three.

star-crossed.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Maya can't sleep.

Despite being in a comfortable bed, a well-decorated room, and having a full stomach for the first time in years, she still cannot fall asleep.

Her mind is filled with so many thoughts.

Thoughts about her new job. Thoughts about Princess Rio. 

That princess has infected her brain like a disease. One that can never seem to be cured. She can't stop thinking about her.

Maya starts to think she wouldn't mind being her maid for the rest of her life just so she could see her pretty face every day. 

But she knows she shouldn't feel attraction to the princess. She's the princess and future queen of the kingdom meanwhile Maya is just some pauper. It doesn't help that they're both women too. Women are not supposed to fall in love with each other. And yet here she is, falling in love with a stranger who was just rude to her.

She feels very bad for messing up today. 

But nothing can be changed. She only has to do better. 

Still unable to fall asleep, Maya decides to go for a walk to try to clear her mind. 

She gets up out of bed, thinking a walk around the palace would helping her relax. 

She leaves her bedroom and begins to walk, focusing on the details around her instead of the thoughts invading her mind.

Though, something unexpected happens. 

There, right in front of her...

is Princess Rio. 

"You... what are you doing up so late?! You should be in bed!" Rio scolds her. Maya's heart quickens.

"I could ask the same about you!" Maya responds. She's already tired of the princess speaking to her in this way. Like she's nothing.

The air is awkward as the two of them pause in speaking. 

"I couldn't sleep," the princess admits. "So I decided to go for a walk. A walk through the gardens at night always clears my mind, so I'm heading over there. What about you?"

"Your highness, is there anything I could do to help you sleep better?" Maya asks, trying her best to do her job.

"No thanks," Rio shakes her head. "I can handle that myself."

There's something strange about this princess.

"In fact, that's the case for me too. I can't sleep either so I decided to walk around to clear my mind," Maya admits, sighing as she refuses to make eye contact. "It might just be from being in a new place. I have a lot on my mind becaude of it."

"Have you ever left home?" Rio suddenly asks Maya curiously. 

"No," Maya admits.

"Me neither," Rio responds. "Hm, want to come on a walk with me? I can show you the garden," she then offers.

Maya's eyes widen and then she quickly nods.

"I'd love to," she responds.

"Good, come along then," Rio speaks, beginning to walk off. Maya follows her closely. 

Rio leads Maya outside the back doors of the palace. When the doors open, they reveal a beautiful, green, luscious garden filled with vibrant flowers. The area is like a hedge maze, filled with stone statues. 

The night is dark, but the flowers are bright.

"Woah..." Maya says in awe. Rio turns to Maya and smiles a little. 

"It's pretty, isn't it?" She asks her. "It always helps me calm my mind."

"I think you're prettier, your highness," Maya speaks rather boldly. 

"Thanks," Rio seems unaffected. Not even a smile.

Damn.

"Now come along, let's take in the beauty of nighttime together," Rio gestures Maya to follow her and she does.

Maya takes a moment to take the princess in. She is wearing a similar nightgown as before, but this one is pure white. She has noticed that the princess really has a sense of style, even

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter