I Remember I

Best Absolute Perfect

It had been five years since the last time you stepped into Incheon Airport. The scent of the sweet and fresh perfume from the store directly in front of the Arrival gate is still the same. So is the same spot at the corner where you and Bang used to hide from the world and listen to music whenever either of you were sad. And worse, the feeling of being abandoned which you felt five years ago is still there, burning and eating your heart ever since.

"Hi, I'm ___. Mrs. Choi's daughter," you greeted politely to a middle aged lady standing behind a counter of the inn which belonged to your mom's friend. "Oh hi there dear, I have been waiting for you," she smiled at you with the sweetest and the most motherly smile you ever seen. You followed her to the second floor where you found yourself having a big room all by yourself. "You must be tired. Just wash up and rest, alright? I'll call when dinner is ready," she said, still with the smile, as she closed the door behind you. Opening the window facing the beautiful beach, you could feel the wind gushing in and showered your face with refreshment. "This will be the start of something new," you smiled at yourself, grabbing the towel from the rack and headed for a bubble bath.

After dinner, you decided to have a walk around, just a habit you picked up five years ago. You wondering around and ended up strolling in Myong-dong. You smiled as you came across the old shop which sell the best rice cake that you have been craving for. After giving your stomach a treat, you continued walking and window-shopping along the crowded street. Just then, a song was played out loud from somewhere and it caused everyone who heard it to be cheering and screaming loudly.

I don’t know why I still remember,
All our memories that were like a living hell.
I’ll remember our past. You were playing around with me.

The lyrics, the rap style and especially the voice sent tears to your eyes. You couldn't stand hearing the low deep husky voice rapping any longer. And you surely didn't want the people around you to see you bursting out in tears so you ran home as fast as possible. However your legs weren't very cooperative as it only carried you away from the crowd but the music and that haunting voice were still heard. Sitting on a swing at the park nearby, you couldn't help but cried. Tears kept on flowing even though you had tried your best to hold them back…

"Why?!?" didn't bother if anyone heard you and though you were crazy, you screamed out loud. For five years now, you thought that you had already gotten over it but just by hearing the voice, pain shot your heart again. And this time round, more aggressively. You just wanted to go back to Korea to start a new clothes line which you had signed the contract back in America but how on earth are you going to focus on your job when you could hear from radios, televisions and even along the STREET the voice that had been haunting you for years, the voice which you missed hearing, the voice that sang Happy Birthday to you on your 17th birthday, the voice which you fell in love with without even knowing it, the voice which belongs to Bang…