Partner

Chase
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Annyeonghaseyo. I am Kim Jongkook, a detective from Anyang Station. I’m willingly to transfer here because I want to help to catch the Rainbow Umbrella Killer and also working together with all of you to solve other cases too. Nice to meet all of you and I hope we can work better together.”, Jongkook greeted with a light bowed to his new team member at Mapo Station in Domestic Violence Department.

 

             “Keurayo. Kim Jongkook hyeongsa. I hope we all can work together. I am your team leader, Yoo Jaesuk.”, Jaesuk greeted back while reaching his hand to Jongkook.

 

             “Ne, timjangnim.”, Jongkook shaked his hand with Jaesuk.

 

             “I am Ha Donghoon, Jongkook hyeongsanim.”, Haha also welcoming Jongkook with a hand shake.

 

             “I am Lee Kwangsoo. The maknae of DVD.”, Kwangsoo also greeted Jongkook.

 

             “Jihyo hyeongsa?”, Jaesuk called Jihyo who is still not greeting Jongkook as she is zoning out. 

 

             “Ne. Jeuseonghamnida, timjangnim.”, Jihyo quickly knocked a sense on herself. “I am Song Jihyo. You probably know me well.”, Jihyo said while reaching her hand to Jongkook.

 

             “Ne, Jihyo hyeongsanim. I knew you well since you are all over the news. You are the famous detective who are eagerly to catch the Rainbow Umbrella Killer.”, Jongkook said while receiving her hand shake.

 

             “Ne. If you know me well I hope we can catch him together, Jongkook hyeongsanim.”, Jihyo said as she pulled away her hand from Jongkook. She was actually anxious that Jongkook might remember her from the high school, not from the news. By the way Jongkook reacted after seeing her, she assumed that Jongkook doesn’t remember her. That put her in relieved. 

 

             “Ne. I hope we can work together and I really hope that you won’t trying hard to be a hero by investigating alone.”, Jongkook fired Jihyo with a truth fact that made Jihyo surprised, as well as the others. The situation suddenly getting awkward with a cold atmosphere filling the air.

 

             “Ne. If you said so. Keureom.”, Jihyo managed to answer coolly with a light bowed to Jongkook despite snapped by Jongkook’s word, though it’s true. She instantly walked away from the office.

 

             “I see this is not going to be easy.”, Haha sighed as he swung on his chair.

 

             “Jihyo sunbaenim, eodigayo?”, Kwangsoo shouted at Jihyo who were leaving.

 

             “Just to get some coffee.”, Jihyo answered without looking at them.

 

             “Just leave her. She just wanted some coffee.”, Jaesuk warned Kwangsoo while tapping his shoulder. “Should I give you a task now, Jongkook hyeongsa?”, Jaesuk turned to ask Jongkook.

 

             “Ne, timjangnim.”, Jongkook answered politely. 

 

             “This is your seat, Jongkook hyeongsa.”, Haha said while pointing at the empty table in front of him. As well as next to Jihyo’s table.

 

             Jihyo went to the pantry with a light step and a sighed. She was nervous since yesterday as today was her encounter with Jongkook, her ex-crush on high school. It’s a relieved that Jongkook didn’t remember her but he was being so arrogant for the first time they met. He is still handsome and hot like he used to, but he became even hotter with those bulky muscles on his arms. Does he really a detective or a gym trainer?

 

             “Unnie.”, Somin approached Jihyo at the pantry.

 

             “Eo, Somin-a. Wae?”, Jihyo asked. Surprised by Somin as she is zoning-out.

 

             “Gwenchana? Why are you zoning-out while making a coffee? The new team member is not good?”, Somin asked as she is only sat beside the DVD. So, all of them; Sukjin, Gary, Sechan and her also witnessed the scene where Jongkook greeted Jihyo’s team member.

 

             “Eo, gwenchana. Ani. I don’t know him yet. So I don’t know whether he is good or not.”, Jihyo said while raising her eyebrows to Somin.

 

             “Keurae?”, Somin asked to make sure.

 

             “Eo, Somin-a. Keokjeong hajima. Anyway, what are you doing here?”, Jihyo asked as she reached her coffee from the coffee maker. 

 

             “Why I am here? Keureom, unnie neun? Why are you here?”, Somin asked back.

 

             “Na? Keureom I’m making a coffee. What else?”, Jihyo answered with her mong face.

 

             “Nado.”, Somin answered innocently. Of course making coffee too since they were at the pantry.

 

             “Eo? Eo.”, Jihyo nodded as soon as she realized it. 

 

             “Mwoya, unnie? You are always like this. Mong.”, Somin chuckled while making her coffee next to Jihyo.

 

             “But I’m an Ace, keutji?”, Jihyo smiled while sticking out her tongue to Somin.

 

             “Eo. That is why I like you.”, Somin scrunched her nose to Jihyo.

 

             “Jeon Somin.”, Jihyo smiled while shaking her head.

 

 

The sound of rustling paper, tapping keyboard of laptop and scribbling pencil filled the air of DVD as all of them focusing doing their own work. Jaesuk is busied separating two files of the Rainbow Umbrella Killer cases as they got a new evidence last week. 

 

             “Donghoon and Kwangsoo, this is for you guys. Track the CCTV at the nearby scene and make sure look up to any suspicious people and every move of them.”, Jaesuk instructed to Haha and Kwangsoo while giving them a file.

 

             “Ne.”, Haha answered as he received the file.

 

             “Ne, timjangnim.”, Kwangsoo also answered.

 

             “And this is for you too, Jihyo and Jongkook. I want you guys to look up to the shoes size of the Rainbow Umbrella Killer and as well as trace the type of the shoes and the possibility places that he bought the shoes from.”, Jaesuk instructed as he giving the file to them too.

 

             “Ani, oppa. Aniyo, timjangnim. I thought I’m with Donghoon hyeongsa?”, Jihyo asked while receiving the file.

 

             “Since Jongkook hyeongsa is here, you have to work with him. Donghoon is with Kwangsoo, he is no more your partner. I will assign you with Jongkook hyeongsa for now.”, Jaesuk explained while pointing his finger to Jongkook.

 

             “Ani…”, Jihyo tried to talk back.

 

             “Ne, timjangnim.”, Jongkook answered his team leader.

 

             “Keurae. You guys can go now.”, Jaesuk instructed again. 

 

             “Jaesuk-a, you won’t make any welcoming dinner for your new team member?”, Sukjin who was from CID, next to their office, suddenly approached them.

 

             “We will. After their work are done for the day.”, Jaesuk answered.

 

             “Keurae? Should our team join too?”, Sukjin asked while pointing at his team.

 

             “Aigoo, Sukjin timjangnim. Who says you can?”, Haha joked.

 

             “Ani. We have that special bond, keutji? So why not?”, Sukjin chuckled.

 

             “He will never lose his opportunity.”, Kwangsoo said while pointing to Sukjin. 

 

             “Arasseo. See you guys tonight. Yeonnamseo Sikdang, 8pm.”, Jaesuk said. 

 

 

“You don’t like to work with me, Jihyo hyeongsanim?”, Jongkook asked as both of them were in the car. To go to the scene, Heongyeon Children Park.

 

             “It’s nothing like that, Jongkook hyeongsanim. Don’t think too much about it.”, Jihyo said while looking outside the window.

 

             “I’m sorry but I can’t work with people like you.”, Jongkook said honestly.

 

             “Like me?”, Jihyo asked in anger while looking at Jongkook.

 

             “Ne, like you. You always tried to work alone without trying to ask for help from your team member. Well, you have your team. Why working alone? You can open your own private detective agency then. And if you’re trying to be hero while trying to catch the Rainbow Umbrella Killer, I advice you that don’t be. Are you doing this because you want to get promote or to impress the higher up? Or are you just selfish?”, Jongkook fired.

 

             “Ya, Jongkook hyungsa. What are you saying to me? Aren’t you being too harsh on your first day here?”, Jihyo asked in disbelief.

 

             “Ani. It’s true, right? Unless you want to get promote or-“.

 

             “It’s nothing like that. Keumanhaeyo. I’m doing this not because of I want to impress the higher up or to get promote and so on. I’m doing this because I wanted to. You don’t have the right to judge me.”, Jihyo said while looking Jongkook straight in the eyes though he is looking forward as he is driving.

 

             “I’m not judging you. I said what I saw and observed.”, Jongkook answered smoothly.

 

             “Are you perhaps investigating me too?”, Jihyo asked in disbelief while crossing her arms.

 

             “I’m sorry if you feel like that.”, Jongkook apologized. “We are here. Let’s go out.”, Jongkook said as he parked his car. He instantly went out from his car and entered the scene with Jihyo.

 

             Jihyo was looking at the Rainbow Umbrella Killer’s footprint near the slide while Jongkook was tracing at the entrance of the park. 

 

             “Jihyo hyeongsa, do you notice this before?”, Jongkook asked Jihyo from distance as he flashed his flashlight at the footprint.

 

             “What is it?”, Jihyo asked as she approached Jongkook. Looking closely to the pointed footprint.         

 

             “Igeoyo. The footprint seemed a bit weird. It’s scratched a little bit here.”, Jongkook pointed at the roughen part on the footprint.

 

             “Eo?”, Jihyo opened her eyes widely.

 

             “The other also looked like that. Look at this. Every left footprint has this scratched.”, Jongkook said while pointing at the other left footprint of the killer.

 

             “Majayo.”, Jihyo agreed.

 

             “Keutji?”, Jongkook stood up while looking at Jihyo.

 

             “Do you think it’s a worn-out shoes?”, Jihyo asked while looking at Jongkook.

 

             “Ne, I think so.”, Jongkook nodded.

 

             “Arasseoyo. Keep looking then.”, Jihyo said while walking away from Jongkook to her place earlier.

 

             “Ne.”, Jongkook replied. Continuing his part too.

 

             It’s been about an hour Jongkook and Jihyo observing the scene. They even went instantly to the nearby place to look for some possibility or hidden clues that they might miss. Fortunately, they found the worn-out shoes. They immediately goes to National Forensic Service to submit the shoes.

 

             “Jihyo hyeongsa.”, Jongkook called her as they were back in the car.

 

             “Ne?”, Jihyo answered.

 

             “What is the reason of you to catch the Rainbow Umbrella Killer?”, Jongkook suddenly asked.

 

             “Ne? Isn’t it obvious? I’m a detective. So I should catch a killer, keutji? Don’t you the same?”, Jihyo asked while looking at Jongkook.

 

             “Ne, nado yo. Hajiman, It’s just weird to see you eagerly wanted to catch him. Made me wonder you have another motive.”, Jongkook said honestly.

 

             “You think I’m desperate? Just think that I’m workaholic, Jongkook hyeongsa. Just like what my team members said. Gwenchanayo.”, Jihyo answered as she turned her head to the window.

 

             “Aniyo. I didn’t say you were desperate. I like your eagerness. Made me wanted to work better. Especially with you.”, Jongkook said.

 

             “Especially with me?”, Jihyo asked in surprise. What does he mean by that?

 

 

“Here’s to eternity – may we spend it in as good company as this night finds us. Welcome, Kim Jongkook hyeongsanim.”, Sukjin making a toast while raising his glass with his team members and also Jaesuk’s.

 

             “Kyaaaa~~”, they said in unison as they sipped their beer.

 

             “It’s our team welcoming dinner but he is the one who got excited, eo?”, Haha said while pointing his finger to Sukjin.

 

             “He even made a toast when it is suppose to be Jaesuk hyung.”, Sechan chuckled.

 

             “Can’t I?”, Sukjin shamelessly asked.

 

           “Gwenchana.”, Jaesuk grinned. “You don’t drink Jongkook hyeongsa?”, Jaesuk asked Jongkook who is not sipping his beer.

 

             “I don’t drink. Jeuseonghamnida.”, Jongkook answered politely, not to offend them since it’s his welcoming dinner.

 

             “You don’t drink or you can’t?”, Haha asked.

 

             “He didn’t drink because he wanted to be healthy.”, Jihyo answered while sipping her beer without noticing that all eyes were on her.

 

             “Eo? Song Jihyoooo. You just worked with him a day yet you already knew about him?”, Haha teased making Jihyo’s shock. Yes, she knew that Jongkook didn’t drink because he wanted to be healthy. He even said that to her once in high school, ‘I don’t want to drink even when I turn 20.’. Damn, she remembered that. Kwangsoo quickly steal a glance at Jihyo as she almost make a mistake and reveal that she know Jongkook. 

 

             “Ani… Ani… Just look at his muscle. He probably went to the gym every day to stay healthy and maintain his good lifestyle.”, Jihyo stuttered while looking at Kwangsoo. Probably a sign for her to ask his help.

 

             “Eo, maja. Look at those bulky muscle. Wow!”, Kwangsoo continued while looking at Jongkook’s arms.

 

             “Majayo. I didn’t drink because I want to take care of my health. That’s all.”, Jongkook giggled while looking at all of them.

 

             “Keuraeyo? Do you really go to the gym every day then?”, Sukjin asked in curious.

 

             “Most probably.”, Jongkook smiled.

 

             “How can you manage your time going to the gym as a busy detective?”, Gary asked. Also curious.

 

             “I have my own way.”, Jongkook replied while chuckling.

 

             “Anyway, your name seems familiar but I can’t recognize you. I’ve never seen you before. But your name…”, Jaesuk said to Jongkook while tilting his head.

 

             “Where can you see him, oppa?”, Somin asked in disbelief. It doesn’t make sense that Jaesuk know Jongkook. He is from Anyang.

 

             “Oppa?”, Jongkook asked as he heard Somin called Jaesuk as ‘oppa’, not ‘timjangnim’. Where is the formality between this two teams?

 

             “Eo, Jongkook hyeongsa. We will drop the formality when the working hour end.”, Haha explained to the puzzle Jongkook.

 

             “Do you want we to call you…. ‘hyung’? Jongkook hyung?”, Kwangsoo asked carefully while looking at Jongkook.

 

             “Keuraeyo. Suits yourself.”, Jongkook nodded with a smile. He doesn’t care since he is comfortable with all of them. Except for that one woman, Song Jihyo.

 

             “Keurae. Jongkook oppa.”, Somin said in excitement.

 

             “Ya, Jeon Somin.”, Sechan nudged Somin while looking at her.

 

             “Sechan is jealous.”, Kwangsoo pointed out while laughing.

 

             “They are together?”, Jongkook asked in puzzle.

 

             “Ani. But they will.”, Sukjin said.

 

             “Ani, oppa.”, Somin said while pouting.

 

             “Ani, hyung.”, Sechan also denied.

 

             “Keurae. Can you talk about yourself, Jongkook hyung?”, Kw

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter