Chapter 7

The Ultimate Weapon

"So what happened for you to come out this way?" Asked Kevin as they played a few games of chess on the back deck of Kevin's house. "I can't come visit the neighbors?" Asked Gunil as he tilted his head to the side, making a move to throw off Kevin. Kevin grumbled as he looked at the board, making a move. Gunil quickly made another move, smirking as Kevin scowled at the board.

"You've never come out this way unless you had a reason to," said Kevin as he made a move, something that Gunil immediately countered, taking pieces until he reached a checkmate. "I know I'm the weapon of the Russian military but my priorities lie elsewhere," hummed Gunil as Kevin sighed, resetting the board.

"Who is in trouble now?" Asked Kevin as he made the first move. "We all know this isn't a casual visit Gunil," he muttered as Gunil made a move.

"Fine," said Gunil as he took out his phone from his pants pocket, tapping the screen a few times before bringing up the email he had been sent before handing it to Kevin who took it and read the contents.

"What did Joochan do this time?" Asked Kevin, wary of where this was going. "The government has no use for him anymore," Gunil said with a serious tone, watching as Kevin took a turn before handing him back his phone. "I knew that he was still working for the government," growled Kevin as Gunil made a move.

"Everyone has ties to the government," Gunil said, shaking his head as he countered Kevin. "Even your two coyotes," he added as Kevin countered him.

"What, are they all going to die at some point?" Asked Kevin as Gunil made a completely different move, causing Kevin to growl in frustration. "Remember that Joochan is the kill switch," said Gunil as Kevin made another move.

"Which means once Joochan is killed, everyone is," hummed Kevin as he blinked in surprise. "Congrats captain obvious," Gunil said with sarcasm as he countered Kevin.

"Eric isn't going to like that," said Kevin. "Eric has no choice," Gunil said as Kevin countered him, taking pieces from his side.

"He's going to fight you, you know," said Kevin as Gunil countered him. "I know," said Gunil as Kevin countered again, taking more pieces.

"Besides," said Gunil as he countered, winning the game after Kevin realized his mistake. "Joochan's kill switch is off," he added. "What, really?" Asked Kevin as he sighed in exasperation, resetting the board. "Everyone else is fine, Joochan is the only one to die this time," said Gunil as he got up, stretching. "Let Eric know I'm heading over yeah?" He asked. "Sure," hummed Kevin as Gunil ran off.

 

~



Soobin huffed out a sigh as he looked at his parents house. Taehyun had pestered him until he finally gave in and decided to go home, just to tell his mother that he wasn't dead. He was an adult for god's sake. He didn't need to do any of that sort. He grumbled as he walked up to the front door, knocking loudly before stepping back, waiting on an answer.

When the door opened Soobin looked surprised, his eyes widening at who answered the door.

 

~



Taehyun visited his apartment to check on his plants, looking around at the place he called his home since his parents moved to the city to work. He moved around the small apartment before flopping down on the bed with a sigh, curling up into a ball as he clutched at the sheets, mumbling something incoherent before he fell asleep, putting an arm under his head to use as a pillow.
 

~



Soobin rushed down the road with bruises and a busted lip, stumbling as he tripped over nothing and falling onto his stomach, his face mere centimeters away from hitting the concrete and scraping up his already bruised face. He winced as he got to his feet, clutching at his ribs as he steadied himself, coughing slightly as he limped further away from the hell that was his house now that his father had returned. He had been right to never return, if only Taehyun hadn't convinced him...

Soobin pretty much collided with something, or someone, as he was trying to see if he was being followed, falling onto his with a small groan. "You alright kid?" Asked the stranger in front of him as Soobin looked up at them.

"W-Who are you?" Soobin rasped out as he struggled to get to his feet. "The name's Jooyeon kid," said Jooyeon as he reached out an arm and let Soobin take it, helping him stand. "What's your name?" He asked. "S-Soobin," Soobin coughed, clutching at his ribs as it hurt to speak.

"You're the kid taking care of Gunil's place right?" Asked Jooyeon. Soobin nodded, wincing as a headache started forming, reminding him of how bruised his face probably looked. "Come on," said Jooyeon as he went to pick up Soobin, carrying him bridal style and ignoring his protests. "Let's get you back there and get you patched up," he said, walking back to Gunil's place.

"You got the key kid?" Asked Jooyeon as they reached Gunil's house. "T-Taehyun," mumbled Soobin, coughing as he covered his mouth with his free hand. "P-Phone, front p-pocket," he coughed. Jooyeon gently put Soobin down, letting him lean against the wall next to the door as Jooyeon searched for the phone.

"Screen's shattered kid," said Jooyeon as he brought out the phone. "D-Damn," spat Soobin, coughing again as he slid to the floor with a whimper. "Do you remember his number?" Asked Jooyeon as he brought out his phone. Soobin nodded, and Jooyeon handed him the phone, letting him dial Taehyun's number before taking the phone back to talk to Taehyun.

 

~



Taehyun rushed out of his apartment after grabbing his first aid kit, running back as soon as he heard the news of Soobin being injured. He regretted sending Soobin back to his parents house. He just had a feeling it wouldn't end well. "Damn it, just damn it!" He shouted into the sky as he rushed back.

Taehyun reached Gunil's place, spotting Soobin and who he assumed was the person he spoke to on the phone standing next to the door. He quickly grabbed the key from the lanyard around his neck and went to open the door, holding it open so Jooyeon could pick up Soobin and bring him inside. Jooyeon put Soobin on the floor, as it seemed like the best spot at the moment and Taehyun quickly got to work stripping off Soobin's bloody clothes.

"Can you get me a wet cloth to wipe him down with?" Asked Taehyun as he looked up at Jooyeon. Jooyeon nodded, going to do so before coming back with it and handing it to Taehyun who went to wipe him down. "Do you mind keeping an eye on the area outside?" Asked Taehyun as he turned to Jooyeon. "There's a chance whoever did this may come looking for him," he added. Jooyeon tilted his head to the side before he nodded and went to do so, going outside to lean against the wall by the door. Taehyun went to lock the door just in case before going back to taking care of Soobin.

 

~



Gunil stood before Joochan who glared at him. Eric and Sunwoo knew better than to interfere with this fight, so they were staying out of it.

"That's it huh?" Asked Joochan as Gunil shrugged off his jacket and shirt, revealing the many scars across the front of his body. "It is," hummed Gunil as he took off his shoes and pants, closing his eyes and letting the beast come forward, Joochan quickly moving back as the change was quick. Joochan quickly changed as the beast lunged at him, snarling as they went toe to toe with each other.

Joochan's chip may have enhanced his abilities, but the beast was better trained for combat and had the upper hand when it came to strength and speed alone. Snarling and sounds of bodies clashing against each other were heard as the beast and Joochan fought to the death. They grappled with each other, the beast biting down on Joochan's shoulder and yanking its head back, ripping out the shoulder bone and the chip in the shoulder. Joochan roared in pain, going for one last massive attack as he rammed into the beast with his uninjured shoulder.

The beast grabbed at Joochan, stopping the attack and punching Joochan in the spine, pretty much breaking it and causing Joochan to fall to the ground, returning to his human form.

"Don't kill the others," growled Joochan as he lay there, accepting his defeat. "They don't deserve any of it," he spat. The beast snarled, grabbing Joochan by the head and twisting it, breaking his neck. The beast let out a victory howl before crouching to all fours and running back into the forest surrounding Eric's property.

Eric and Sunwoo sighed, Eric going to grab Gunil's phone from his pants pocket and taking a picture of Joochan's dead body before going to pick up his discarded clothes. "Prepare a bonfire," said Eric as he turned to Sunwoo who nodded. "I'll go find Gunil," he added before going into the forest.

 

~



Taehyun sighed in relief, seeing that Soobin seemed to be okay for the time being as Soobin had passed out after they got him inside. He went to get Jooyeon to help him get some clothes onto Soobin before getting him comfortable on the couch and covering him with a blanket.

"What happened?" Asked Jooyeon as Taehyun collapsed onto the loveseat, looking worse for wear as he looked everywhere but at Soobin.

"I pestered him," said Taehyun as a small sob escaped him. "I told him to at least go let his mother know he was still alive but-," he paused as another sob escaped him. "I-I didn't account for the fact that his father had apparently returned," he said, sobbing now as he grabbed his pillow and clutched it to his chest.

"Kid," Jooyeon said gently as he walked over after making sure the door was locked and sat down beside Taehyun. "You didn't know this would happen," he said. "It's not your fault, okay?" He asked. "I'm supposed to protect him," Taehyun sobbed, clutching at his pillow as he buried his face into the pillow. Jooyeon reached over and brought Taehyun into his arms, letting Taehyun sob into his chest as he rubbed his arm soothingly.

"It's okay... It's okay," said Jooyeon.