four.

star-crossed.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The first thing Maya thinks of when she wakes up the next morning is to check up on Rio. She needs to see if she needs anything.

As she makes her way through the halls, she notices the time on the large clock.

It is 8:30. She had slept in too late.

Maya is immediately hit with horrible guilt. It is still her first day, but she was supposed to wake up much earlier. Why didn't Mako or somebody come and wake her up?

She needs to check in with Rio. Immediately.

And so, Maya quickens her pace as she heads to Rio's bedroom.

When she opens the door to Rio's bedroom, she quickly realizes that in her panic, she completely forgot to knock.

It seems she caught Rio by surprise. As soon as she breaks in, she finds Rio sitting on her bed with paper and a pen in hand. The princess quickly grew flustered, quickly hiding the paper and pen in the drawer of her nightstand. 

Maya decides it would be a bad idea to question it. 

"Your highness, I'm so sorry I'm late. I accidentally slept in," Maya admits to the princess, bowing. "How are you doing?"

"I'm fine, thanks," Rio responds, looking a bit disappointed with her. "Were you able to get some sleep?"

"Yeah. Too much it seems," Maya laughs awkwardly.

"You were up late and it was your first night here. I'm not surprised, just disappointed," Rio shrugs, keeping her gaze on Maya. "It is common for new maids to accidentally sleep in their first morning on the job," she shares. "Though, when I first saw you, I thought you would be different from the rest. But you are not. You're just like all of the other peasant maids."

That hurt.

"Once again, I do apologize," Maya bows again. "I will try to make it up to you today." 

"By doing what, exactly?" Rio asks. It takes Maya off guard, but Rio's voice changed. It seems to have suggestive undertones. What does she mean by this question?

"W-Working the hardest I can... I guess?" Maya gulps nervously, breaking eye contact with the princess.

"That's a horrible answer. You should be working the hardest you can every day," Rio once again gives her a disappointed look.

"Well then... how may I be at your service?" Maya asked, bowing again.

"Knocking before coming in my bedroom would be nice," Rio seems upset with her, crossing her arms. "Otherwise, I do not need you at the moment. Mako was kind enough to take care of everything. Though, if I come up with something extra you can do to make up for what you missed today, I'll let you know."

"Okay... thank you," Maya bows once again before beginning to turn around. 

"Oh, and," Rio suddenly speaks up, catching Maya's attention. "I know I'm the princess, but there is no need to bow so much. Just once or twice was fine."

"Oh okay, I will keep that in mind, your highness," Maya nods her head before leaving the room.

Maya couldn't help but feel anxious as she made her way out into the hall. She is so embarrassed. She just wants to curl in a ball and hide until tomorrow.

But she knows she can't do that. Now, she just wants to find Mako and see if she has anything for her to do.

It doesn't take long for her to find Mako. She was in one of the living rooms, sweeping the floor. 

"Mako," Maya spoke, trying to gain her attention.

The older woman stops sweeping, turning her head over toward Maya. 

"Oh, hello Maya," she greets her with a small smile. "I guess you s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter