Epilogue

The Ultimate Weapon

Hey Kai,

I know you probably won't read this unless you feel really sad but I'm here. I'm still living. I still haven't came around yet huh?

I told you not to wait for me. I have friends watching over you okay? You'll be okay. I know it.

You've probably grown into a big boy now? I'm sorry I missed it. I'm probably too busy to come see you, but I swear, I will be home soon okay?

-Gyu

 

~



Kai read the letter again, sniffling as he stared at it. "G-Gyu," he mumbled, wiping his tears. "I k-know you said not to wait but I miss you Gyu," he whimpered, folding the letter and putting it back in the envelope, putting it in the drawer by his desk.

"Kai," called Yeonjun as he knocked on the door to his room. Kai quickly wiped his tears, turning to the door as it opened. "Y-Yes?" Asked Kai as he looked up at Yeonjun. "Ready to go to the fort? I need to do some work on it and you can help if you want," explained Yeonjun.

"Can we roast marshmallows after?" Asked Kai as he looked hopeful. "Sure, and we'll have dinner too," responded Yeonjun as he smiled softly. "Yeah!" Shouted Kai as he got up, running out the door to his room. "Careful Kai!" Yeonjun called, going to get Kai's camping gear before leaving the room.

Junhan met them outside, smiling softly at Kai before nodding to Yeonjun who shook his head at the excited puppy persona Kai had adopted when he was excited.

Kai ran to the fort in excitement, his caretaker waving in goodbye while Yeonjun dragged the cooler behind him and Junhan followed after Kai to make sure he didn't get into trouble.

 

~



"Any news from my brother?" Asked Yeonjun as he and Junhan worked on replacing the old tarp that was now falling apart. "And Gyu!" Exclaimed Kai as he walked over with some sticks for the fire pit. "I got a letter recently," hummed Junhan. "Beomgyu is fine," he assured Kai who nodded before running off to get more sticks for the fire pit.

"You have a letter addressed to you, actually," remarked Junhan as he grabbed it from his pack and handed it over to Yeonjun who put it in his pants pocket to read later. "I'll read it before bed," stated Yeonjun, going to throw the new tarp onto the roof and tie it down with Junhan helping. Junhan nodded, letting out a soft sigh as he tightened the paracord holding the tarp to the roof.

"You miss them too?" Asked Yeonjun. "I miss the others to be honest with you," Junhan hummed, honestly. "Have you spoken to Jiseok at all?" Asked Yeonjun.

"He's asked how you were," Junhan answered with a shake of his head. "Nothing more though," he added. "I guess I am nothing more than a soldier to him," hummed Yeonjun. "If only you knew," grumbled Junhan.

 

~



After dinner it had started to rain, so Kai and Yeonjun went into the fort to relax a bit and watch cartoons on Yeonjun's laptop. Well, it had been Soobin's old laptop but Yeonjun started using it after Soobin had gotten a new one. Yeonjun just repurposed it into a light movie watching and gaming machine, upgrading it to the max of what it could be anyway.

In the middle of their movie marathon Kai had fallen asleep in his sleeping bag, lightly snoring as he covered his eyes with his arm. Yeonjun turned and zipped up the sleeping bag, patting Kai on the head before pausing the movie and going to turn off the laptop when he remembered the letter. He took it out of his pocket, sitting up and leaning against the wall of the fort as he opened the envelope and unfolded it, using the laptop's bright screen to read it.

 

~



Jun,

Hey bro, didn't think you'd hear from me huh?

I'm here, alive and well. Taehyun and Beomgyu are treating me well I promise.

I finished school finally, since I don't have to worry about the military with being a citizen of a different country anyway. I know, you'd hate me for defecting to another country or something but I had no choice.

Luckily everyone else says you're safe. I hope so.

I forgive you, for what you did to protect me.

You knew dad was coming home soon, so you kicked me out right? I was stupid to come back but Taehyun INSISTED that I told mom that I was alive and well.


That earned a shocked laugh from Yeonjun, sighing at something only Taehyun would do. "Only Taehyun, huh?" He asked, shaking his head as he continued reading.

Anyway.

I'm fine, I promise. I won't tell you where I am now but just be wary of the government okay?

Junhan is there to protect you and Kai. You're my only family member left, and Beomgyu continues to blame himself for his actions for Kai so he tries to make it up to Kai by doing this. I don't blame him, but when you see him again smack him over the head for me yeah?

When you get this letter there may be a surprise for you. Maybe you're camping with Kai at the fort while Junhan keeps watch. Maybe it's night time and Kai is fast asleep beside you in a sleeping bag.

I don't know. I'm predicting things but.

Look up


That last line caused Yeonjun to look up, blinking when there was a knock on the door to the fort. It was only Junhan who peeked his head in wondering why it had gone quiet. "Oh, you're finally reading the letter, okay," hummed Junhan as he nodded, closing the door behind him as he moved away from it.

Yeonjun huffed, sighing as he looked back at the letter, turning the page when it continued on the other side.

Hah, scared you right? It was probably Junhan or someone. Anyway.

Tell Kai Gyu says hi.

He swears he will visit soon.

So will I, maybe?

Your brother,

Soobin


Yeonjun looked at the bottom of the page, seeing a picture of Beomgyu, Taehyun and Soobin grinning at the camera with Soobin being carried on Taehyun's back as Beomgyu had been the one to take the picture. He noticed how much more happy the three of them were, and it caused Yeonjun to smile in relief. As long as Soobin was happy, Yeonjun was okay.

Yeonjun picked up the picture, getting up and lightly tacking it into the wall with a nail next to dozens of other pictures he had saved from the other letters before going back to the platform and folding the letter, putting it on his laptop keyboard before closing the lid, getting into his sleeping bag and falling asleep to the sounds of rain.

 

~



The next morning Yeonjun poked at the fire pit, looking for at least one ember before giving up with a grumble and going to get the firewood, quickly starting a fire and going to make sure the pan was clean before starting on breakfast, humming to himself.

Junhan walked over after spending the night hunting and keeping an eye on their surroundings, flopping down in one of the chairs after shaking it dry from the puddle that was in the middle of it.

"How was the rain last night?" Asked Yeonjun as he focused on making scrambled eggs and bacon. "Fine," hummed Junhan. "Nothing went on either, it's been quiet," he added. "Can you keep an eye on the food while I go see if Kai's awake yet?" Asked Yeonjun. "Sure," said Junhan as he got up, switching places with Yeonjun and taking over the cooking while Yeonjun went to wake up Kai.

After getting Kai up and dressed they walked back over to get breakfast, Yeonjun sitting Kai down in the chair that Junhan had abandoned. "Did you add a new picture?" Asked Kai as Yeonjun went back to making breakfast. "I did," hummed Yeonjun. "Did you see how happy they were?" He asked. "Yeah!" Kai answered excitedly.

"Did Gyu say anything?" Asked Kai. "He said hello," Yeonjun responded as he nodded. "Is he coming soon?" Asked Kai as he looked hopeful. "He swears he will," hummed Yeonjun as he moved the eggs and bacon into plates, handing a plate to Kai before going to sit down after wiping down another chair.

"Soon, always soon," mumbled Kai as he looked down at his plate. "Hey, I miss them too you know?" Asked Yeonjun as he turned to Kai. "It's okay," he added. "They will visit, I don't know when but I have a feeling that it will be soon," he explained. "I-I know, I just- I just miss them," stuttered Kai as he sighed.

 

~



Long into the night, when the fort was empty and everyone had long gone home a figure appeared out of the shadows of the forest, a shadow of a large wolf beside them.

"We made it home, huh?" Asked the figure as they walked over to the fort, opening the door and looking inside to see all the pictures. The figure smiled at the pictures, reaching into their pocket and taking out a letter, finding the box of nails under the platform and the small piece of wood that acted like a hammer. They tacked the letter next to the most recent picture before putting the box of nails and the piece of wood back into its place, leaving the fort and closing the door before making sure to hold it closed with the latch that had been installed some time ago.

"Come on then," the figure said to their wolf companion, turning into the moonlight and revealing who it was before they sprinted into the forest with the wolf following after them.

 

~



A lone figure stood over the sleeping figure of Kai, smiling softly at how peaceful he looked. They took out a small stuffed wolf from the pack they were carrying and gently placed it into Kai's arms along with a letter attached.

"Gyu," Kai mumbled in his sleep, clutching at the stuffed animal before turning around in his sleep. The figure patted Kai on the head before turning and leaving without a sound, going to meet up with their companions.