Chapter 9

The Ultimate Weapon

Gunil and Jooyeon made their way back to Gunil's house sometime later, Gunil knocking on the door. Soobin was the one to answer the door, moving to let them both in before closing the door behind them and locking it. He then turned to Gunil and Jooyeon, observing the way they seemed to be silently communicating with each other.

"Where's Taehyun?" Asked Gunil as he turned to Soobin who jumped in surprise at the question. "He had to go back to his apartment for something," mumbled Soobin as he looked down at the ground. "This late at night?" Asked Gunil as he looked confused.

"He um," stuttered Soobin as he tried to think of an explanation. "I'm not kicking you out kid," said Gunil as he realized what was going on. "You aren't?" Asked Soobin as he looked hopeful. "Get some sleep alright? Text Taehyun and tell him that he can come back in the morning," said Gunil as he nodded, handing his phone to Soobin so he could let Taehyun know.

Soobin nodded, going to let Taehyun know he could come back in the morning before going to flop down on the couch after giving Gunil back his phone, getting comfortable before falling asleep. Gunil went to cover Soobin with the blanket, taking a look around his small house with a fond look in his eyes.

"It looks like the house is finally looking lived in," Jooyeon commented as he fought to keep a smile off his face. "It's nice," hummed Gunil as he turned to Jooyeon.

"I think you'll finally need to get a proper bed for them," commented Jooyeon. "I don't know where we're going to put it, but I agree," hummed Gunil as he thought of where to put said bed. "Let's worry about that in the morning," he said, going to sit down on the loveseat.

"You zone out, I'm going to go back to Moscow then," said Jooyeon as he turned to Gunil. "Just lock the door behind you," said Gunil as he turned to Jooyeon. Jooyeon nodded and soon left, closing the door behind him after making sure it would be locked. Gunil got up, going to properly lock the door before going back to the loveseat and laying down, closing his eyes and zoning out, ignoring the world around him until the morning.

 

~



Soobin lay on the ground trying to block his stomach from the kicks he was receiving from the bullies of his school. He had been just trying to get to class and they had to target him. Yeonjun wouldn't be here to protect him this time, as he was in his last year of middle school while Yeonjun had started high school.

A harsh blow to his back caused Soobin to let out a whimper that only encouraged his bullies to kick him harder, one person even going as far as kicking him in the face, causing him to roll onto his back. He looked up at Beomgyu who smirked down at him.

"Give up kid," said Beomgyu. "Your brother isn't here to save you now," he said. "I'm older than you brat," spat Soobin as Beomgyu delivered a harsh kick to his side, earning another whimper from Soobin as he tried to move away from the kicking.

"Oi!" Came a voice somewhere nearby. "Leave the poor guy alone will ya?!" shouted Taehyun as he ran over, shoving Beomgyu away from Soobin. "Why are you bullying him anyway huh?!" Shouted Taehyun.

"What's it to you kid?" asked Beomgyu. "I see someone who has to depend on other people to survive in this hell hole," he spat. "I see nothing wrong with that," growled Taehyun as he delivered a punch to Beomgyu, sending Beomgyu to the ground.

"People like you don't deserve my respect," spat Taehyun as he went to help Soobin stand, slinging an arm around his shoulder and helping him walk away.

"Y-You didn't need to do that," wheezed Soobin as Taehyun helped him sit down on a bench. "It's okay," said Taehyun as he turned to Soobin after digging through his backpack for some bandages. "He bullied me too, before I stood up to him," he muttered, going to see what he could do to bandage up some of the cuts and scrapes Soobin got from being on the ground.

 

~



Soobin opened his eyes, sitting up as he suddenly remembered where he was. For a brief moment he wondered where Gunil had slept the night before before he turned to loveseat, expecting Taehyun there only to see Gunil who, from what he could see, was fast asleep.

He got up, going into the bathroom to get ready for the day before leaving the bathroom and going to see what he could do for breakfast.

Gunil opened his eyes to the sounds of breakfast being made, zoning back in as he sat up. He yawned, pretending to have just woken up as he got up, stretching. "Morning," Soobin called from the kitchen area as he heard Gunil moving around. "Good morning," said Gunil as he went to the bathroom to get ready for the day, coming out after getting dressed in a sweatshirt and jeans.

"Was there a text from Taehyun?" Asked Soobin as he turned to Gunil as he walked over to the kitchen area to grab his phone from the counter. "I think so," hummed Gunil as he checked his phone. "He'll be over after grabbing breakfast, he's bringing more clothes and his bike with the wagon," he said, showing Soobin the response. "Ah, nice," hummed Soobin as he turned back to the stove.

 

~



Gunil left his house, putting his hands in his pants pockets as he looked at the state of his front yard. Soobin had to attend some online classes for school so Gunil left him be, promising not to be too long as he left the house.

After walking around to the tiny backyard Gunil sprinted off into the forest to hunt, finally finding some time to hunt alone and be in his thoughts. He wasn't feeling the burning as bad this time around, but it was better to top off on his thirst than to remain in that house where the smell of humans was starting to stick to everything.

The beast was content, something that Gunil hadn't felt in what felt like years. Maybe it was a good thing that he gained two humans under his care. They would never understand his life though, and he hoped this was as close to being part of an often forbidden world as possible for them. He didn't want to involve them more than he had to, but knew someone was going to be involved.

Someone had to take his place one day right?