Almost There

Chase
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Mind to explain, hyung, Jihyo?”, Haha asked while crossing his arms and leg as he looked at them straight in the eyes.

 

             “Oppa….”, Jihyo uttered.

 

             “Donghoon-a.”, Jongkook uttered his name too.

 

             “I need explanation of what I witnessed earlier. Are you guys dating?”, Haha asked in shock as his eyes opened widely.

 

             “Eo, oppa. As you saw…”, Jihyo stuttered.

 

             “How long?”, Haha questioned.

 

             “It’s been 6 months, oppa.”, Jihyo admitted.

 

             “Jinjja? And I don’t know? I thought I am one of your closest friends, Jihyo.”, Haha said in disbelief.

 

             “No one knew, oppa. Mianhae.”, Jihyo said while apologizing.

 

             “Jinjja? Kwangsoo ddo?”, Haha asked in shock.

 

             “Eo. Kwangsoo doesn’t approve our relationship so how can I tell him?”, Jihyo sighed.

 

             “Maja.”, Haha admitted.

 

             “Mianhae, oppa. For keeping my relationship with Jongkook oppa from you.”, Jihyo apologized again while tingling her fingers.

 

             “Oppa? Jongkook oppa? Wahhhh Jihyo-ya, you took us 5 years to address us ‘oppa’. But Jongkook hyung… how long it take?”, Haha asked in curios and disbelief.

 

             “3 months.”, Jongkook chuckled as he almost brag about it.

 

             “Oppa. Why are you excited?”, Jihyo glared at Jongkook while hitting his hand lightly. In this situation, he can be excited by that? Funny Kim Jongkook.

 

             “Mian.”, Jongkook quickly apologized.

 

             “No wonder it’s weird you wanted Jongkook hyung to accompany you in your apartment. This is part of you guys scheme, keutji?”, Haha predicted.

 

             “Mian, oppa. Are you upset?”, Jihyo asked in guilty.

 

             “I don’t care about your relationship and love life, Jihyo-ya. As long as you are happy.”, Haha smiled. “Hajiman…”.

 

             “Hajiman?”, Jihyo continued as Haha stopped.

 

             “Hajiman, should I keep this a secret too?”, Haha asked.

 

             “Eo. Keureom, oppa. I don’t want anyone to know for a while. We will tell them…. later… This is too soon.”, Jihyo explained.

 

             “It’s been 6 months. Musseon too soon?”, Haha sighed as he leaned his back on the chair.

 

             “Butakhae, oppa.”, Jihyo almost pleaded while looking at Haha with her big doe eyes.

 

             “Butakhae, Donghoon.”, Jongkook also asking him a favor.

 

             “Ahhhh this is too burdensome. You guys are done if Kwangsoo know about this. Even me, the one who keep it a secret.”, Haha said while looking at the couple with his worry expression.

 

             “I promised you, oppa. You won’t get into trouble. It’s only me and Jongkook oppa.”, Jihyo said desperately as she showed her pinky finger to Haha.             

 

             “Ahhhh whatever. I pretend that I know nothing.”, Haha concluded.

 

             “Gomawo, oppa.”, Jihyo thanked with a smile in relief.

 

             “Dwaesseo. What are you guys doing earlier? in office? Micheosseo? What if it’s not me? Be careful jebal if you guys want to keep this secret.”, Haha reminded while shaking his head.

 

             “Jongkook oppa asked me to kiss him.”, Jihyo pouted while blaming Jongkook as she pointed at him.

 

             “Ya. You were the one who seduced me.”, Jongkook defended while looking at Jihyo.

 

             “Ya, ya, ya. I don’t want to hear about that. Disgusting! Hajiman, what are you guys working for?”, Haha asked.

 

             “Figuring out the button, oppa. I removed firefighter and soldier on the list. It’s probably not one of it.”, Jihyo quickly explained.

 

             “How can you be so sure, Jihyo-ya?”, Haha asked in curious while looking at her with a puzzle expression.

 

             “I already asked Wookmin about it. He said it’s not either of it.”, Jihyo answered while nodding.

 

             “So what’s left?”, Haha asked in anticipation.

 

             “Doctor and police.”, Jongkook answered in behalf.

 

             “Jamkan, police? Do you think it’s from our station? Is there a mole? A rat?”, Haha groaned.

 

             “Aniya, oppa. I didn’t figure it out that yet. I will, by tomorrow. Jongkook oppa and I will ask around starting tomorrow.”, Jihyo said to assure Haha.

 

             “Arasseo. The CCTV record that Kwangsoo and I investigate are still on hold too. There’s a lot.”, Haha sighed.

 

             “Just hold it out, oppa. Who knows we can catch him soon. It’s almost November.”, Jihyo encouraged Haha.

 

             “Who is the next target? And where? Haaaah, I feel bad and anxious every time we reach February and November.”, Haha groaned in sullen as he remembered the victim of the Rainbow Umbrella Killer.

 

             “We will catch him, soon. Bandeusi!”, Jihyo said enthusiastically. 

 

 

“Do you recognize this kind of button? Did your station uniform used this kind of button?”, Jihyo asked the police officer at the Gangnam Station. She decided to go around Gangnam police station with Jongkook and also hospital to figure out about the button. Where is it from?

 

             “We don’t use this kind of button, hyeongsanim. Jeuseonghamnida.”, one of the female police officers answered at the Seoul Gangnam Police Station.

 

             “Keuraeyo? Are you sure, sunkyeongnim?”, Jihyo asked to make sure.

 

             “Take a look at it thoroughly, sunkyeongnim.”, Jongkook also asked to the female police officer at the Seoul Gangnam Police Station.

 

             “I’m sure, hyeongsanim. You can take a look at this.”, the female police officer showing off the button on her police uniform to Jongkook and Jihyo. It was indeed different since the button at the Seoul Gangnam Police Station’s police uniform has it own logo on the button.

 

        “Majaneundeyo. Gomawoyo, sunkyeongnim.”, Jongkook said as he took a look at the button on her shirt.

 

             “Gomawoyo. Suguhaesseoyo.”, Jihyo also thanked her as she bowed lightly to her.

 

             Both of them walked out from the Seoul Gangnam Police Station with their disappointed expression. They both stopped and sighed while standing next to each other.

 

             “Jihyo hyeongsa, I think this is not it. Why are we searching at Gangnam first? And how can we search around Seoul with just that little piece of evidence. We don’t have any lead.”, Jongkook said in disappointment.

 

             “We still need to work had just a bit, hyeongsanim.”, Jihyo sighed.

 

             “But this is the seventh station we went today in Gangnam. No one has any idea of it.”, Jongkook exasperated.

 

             “I know you are tired and exhausted with all of this, hyeongsanim. But I truly wanted to catch him.”, Jihyo talked back.

 

             “You are not the only one who is desperate, hyeongsanim. Nadoyo.”, Jongkook emphasized.

 

             “I think you still doesn’t like that way I worked, hyeongsanim.”, Jihyo concluded as she walked away from Jongkook. Probably disappointed by him too.

 

             “That’s not it, Jihyo. We should think of another plan, eo?”, Jongkook convinced as he followed Jihyo from behind.

 

             “Musseun plan? Do you have any better than this?”, Jihyo turned while looking at Jongkook in anticipation.

 

             “I’m sure we can figure this out together. Should we come to my house first? Since this is Gangnam.”, Jongkook suddenly offered to Jihyo.

 

             “Ne?”, Jihyo asked as her eyes opened widely.

 

             “Kaja.”, Jongkook said while grabbing Jihyo’s hand to the car. They went to Jongkook’s apartment after few minutes and this was the first time Jihyo went there.

 

             “Mwoya? Why is there gym equipment in your house?”, Jihyo asked while looking around Jongkook’s apartment.

 

             “Probably for a home work out.”, Jongkook chuckled. “Make yourselves home, Jihyo-ya. Want some drink?”, Jongkook asked while entering his kitchen.

 

             “A water gwenchana, oppa.”, Jihyo answered as her eyes still looking around. “I like your jib. Look comfortable than mine.”, Jihyo smiled as she took her seat at the couch.

 

             “Keurae? What made you think that?”, Jongkook asked while taking his seat next to Jihyo too. He opened the water cap and gave the water bottle to Jihyo.

 

             “Keunyang. It’s fit for two people. And also three if there’s a kid. Suit for a small family.”, Jihyo smiled. “Gomawo.”, Jihyo thanked Jongkook while showing the water bottle and quickly gulped it.

 

             “Small family? You wanted a small family with me?”, Jongkook joked.

 

             “Mwoya?!”, Jihyo asked in surprise. Somehow, it sounds like an indirectly propose from Jongkook to her.

 

             “Why are you so surprise? I’m just joking.”, Jongkook giggled while looking at the flustered Jihyo.

 

             “You asked an unexpected question while I’m drinking. Who won’t be surprise?”, Jihyo scoffed as she covered her fluster.

 

             “Keurae?”, Jongkook asked in disbelief while chuckling.

 

             “Maja. What’s your plan?”, Jihyo asked as she looked at Jongkook in anticipation.

 

             “My plan? I just want a daughter. Also a son, perhaps? How about you?”, Jongkook chuckled while looking at Jihyo.

 

             “Ya! That’s not what I asked. I asked you about our plan for the Rainbow Umbrella Killer’s investigation.”, Jihyo blushed.

 

             “Eo? Keurae? I thought you asked about our next stage.”, Jongkook scratched his non-itchy neck in embarrass. 

 

             “We will talk about that after the Rainbow Umbrella Killer’s is arrested.”, Jihyo said shyly.

 

             “You have to keep your promise, eo?”, Jongkook chuckled while tapping Jihyo’s nose lightly.

 

             “Najunghae, oppa. Let’s focus on our work first, eo?”, Jihyo said.

 

             “Arasseo. Aigoo uri eager Song Jihyo.”, Jongkook said while pinching Jihyo’s cheek.

 

             “Ahhh. Keureom ottoke?”, Jihyo asked again.

 

             “Emmm. Jamkan. I think we should leave that out first. How about we focus on something bigger, Jihyo-ya?”, Jongkook suggested as he convinced Jihyo.

 

             “What is that something bigger, oppa?”, Jihyo asked with her mong face looking at Jongkook.

 

             “Actually I found out something about the Rainbow Umbrella Killer as I read the case files.”, Jongkook revealed.

 

             “Mwo?”, Jihyo asked in curious.

 

             “I also read all the case files victims and aware that every victims has a different surname. From the first victim to the last victim.”, Jongkook revealed.

 

             “Jinjja?”, Jihyo asked as her big doe eyes almost popped out.

 

             “Eo.”, Jongkook nodded.

 

             “Why do you tell this just now?”, Jihyo asked in dissatisfied.

 

             “I need to confirm something first that is why I didn’t tell you nor the team. Mian.”, Jongkook explained while apologizing.

 

             “Dwaesseo. Is that a coincidence or just his target to kill the 40-year-old woman with different surname, oppa?”, Jihyo asked Jongkook’s opinion.

 

             “I think it’s not a coincidence since having a different surname while targeting the 40-year-old woman is not that easy, Jihyo-ya. They must be his target.”, Jongkook said.

 

             “Can you explain further, oppa. I don’t quite understand.”, Jihyo suggested.

 

             “Paba. The first victim was Kim Sooyoung and the second was Hwang Eunhye. Both of them were from Pohang, keutji?”, Jongkook asked to make sure.

 

             “Eo.”, Jihyo nodded.

 

             “Then the next victim was Yang Jinyoung. The surname was ‘Yang’. It’s not a common surname nowadays since there were a lot of Korean people are having a ‘Kim’, ‘Lee’, ‘Song’ and ‘Park’. I think it’s not easy for him to find his target too.”, Jongkook continued.

 

             “Keureom?”, Jihyo asked again in anticipation.

 

             “The next victim after Yang Jinyoung was Ji Hyeja. And then Song Daeun, Jang Areum, Jeon Bora, Hong Chunja, Kang Eunsook, Ha Jungsook, Park Kyungsook, Gong Mihee, Yoon Narae, Heo Kyungah and Lee Jihye. All were in different surnames, keutji?”, Jongkook said while asking to Jihyo to enlighten her.

 

             “Eo.”, Jihyo nodded.

 

             “At first I thought it was a coincidence too but I think it’s not. He wanted to target the 40-year-old woman with different surnames as his trophy. Just like how he cut off their finger. And their thumbs were taken by him. Probably for him to frame it as his trophies. I bet he named those thumb with their surnames. What do you think, Jihyo?”, Jongkook concluded as he asked Jihyo’s opinion.

 

            “Majaneunde. Just like the Raincoat Killer a decade ago. Remember he cut off their nails and framed it too as his trophies. What if he followed him since the Raincoat Killer was quite famous back then.”, Jihyo voiced her opinions while opening her eyes widely.

 

             “Maja, Jihyo-ya. That’s it.”, Jongkook nodded.

 

             “So we can detect his next target, oppa?”, Jihyo asked in excitement.

 

             “Amado.”, Jongkook smiled while nodding to Jihyo. His eager girlfriend.

 

             “Wahhhh. You are good, oppa. I can’t believe you are that thorough. Uri namchin jinjja daebakida!”, Jihyo cheered in excitement as she kissed Jongkook’s cheek. Making that man blushed by her sudden action.

 

             “Ya. It’s nothing.”, Jongkook said shyly while holding his cheek, the spot where Jihyo’s kissed.

 

             “Keureom, should we gather the surnames that is not as the same as the victims? Then we can look at the database with woman of 40-year-old age, oppa?”, Jihyo asked excitedly as she made a plan.

 

             “Keurae.”, Jongkook nodded with a smile while patting Jihyo’s head.

 

             Jihyo quickly listing the surnames with Jongkook’s help though it took about an-hour.

 

             “Min, Jeong, Mun, Baek, Cho, Bak, Cheon, Paek, Kwon, Choi, Kil, Chang, Guk, Kan and Ryu. I think this is all of it.”, Jihyo said while looking at the list of the surnames that she scribbled earlier.

 

             “Eo. I think that’s all of it.”, Jongkook nodded while looking at it too.

 

             “Kaja. Let’s go back to the station.”, Jihyo said while standing up. Ready to go to the station with her surname’s list.

 

             “Jigeum?”, Jongkook asked while grabbing Jihyo’s wrist.

 

             “Keureom, eonje?”, Jihyo asked while putting her mong face.

 

             “Naeil. It’s 1:46 am now.”, Jongkook emphasized.

 

             “Oppa, is this your first time?”, Jihyo shook her head while walking away from him.

 

             “Jihyo-ya, naeil andwae? Na chulyeo.”, Jongkook yawned as an act to fool Jihyo.

 

             “Don’t try to fool me, oppa. I’m not that pabo. Na Kwangsoo aniya.”, Jihyo said while putting on her shoes. 

 

             “Oppa?”, Jihyo called Jongkook as she doesn’t received any reply from him. “Oppa?”, Jihyo asked again while peeking on Jongkook at the living room. 

 

             “Aishhh oppa. Are you that sleepy?”, Jihyo whined while looking at Jongkook who is laying down on the floor while closing his eyes.

 

             “Chulyeo, Jihyo-ya. Nado pigonhae. Don’t you feel bad at me?”, Jongkook acted again to win Jihyo’s heart.

 

             “Ahhh oppa….”, Jihyo sighed while looking at her boyfriend.

 

             “I promise we will find out by tomorrow, eo? It’s not that hard to trace a 40-year-old woman with a different surname. We can just remove certain of them it they are not yet 40, a man and with different surnames.”, Jongkook explained to assure Jihyo. It’s true that it’s not taking a long time to trace them with the high technology that the South Korea police has in every station. It’s just, Song Jihyo being a Song Jihyo. An eager and workaholic Song Jihyo.

 

             “Are you that sleepy and tired, oppa?”, Jihyo took off her shoes while approaching Jongkook. She looked at Jongkook dearly while his forehead as she took her seat on the floor.

 

             “Uri ja kaja. Jinjja chulyeo. Pigonhae.”, Jongkook opened his eyes while grabbing Jihyo’s wrist.

 

             “Arasseo…”, Jihyo nodded as she felt bad for Jongkook. Always giving in. Only for Kim Jongkook. 

 

 

“This is all I got, timjangnim.”, Jihyo said while showing her information regarding the possibility of the Rainbow Umbrella Killler’s next target.

 

             “Neomu manha. Can you figure it out before this November.”, Jaesuk asked Jihyo in doubt.

 

          “Gwenchanayo, timjangnim. I will help her.”, Jongkook offered as he raised his left hand.

 

             “Nadoyo, timjangnim. We are a team. I think Jihyo hyeongsa can divide the task of the possibility of the next target to all of us.”, Haha suggested.

 

             “Ne, timjangnim. I think she can lead us this investigation.”, Kwangsoo agreed too.

 

             “Keuraeyo. We are a team so we should work together.”, Jaesuk nodded. “Then we should have a meeting after you guys done figuring out. Remove the outmost possibility and the most possibility target in order later.”, Jaesuk instructed.

 

             “Ne, timjangnim.”, Jongkook, Haha, Jihyo and Kwangsoo answered at the same time.

 

             “Hajiman, Jihyo hyeongsa. How are you doing now? Anything weird happen again?”, Jaesuk asked in concern since Jihyo received the threat last time.

 

          “Gwenchanayo, timjangnim. I think he started to scare as we tried to track his IP address.”, Jihyo smiled as she assured him.

 

             “Keurae. Just remember to always be careful and not acting alone again.”, Jaesuk reminded as he arranged his case files on the desk.

 

             “Ne.”, Jihyo nodded.

 

             “Keojeong hajimayo, timjangnim. I’m here to ensure her safety.”, Jongkook suddenly interrupted, making Jihyo and Haha surprised. What is this man saying? Though it’s true but that was so sudden.             

 

             “I trust you, Jongkook hyeongsa.”, Jaesuk nodded. 

 

             “How can I trust you, Jongkook hyeongsa? What if you are taking an advantage of her since she is pretty?”, Kwangsoo started to feel annoy.

 

             “Kwangsoo hyeongsa, what was that? Work is work.”, Jihyo reminded while looking at him straight in the eyes.

 

             “Majayo, Kwangsoo hyeongsa.”, Haha supported as he defended the couple.

 

             “Wae geuraeyo, Donghoon hyeongsa? Why are you supporting them?”, Kwangsoo asked in disbelief.

 

             “Because that is what’s friends for.”, Jihyo stuck out her tongue to Kwangsoo, making Jongkook giggled as he looked at Jihyo.

 

         “Manghaesda.”, Haha uttered in silence as he witnessed Jongkook’s behavior.

 

 

Hyangmi is a Taiwanese restaurant which is located near the Yeonnam-dong at Mapogu. Taiwanese pork cutlet, uyuktang noodle and menbosha are the famous dishes in Hyangmi. Especially a menbosha, a fried shrimp sandwich which is a rare dish that people can’t find easily in other Chinese restaurants at Korea.

 

             But, as usual, Jongkook and Jihyo ordered each jajangmyeon and jjampong due to their favorite foods, and Hyangmi also known serving their jajangmyeon and jjampong with amazing tastes that become both Jongkook and Jihyo’s favorite dishes.

 

             “Can we order the menbosha too, Jongkook hyeongsa? I suddenly craved for it.”, Jihyo said as she looked at the menu.

 

             “Anything you want.”, Jongkook nodded while looking at the menu too.

 

             “Anything you want? You sounds like unnie’s boyfriend, oppa.”, Somin said while looking Jongkook with her surprise expression. 

 

             “Aaaa ani. She can order what she wants.”, Jongkook covered.

 

             “Noona, igeon aniya. You should order tangsuyuk. It’s the best combination with jajangmyeon and jjampong.”, Sechan recommended as he and Somin joined the couple’s dinner.

 

             “You think I don’t know, Sechan-a? I just suddenly craved for the menbosha. Can you order the tangsuyuk, Sechan-a? So that I can taste a bit.”, Jihyo suggested while looking at Sechan.

 

             “Ayyy noona. Why do you like to eat so much? You are still like this. You will lose your mind as the thought of foods. I mean, you are always happy whenever food involved.”, Sechan said while giggling.

 

             “It’s not wrong to eat. As long as you are happy.”, Jongkook interrupted.

 

             “Ara, hyung. It’s just noona looked adorable whenever she talked about food.”, Sechan chuckled while covering his mouth.

 

             “Adorable?”, Jongkook suddenly frowned. Totally felt slightly jealous by Sechan’s compliment.

 

             “She is.”, Somin supported while giggling.

 

             “Ayyyy. Just order your food, now.”, Jihyo said as she tapped Jongkook’s hand to stop being jealous over mere things. 

 

             “Keurae.”, Sechan agreed.

 

             As all of them has placed their order, they had a talked about the Rainbow Umbrella Killer while waiting for their food.

 

             “Unnie, did Wookmin’s helped you for the Rainbow Umbrella Killer’s investigation?”, Somin asked Jihyo while looking at her.

 

             “Yes. He helped a lot, Somin-a. I can finally removed firefighter and soldier from the list. It’s narrow down to police and doctor.”, Jihyo said.

 

             “Any other lead, noona? Hyung?”, Sechan asked in curious.

 

             “I happened to find out about the possible target of the Rainbow Umbrella Killer.”, Jongkook revealed.

 

             “Ne? Jinjja oppa?”, Somin asked in shock that her eyes opened widely.

 

             “Eo. Jongkook hyeongsa found out about

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter