two.

star-crossed.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Maya has her words in her mind, but she can't bring herself to speak them.

The princess is right in front of her. Asking her for her name. And gosh, she is very beautiful.

Mako notices how tense Maya is and discretely whispers into her ear. 

"Don't act intimidated. The princess judges people off the first time meeting them," Mako tells her. 

What? That completely goes against what Mako told her earlier!

But Maya gets her act together and quickly regains her composure.

Knowing that Maya is nervous, Mako makes eye contact with Rio and then decides to speak instead. 

"Maya, this is Princess Rio. As you know, she is the heir of this kingdom and you must listen to her well," Mako introduces Rio to Maya. "You will be at her service while you are here."

Maya suddenly bows, knowing that it is a way to greet royalty.

"I-It's a p-pleasure to meet you, y-your highness," Maya can barely get her words out, stuttering and stumbling over them in a nervous wreck. Mako suddenly gives Maya a gentle shove with her elbow, telling her to get her act together. 

Rio looks at her with a small smile.

"Great, I'll be looking forward to your service," Rio responds.

"Okay, so we'll be heading off now, there's still some more things I need to show Maya," Mako jumps into the conversation, gently tugging onto Maya's dress sleeve. "We'll see you later, your highness," Mako bows as well.

The air is awkward as Maya makes eye contact with Rio for one last time. The look on Rio's face was condescending. She looks at Maya as if she is a lesser human than she is, letting out a small chuckle at how pitiful the peasant was. 

Mako and Maya quickly left Rio's bedroom, the door shutting behind them. 

"Don't worry too much," Mako speaks up as she goes back to leading the way. "I was really nervous when I first started too. You'll get used to interacting with her in no time."

"Okay," Maya responds rather simply. She doesn't want Mako to know how she truly felt seeing Princess Rio. Her mind is in a bit of a daze. How is this princess so intoxicating to Maya? And why does she want to look at her more?

"Now I'm going to show you where you will be staying," Mako informs Maya as the younger follows her closely.

Mako leads her to a nearby door. She opens it, revealing a luxurious bedroom. It has a rather large bed, fancy decorations, and what looks like to be a very large storage cupboard filled with maid clothing.

Maya gasps in awe as she looks around. She had no idea that living as a royal maid would be this luxurious!

"I know. It's really nice," Mako speaks as she smiles at Maya. "They treat the maids very well here. I was just as shocked as you were. I really thought they'd have me sleeping with the horses or something," she laughs a little, keeping her gaze on Maya. "I know its a huge change but I know you'll end up liking your time here."

"I'm living the luxury life now," Maya laughs as well, sitting down on the bed before laying back onto it. It is so soft and comfortable. How is she supposed to get up early in the morning and work if her bed is this comfortable?

Maya then menally reminds herself that this is only temporary. She will be only here for a long enough time to provide enough money for her family. Then it would be back to the pauper life for her.

"Don't get too comfortable," Mako laughs, amused by Maya. "We need to go bring the princess her breakfast."

"Oh, right," Maya laughs again, getting up from the bed. "I was just taking in the moment."

"You can take it in as much as you want later. But you're here because you have a job to do... and that job is pleasing Princess Rio," Mako reminds her, seeming a bit strict.

Maya nods in understanding and they head over to the kitchen together, to grab whatever the royal chefs decided they could make this morning. 

Maya, who is used to having one meal a day if she is lucky, is now going to have three meals a day routinely. She is grateful knowing that she will never have to go to bed hungry again while she

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter