The Truth

Chase
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Eo? Jihyo hyeongsa and Jongkook hyeongsa are not here? They didn’t spend the night in the office?”, Jaesuk asked as soon as he entered the office.

 

             “Ne, timjangnim. I don’t know what has gotten into both of them. Are they getting lazy or tired of chasing the Rainbow Umbrella Killer?”, Haha answered as he leaned his head on the chair while staring on the ceiling.

 

             “As I know, Jihyo hyeongsanim will never back out from chasing the Rainbow Umbrella Killer.”, Kwangsoo stated.

 

             “Majayo.”, Haha cuckled.

 

             “Joheun achim.”, Jihyo greeted Jaesuk, Haha and Kwangsoo as soon as she entered the office. Along with Jongkook.

 

             “Joheun achim.”, Jongkook greeted too as soon as he took his seat.

 

             “Why are you staring at me?”, Jihyo asked to Jaesuk, Haha and Kwangsoo who stared at her instead of exchanging their greeting.

 

             “Are you coming together?”, Haha asked bluntly.

 

             “Uri yo? Aniyo.”, Jihyo denied as she opened her eyes widely.

 

             “I saw your car earlier at the parking lot when you are still not here.”, Kwangsoo stated as he looked at Jihyo.

 

             “Jongkook hyeongsanim picked me up since he gave me a ride last night.”, Jihyo admitted.

 

             “Jongkook hyeongsa ga wae?”, Jaesuk asked while tilting his head.

 

             “I accompanied her to the hospital after we grabbed our dinner soon as we wrapped the investigation. And I send her home immediately.”, Jongkook explained.

 

             “Noona ga wae? Why are you going to the hospital, noona? Are you hurt?”, Kwangsoo stood up while approaching Jihyo.

 

             “Ya, ya, ya. Ne gwenchana.”, Jihyo stopped as she grabbed Kwangsoo’s hand to stop him making a fuss.

 

             “Noona acting alone again, Jongkook hyeongsanim?”, Kwangsoo turned to ask Jongkook.

 

             “Aniyo, Kwangsoo hyeongsa. Her stitches opened. So I brought her to the hospital to stitch her wound back. She even got infection.”, Jongkook answered as he looked at Kwangsoo and pointed his finger to Jihyo.

 

             “Jinjjayo? Ottokhaeyo?”, Kwangsoo asked in furious.

 

             “Is this because you chased Kim Sungok yesterday, Jihyo?”, Haha predicted. 

 

             “Ne.”, Jihyo sighed as she made her team member worried of her again.

 

             “It’s my fault. I shouldn’t let you go to the scene.”, Jaesuk sighed too.

 

             “Aniyo timjangnim. Going to the scene was not an extreme job but it’s my decision to chase over him. Well, he was right in front of my eyes. How can I just lose him?”, Jihyo giving excuses.

 

             “You should put yourself first sometime, noona.”, Kwangsoo shook his head.

 

             “I told you.”, Jongkook whispered to Jihyo.

 

             “Jigeum gwenchanayo, Jihyo hyeongsa?”, Haha asked in worry.

 

             “Ne. Keokjeong hajimayo.”, Jihyo assured.

 

             “Keurae. If you are good then fine. Just don’t think of something stupid again, Jihyo hyeongsa.”, Jaesuk reminded.

 

             “Ne.”, Jihyo nodded.

 

             “Anyway, regarding Lee Hyunsoo and Yoon Jeonghee. Any update?”, Jaesuk started his work.

 

             “Ne. Igeoyo, timjangnim.”, Haha passed the files to Jaesuk.

 

             “Can you brief me?”, Jaesuk said as he flipped the page on the case files of Lee Hyunsoo and Yoon Jeonghee.

 

             “Lee Hyunsoo. 24-year-old male who live at Wonji Dong, Seochogu, with his family; a father, mother and a brother. He dropped out from high school due to assaulting one of his classmates. He known as violence at school and befriended with the victim, Kim Sungok and Yoon Jeonghee. He was transferred from Apgujeong High School to Sangam High School and met these three. Fourth of them became friends since then. His parent is rich since his father was a businessman and his mother was a surgeon at Cha Medical Centre at Gangnam. His brother is a teacher at Gangnam Elementary School as an English teacher. His family background is quite good but he himself is unemployed and dropped out from high school.”, Haha explained as he read the information from his monitor.

 

             “Yoon Jeonghee. 24-year-old male who live at Macheon Dong, Songpagu with his father and a little sister. His mother has died 4 years ago due to cancer. It’s nothing weird from him but he was known as Hyunsoo’s tail in high school. He is going anywhere with Lee Hyunsoo where ever he goes.”, Kwangsoo turned to explain.

 

             “Any criminal records?”, Jaesuk asked while tilting his head.

 

             “Aniyo, timjangnim. Just an assault from Lee Hyunsoo but it’s not in the criminal record. Only juvenile record since he was underage at that time.”, Haha replied.

 

             “Keuraeyo.”, Jaesuk nodded.

 

             “Timjangnim, can you give me and Jongkook hyeongsanim to track Lee Hyunsoo?”, Jihyo interrupted.

 

             “You wanted to? Keuraeyo keureom. So, Donghoon hyeongsa and Kwangsoo hyeongsa will go to Songpagu to track Yoon Jeonghee. You guys can go now.”, Jaesuk instructed.

 

 

Haha and Kwangsoo looked around to find Yoon Jeonghee’s house at Sonpagu. Buildings were tan stucco and wood slat, built around grassy knolls. It thrived as people went about their daily business, some walking or packing load, others pounding corn in hollow mortars. The sound of shrieking children mingled with flute music.

 

    “Annyeonghaseyo, abeonim.”, Haha greeted one of the passerby who live at Sonpagu. 

 

             “Ne, annyeonghaseyo.”, the old man greeted back.

 

             “Do you happen to know him? I’m Ha Donghoon hyeongsanim who is looking for this person. His name is Yoon Jeonghee.”, Haha asked as he showed Yoon Jeonghee’s picture to the old man.

 

             “Mollayo. I never seen him before or I didn’t notice him living here since I have a bad eyesight. Jeuseonghamnida.”, the old man said while walking away.

 

             “Ne. Kamsahamnida.”, Haha bowed lightly while looking at the old man who walked away from them.

 

             “I think we should search over there, Donghoon hyeongsanim.”, Kwangsoo said as he pointed at the left alley of the Sonpagu neighborhood.

 

             Both of them looked around again to find the suspect’s house but nothing. Even the lot number was also different from what they search.

 

             “Nuguseyo? Are you looking for someone? I’ve never seen you before.”, an old woman approached Haha and Kwangsoo who looked like they are desperately looking for someone.

 

             “Aaaa ne. Annyeonghaseyo eomonim. I am Ha Donghoon hyeongsanim and this is Lee Kwangsoo hyeongsanim. We are looking for someone here.”, Haha said politely to the old woman.

 

          “Hyeongsanim? Did something happen in our neighborhood?”, the old woman asked in panic that she covered her opened mouth with her hand.

 

             “Aniyo, eomonim. We just wanted to look for this person because he might be a witnessed for a murdered case that we are investigating.”, Kwangsoo interrupted.

 

             “Keuraeyo? Who is it?”, the old woman asked.

 

             “Igeoyo. His name is Yoon Jeonghee. I heard he live somewhere here but we can’t find his house.”, Haha stated as he showed the suspect’s picture to the old woman.

 

             “Eo? I know him. He is a part timer at Gamachi Sikdang.”, the old woman said.

 

             “Jinjjayo? Do you know where he lives?”, Kwangsoo asked the old woman as he looked at her with his eyes opened widely.

 

             “He live there. In the corner. His house at the back and people always can’t find it. So I think that’s the same reason as both of you.”, the old woman pointed to the spot behind them.

 

        “Kamsahamnida, eomonim.”, Haha and Kwangsoo thanked the old woman with a bow and rapidly went to the pointed spot.

 

             “Igeoya.”, Haha said as he looked at the house number.

 

             “Should I knock, Donghoon hyeongsanim?”, Kwangsoo asked to make sure.

 

             “Ne. I will standby here if he tries to run away.”, Haha said as he guarded the entrance.

 

             “Ne.”, Kwangsoo nodded.

 

             Tok tok tok. The sound of the door knocked by Kwangsoo.

 

             “Chogiyo. Anyone home?”, Kwangsoo shouted as he knocked the door while peeking from outside.

 

             “Chogiyo!”, Kwangsoo shouted again as there were no answer and no single soul were outside to answer him.

 

             “Ne?”, a figure of an adult male who seemed like a suspect came outside to approach Kwangsoo. “Nugu?”, he asked.

 

             “Are you Yoon Jeong-“,

 

             “C… Sibal.”, the suspect cursed as he pushed Kwangsoo from his sight and ran away without having an idea that there was another detective was guarded the entrance outside.

 

             “Ya!”, Haha shouted as he stepped on the suspect’s feet till he fell on the ground.

 

             “Mwoya?!”, Jeonghee shouted as Haha quickly handcuffed his hands. 

 

             “You thought you could run away, eo?”, Kwangsoo stepped out while pointing to the suspect.

 

             “Sibal! Na aniya!”, the suspect cursed again with dissatisfied.

 

             “We will talk at the station.”, Haha said while grabbing Yoon Jeonghee.

 

 

“Where is he? We have been stacking out here since this morning.”, Jihyo sighed. “Now it’s 10:23pm.”, Jihyo looked onher Apple watch. 

 

             “He should be out right now.”, Jongkook said as he is still peeking from his car.

 

             “Na baeugeuppa yo.”, Jihyo said while looking at Jongkook.

 

             “I should buy us some food. Can you wait here?”, Jongkook offered.

 

             “Ne.”, Jihyo nodded.

 

             “Anything you want?”, Jongkook asked again to Jihyo.

 

             “Buy me coffee and food, emmm… anything you buy I would eat it. Hajiman, if there’s a mint choco ice cream can you buy it for me too?”, Jihyo said while grabbing Jongkook’s arm.

 

             “Ne? Mint choco?”, Jongkook asked while opening his mouth and eyes widely.

 

             “Aniya. It would trouble you. Ka yo.”, Jihyo nodded as she pushed Jongkook gently.

 

             “Wait here, Jihyo hyeongsanim.”, Jongkook reminded while closing the car door.

 

             “She has a childish taste. Mwo? Mint choco?”, Jongkook chuckled on his way to the 7 Eleven nearby.

 

             He entered the 7 Eleven convenience store and took some sausages, onigiri, kimbap and bun. He doesn’t know what Jihyo like so he just grabbed anything that he wanted to eat and other unhealthy food that Jihyo might like. He then went to pick the coffee in the fridge shop for two cans for him and also Jihyo.

 

             “Mint choco.”, Jongkook murmured as he is looking for the mint choco ice cream that Jihyo requested.

 

             “Eo? Eobseo.”, Jongkook said in disappointment while looking for it in the ice cream fridge. “Gwenchana I will look at the other convenience store nearby.”, Jongkook talked to himself and went straightly to the counter.

 

             Jongkook went to search for the mint choco ice cream at the CU convenience store across the 7 Eleven. He hoped that he can find it before it’s too late. Jihyo is alone in the car while stacking out the suspect.

 

             “Do you have mint choco ice cream here?”, Jongkook straight away to ask the staff at CU, not wanting to waste time.

 

             “Eobseoyo. Jeuseonghamnida.”, the staff replied with a bow to Jongkook.             

 

             “Ne, suguhaesseyo.”, Jongkook bowed back and went to the next convenience store nearby. 

 

             GS25 was the next convenience store he went and he decided not to look after it again later because he is running out of time. Worrying that Jihyo is alone in the car too.

 

             “Do you have mint choco ice cream here?”, Jongkook repeated the same question straight away to the staff at GS25.

 

             “Ne. We do have it.”, the staff replied while pointing at the ice cream fridge next to Jongkook.

 

             “Keuraeyo?”, Jongkook smiled as if he spotted a culprit, not a mint choco ice cream. 

 

“I will take one.”, Jongkook rapidly grabbed the mint choco ice cream and paid it at the counter.

 

He ran to his car where he parked earlier as he is still stacking out with Jihyo. He knocked the window as a gesture to ask Jihyo to unlock the car door. But no response.

 

He then peeked into the car by the window and found that Jihyo was not inside. He suddenly turned into a panic mode as he dropped the plastic bag full of his and Jihyo’s food and drink for the dinner.

 

Jongkook looked around to find at least Jihyo’s silhouette but none. He walked straight in front of the suspect’s house but there still are no trace of her. He took out his phone and dialed Jihyo’s number while walking to his car.

 

“Jongkook hyeongsanim, what are you doing there?”, Jihyo asked with her mong face while trying to open the car door.

 

“Ya! Song Jihyo!”, Jongkook sighed in relief as he found that Jihyo was standing outside of the car. Not knowing where she came from.   

 

“Waeyo? What took you so long?”, Jihyo asked as her eyes followed Jongkook’s.

 

“Eodiga?”, Jongkook panted.

 

“Toilet. I waited for you so long so I went to the toilet because I can’t hold it out anymore.”, Jihyo explained while pointing at the nearby public toilet in distance.

 

“Jinjja?”, Jongkook asked in disbelief while frowning.

 

“Jinjjayo. Waeyo?”, Jihyo asked in puzzle. She suddenly noticed that Jongkook looked panic. “Gwenchanayo, Jongkook hyeongsanim?”, Jihyo slowly approaching Jongkook.

 

“You are not acting alone again?”, Jongkook asked as he assumed that Jihyo’s gone due to her habit of acting and investigating alone.

 

“Aniyo!”, Jihyo said in disbelief. “You thought I’m acting alone again?”, Jihyo frowned.

 

“Ne. I thought I was fooled for the second time.”, Jongkook said honestly.

 

“I’m not doing that anymore.”, Jihyo glared at Jongkook and rapidly took the plastic bag on the ground. “Ahhhh my mint choco.”, Jihyo said in sullen that her mint choco ice cream is ruined.

 

“Mianhaeyo. Do you want me to buy the new one?”, Jongkook offered as he felt guilty for accusing Jihyo and ruining her mint choco ice cream.

 

“Dwaesseoyo. Let’s just go inside. It’s cold.”, Jihyo stated and went inside the car quickly.

 

“I bought sausages, kimbap, onigiri and also some bun. I don’t know which one you like so I just bought it. And the coffee.”, Jongkook informed.

 

“Ne. Gomawoyo, hyeongsanim.”, Jihyo thanked and took the kimbap to eat it. “Emmm massisseo. Na jinjja bageuppa neunde. What took you so long?”, Jihyo uttered.

 

“Looking for your mint choco ice cream.”, Jongkook replied as he took a bite of the kimbap too.

 

“Seolmayo? Are you going around Mapo’s convenience store just to look for the mint choco ice cream?”, Jihyo asked in disbelief that her eyes almost popped out.

 

“You wanted it.”, Jongkook giving excuse.

 

“But if you don’t find it, then don’t, Jongkook hyeongsanim. What is all the trouble just to find the mint choco ice cream?”, Jihyo complained while pouting.

 

 “Gwenchana.”, Jongkook assured. “By the way, he is still inside? Not going out yet?”, Jongkook asked while peeking Lee Hyunsoo’s house.

 

“Ne. He is still not going out yet.”, Jihyo stated.

 

“He didn’t know that we are here, keutji?”, Jongkook asked to make sure.

 

“Seolma?”, Jihyo stopped as she recalled something. He turned to Jongkook while looking at him with a surprise look.

 

“Wae? Do you think he went out while I’m buying dinner and you went to the toilet?”, Jongkook predicted.

 

“Ne.”, Jihyo nodded that her eyes and mouth still widely opened.

 

“Maja. The gate was slightly opened earlier. When I searched for you there.”, Jongkook almost screamed.

 

“Ahhh sibal. Ottokeyo?”, Jihyo groaned.

 

“Let’s look him around here. I think he is not going far yet.”, Jongkook suggested.

 

“Ne.”, Jihyo agreed and went out from the car rapidly.

 

“Jihyo hyeongsa, you look for that way and I will look here. Don’t act stupid and call me as soon as you found him, aratji?”, Jongkook said in a rush.

 

“Ne.”, Jihyo nodded.

 

They instantly part way as Jihyo is going to the left while Jongkook is going to the right. Both of them walked while looking around and peeked on every person that passed by. 

 

As several minutes passed by, a suspicious looking person wearing a grey hoodie with a black cap and black mask walked in front of Jihyo. She looked on the suspicious person and followed him carefully behind, hoping not getting caught.

 

Jihyo have been following him for few minutes that the suspicious person who she believed it was the suspect, Lee Hyunsoo, walking faster than usual. It was the dark alley and Jihyo barely can see anything. She faster her speed only to find that the suspicious person was running away.

 

“Stop!”, Jihyo shouted as she was get caught for following him behind. She immediately ran away to chase the suspect in front of her.

 

“Ya! Lee Hyunsoo!”, Jihyo shouted as she called the suspect again.

 

Lee Hyunsoo showing no sign to stop as he kept running away in the dark alley. Unfortunately for him and fortunately for Jihyo, the suspect went to the dead end.

 

“Sibal!”, Hyunsoo cursed as he walked backward looking at Jihyo who is catching her breath while smirking at him.

 

“Where do you want to go now?”, Jihyo smirked as she walked closer to Hyunsoo.

 

“What do you want from me? Sibal!”, the suspect asked while walking backward only to hit his back on the fence.

 

“I want your confession.”, Jihyo smirked again.

 

“Musseun confession? I did nothing wrong!”, Hyunsoo defended while panting.

 

“You murdered your own friend, Kwon Hyukjae. Keutji?”, Jihyo challenged just to get his confession.

 

“Aniya! Did keu saekki told you?”, Hyunsoo said while referring the ‘saekki’ to Sungok.

 

“You mean Kim Sungok? Emmmm, molla. What do you think he said to me?”, Jihyo tilting her head with a small smirk while raising her eyebrows to Hyunsoo.

 

“Michin saekki.”, Hyunsoo smiled in disbelief.

 

“Neo michin saekki ya! Turn yourself in while I’m being nice.”, Jihyo threatened as she instantly grabbing Hyunsoo’s arm to attack him but Hyunsoo quickly swing it down to break their grip, making Jihyo missed.

 

“Ahhhh!”, Jihyo groaned while touching the wound on her stomach.

 

“How can a police being this weak?”, Hyunsoo laughed as he provoked Jihyo.

 

Without wasting more time, Jihyo got up and walk to Hyunsoo as she landed her punch to his stomach. But as she is not expected, Hyunsoo avoided it and rapidly grabbed Jihyo’s arm and threw her on the ground.

 

“Ahhhh!”, Jihyo cried in pain as the hit on her back to the ground were strong that her wound also felt the pain.

 

“Look! You are weak.”, Hyunsoo smirked again while looking at Jihyo on the ground.

 

“So this explained your assault record? You are not that bad.”, Jihyo provoked Hyunsoo as she got up.

 

“Sibal! Say what you wanted to say. I can end you instantly.”, Hyunsoo getting excited as he is confident he can take Jihyo’s down.

 

“Bring it on.”, Jihyo smirked while provoking Hyunsoo.

 

Hyunsoo quickly come closer and landed a punch on Jihyo’s face making Jihyo cried in pain more. Not giving up, Jihyo immediately use her force as she grabbed Hyunsoo’s arm. She leaned back away from Hyunsoo’s second punch and grabbed his arm while pulling toward her and down. She used her leg to tip Hyunsoo and he fell down instantly. Jihyo used her last bit of energy to grab her handcuff in the pocket and handcuffed him.

 

“You’re still lacking, gae saekki ya.”, Jihyo laughed at Hyunsoo while standing up to look at him on the ground with a handcuff.

 

“Sibal!”, Hyunsoo cursed in dissatisfied.

 

“Jihyo hyeongsanim!”, Jongkook ran toward her as he spotted Jihyo’s silhouette from afar.

 

“Jongkook hyeongsa.”, Jihyo answered while looking at Jongkook who ran toward her.

 

“You caught him.”, Jongkook said. “Gwenchanayo?”, Jongkook asked as he looked at Jihyo who is panting from her fight earlier.

 

“Gwenchanayo.”, Jihyo smiled to assure though her back and her wound hurt.

 

“Jinjjayo? What is this?”, Jongkook asked as he touched Jihyo’s lip. It’s bleeding due from Hyunsoo’s punched earlier.

 

Jihyo who was surprised by Jongkook’s touched, quickly brushed his hand away from her lips. “Amuguesdo aniyo. I just took some hit earlier.”, Jihyo flustered.

 

“Keuraeyo?”, Jongkook asked. “Saekki

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter