Collecting

Chase
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Jihyo-ya?”, Jongkook called on as he answered Jihyo’s phone call but no answer from her.

 

             “Jihyo-ya? Are you there?”, Jongkook stood up in nervous as he noticed something happen to Jihyo. Why is she calling but not talking nor answering him back?

 

             “Wae, adeul?”, Hyeseon, Jongkook’s mother asked him as she noticed that Jongkook looked worry.

 

             “Mollayo, omma. My partner is calling me but she is not talking nor answering me.”, Jongkook said as he walked from back to fourth while looking at his phone screen. Suddenly, Jihyo ended her phone call. The screen went black.

 

             “Mwoya? Jihyo?!”, Jongkook asked in panic again as Jihyo ended his phone call. He tried to call Jihyo again but her was switched off.

 

             “Omma, appa, I think I have to go.”, Jongkook said to his parents.

 

             “Eo, ka adeul. Jusimhae. Don’t worry about us. We asre staying here for seven days. We can spend together tomorrow and the day after too.”, Hyeseon assured.

 

             “Eo. Keunyang ka, Jongkook-a.”, Chungsu, Jongkook’s father also assured his son.

 

             “Ne, omma, appa. Jeuseunghaeyo.”, Jongkook apologized as he took his car key to go back to the station. Hoping that he can find his girlfriend. 

 

             Jongkook drive with a speed of light as he arrived at the Mapo Station for 13 minutes, when it is supposed to be a 20-minute ride as Gangnam is slightly far from Mapo. He immediately went to his office at Mapo Station and looked for Jihyo but she is not there.

 

             “Jihyo-ya? Jihyo! Song Jihyo!”, Jongkook tried to call her but still no answer. He called her number again for nth time there was still no answered as her phone is still off.

 

             Jongkook decided to take a walk outside around Mapo. He even went to the park, convenience store and a food stall nearby but there was still no sign of her. He took his phone again and decided to call Kwangsoo for help but he immediately stopped as he heard Jihyo’s voice laughing nearby.

 

             Jongkook looked around to find Jihyo’s voice and he felt relieved as he noticed that Jihyo is laughing while sitting on the swing at the playground in front of him. he kept his phone and immediately run to Jihyo.

 

             “Jihyo!”, Jongkook shouted.

 

             “Eo? Oppa?”, Jihyo turned while looking at her boyfriend.

 

             “Jihyo….”, Jongkook panted as he approached Jihyo.

 

             “Oppa, what are you doing here? I thought you were home with your parent.”, Jihyo said as she hold Jongkook’s hand.

 

             “You called me.”, Jongkook answered while catching his breath.

 

             “Eo. I did.”, Jihyo admitted.

 

             “Then why are you not talking and switching off your phone?”, Jongkook exasperated while looking at her straight in the eyes.

 

             “My battery phone died. Are you here because of that?”, Jihyo asked in guilty.

 

             “I thought something happen to you.”, Jongkook groaned.

 

             “Oppa, mian. Someone kept following me earlier and that is why I called you. but it turned out it Sangho harabeoji.”, Jihyo said while pointing at Sangho who sat on the swing next to her.

 

             “Eo? Annyeonghaseyo, harabeoji. Jeuseonghaeyo, I don’t notice you.”, Jongkook greeted Sangho while apologizing to him too.

 

             “Annyeong, Jongkook hyeongsanim. Gwenchanayo.”, Sangho nodded with a smile.

 

             “Neo jinjja gwenchana, eo?”, Jongkook turned to ask Jihyo. Worry to death. 

 

             “Eo, oppa. Keokjeong hajima.”, Jihyo assured as she stood up to tap Jongkook’s shoulder.

 

             “I think I should go now. I can’t keep escaping here. I should go to patrol the apartment now.”, Sangho said as he excused himself from the couple.

 

             “Ne, harabeoji.”, Jihyo said as she bowed to Sangho, along with Jongkook.

 

             “What are you thinking? I told you stay in the office.”, Jongkook getting upset to Jihyo as soon as Sangho’s leave.

 

             “I just went out to buy soju.”, Jihyo pouted while showing his soju bottles in the plastic bag to Jongkook.

 

             “Please don’t worry me again.”, Jongkook said as he hugged Jihyo tightly. 

 

             “Are you that scare, oppa? Mian.”, Jihyo apologized as she felt guilty for worrying her boyfriend.

 

             “I don’t want to lose you anymore.”, Jongkook said while kissing her temple.

 

             “Eo? Anymore?”, Jihyo asked.

 

             “I mean, I don’t want to lose you. The threat came to you few days ago. Remember? I’m just afraid that he is lurking around to see you.”, Jongkook said.

 

             “Oppa, you scare me.”, Jihyo sighed.

 

             “Just think of the possibility so I can keep you safe.”, Jongkook said while rubbing Jihyo’s back.

 

             “Arasseo. Mian, oppa.”, Jihyo apologized.

 

             “Gwenchana. Should we go back to the station now?”, Jongkook pulled away their hug while looking at Jihyo.

 

             “Eo. Kaja.”, Jihyo nodded.

 

             “Keundae, Jihyo-ya…”, Jongkook spoke as they walked hand in hand to the station.

 

             “Eo, oppa?”, Jihyo asked.

 

             “Why would harabeoji followed you?”, Jongkook asked in curious.

 

             “Aniya, oppa. he is not following me. he happened to bump into me while he walked behind me. I thought that someone is following me too and luckily that someone was harabeoji. He was buying an umbrella from the convenience store earlier. He said it was for his son, Haein-ssi.”, Jihyo said in relief.

 

             “Jinjja? You don’t find him weird or suspicious?”, Jongkook asked carefully.

 

             “Oppa, what are you saying? Haraboeji is a kind man. I know him.”, Jihyo stopped as she looked at Jongkook.

 

             “Keunyang. You can’t trust people that much. He may be kind to you but you never knew his stories, keutji?” Jongkook asked carefully again to enlighten Jihyo.

 

             “Eo, maja. But he is fine, oppa.”, Jihyo assured.

 

             “Arasseo. Just be careful, eo? jebal.”, Jongkook almost pleaded as he patted Jihyo’s head.

 

             “Eo.”, Jihyo smile while nodding.

 

 

Jihyo took a look at the button from the suspicious person’s sleeves at the Corner Pub’s CCTV record and noticed something suspicious.

 

             “Eo?”, Jihyo uttered while looking at it.

 

             “Wae, Jihyo hyeongsa?”, Haha asked as he heard her.

 

             “Aniya. Donghoon hyeongsa, you still kept the pictures from the unknown source that I received months ago?”, Jihyo asked.

 

             “Ne. I did.”, Haha nodded as he took out the envelope on his desk. He soon gave it to Jihyo as he knew that Jihyo’s noticed something. “Here.”, Haha handed it to her.

 

            “Gomawoyo.”, Jihyo thanked and quickly took the envelope from Haha. She took out all the pictures and arranged it properly on her desk. She looked at it thoroughly and aware that something is off on the Rainbow Suspect Killer’s thumb.

 

             “Maybe I’m mistaken.”, Jihyo monologue.

 

             “Wae, Jihyo hyeongsa. Do you find something?”, Kwangsoo asked in puzzle by Jihyo’s action.

 

             “Aniya. I mistook something.”, Jihyo quickly covered. “Donghoon hyeongsa, can I keep this?”, she asked while showing the envelop to Haha.

 

             “Sure. It’s yours anyway. The unknown source send it to you.”, Haha said.

 

             “Keurae.”, Jihyo replied.

 

             “Timjangnim, I found the possible target.”, Jongkook said as he stood up to approach Jaesuk while bringing his information in the papers.

 

             “Keurae?”, Jaesuk asked in anticipation.

 

             “Ne. Igeoyo.”, Jongkook showed to Jaesuk while Haha, Jihyo and Kwangsoo approached them too.

 

             “Eo, that’s not a lot. Only three people?”, Kwangsoo exclaimed.

 

             “Ne. It’s because I just look for a 40-year-old woman with different surname in Mapo only. If our theories were right, then they are the possible target.”, Jongkook pointed out.

 

             “We should assure their safety.”, Jihyo said.

 

             “Brief me now.”, Jaesuk said as he stood up to go to the meeting room.

 

             “Ne, timjangnim.”, Jongkook nodded as he prepared to brief while walking to the meeting room, along with Haha, Jihyo and Kwangsoo.

 

             “Ryu Yoonah. A mother of two daughters with her housewife occupation. She stayed home a lot as a stay-at-home mother and his husband was an engineer at Sangam IT Tower. He is well off and asked his wife to stop working as a realtor since he can provides much.”, Jongkook explained about the first possible target of the Rainbow Umbrella Killer.

 

             “Next.”, Jaesuk instructed.

 

             “Min Hwarang. She is 40-year-old woman and still single. She worked as a veterinarian at the Flying Pet. She took her degree decades ago at Seoul National University (SNU) and was one of the genius students there. She was expert in treating dog and cat.”, Jongkook pointed out about the second victim.

 

             “Nothing in common. Just their age. But so does the other victims.”, Jaesuk uttered while tilting his head. “Next.”, Jaesuk said.

 

             “Choi Heesun. A 40-year-old woman who worked as a physician at Shine Beam Clinic at Donggyo-dong, Mapo here. She has a daughter and her husband was an accountant who worked at the Sungji Accounting Office at Donggyo-dong too. Nothing suspicious and nothing can relate to the Rainbow Umbrella Killer yet.”, Jongkook explained while informing to his team.

 

             “Jalhaesseo. Please keep them safe. November is around the corner.”, Jaesuk reminded.

 

 

Sangam IT Tower is located in Seoul’s neighborhood of Sangam-dong in Mapo District. While one side of the building is located diagonally across from Gaon Culture Park and takes place on the other side of the building, Worldcupbuk-ro 60 gil, near the sculpture of Ubiquitous (A Cyclic World).

 

             Haha and Kwangsoo entered the Sangam IT Tower while looking around and they went straight to the reception desk to ask for the staff’s help.

 

    “Annyeonghaseyo. I am Lee Kwangsoo hyeonsanim from Mapo Station. I’m here looking for someone.”, Kwangsoo introduced while showing his ID to the staff at the reception desk of Sangam IT Tower.

 

             “Ne, annyeonghaseyo. Who are you looking for, hyeongsanim?”, she answered politely with a light bow.

 

             “Ryu Yoonah. Does she work here?”, Haha asked.

 

      “Jamkanmanyo.”, the staff said while calling the center.

 

             After couple of minutes, she ended the call with a smile while looking at the two detectives in front of her. “I’ve called her. You can meet her at the 6th floor in her office.”, she said.

 

             “Ne, kamsahamnida.”, Kwangsoo bowed as his gratitude.

 

        “Kamsahamnida. Suguhaessoyo.”, Haha also thanked. “Kaja.”, he said to Kwangsoo.

 

             Both of them went to the lift and quickly pressed the 6th floor of Sangam IT Tower. They went outside of the lift as they arrived at the 6th floor while looking around.

 

             “Eodi?”, Haha asked as he looked around.

 

             “That!”, Kwangsoo pointed out at one of the office with Ryu Yoonah’s name on the door. 

 

             Tok tok tok! Kwangsoo knocked the door while peeking inside.

 

             “Come in.”, Yoonah’s voice said from inside as she heard the knock. 

 

             Haha and Kwangsoo quickly opened the door and went inside her office.

 

“Annyeonghaseyo.”, Yoonah stood up as she greeted the detectives.

 

             “Ne, annyeonghaseyo. I am Ha Donghoon hyeongsanim, and this is my partner, Lee Kwangsoo hyeongsanim.”, Haha introduced in behalf.

 

             “Ne. how can I help you? the staff told me earlier you are looking for me. may I know the reason? First, have a seat hyeongsanim.”, Yoonah said as she invited Haha and Kwangsoo to take a seat.

 

             “Ne.”, Kwangsoo nodded while taking his seat, along with Haha.

 

             “We are here because of the Rainbow Umbrella Killer. You know him, right?”, Haha said carefully while looking at Yoonah’s eyes.

 

             “Ahhh ne. he is the famous killer here in Mapo. Have you guys arrest him?”, Yoonah in anticipation.

 

             “Aniyo.”, Kwangsoo shook his head.

 

             “And then, why you are here? am I related to him somehow?”, Yoonah as in fear that her eyes opened widely.             

 

             “I’m sure you are afraid of him. but we are here to inform you that you might be one of her targets.”, Haha uttered carefully, not wanting to shock the target though she might be.

 

             “Ne? Wae naya?!”, Yoonah asked in disbelief. Probably shock by the detective’s revelation.

 

             “Since he ratget the 40-year-old woman with a different surname, so you were one of it.”, Kwangsoo explained.

 

             “Ani, wae naya? I’m sure there are other 40-year-old woman with differnet surnames other than me!”, Yoonah asked in dsbelief.

 

             “Ne. There are.”, Kwangsoo nodded.

 

             “And it’s three woman including you.”, Haha continued.

 

             “Why me? I have kids and a husband. How can I assure my family safety, hyeongsanim? and me?”, Yoonah started to cry.

 

             “We will keep you safe if you follow us. We will have some police officers standby to guard your family. So don’t worry. Trust us.”, Haha assured again.

 

             “Why is this happening to me?”, Yoonah sobbed while covering her face with her hands.

 

             “You can follow us now, Yoonah-ssi. We will keep you safe at the station. We will lure him later and it will not involving you. We will do it by ourselves.”, Kwangsoo said carefully as he assured the target too.

 

             “Ne…”, Yoonah answered while crying.

 

 

“Timjangnim, they are the possible target of the Rainbow Umbrella Killer.”, Haha said as he pointed at Yoonah, Hwarang and Heesun.

 

           “Hyeongsanim, will family be fine?”, Yoonah asked in fear.

 

             “How about ourselves?”, Heesun asked in worry as tears escape her eyes.    

 

             “Can you assure our safety, hyeongsanim?”, Hwarang also asked with her worry expression.

 

             “Keokjeong hajimayo. The police officer will be guarding your family as we asked them to keep tailing on your family. And also you guys, we will surely assure your safety. Here.”, Jaesuk assured.

 

             “Ne. Keokjeong hajimayo. You can talk and ask to me if you want. I know you will surely be comfortable with me since we are women.”, Jihyo smiled.

 

             “Ne, hyeongsanim.”, Heesun answered in behalf.

 

             “Kwangsoo hyeongsa, bring them to the pantry. I ordered food for their dinner.”, Jaesuk instructed the youngest detective of DVD.

 

             “Ne, timjangnim.”, Kwangsoo nodded as he received his team leader’s instructions. “Follow me.”, Kwangsoo said politely to Yoonah, Hwarang and Heesun. The three possible targets stood up and nodded in agreement while walking away from the DVD’s office.

 

             “Keurae, how is the progress? The higher-ups investigation?”, Jaesuk asked to Jongkook, Haha and Jihyo.

 

             “Timjangnim, I think we should go to the meeting room.”, Jongkook suggested. 

 

             “Keurayo. Kaja.”, Jaesuk nodded as he grabbed his files on the desk and went straight away to the meeting room, along with Jongkook, Haha and Jihyo.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter