the ground floor, as the doors closed without any interruption as well.

She needed to get home now, her chest was filled with abundance of regret right now, as her vision started to blur.

She got out of the elevator, her jaw clenched to keep the pool in her eyes inside, making her look up in the same attempt, as she walked further pressing on her car keys, as the sound came from her left, making her look down to notice the flashing front lights of her car, getting her to walk in that direction, absentmindedly, as she opened the door to hop onto the driver seat quickly.

And as soon as she had closed the door, tears started rolling down her cheeks, she had no control as well as no reason to stop them anymore. 

Her suffocated heart was releasing all the emotions inside. 

It had been days she had cried thinking about him, but after seeing him in person today, it was the only way she could get back her sanity.

She was holding onto the steering wheel tightly, as her tears fell till her eyes were dry again.

It was certainly not easy for her to start a life without him when she was the one who had chosen that life for her, and then living that life for the months and days that had passed had daily notes of her efforts in winning over this regret everyday, but it had always been tough since then.

There were hardly any things left, she could claim as her own in her own life. She had been ignorant to the fact that she really liked him to the level of sharing everything of her life with him.

So post-decision, she was trying her best to commit to her conclusion, and learn a new way of living, but remnants of his presence were demanding the share of his happiness she had left unattended.

For a year, when time had passed, and seasons had changed multiple times, with her mind going back & forth multiple times, she couldn’t have peace with herself, when the guilt of breaking their relationship was on her shoulder.

She had failed to protect everything, the relationship as well as him. 

She got upset, then he was frustrated, so they had a fight as usual, but he stated “You are overthinking” again, and she was sick telling him, “You are not understanding”, so eventually she had to think about it. She had to overthink by herself, how she wasn’t the right person for him.

It was his second birthday with her, and she had everything planned to turn the tables with an amazing course of date as a surprise, as he was always better at surprises than her.

But planning was only a plan and the actual date had turned into a day of issues she had not foreseen, which concluded with Taemin taking care of most of the things.

Everytime she had to take Taemin’s help throughout the trip, her confidence dropped lower, as she was agitated at the end of the day, for no certain reason, but feeling extremely useless.

Taemin couldn’t understand why his help was a frustrating thing, when his confusion was only crushing her pride more, taking her back to the thought she had been dwelling on.

Two years together, and she was good for a while lost in the peace of this overwhelming love till she started thinking about his satisfaction, his peace, when there wasn’t really an overwhelming love she was giving in return to him.

She wanted to make sure that the way he was capable of making her happy, she was also his source of happiness.

And her attempt to prove it had failed again with this failed surprise. He had no expectations from her. That was killing her.

The anger, the breakup was only an excuse, she was trying to escape the tag of being incompatible with the person she liked so much.

Maybe the love she had wasn’t comparable to his, maybe she didn’t own a heart like him to know what she should be doing in that situation then, and that’s why maybe she was also not the right match for him in the end. That’s why she called it off.

But-

But all these good & happy memories made along, was an uncalled surprise, she wasn’t expecting to come back at her, haunting her decision in every moment later.

She had been only suffering, missing him more, thinking about him more, thinking about them more.

She was already in the mess for a year now. 

And now after seeing him face to face, she wanted him back. 

All she was thinking after seeing his face again was what if she was too late, to ask him back.

—---------

“All good?” Jongin asked Taemin who was walking to their table, as he took the chair to sit, staring blankly at the table, with empty eyes, “What did she say?” Soojung asked, worried seeing the dullness in his eyes,

“Nothing” he whispered, tapping his finger on table spaced-out, as silence followed, making Jongin & Soojung share their confused gazes,

“Anyway” “Let’s go have dinner” “I’m hungry” Jongin announced, reading the room, making Soojung nod quickly in agreement, knowing his intention, as she raised herself from her chair, getting her bag from the table, “Yeah, let’s have meat for dinner” “I’m hungry too” she patted Taemin’s shoulder, standing beside him, “Get up” “Let’s go!”

He stood up, glancing between both of them, “I’m going back home” he had walked away before they both could react,

“Taemin!” Jongin still shouted behind him, only to see his hand raise to wave a bye in return, “Have fun with your date” he replied, continuing to walk ahead, 

“Is it okay to leave him alone?” Soojung asked, watching Taemin’s back till he had walked himself into the elevator.

Jongin had a tense face, when she turned back to him, “I don’t think so” he replied, watching Taemin’s spiritless figure, remembering his drunk, crying phase, six months ago

He could expect something similar happening today, and may end up calling Naeun again, if he leaves him alone today. Jongin had prevented that from happening, which had caused Taemin to not drink at all for the last six months, but Jongin wasn’t sure if Taemin would keep his promise today, after this incident now.

“You should go” he heard, making him give her a sad face, “Sorry!” 

“I’m good” “Go!” she pushed his arm, making him walk further, as he turned back before walking away, “Call me when you reach home then” she nodded, making him run to the elevator.

—---------

Two days later….

 

We should meet.

I need to talk to you

Taemin read the message, as he had clicked on Naeun’s name in the notification window. He had got his hands on the phone again after a two hour long meeting.

He reached to get his coat from the chair quickly, walking to the door of conference hall in hurry, 

“Mr Lee, where are you going?” He heard one of his juniors, before he could walk out,

“Let’s discuss the next one tomorrow” “I have an urgent appointment right now” he sprinted out from the door like lightning, before anyone else could complain.

—---------

She heard the doorbell ring as she walked in front of her monitor, to see Taemin at the door.

“I didn’t mean right away….at home!?” she was having cold feet, not prepared at all to see him that soon, knowing him and his grit.

She was watching the monitor nervously, taking a moment to press ‘Open’

She had sent the message, expecting a reply, and not him here himself at her door.

……

The door clicked as he came in, making her take another long breath before turning to see him.

It’s fine! You can do this SonNaeun!

She watched him walk in, as he was looking around the house, the place had their memories, he looked nostalgic & that was only overwhelming her more.

“You wanted to talk?” He turned his gaze back on her, going straight to the point. 

He was already low on his patience, after spending all these days waiting for this moment, all he wanted for her to speak out..

She released a chuckle to relax herself, “Yeah!” “but-”

“Take a seat” she walked herself to the kitchen counter, “I'll make us coffee”

She was flustered, and needed a minute at least, before taking this conversation further with him.

But he had subconsciously followed her, standing on the other side of the counter, as she turned back to find him in front of her again, “I don’t need coffee” he urged, holding her unblinking gaze.  . 

She could read his frustrated eyes, he had a lot on his mind too, “Tell me, what you wanted to talk about?” 

“I….” his eyes were focused on her, making her mix all her thoughts, there were many things she wanted to tell him at once now, “I wanted to say sorry”

“I have no right to be angry with you” she wanted to start with the apology, “Not that day in the mall, and also before” 

“Sorry!”

With her messy, solitary decision, she knew she had hurt him a lot, so that’s how she wanted to start this conversation.

His eyes had relaxed, him folding his hand on his chest, watching her silently now, “But I have every right to be angry with you” he marked, making her stomach churn, hearing the sarcastic anger underneath the calm.

She kept silent, as he took a step further, making her step back, as he ended up staying at the distance, watching her, “Sorry?” “Was that all you wanted to say?” The restrained anger was escaping now after seeing her reaction.

She couldn’t bring herself to speak further. The hurt in his eyes was scaring her.

She has been preparing her mind for this conversation since she had sent the message, but it wasn't helping at all, when new thoughts were forming in her head in response.

“I’m really sorry” she was stuck on it, her head was feeling dizzy with that only thought rotating in her mind now, as tears welled up her eyes again.

“Stop saying that” he whispered,

Seeing her tears he couldn’t keep himself strong, as he ended up turning around to walk to the sofa, sitting down, holding onto the tears in his own eyes, but the dam was already overflowing, as his attempt to breathe had released it, a tear had rolled down his cheek from one side, and till he reached to wipe it away, another was down on other side. All unmingled emotions were streaming out now in a rush.

He looked up to check on her, to catch her teary eyes on him.

She turned back to open a drawer and get a box out, and came to stand before him with the box of tissues, placing it on the table, pulling out a few, to hand them to him.

He took them to dry his wet cheeks & nose, “I was scared of not seeing you ever again” his eyes were avoiding hers, staring at the floor in the attempt, which she was thankful for, as she had to get more tissues to manage her own breaking river.

She was scared too, of not seeing him ever again.

But he was here, just a message away. 

If he would have actually found another girl in these days sent behind, who knew exactly how to love him back, she couldn’t guess where that burning sensation she was feeling that day had taken her further.

She was confused if she was making another mistake, by wanting him back. She looked selfish, trying to jump into this over her emotional heart’s cry.

What if it was actually better to not see each other ever again? 

She could see herself falling into the spiral again.

“What if you never would’ve met me again?” she needed to know to have her answer, “What if I never would’ve messaged you?”

He looked up, standing up to walk in front of her, “Do you know why I am angry with you?”

“Because I was the one to leave” she answered, wasn’t that obvious, 

He nodded, but a sad smile was growing on his lips, “Not really!” He corrected, getting a puzzled look from her.

“You abandoned me” he added, “You know me, You still know how much I love you” “But you chose to abandon me” 

Till this moment she only thought she knew how much she had hurt him, but his reply had flipped her mind, indeed he always had the upper hand because he did love her more. 

Although it was hard to calculate her own feelings for that matter now. 

The way her heart was breaking for him, when it was all because of her foolish thoughts, she couldn’t stop her tears, she was angry with herself.

“I couldn’t find the happiness you wanted me to have” “Because it’s you” “You’re my happiness" he was repeating himself, but she could now feel the depth of these words, after knowing the taste of it, passing through her own misery. She could see how much he meant it then as well as now.

Her heart was ripping apart, realizing how childish it was to think that she knew the right way to sort this, when all the steps she took had complicated a year of their life.

“Were you happy?” he continued to speak, when she was lost understanding everything new, his anger wasn’t settled yet, “Not having me around to overwhelm you, was it any better?”

She had a heartbroken smile, reaching for his hand, but he pulled it back, irritated by her silence & that smile, “Don’t smile, and tell me!” he was sulking now, making her smile wider.

“Tell me that you regretted every second of it” the angry tears were blurring his eyes, as she reached to hold his face this time to calm him, “I did regret every second of it” 

She pulled his face closer to rest his forehead on her, wrapping the arms back on his neck, holding him close, as tears had started wetting her cheeks again, “I don’t want to have regrets anymore”

“I love you” “I love you a lot” she was expressing the words for the first time, “And I want to give it all to you, everyday, without any regrets” “Please give me the chance”

He pulled back, to see her, as she had her palms holding his shoulder, her lips under her teeth, waiting for him to speak, “I love you too” she realized now, that she had never said it before, as tears were b again, dripping down the corner of her eyes, as he reached to wipe them, “Stop crying now” he pleaded, making her burst into more tears, “What happened now?” he giggled, seeing her close her eyes, bawling, as it wasn’t in her hand anymore. 

Tears of relief, tears of happiness, tears of gratitude, whatever they were right now, she wasn’t able to stop them, as he went ahead, pulling her head to his shoulder instead, making her hide her crying face in his chest, as he wrapped his arm around her, using the other hand to brush her head down in comfort.

 

Epilogue: 

 

“Oh?”

“Why?” Naeun asked, hearing her friend’s surprised expression on the call, “I think I just saw Taemin here!” her friend explained. 

“Taemin?” She was shocked yet excited to hear that name again.

“Don’t know, I think I mistook someone else for him” she could feel her friend was covering up now, regretting spilling Taemin’s name in front of her.,

“Anyway, you’ll join us for dinner right?” she asked, but Naeun went silent on her line, “Hello?” “Son Naeun, are you there?”

“Yeah!” she replied, coming out of her thoughts, “You guys are at COEX, right?” 

“Yes” “We’re leaving in 20 mins” “I’ve sent you the address of restaurant” her friend informed, 

“Okay!” she saw the address, calculating the time in her head quickly, “I may get a bit late due to work”

“Okay” “No problem” her friend answered, “See you then” she replied, before ending the call.

She had no idea why she was doing this, but she wanted to test her luck for once.

 

 

A/N :

A dear friend suggested me to write more of emotional Taemin, so here it is, an emotional yet clingy Taemin, with cold but soft Naeun.

Also a short cameo of old friends along the way, hope you enjoyed it overall^^.

Happy reading!!

I was thinking of sharing the spotify link for the playlist here as this project is turning a year old next month ;)

Part2 of TRUE LOVE is coming next! I hv found the song! YAY!^^