Chapter 1

The Ultimate Weapon

Gunil sighed as he looked at Seongyoon, who came to him about an update on things going on in St Petersburg. "I know I haven't been here in what, months? Couldn't you've let someone else in the coven know about this?" He asked.

"I thought I'd let you know that Sungyeol, Daeyeol and Bomin joined," said Seongyoon. "And Jangjun got his first tail," he added. "Great, he can be added to the list of other nine tailed foxes we know," Gunil said with sarcasm. "We knew it was a thing since before he even realized it," he said. "You know this, I know this," he added. "The only useful information you gave me was that we gained another two members and another fox," he said.

"What else do you want me to do? You left me with an entire city and nothing to work on," said Seongyoon. "I never told you you could have St Petersburg," said Gunil. "Remember whose coven you belong to kid," he growled. "Sorry, sorry," said Seongyoon. "It's fine," said Gunil as he waved off Seongyoon. "It's been a long couple of years, I need to return home," he said.

"Missions again?" Asked Seongyoon. "Youngbin needed me for the longest time," said Gunil. "And then I got a mission out of nowhere because someone big decided to retire along with two of his packmates," he said. "Who?" Asked Seongyoon. "JR, Ren and Aron," said Gunil. "JR and Aron decided to retire from vampire hunting and Ren decided to join them," he said. "Jinyoung is back to leading that pack now, which I guess is fine," he said. "Dongwoo is with him now, and all that," he hummed.

"Now can I go home?" Asked Gunil. "Sure, sorry to bother you," said Seongyoon. "Next time go to Seungmin or Jungsu, you know they're available," said Gunil before he walked away.

 

~



Gunil entered his small home, dropping his bag on the couch before flopping down on it and burying his face into the couch pillow with a groan. Gunil hadn't hunted since he left Berlin and was feeling slightly thirsty. He knew he would have to hunt soon, but the priority would be to let the beast out at some point. It had been quite a while since he was in his wolf form. He was not looking forward to the change, but knew it had to be done.

He eventually got up, stretching and preparing for the painful change. He left his house and went into the backyard, going straight to the forest that was only a few feet from his house. He walked until he could feel the first signs of the change, lurching forward and almost headbutting a tree as he threw out an arm to stop himself. He gripped at his stomach, a small whimper escaping him out of instinct as the beast inside started to claw its way forward.

"Couldn't wait could you?" Gunil grunted as he grit his teeth, feeling the physical changes start with his own organs changing and rearranging themselves. He clawed at his clothes, nearly ripping them off as the pain fully hit, causing him to fall to all fours, nearly yelling out in pain. His skin seemed to ripple as fur sprouted, his body stretching to become larger in size. He felt a tail come out before his face changed, crying out before it turned into a howl, standing as his hands grew, his fingernails turning into claws as he slashed at the tree in front of him, snarling as the beast fully took over. His feet were the last to change, shrinking slightly and arching forward to transform into paws.

Movement to his left caused the beast to turn his head, sniffing the air and smelling a lone human hiding behind one of the many trees. He dropped down to all fours, growling as he started walking towards the scent. Something else got his attention soon enough, and the beast turned, deciding to go after that instead. He leaped off, running towards what would be better prey than a mere human.

 

~



Soobin let out a breath he didn't know he was holding, relaxing as he slumped down against the tree he had been hiding behind. He had been hiking to a hang out spot where Taehyun was waiting when he saw Gunil head out to the forest. He wasn't expecting for this outsider to change into something that was only in myths and wasn't supposed to exist.

It took a few minutes before he got to his feet, going to examine the large scratches on the tree. He took a picture with his phone to save for later and show Taehyun before he started running to their hangout spot, the phone dropping to the forest floor in his panic to get to Taehyun.

Taehyun looked up when the door opened and a frantic looking Soobin ran in and slammed the door shut behind him. "Soobin? What's wrong?" He asked. "I-I," said Soobin as he slumped against the door, panic setting in as he hyperventilated, his breathing coming out in pants. "Oi," said Taehyun as he walked over, putting both his hands on Soobin's shoulders.

"Breathe Soobin, come on," said Taehyun as he got Soobin to go through breathing exercises. "You can do it, just breathe," he said. "Breathe, just breathe," Soobin said, taking deep breaths to try and calm himself down.

"What happened?" Asked Taehyun as Soobin managed to calm down. "I saw Gunil, you know the new guy that moved into town a while ago? He- He changed into something," said Soobin. "Changed into something?" Asked Taehyun.

"I don't know how to describe it," said Soobin as he fumbled around his pants and jacket pockets looking for his phone. "And of course I'd drop my damn phone," he groaned as he frantically looked for his phone.

"Didn't you just get that phone like two days ago?" Asked Taehyun. "That's beside the point Taehyun!" said Soobin. "I have proof of the encounter!" He said.

"We'll get it in the morning," said Taehyun. "You need to relax," he said. "We'll camp for the night okay?" He asked. "Right, right," said Soobin. "It's too late to head back," he said. "Your parents know we're out here right?" He asked. "Yeah," said Taehyun. "What about yours?" He asked. Soobin nodded.

 

~



Gunil jolted as he came to, sitting up next to where he had changed at. He looked around at his clothes and managed to find a shirt and his pants that wasn't shredded to pieces so he went to put them on, spotting a phone on the ground nearby. "What happened yesterday?" He asked, confused as he examined the phone, blinking as texts started pinging to the phone. He decided to pocket the phone, making his way back to the house after examining the tree he assumed the beast had decided to claw deep gouges into the night before.

His throat wasn't burning like it usually did, so Gunil just assumed the beast did manage to find something to feast on the night before. He entered his house, putting the phone on the table next to the couch before going to the bathroom to see how bloody he looked. He took off his clothes and examined the scars covering his body before going to take a shower, closing his eyes and letting the water wash away whatever blood was left over from the night before.

 

~



"Good god," said Taehyun as they came upon the remains of a deer that looked like it had been ripped to shreds. "What the hell?" Asked Soobin as he looked at the carcass, turning and throwing up as the smell hit him.

"Come on," said Taehyun. "We don't want to stick around in case the thing that attacked this returns for another meal," he said. "Okay," said Soobin as he walked back with Taehyun.

"Where'd you drop your phone?" Asked Taehyun as they neared where Gunil had changed the night before. "It was around here," said Soobin. "Because look, there's the tree that I was talking about," he said, pointing to the tree. Taehyun whistled as he walked over to examine the tree. "Who did you say did this?" He asked. "It was Gunil! I saw him change with my own eyes I swear," said Soobin.

"He must have my phone, as I'm pretty sure he probably came back to this spot," said Soobin as Taehyun looked around.

"Do you remember where he lives?" Asked Taehyun. "I think so," said Soobin. "We can go and ask for my phone back I'm sure," he added. "Hm," hummed Taehyun.