eight.

star-crossed.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

As Maya makes her way back to Princess Rio's bedroom with her clean dresses later that same day, she feels nervous.

After what happened last night, Maya is not sure if she wants to face Rio again. That tragic backstory did not help either.

As she steps into Rio's bedroom and spots the princess sitting on her bed, her heart quickens. The memories of what happened on that bed last night have all come back to her. The thrill... the butterflies... oh, how she wants to feel it all again.

"Hello your highness," Maya greets Princess Rio with a quick bow. "I-I'm just here to fold your dresses and put them away for you," she informs her, showing her respect for the princess.

Princess Rio responds with a nod, not paying much attention to Maya as she her attention back to the book she is reading.

Maya momentarily wishes she could read. Her parents could never afford to get her any sort of education. Didn't help that in their mind, she didn't need to, either. Usually only children of elite families get to become educated.

"What book is that?" Maya asks as she begins to neatly fold Rio's dresses and put them away one by one.

"It's called Forbidden Heart," Rio answers, blankly reading the book. Not even daring to look up at Maya. "It's about a prince and princess from rival kingdoms that fell in love."

"So is that what you do in your free time? Read?" Maya questions as she continues to neatly fold.

"Not like I have much of a choice what I do," Rio sounds frustrated. "As a princess, my job is to just sit there and look pretty. When I'm not doing that, I'm stuck in this place most of the time. I need to occupy myself somehow."

"Is the book good, at least?" Maya asks hopefully. Rio's life sounds boring to her.

"Hmm.. yeah," Rio answers with a nod, still not bothering to look up at Maya. "So far, at least."

"That's good," Maya responds.

As Maya folds the dresses of the princess, she notes how fashionable the princess is. All of her dresses are gorgeous and neatly styled. Oh, how badly Maya wishes she could wear one of these dresses.

After a few minutes, Maya finally finishes and turns to start to make her away out. 

Until something, or rather someone, grasps onto her wrist and stops her in her tracks.

She whips her head around to spot Princess Rio with a tight grip on her wrist. She got up off of her bed to stop her from leaving. She even put the book down.

"Don't go yet," Rio suddenly speaks as Maya's heart begins to pound faster. "There's something I want to say to you."

Maya turns around to fully face the princess, trying her best not to turn blush pink but completely failing.

"...What is it?" Maya asks, gulping hard from anxiety.

"I just want to say," Rio begins, clearing . "You were amazing last night. You should drop by to sleep with me more often."

Maya feels like her heart is about to burst and the butterflies in her stomach are going crazy, but she nervously accepts.

"I'd love to," Maya responds, smiling rather shyly.

"Good," Rio smiles faintly. "Then, I'll see you around."

"I-I'll see you around, your highness," Maya begins to bow until something caught her eye that piqued her curiosi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter