Partner in Crime

Chase
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

An old woman who wore flower petal pink shirt underneath her purple puffer jacket with floral slacks walked into the Mapo Station with her worry expression. Her hair has is gunmetal grey and is long and lush. Her eyes seam weary as she looked exhausted and worried.

 

             “Chogiyo. I need you to find my granddaughter.”, she went to the CID while asking Somin without greeting. 

 

             “Ne, halmeoni? Your granddaughter?”, Somin asked immediately.

 

             “Ne. She hasn’t come back since last two days ago. I’m worried that something might happen to her.”, the old woman sobbed.

 

             “Waeyo?”, Gary interrupted.

 

             “This halmeoni needed help. To find her granddaughter.”, Somin explained. 

 

             “Ne? Where was her last seen, halmeoni?”, Gary instantly asked as he grabbed his notebook and pencil.

 

             “Halmeoni, please take your seat.”, Somin said while giving her a chair.

 

             “Ne. Kamsahamnida.”, the old woman took her seat while bowing. “I’m sorry for not greeting you earlier. I was worried and I’m not in my right mind for two days since my granddaughter disappeared. Annyeonghaseyo, I’m Kim Hyeja.”, the old woman said while greeting.

 

             “Ne. I am Jeon Somin hyeongsanim, a detective at CID. And this is my sunbaenim, Kang Gary hyeongsanim.”, Somin said while introducing her and Gary to the old woman.

 

             “Ne. Hyeongsanim ddeul, butakhaeyo. Find my granddaughter.”, Hyeja pleaded while grabbing Somin’s hands. Tightly.

 

             “Ne, halmeonim. First and foremost, you have to give your granddaughter information and detail so that we can help you to find her. Calm down, halmeoni. Okay?”, Somin said politely while rubbing Hyeja’s back.

 

             “Ne, arasseoyo. What should I tell you?”, Hyeja calmed down.

 

             “Halmeoni, where was your granddaughter last seen?”, Gary asked while looking at Hyeja.

 

             “School. Her friend said that they last seen my granddaughter there two days ago.”, Hyeja replied.

 

             “Mwohaeyo, Gary hyeongsa? Somin hyeongsa? Nugu?”, Sukjin interrupted as he is back from having a lunch with Sechan.

 

             “Timjangnim, this halmeoni wanted ask for our help.”, Gary informed to Sukjin.

 

             “Waeyo, halmeoni? Something happened?”, Sukjin instantly asked Hyeja while looking at her.

 

             “Ne. Hyeongsanim, can you help me find my granddaughter? She hasn’t return for two days.”, Hyeja sobbed.

 

             “Ne, halmeonim. Calm down. We will help you.”, Sukjin assured as he rubbed the old woman’s shoulder. “Gary hyeongsa.”, Sukjin said to Gary while nodding as a gesture to start to question the old woman.

 

             “Ne, timjangnim.”, Gary nodded. “Halmeoni, let’s go to the meeting room with us.”, Gary said to her.

 

             Sukjin, Gary, Sechan and Somin were at the meeting room with Hyeja, the old woman who filed a report that her granddaughter was missing. For two days.

 

             “Halmeoni, you said that your granddaughter was last seen at school two days ago. Majayo?”, Gary asked to make sure he got the information right.

 

             “Ne. Her friend said that she was last seen at school two days ago. After that, she hasn’t returned home yet. I went to school to ask her friend and teacher but they said that my granddaughter was sick and taking a leave for a while. It’s weird that I don’t even know that she was sick and she didn’t inform anything to me, hyeongsanim.”, Hyeja explained in her depth of misery.

 

             “Ne. I take note that halmeoni.”, Gary said as he scribbled the information in his notebook.

 

             “What is your granddaughter name, halmeoni?”, Sechan asked.

 

             “Chaekyung. Shin Chaekyung.”, Hyeja replied while sniffling her nose.

 

             “Can you tell me her age, school and her friend’s name, halmeoni?”, Gary asked again to complete the victim’s detail.

 

             “Ne. She is 17-year-old sweet girl who studied at Mapo High School. Her friends name is Min Hyorin and Lee Yul. These two are always with her where ever they go.”, Hyeja explained.

 

             “Do you have any photo of your granddaughter, halmeoni?”, Somin turn to ask.

 

             “Ne.”, Hyeja nodded and quickly showed her granddaughter’s photo to Sukjin, Gary, Sechan and Somin.

 

             “Ne. We got it, halmeoni. You can return to your home and leave your contact number to us. If we find her and got some information of your granddaughter, I will inform to you very soon.”, Sukjin said as he stood up.

 

             “Please find her, hyeongsanim. I can’t live without my granddaughter. Uri Chaekyungie ga jinjja bulsanghaesseoyo. She doesn’t have parents nor siblings and just live with me since she was a kid.”, Hyeja cried as tears escaped her eyes.

 

             “Halmeoni, calm down. We promised that we will find her.”, Somin approached Hyeja and instantly hugged her to calm her down.

 

 

The combination of the juicy pork and crunchy texture of the breadcrumbs is very addictive as it melted in their mouth. Tonkatsu, a deep fried Japanese pork cutlet and is one of the most popular Japanese dishes, is one of Jihyo’s favorite food.

 

             “Massisseo.”, Somin said as she took a bite.

 

             “We do have a childish taste, Somin-a.”, Jihyo chuckled as she took a piece of meat into too.

 

             “I don’t know until when I be liking eating tonkatsu, unnie. The taste is always good.”, Somin smiled while looking at Jihyo.

 

             “Maja.”, Jihyo agreed with a smile too.

 

             “Eo, unnie. What are you guys are up to now? No cases, keutji?”, Somin predicted while looking at Jihyo as she munched her food.

 

             “Musseun no case, Somin-a? We are still working on the Rainbow Umbrella Killer.”, Jihyo answered.             

 

             “Eo, maja. I forgot. Though that case has been going on for 7 years without a good evidence, it might turn to cold case, unnie.”, Somin said.

 

             “Ara, Somin-a. We will catch him soon. Keojeong hajima. I’ll make I sure put him behind the bars. Bandeusi!”, Jihyo said while knocking her knife on the table.

 

             “Arasseo, unnie. Keumanhae, people are looking at you. You and your hot-tempered. Aigoo.”, Somin groaned while shaking her head.

 

             “Mian.”, Jihyo nodded while looking around.

 

             “Unnie, keundae.”, Somin continued.

 

             “Mwo?”, Jihyo asked while cutting her tonkatsu.

 

             “There was an old woman who came to our station this afternoon.”, Somin revealed.

 

             “Eo, na basseo. Nuguya?”, Jihyo asked as she tilted her head.

 

             “Kim Hyeja halmeonim. She asked us to find her granddaughter. Her granddaughter’s missing, unnie. I feel bad for her.”, Somin sighed.

 

             “Keurae? When is her granddaughter has been missing?”, Jihyo asked in anticipation.

 

             “It’s been two days.”, Somin replied.

 

             “Her last seen?”, Jihyo asked with her big doe eyes looking at Somin.

 

             “School. Mapo High School.”, Somin replied. “Jamkan, unnie. Don’t tell me you will investigating alone again?”, Somin asked in disbelief while putting her fork and knife down.

 

             “Aniya, Somin-a. I’m not doing things like that again.”, Jihyo denied. “Meoggeo, eo?”, Jihyo asked softly to Somin while looking at her.

 

             “I regret told you if you ever acting alone again. Kwangsoo oppa and my team will scold me too.”, Somin said in sullen while cutting her tonkatsu.

 

             “Jeon Somin. I’ll never, eo? You don’t trust me?”, Jihyo said while waving her hand in front of Somin.

 

             “Because you always did, though I trust you.”, Somin said while uttering the truth fact.

 

             “I will not this time. I’ll rather working with you and sharing information with you only.”, Jihyo smiled to Somin. 

 

             “Keurae?”, Somin who melted by Jihyo’s word, her idol who she looked up to for years, suddenly forming a smile on her lip.

 

             “Eo? You’re smiling.”, Jihyo exclaimed as she pointed Somin’s lip with a knife.

 

             “Unnie! Are you going to kill me?”, Somin pouted.

 

             “Mian.”, Jihyo chuckled.

 

             “Keundae, unnie. Kim Jongkook hyeongsanim neun ottae?”, Somin suddenly getting curious.

 

             “Gapjagi? We have been working together for months but you suddenly ask about him?”, Jihyo asked while putting her mong face as usual.

 

             “Because of you have been working with him for months that I asked, unnie. If you just barely knew him, how can you describe and tell me about him?”, Somin explained. 

 

             “Eo? Maja.”, Jihyo chuckled as she embarrassed.

 

             “Mwoya, unnie? Keureom ottae? Jongkook hyeongsanim?”, Somin asked while opening her eyes widely.

 

             “Emmm, he’s good.”, Jihyo admitted with a nod.

 

             “Mwoya? Just that?”, Somin frowned in disbelief while looking at Jihyo.

 

             “Keureom?”, Jihyo asked back. Still putting her mong face.     

 

             “Ani. Is he good as a partner? Or a friend? Or is he gentle? Did he ever make you fluttered?”, Somin asked excitedly.

 

             “I don’t know where this conversation might go, Jeon Somin.”, Jihyo crossed her arms while looking at Somin.

 

             “Wae, unnie?”, Somin asked.

 

             “Are you asking about Jongkook hyeongsanim about his work or my personal feelings?”, Jihyo asked in curious.

 

             “Both.”, Somin smiled.

 

             “Mwoya?”, Jihyo pouted. 

 

             “Ahhh, palli unnie.”, Somin whined like a little kid.

 

             “Arasseo. If I tell you about my working experience with him for this two months, emmm I can say that he is good. As a partner, as a colleague. Maybe because we are on the same level and both stubborn?”, Jihyo giggled.

 

             “Maja. He is stubborn too. Hajiman, if you ever compared him to Donghoon oppa, who is better?”, Somin asked a difficult question.

 

             “I won’t answer that. Both of them are good, Somin-a. They both taking a good care of me.”, Jihyo giving answered.

 

             “I never see you like this, unnie. If I were you, I would answer Donghoon oppa since you know him longer than Jongkook hyeongsanim.”, Somin wondered while looking at Jihyo in the eyes, making that woman in front of her flustered.

 

             “Ya! What are you talking about?”, Jihyo instantly hit Somin’s hand lightly.

 

             Are you nervous, unnie? Mwoya? What is with this feeling and vibe?”, Somin teased.

 

             “Ya! It’s nothing.”, Jihyo glared at Somin in disbelief.

 

             “Arasseo. Keureom, tell me. Your personal feelings of him.”, Somin asked.

 

             “Keugeon… Em… Nothing. He is a good friend.”, Jihyo nodded.

 

             “Jinjja?”, Somin asked to make sure.

 

             “Eo. What else?”, Jihyo asked with her mong expression.

 

             “You like him?”, Somin challenged.

 

             “Ne. As a friend and colleague.”, Jihyo answered smoothly.

 

             “Not namja?”, Somin challenged again.

 

             “Aniya, Somin-a. What are you talking about?”, Jihyo frowned.

 

             “Arasseo. Don’t need to be so upset. Do you think Jongkook hyeongsa really like you or you are the one who like him?”, Somin said in disbelief while standing up as she grabbed her handbag. Probably, going home.

 

             “We didn’t have feeling to each other, Somin-a. We barely knew each other. It’s only been two months.”, Jihyo said as she stood up too. Well, she’s lying since she knew Jongkook more than decade actually. But there’s no need for her to say it to Somin nor her friends since Jongkook doesn’t remember her. It will only humiliate herself. Kwangsoo is the only one to know is better. And safe.

 

             “It’s only been two months’?”. So you will develop feeling to each other after few months?”, Somin teased.

 

             “Aniya! What are you talking about? Kaja.”, Jihyo blushed as she linked her arm with Somin.

 

             “I’m just kidding. Why are you being so aggressive?”, Somin chuckled as she linked her arm to Jihyo too.

 

 

Jihyo entered her apartment and quickly taking a seat on her couch. She stared at the ceiling blankly and suddenly thought of Somin’s word earlier. 

 

             “I like Jongkook hyeongsa? Or is he the one who like me? Never!”, Jihyo scoffed. 

 

             “I will never falling in love with him again. I won’t make the same mistake twice.”, Jihyo said in sullen. She is sad actually that Jongkook, her ex-best friend and ex-crush leave her years ago and suddenly met him again in future, but unfortunately, Jongkook doesn’t remember her. Nor knowing about her.

 

             “Gwenchana, Song Jihyo. Maybe he forgot you because he was in coma for two years.”, Jihyo calmed herself while talking alone.

 

             “Eo, maja.”, Jihyo suddenly remember about the case that Somin said earlier too. The old woman she saw at the station earlier with CID’s team made her curious. Or perfect term, nosy. 

 

             Her habit who suddenly wanted to act alone started to appear. Surprisingly, this time, he suddenly remembered Jongkook. She made a promised with him not to act alone. Jihyo who let go her pride for the sake of her partner and also Kwangsoo, as she made a promised to him too.

 

             “Should I?”, Jihyo asked herself while taking out her phone from her handbag. Wanting to dial Jongkook’s number.

 

             “Keunyang andwae? It’s already 11:47 pm. Maybe he’s asleep?”, Jihyo predicted while making assumptions.

 

             “Or should I just try? He will scold me if he know that I’m out to investigate alone again. If he doesn’t want to accompany me, at least I told him so he will be less mad at me.”, Jihyo said again to calm herself.

 

             “Keurae. A try won’t hurt.”, Jihyo smiled as she made her decision.

 

             She quickly dialed Jongkook’s number and after few rings, he answered.

 

             “Yeobeoseyo, Jongkook hyeongsanim.”, Jihyo called on.         

 

             “Ne, yeobeoseyo, Jihyo hyeongsa.”, Jongkook answered.

 

             “I’m sorry to disturb you. Are you asleep?”, Jihyo asked.

 

             “Ani. Ajik. Waeyo? Something happened?”, Jongkook asked in worry.

 

             “Aniyo. Keunyang…. Ahhh. Aniyo, hyeongsanim. I’m sorry for disturbing you. See you tomorrow.”, Jihyo said. Suddenly hesitating.

 

             “Jamkan. You think I can sleep after what you did just now?”, Jongkook asked in disbelief.

 

             “Ani….”, Jihyo stuttered.

 

             “Keunyang malhae.”, Jongkook demanded.

 

             “My habit is calling me.”, Jihyo stated.

 

             “Mwo? Are you referring to your habit of acting alone?”, Jongkook predicted.

 

             “Ne. I don’t want to make you use your energy to scold me it you find out I’m acting alone. So I called you to tell you that.”, Jihyo admitted.

 

             “I heard you. Hajiman, what case right now?”, Jongkook asked in curious.

 

             “CID’s case. Somin told me earlier.”, Jihyo admitted again. She doesn’t want to lie about work to his partner. It will make things worse later.

 

             “Jihyo hyeongsa. It’s another department case. Why are you bothered to investigate?”, Jongkook asked in disbelief. Can’t believe that woman nosiness.

 

             “This is why I don’t want to tell anyone and prefer alone.”, Jihyo enraged.

 

             “And are you proud of that?”, Jongkook fired.

 

             “Dwaesseoyo. I already told you. Don’t get mad at me again after this.”, Jihyo said in anger.

 

             “Jamkan, Jihyo hyeongsa.”, Jongkook called on.

 

             “Waeyo ddo?”, Jihyo frowned.

 

             “Where are you?”, Jongkook asked.

 

             “Home.”, Jihyo answered shortly.

 

             “I will come. Wait for me. We’ll investigate together.”, Jongkook said as soon as he ended the call.

 

             “You don’t have to-…. Eo, he hung up on me?”, Jihyo scoffed as she looked at her phone screen.

 

             “Jamkan. So he come here? Ahhhh c….”, Jihyo sighed.

 

             After about 20 minutes, Jihyo’s doorbell ring and she thought that it was probably Jongkook. She went to open the door and looked at Jongkook with his black hoodie and a tracksuit standing in front of her door.

 

             “Come in.”, Jihyo said while avoiding Jongkook’s eyes.

 

             “What are you thinking, Jihyo hyeongsa?”, Jongkook asked as soon as he took his seat on the couch. As if it is his home.

 

             “I told you already and if you don’t want, don’t bother, Kim Jongkook-ssi.”, Jihyo crossed her arms while looking at him.

 

             “I can’t since you already told me. What kind of partner will put his partner in danger?”, Jongkook asked as he crossed his arms too.

 

             “I can’t understand you sometime.”, Jihyo shook her head while going to the kitchen.

 

             “And you think I can understand you?”, Jongkook followed her to the kitchen.

 

             “I didn’t ask you to, hyeongsanim.”, Jihyo emphasized.

 

             “I thought I can work with you but I think I will do the same.”, Jongkook sighed.

 

             “Do the same what?”, Jihyo asked as she looked at Jongkook who looked at her in disbelief.

 

             “Putting efforts.”, Jongkook stated.

 

             “Eo?”, Jihyo asked while putting her mong face.

 

             “Yes, putting efforts to work with you. To match your work style.”, Jongkook admitted.

 

             “So you’re gonna say that you want to go with me to investigate CID’s case?”, Jihyo asked to make sure.

 

             “Ne.”, Jongkook nodded.

 

             “Jinjjayo? I’m not forcing you and ask you twice.”, Jihyo challenged.

 

             “Ne.”, Jongkook nodded again.

 

             “Keuraeyo? Should I start to tell you about the case now?”, Jihyo asked in excitement. Finally, someone matched her workstyle!

 

             Jihyo briefed Jongkook about the CID’s case that Somin shared with her earlier. It took her about 30 minutes to brief it to Jongkook while Jongkook listened to it carefully, not wanting to miss any kind of information.

 

             “So, what’s your plan, Jihyo hyeongsa?”, Jongkook asked.

 

             “We should look for a CCTV nearby the school and will ask her friends tomorrow. As well as the grandmother.”, Jihyo answered while looking at Jongkook in anticipation.

 

             “Are you sure about this? What if the CID’s team know about this?”, Jongkook tilted his head. Not sure if he is making a good decision.

 

             “We’ll just keep it a secret. Ne?”, Jihyo asked with her big doe eyes looking at Jongkook.

 

             “The CID’s team will investigate it too.”, Jongkook emphasized.

 

             “Consider that we are helping them.”, Jihyo said eagerly.            

 

“Arasseo.”, Jongkook gave in.

 

“Gomawo, Jongkook hyeongsanim! Finally, I can find someone who understand me!”, Jihyo said in excitement that she suddenly hugged Jongkook.

 

Jongkook who surprised by Jihyo’s action quickly pulled away her hug. “I’m not understanding you. I’m just your partner in crime.”, Jongkook said while looking at Jihyo straight in her eyes. Their faces were so close that Jongkook can feel Jihyo’s body pressed on him.

 

“Eo, mian. Jongkook hyeongsanim.”, Jihyo blushed and surprised by her own actioned, quickly removed herself from Jongkook.

 

“Aaaa ne. Gwenchanayo.”, Jongkook said as he also distanced himself from Jihyo a little bit.

 

“So now you can go home.”, Jihyo said.

 

“Ne? Going home? I went from Gangnam to Mapo just to hear your briefing?”, Jongkook asked in disbelief.

 

“Ne. Keureomyo. You were the one who said you wanted to come.”, Jihyo replied while crossing her arms. 

 

Eo…. Maja.”, Jongkook embarrassed as he scratched his non-itchy neck. “Keureom, I got nothing else to do here anymore?”, Jongkook asked to make sure.

 

“Ne. What do you want to do here with me then?”, Jihyo asked while blushing. Her cheeks were so red as chili that even Jongkook noticed.

 

“Nothing. What are you thinking? Why are you always thinking that way?”, Jongkook shook his head.

 

“Thinking what? I didn’t say anything.”, Jihyo defended.        

 

“Your cheeks explained it.”, Jongkook answered making Jihyo more blushing.

 

“Dwaesseoyo.”, Jihyo embarrassed.

 

“Are you attract to me as a man, Jihyo-ya?”, Jongkook joked.

 

“Aniya!”, Jihyo defended as she stood up to distance herself from Jongkook.

 

“Look. You’re denying it but your action looked like nothing. You suddenly went aggressive whenever I bought this up.”, Jongkook smiled.

 

“That is because it doesn’t even related to work. We’re colleague and not friend. So you should know that. No personal feelings involved.”, Jihyo uttered.

 

“You’re still setting the boundaries, Jihyo. This gonna be hard for you. I can’t help anymore. You decide it yourself, eo?”, Jongkook said to Jihyo.

 

“I… can’t.”, Jihyo replied in sullen.

 

“Gwenchana. I said that I won’t force you. Don’t force yourself if you can’t, eo? Don’t even bothered to address me as ‘oppa’ too even if it will take you for years. Gwenchana.”, Jongkook nodded with a smile.

 

“Ne.”, Jihyo nodded and they stared at each ot

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter