Chapter 13

The Ultimate Weapon

Taehyun was awake when Gunil entered his room, staring up at the ceiling as he tried not to move too much.

"Hey kid," greeted Gunil as he walked over to Taehyun's bed, trying his best to smile at Taehyun. "How are you feeling?" He asked. "I'm in pain," grumbled Taehyun as he moved his eyes to look at Gunil. "But I guess that's expected huh?" He asked.

A small chuckle left Gunil as he sighed, nodding. "I guess so," he hummed, bringing up a chair to sit next to Taehyun and sitting down.

"It's not going to stop is it?" Asked Taehyun. "Not until you do something?" He asked. "Smart kid," remarked Gunil as he nodded. "Yeah, it's not going to stop until I do something," he answered, sighing as he looked down at his hands which sat in his lap.

"Well," said Taehyun as he looked back up at the ceiling. "What can I do to help?" He asked. "I'm about to ask you a
 very important question," answered Gunil as he looked back at Taehyun. "You have the choice to not go along with this, but if you say no I have to kill you," he added, earning a scoff from Taehyun. "That bad huh?" Asked Taehyun. "...Well, ask away," he added after a few minutes of silence.

"How much do you
 really care for Soobin?" Asked Gunil. "What kind of question is that?" Asked Taehyun as he turned to look at Gunil, wincing as it caused him a bit of pain. "Answer the question," Gunil said with a serious tone as he glared at Taehyun, causing Taehyun to flinch away, mumbling to himself.

"What was that?" Asked Gunil. "Enough to die for him," answered Taehyun. "Good answer," said Gunil. "Because I need to explain to you about this world I'm about to throw you into," he added. "Wha-" started Taehyun as Gunil grabbed his wrist and bit into it, soon moving away after the wound closed and resting his arm on the bed as Taehyun flinched. Gunil wiped his mouth, swallowing what blood did end up in his mouth before letting out a resigned sigh.

"Don't fight it," commanded Gunil. "You'll be fine in a couple hours, just sleep," he hummed, watching as Taehyun shut his eyes as the change started. Gunil watched Taehyun for a minute before getting up and walking out of the room, closing the door behind him and spotting Beomgyu in the corridor.

"I was about to ask if you needed to go hunting," Gunil said as Beomgyu walked over. "I haven't hunted since I left the platoon so yeah," hummed Beomgyu.

That was the last thing Taehyun heard before he fell into unconsciousness, the change fully starting and leaving him in a comatose state.

 

~



Soobin looked up when the door opened, Beomgyu and Gunil walking in with Beomgyu carrying a bag of drinks. "Ah, Kai fell asleep earlier," he said when Beomgyu looked at his brother's bed to see him asleep. "Okay," said Beomgyu as he relaxed his shoulders, putting the bag on the nearby table.

"We need to talk," Gunil said, a serious look on his face as he turned to Soobin. Soobin looked up at him in surprise, confusion washing over him.

"Is there a spot you know that we won't be bothered at?" Asked Gunil. "Ah, Taehyun and I's fort," hummed Soobin. "Though I don't know if it's still there," he hummed. "That one place by the river?" Asked Beomgyu. "Yeah, I didn't know you knew of it?" Asked Soobin as he turned to Beomgyu.

"I ran into it while hiking back during our school days," lied Beomgyu. "I haven't been back there in a while but I have a general idea of where it's at," he said.

"A fort?" Asked Gunil. "It's a shelter that Taehyun and I built, we've maintained it over the years but yeah," answered Soobin. "It's our hangout spot," he added.

"Do you mind if we go there?" Asked Gunil. "I- sure but what about Taehyun?" Asked Soobin. "Jiseok is here," said Gunil. "I'll make sure he's keeping an eye on Taehyun," he added.

"Am I about to be carried on someone's back again?" Asked Soobin as he huffed in exasperation. "It'll get us there quicker," said Gunil as he shrugged. "Fine," mumbled Soobin. "But Beomgyu is carrying me this time," he added, earning an amused snort from Gunil as Beomgyu fought to keep the look of amusement off his face.

 

~



After making sure Jiseok was there to keep an eye on Kai and Taehyun, Gunil, Beomgyu and Soobin left the hospital, Beomgyu leaning down to let Soobin hop onto his back. Once Soobin was comfortable and Beomgyu wouldn't drop him Gunil and Beomgyu ran off, heading into the nearby forest. Soobin couldn't help the surprised shout again, though he closed his eyes much quicker this time to avoid getting sick as he held on for dear life.

Soobin only opened his eyes when he felt Beomgyu stop, sliding off Beomgyu's back and falling onto his with a huff. "I should've expected for you to be like him," he grumbled as Beomgyu let out a chuckle before he turned around and reached out a hand. Soobin took it, letting Beomgyu pull him to his feet.

"Huh, I remember finding this place," hummed Gunil as he looked around. "I first came across it when I was coming back into town," he added. "It's a nice little spot," said Soobin as he went to open the door, walking inside before coming out with two chairs and sitting them down before going back in for another chair and coming back with it, putting it down and sitting down, leaning against the log wall of the shelter. Beomgyu and Gunil sat down, waiting until Soobin was comfortable before Gunil decided to speak.

"What questions did you have for us?" Asked Gunil as he tilted his head to the side. "What are you for starters?" Asked Soobin. "Well, to put it simply, Beomgyu and I are vampires," answered Gunil.

"But you're not just a vampire," Soobin said to Gunil. "Correct, I'm a hybrid between a vampire and werewolf," explained Gunil.

"When were you turned?" Asked Soobin as he turned to Beomgyu. "Just a few months ago," said Beomgyu. "Jiseok asked me if I wanted to help him, and I just kind of been under him since," he added, shrugging.

"So where am I in this?" Asked Soobin. "Your role is to keep Taehyun from going crazy," explained Gunil. "What do you mean?" Asked Soobin as he blinked in surprise.

"Right now in Taehyun's hospital room Taehyun is going through a change," explained Gunil. "I had no choice," he added. "I work for the government, you see," he explained. "But the government found that it was time to replace me, and Jiseok it seemed," he hummed.

"I- but why didn't you change me?" Asked Soobin. "Because you don't deserve to live through what Taehyun is about to go through," said Gunil. "I don't, huh," grumbled Soobin.

"Believe me, I would've chose you instead," Gunil explained, sighing. "But Taehyun was dying, and I refuse to let someone innocent die by the government's hands," he said. "I may work for the government but I won't kill anyone without reason," he said. "I would've kept him human, but they would've forced me to kill him and choose a different successor," he added.

"So you would rather have him suffer through... This?" Asked Soobin. "Are you mad?!" He nearly shouted, getting to his feet. "Taehyun doesn't deserve this!" He shouted. "Would you rather him die?" asked Beomgyu as he schooled his expression to be blank.

"I- no but- you don't understand," stuttered Soobin. "Taehyun isn't cut out for this life," he said. "Whatever life you're a part of," he added. "He's stronger than you think," said Gunil as he shook his head. "But you'll have to be stronger for him," he added. "It's your turn, to be the protector now," he hummed.