nineteen.

star-crossed.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It is time for the trial.

And of course, Rio needs to be present.

Though she already admitted the truth to her father and even asked him if he could cover it up, she took up the role as Maya's defense. 

Her father didn't want her to, but she decided to anyways. She needs to make sure that her beloved Maya is not punished.

This trial will not be like a usual trial. Instead of a jury making the decision, it will be the king. This makes Rio feel like it is almost impossible to save Maya from the consequences of their actions since he already knows the truth. So, Rio's plan is to try to convince her father to let the case go and allow her to love who she loves. He wants her to be happy most of all, right?

Right before the trial, Ayaka, who just recovered from an illness, went to speak with her older sister.

"Stay strong, onee-chan," she had told her as she gave her a hug. "I believe in you. You can get out of this, I know for a fact."

Rio couldn't believe that herself. She wanted to. But, since her father already knows the truth, there's a very low chance Maya can avoid punishment. Royal maids, guards, or other workers having romantic or ual relations with royalty is strictly prohibited. Rio and Maya had both.

"You're the heir now, aren't you glad? It's what you've always wanted, right?" Though Ayaka had spoke to her with kindness and affection, Rio couldn't help but be bitter.

Ayaka grew up jealous of her older sister, moreso when they were children. She did not get how Rio got special treatment just because she was the heir. They grew out of that phase as they got older... and grew quite close with each other. Rio knows Ayaka's sympathy is genuine, but she also knows deep inside, part of Ayaka is happy she is now the heir.

"Now you get to deal with the scumbag Prince Mark," Rio grumbles. "Make father proud by letting Mark walk all over you, because clearly I couldn't. He won't love you, he just loves power and control. It's all he cares about."

Ayaka separated from their hug and frowned at her.

"Do you really think I'd let him do that?" Ayaka had questioned. "If he dares to take any of my own power, I'll put him in his place. This is my kingdom, not his."

Rio smiled at Ayaka, proud of her response. 

"Good," Rio reaches up and gently pats Ayaka's shoulder. "Make both me and father proud, but especially, make mother proud."

"I will... good luck," Ayaka responded, smiling fondly. "I'll be rooting for you and Maya."

"I hate to say this but..." Rio sighed. "This is goodbye. After the trial, I'll be leaving the kingdom. With or without Maya."

"What?" Ayaka was shocked. "You can't just leave... I'll never see you again!"

"I think it's what is best for me, and best for Maya if she makes it out of this," Rio explained to her. "All this kingdom has given me is a lot of trauma," she admitted, which Ayaka seems to understand because she has had a lot of it too.

"You can't just leave me and father, Rio," Ayaka tried to convince Rio to stay. "We'll miss you."

"Our father is a pushover," Rio shook her head. "He doesn't want to take risks anymore. Though we used to be close, ever since mother passed away he's only made me suffer," she explained to her. "You need to promise me you won't be like him, and that you'll change our kingdom for the better. Don't listen to a word Mark tells you."

"I promise," Ayaka's eyes started to tear up. "I will do everything that I can."

Rio felt pleased with Ayaka's response. 

"Then this truly is goodbye," Rio hugged Ayaka in a close embrace. "I love you so much. Make sure to tell my future nieces and nephews about their aunt Rio, okay?"

"I will, I promise," Ayaka assured Rio, with tears rolling down her cheeks. 

Rio regretted her decision for a moment then, but now she is so sure. She is going to leave her life as royalty behind, in search for a better life. If Maya taught her anything, it is that she deserves happiness and needs to follow her dreams. 

So, Rio shows up to the trial in a fully black dress. She is dressed in full black for the funeral of Princess Hanabashi Rio. After the trial, Rio will steal one of the guard's horses, either with or without Maya, and live in a distant civilization as Katsumura Rio. She will change her last name to Maya's to rid of any connection she has to the Hanabashi Kingdom, as it has only led to her suffering.

The courtroom is grand and fancy. It is decorated with shiny white and golden-brown marble walls and floors, which Rio knows must have cost a fortune. Despite living in the palace all of her life, she has never stepped foot into the courtroom before  

Just by the looks of everything, this is not going to be a normal trial. The king is seated at the front, acting as both a judge and the jury. There's a crowd of nobles seated in podiums below. 

Rio can feel her heart quicken its pace as

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter