nine.

star-crossed.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The next day, Maya feels a bit frightened as she makes her way to Princess Rio's bedroom. 

After being yelled at yesterday, Maya is afraid that the princess no longer likes her. Or, even worse, hates her. 

Once she gets to the door to Rio's bedroom, she knocks on it. 

"Come on in," Rio's voice is heard from the other side. 

Maya nods and makes her way into Rio's bedroom, slowly opening the door.

Princess Rio is quick to catch onto how Maya feels, noticing her nervous body signals. 

"A-Anything I can do to serve you at the moment, your highness?" Maya stutters before bowing. 

"Hey," Rio responds with a frown. "Sorry for yelling at you yesterday. I really didn't want anyone finding out about... that."

"It's... fine," Maya isn't sure what to say. "I apologize as well. I shouldn't have been so nosy," she bows again.

"Remember? You don't need to bow so much," Rio reminds her. "But I accept your apology. As long as you don't tell anyone."

"I won't. I promise."

"Good," Rio nods, giving Maya a faint smile. "You know," she then begins. "I had a nightmare again last night. I would've liked it if you were there with me."

Maya is caught off guard by this, but blushes, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

"You know what," Rio continues to speak. "You're very pretty. For a commoner."

Maya is speechless.

For a commoner? What is that supposed to mean?

Maya takes the compliment anyway.

"Thank you," Maya smiles faintly, still blushing.

"Life as a commoner must be nice," Rio adds. "You can pursue whatever you want."

Maya thinks the princess is acting quite strange.

"If you have money and a good social status," Maya huffs, frustrated by Rio's comment. "Do you really think I wanted to be a royal maid?"

"But you like me now, don't you?" Rio teases lightly with a wink. "I can see your blush."

Maya became even more flustered. She's in so much trouble now!

"I-I'm not blushing," Maya lies, hoping she could talk her way out of it. 

Rio seems to dismiss it and go back to her former topic.

"At least you have freedom to be who you are most of the time," Rio frowns sadly. "I have to be perfect all the time, become the future queen, have children to be my heirs, then die. That's my purpose in life."

Maya can't help but feel bad for Rio in the moment. She can't imagine feeling trapped her whole life without any free will for herself.

"Don't tell anyone I said this, but I think all of this royalty stuff is bull, Maya," Rio suddenly admits, which takes Maya by surprise. "I can't be who I want to be, do what I want to do, love who I want to love," she sighs. "Although you may be poor, at least you have some freedom to be yourself. Money and royalty truly do not mean happiness."

Rio's words really struck Maya. There's still a lot more she needs to learn about this strange princess.

"Thank you for opening up to me about how you feel..." Maya responds, frowning as well. "I hope you can find happiness one day."

Rio gave Maya a warm smile, which shocks her a bit.

"I felt happiness when you spent the night with me," Rio admits. "You are free to join me again tonight if you would like."

"I..." Maya is not sure what to say to this. She is a flustered mess. "I'd love to."

"Good," Rio continues to smile at her. 

"Oh, how's that book you're reading going?" Maya asks curiously, wanting to quickly change the topic so she isn't flustered anymore.

"I finished it," Rio answers. "It was a pretty good read. I love stories of forbidden love."

"What happened in the end?" Maya questions, recalling that the story was about a prince and princess from rival kingdoms who fell in love. 

"How about you read it for yourself?" Rio asks, starting to get up off her bed to go grab it. "I highly recommend it."

"I can't read. I never learned how," Maya suddenly tells her, shocked by Rio's ign

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter