Confusion

Chase
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The wet, desolate streets of the city rested in silence as the starry black sky wept over it. The water in the portholes shimmered by the glow of the bright, colorful tall building of Seoul. Above a faded zebra crossing, a traffic light frantically changed colors seeming rather like a disco light. A woman stood confidently by the rooftop under the protection of her office’s roof.

 

             The sweet aroma of coffee taking over her sense. The better, yet invitingly warm smell filled the atmosphere, making her taste buds ache for the creamy, smooth coffee that she longed for. She moved the cup to her lip as her nose deeply inhaling the strong undeniable scent of the coffee she was about to devour.

 

             “Jihyo.”, a familiar voice broke her thoughts.

 

             “Ne, timjangnim.”, Jihyo turned to look at the familiar voice of her team leader, Yoo Jaesuk.

 

             “You won’t go home yet? What are you doing here alone?”, Jaesuk asked Jihyo who he accidentally met at the rooftop as he was going there too. 

 

             “Later, timjangnim.”, Jihyo answer politely.

 

             “Musseun tingjangnim, Jihyo-ya? It’s out of working hour, you can speak formally to me now.”, Jaesuk reminded.

 

             “Eo, oppa. Are you not going home yet?”, Jihyo asked as she dropped the formality. It’s not working hour anymore. Jaesuk often reminded her not to bother address him formally since he is comfortable with Jihyo as they are already working together for a decade.

 

             “Ajik. Later.”, Jaesuk answered as he sipped his coffee next to Jihyo.

 

             “Oppa, what do you think about the Copycat Rainbow Umbrella Killer? We almost had him. The new evidence surely pointed at the Rainbow Umbrella Killer but the mistake he made by leaving a footprint at the scene seems nothing like him. Do you seriously think he purposely made it or it’s a mistake?”, Jihyo asked curiously as she looked at Jaesuk.

 

             “I’m not sure, Jihyo-ya. But it seems doesn’t like him since he made mistake. He is a professional killer that we have been chasing for 7 years and he never made a mistake.”, Jaesuk sighed.

 

             “We need to gather a lot of information and evidences, oppa. This is not clear. I’m not satisfied. It’s make me furious.”, Jihyo revealed.

 

             “Jihyo, I know how much you want to catch this killer since we have been chasing him for 7 years. But I’m grateful if you are not working hard on yourself too much, eo? Take a rest too.”, Jaesuk reminded as he pointed his finger to Jihyo. A sincere reminder for his beloved junior.

 

             “Arasseo, oppa. I will. Keokjeong hajima.”, Jihyo smiled to Jaesuk to assure him.

 

             “Jihyo, do you have other motives to catch the Rainbow Umbrella Killer?”, Jaesuk carefully asked.

 

             “Musseun motive, oppa?”, Jihyo asked with her mong face.

 

             “Ani. You seem eager to catch him. Are you perhaps holding a grudge for him?”, Jaesuk asked while tilting his head.

 

             “Musseun, oppa? It’s nothing like that. You know how eager am I to catch a killer until I succeed. Since we have been chasing the Rainbow Umbrella Killer for 7 years, it made me desperate, keutji oppa?”, Jihyo asked.

 

             “Ani. I’m not saying that you are desperate to catch him. Both of us, Donghoon and Kwangsoo are trying so hard to catch him too but here we are, still chasing him.”, Jaesuk explained as he sighed.

 

             “Maja, oppa. He is one of the reasons I can’t take rest properly.”, Jihyo joked.

 

             “Jihyo-ya, I told you to take your rest properly. I know you are a workaholic, but please think about yourself to sometime. Donghoon, me and Kwangsoo are solving it too. You don’t trust us, Jihyo-ya?”, Jaesuk asked in disbelief. 

 

             “Aniya, oppa. I feel better when I do it by myself.”, Jihyo smiled.

 

             “So you don’t like it if we interrupt?”, Jaesuk accused.

 

             “Ani. I’m grateful that we are a team and helped each other. It’s just sometime I’m too eager to find those hidden evidence that leave me in curiosity, oppa.”, Jihyo admitted.

 

             “This is why Kwangsoo often scold you. You’re so stubborn. I’m grateful if you share with us too instead of working alone, Jihyo-ya.”, Jaesuk almost plead. He is the senior but he is the one who pleaded to his junior. Jihyo is really stubborn, he thoughts. 

 

             “I did share with all of you, oppa.”, Jihyo pouted.

 

             “Eo, you did. But you’re working alone before that. You went to the scene alone and gathered information alone. I think I heard you properly earlier that we are a ‘team’, Jihyo.”, Jaesuk emphasized.

 

             “Arasseo, oppa.”, Jihyo nodded to stop Jaesuk’s nagging though she knew she won’t let them be with her. Going alone is rather better.

 

             “Jihyo, Jihyo. I can’t believe if you said that to me. It’s been years, but still you are like this. I don’t know anymore.”, Jaesuk sighed again.

 

             “Believe me, oppa.”, Jihyo looked at Jaesuk closer, to win her senior’s heart.

 

             “Mwoya? This is why I can’t mad at you.”, Jaesuk giggled.

 

             “I’m cute, keutji?”, Jihyo teased.

 

             “You’re not.”, Jaesuk shook his head as he giggled. “Eo, Jihyo-ya. You know we will have a new team member next week, right?”, Jaesuk reminded as he recalled his Superintendent’s notice.

 

             “Eo, oppa. The one from Anyang, keutji?”, Jihyo asked to make sure.

 

             “Eo. He seems familiar.”, Jaesuk clicked his tongue while tilting his head.

 

             “Ottoke, oppa? You know him?”, Jihyo asked while putting her mong expression.

 

             “His name seems familiar. But I don’t know he look like.”, Jaesuk answered.

 

             “What is his name?”, Jihyo asked.

 

             “Kim Jongkook.”, Jaesuk replied. 

 

             “Kim Jongkook?”, Jihyo repeated.

 

 

“Noona, where have you been just now?”, Kwangsoo asked Jihyo who waited on her at her apartment. “I thought you are going here after Jaesuk hyung asked us to clock out early today?”, Kwangsoo asked in disbelief while looking at Jihyo with no answer.

 

             “Don’t make a fuss, Kwangsoo. I was at the station just now.”, Jihyo sighed as she put her bag on the table and quickly leaned on the sofa.

 

             “Seolma. Are you going to investigate alone again?”, Kwangsoo accused.

 

             “Ani, Kwangsoo-ya.”, Jihyo replied while closing her eyes. She is too tired to answer Kwangsoo.

 

             “Mwoya? Don’t you dare to go alone again. Pull yourself together, noona! Remember what happen to you last time when you are chasing keu saekki Rainbow Umbrella Killer? You almost kill yourself!”, Kwangsoo exasperated. 

 

             “Ya! That was because you guys are late. We almost had him. He is ing in front of my eyes but my ing leg suddenly got tripped by the fence and fell on the ground. Ahhh sibal! It made me mad every time I recalled it.”, Jihyo screamed.

 

             “This is why we ask you not to act alone, noona. You’re not a hero.”, Kwangsoo said in anger as he took a seat next to Jihyo.

 

             “Arasseo, saekki-ya. Can you just shut up? I’m tired.”, Jihyo asked to his understanding. She really is tired that she doesn’t even have the energy to take shower but she has to, since she wanted to sleep. She will never lay herself on the bed until she takes her shower. That is kind of a person she is.

 

             “Do you want coffee, noona? Or tea?”, Kwangsoo offered as he is concern at Jihyo. She looked really tired and he feel bad for scolding her earlier.

 

             “Aniya, Kwangsoo. I just want to sleep right now. But I’m too tired to take shower.”, Jihyo sighed as she closed her eyes.

 

             “You want me to help?”, Kwangsoo joked.

 

             “Neo michin nom. Why are you here, saekki ya? Go back to your own apartment or spend your time with Sunbin. Why bothering me here?”, Jihyo glared at him. Straight in the eyes making Kwangsoo intimidated. 

 

             “Ani. You don’t answer your call. I’m afraid something happened to you.”, Kwangsoo explained.

 

             “I’m an adult, Kwangsoo. Noona gwenchana, eo?”, Jihyo assured while tapping Kwangsoo’s shoulder.

 

             “It’s because you always does thing alone. You worried me, noona.”, Kwangsoo revealed in sullen.

 

             “Arasseo. Noona ga mianhae. I will inform to you and Donghoon oppa and also Jaesuk oppa next time.”, Jihyo smiled to make sure.

 

             “You promise, eo?”, Kwangsoo showed his pinky finger.             

 

             “Are you a kid?”, Jihyo chuckled. “I promised.”, Jihyo smiled as she took Kwangsoo’s pinky finger. 

 

             “Arasseo. Now go to shower, noona.”, Kwangsoo instructed as he pointed the bathroom.

 

             “Later.”, Jihyo answered shortly as she leaned back to the sofa while closing her eyes.

 

             “This is why you need a boyfriend, noona. At least he can shower you.”, Kwangsoo said in frustration to Jihyo.

 

             “Michin nom. I can handle myself.”, Jihyo said.

 

             “You can’t if you look like this in front of me.”, Kwangsoo scoffed.

 

             “Can you mind your own business, Kwangsoo?”, Jihyo asked while sighing.

 

             Eo, noona. Maja. Do you know we will be having a new team member next week?”, Kwangsoo asked as he ignored Jihyo’s question earlier.

 

             “Eo. Jaesuk oppa informed me.”, Jihyo answered.

 

             “He is Kim Jongkook. Do you remember?”, Kwangsoo asked. “Keu nom. The one who liked you at high school and the one who you had a crush on too. Remember, noona?”, Kwangsoo revealed as Jihyo keeping shut.

 

             “Nugu?”, Jihyo asked in disbelief as she get up to look at Kwangsoo closely. Shock, probably.

 

             “Kim Jongkook. He always teased you and followed you everywhere. He is that Kim Jongkook.”, Kwangsoo explained with his eyes opened widely.

 

             “Muscle man?”, Jihyo predicted while looking at Kwangsoo in disbelief.

 

             “Eo. The

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter