fourteen.

star-crossed.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Two mornings later, Rio and Maya wake up in bed next to each other, each other's faces being the first thing both of them see. 

It's clear it is hard for them both to stay separate.

"Maya, dear," Rio speaks up first, still holding her girlfriend in her arms.

"Hm?" Maya responds, still half asleep. She rubs one of her eyes.

"There's... something I want to tell you," Rio seems nervous, gulping hard.

"What is it, love?" Maya asks. She picks up on the fact that Rio is nervous and it makes her nervous too. What exactly is Rio about to tell her?

"My father has made an arrangement with the Myoui Kingdom," Rio begins to speak, sighing. "I will have to marry one of their princes to unite the enemy kingdoms and end the war," she reveals, unable to look at Maya in the eyes.

Maya couldn't believe what she was hearing. She doesn't want to believe it. 

Maya knew this would happen eventually, but definitely not this soon.

"This soon?" Maya whines, rubbing both of her eyes. "You're only twenty-two."

"I'll turn twenty-three in two months," Rio shares. "By the time my father was twenty-three, he was already married to my mother, I was already born, and my sister was on the way. He has been so antsy trying to get me to get married, especially after..." Rio pauses, looking to Maya, who is still in denial.

"It's okay to say it, I already know," Maya assures her, but she still cannot believe it. No, it cannot be happening. 

"After my mother was killed," Rio sighs, the mention of the event seeming to pain her. "There has been even more pressure from nobles and other higher-ups for me to get married. They even said that if I'm not married by the time I turn twenty-five, then... they will no longer consider me royalty."

"And your father would just let that happen?" Maya questions, not understanding. "He is the king, after all."

"Ever since what happened, my father has felt the need to constantly prove himself to everybody. A lot of people saw him as less of a king after he lied to everyone by saying that my mother was a princess of another kingdom, a kingdom that never existed," Rio tries to explain to her. "We've all had a lot of pressure lately."

"I see..." Maya mumbles. "So he feels like he has no choice but to listen to those people?"

"Exactly," Rio sighs. "They did tell him to ditch Ayaka and I and remarry to have new heirs, but he didn't listen so... I don't know."

They are silent for a few seconds, until it starts to sink in for Maya. Her eyes start to tear up and Rio is quick notice, tightening her hold around Maya.

"I-I don't want you to get married..." Maya is brought to tears.

"I don't want to get married," Rio sighs heavily, gently rubbing Maya's back as she tries to calm her. "But I have to. It is my duty. So many lives would be saved if I go along with this peace agreement."

"I know but..." Maya sighs, grasping onto

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter