five.

star-crossed.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I really do have feelings for the princess.

Every time I see her, I get butterflies.

Maya just had the rather horrible realization. And yet, there's nothing she can do about it.

But she knows Rio would never want to be with her. For one, she's a female pauper, that's a double wrong for princess love interests. Two, Maya doesn't even think Rio would want to be with someone like her. She's so awkward and even talked back to her the other night. There is no way.

What Mako had told her stuck with her, though. That Rio took a liking for her because she's special. But what exactly makes someone like her special?

It is the next morning now and Maya is the one assigned to bring Princess Rio her breakfast, while Mako will be supervising her.

Maya feels nervous as she carries the hot tea glass in her hands, worried she might drop it.

She feels a bit of panic as the teacup shakes a bit, but thankfully none of it spills out. 

"Slow down, Maya," Mako speaks up as they walk together. "Don't be so antsy or you're going to spill the tea all over yourself."

Maya nods, keeping her eyes on the teacup and slowing her pace so she doesn't spill.

She makes her way into Rio's bedroom, carefully carrying the hot tea, followed closely by Mako.

Despite Mako's warning, Maya is so stunned once she sees Rio wearing a beautiful lavender-colored dress.

Out of all colors, why that one? And she looks amazing too! I'm about to lose my mind over this woman. And her lips... look so kissable...

She loses her control of the cup of hot tea and spills it all over herself and her maid outfit.

Mako, who was simply watching, responds with a facepalm. She had a feeling this would happen.

Meanwhile, Rio has a different reaction.

"Hey, you need to be more careful with my tea!" She scolds Maya, who looks over at her with wide eyes. "It's very hot! You could burn yourself!"

Like you. You're so hot I feel like I could burn at your touch.

Maya is stunned as she listens to the princess speak, too stunned for her to quickly realizing that the tea she just spilled on herself was in fact piping hot. She suddenly winces.

"Go wash yourself off and get a change of clothes," The princess orders Maya. "And Mako, clean up the mess on the floor and get me a new cup of tea."

"On it, your highness," Mako bows, giving Maya a quick glare as the latter makes her way out of the bedroom.

Maya couldn't feel more embarrassed as she walked down the hall. Her emotions have overwhelmed her. Why did she have to do that in front of the princess?!

Instead of going to the well to get some water to wash herself off with, she immediately heads to her bedroom instead, a few tears starting to stream down her face.

Once she enters her bedroom and shuts the door behind her, she plops down on her bed and continues to cry.

She cannot believe she messed up in front of Princess Rio again. She feels so much embarrassment. No way she's going to like her anymore after that!

I want to go home. I don't like it here. Maya thinks as she starts to miss her parents. 

But she has to stay. For herself and her family. She cannot quit now.

Maya uses all of her energy to force herself to get back up. She wipes her tears off with her sleeve and then goes into the closet to find her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter