Retrouvailles

Soulstar - Crashing Waves and Glowing Dreams

French | noun

♦ the act of reconnecting with someone dear to your heart after a long time apart

 


 

Taehyung probably breaks like, thirty tempo limits on his way but he doesn't care! Can't help the way his lips stretch into a silly smile and refuse to let it go. Today is the big day. Finally. After four months, he is allowed to take a trip over the weekend. Without a curfew, all alone.

Well. Almost alone. 

Hoseok happily yelling the lyrics from a song called "Baepsae" on his passenger seat makes it difficult to forget his presence for longer than half a minute.

But that had been the deal with HYBE; take at least one explicitly male friend with you to not accidentally cause any dating rumours with a pretty waitress or whatever, or don't go at all. Because with his new contract, some rules have softened, but others... not so much. And Bang PD-nim was still a little on edge because of the entire plagiarism scandal, he could tell. Even though it has taken less than a week for the accusers to cave and publicly admit that everything was made up. Still. Rumours like those can ruin people. Can end entire careers, no matter whether they turn out to be true. Taehyung has seen it first-hand when it happened to Woojin, a member of a promising rookie group he had actually liked. His new manager has been involved with those guys too, back when his focus had still been on producing and not babysitting idols. He's told Taehyung one evening over a bottle of soju about 3racha, about how much fun he had with the other two guys. 

The entire deal of being so hush-hush and walking on egg shells reminds Taehyung again why the Kpop industry is often called brutal. When he questioned the strict methods of HYBE dealing with those obviously fake accusations, Chan has sent him links to News articles over recent cases of fatal rumours, given him a tight-lipped smile and said "I get that during your time off, you did not stay updated with the music world. Doesn't mean, bullies have been idle though." So Taehyung skimmed the articles about Kim Garam, Soojin and a handful others, and, oh. He hadn't known it's been that serious as of lately. So he'd caved, albeit not happily at all.

"Taehyung-ah, can I repeat the song one last time?" Hoseok looks at him from the side with big, pleading eyes, hands clasped together. "Pretty pleeeeease?"

As if Taehyung could say No to him in the first place. Besides, the title is cool. So he just nods and with a little wave of his hand gives his passenger free reign over the audio system. Hoseok cheers loudly, offers Taehyung some candy as thanks, and then fumbles with his phone. Seconds later, the song rewinds and his friend shouts "THEY CALL ME! BAEPSAEEEE" from the top of his lungs. Taehyung might need a new pair of ears soon.

The grin stays on his face, though. Hoseok only teases him six times about it. Taehyung is too giddy to care. It's been one third of an entire year, excuse him for missing his boyfriend. Fiancé. Lover. His Jeongguk, gosh.

Half an hour later they are finally getting close to their destination. Every now and then, the sea is already visible to their right. And Hoseok officially becomes nervous. Can't stop fidgeting in his seat.

"So, uh, any ideas what I should expect from my first encounter with your man?"

Taehyung swoons. His man. He likes the sound of that. A lot. "Say it again, please."

His best friend obliges, albeit with audible eye-roll. "Your man."

Taehyung sighs dreamily. "Again."

"Now you are pushing it." Hoseok's leg is bouncing so bad now, Taehyung can see it from the corner of his eyes without turning his head. "Also that still doesn't help with reassuring me that Imma be allowed to keep my head on my shoulders after 'The Fateful Encounter'." He makes air-quotes with both hands at the last three words.

Taehyung snorts, checks the street and accelerates some more. Only a few more minutes until Haneul! "Chill, he is not gonna behead you at sight."

"Oh, but later?"

"That's not what I meant."

"Listen, I just don't want to get drowned or something."

There, the first street sign that announces Haneul within a few kilometres. Taehyung's grin is back full force. Did it ever leave? "And you won't, so stop fretting."

"Because I'm not Jimin?"

Taehyung swears he only told Hoseok what he needed to know. Didn't get into detail about anything except his undying love for Jeongguk. Now, that one thing he kept gushing about for hours. But unlike the image most people have of the bubbly happy-go-lucky dancer, Hoseok's got a sharp mind behind that broad signature smile. Despite the fact that Taehyung omitted a great deal, the other was able to piece most things together himself. Which means he is now equal parts excited and terrified to meet the merman in the flesh.

"Yes, and because you are my best friend."

"And it helps that I didn't try to murder your man, right?"

Taehyung chuckles, then sighs. "Stop fretting. You are gonna be okay. To be honest, he might be more frightened of you. I didn't have time to write him about you coming with me. If it helps... he might go and strangle me for not warning him, instead of you. So yeah, you're good."

"If you say so..."

"I do."

They fly past the 'Welcome to Haneul' sign when Taehyung finally remembers to slow down. One right turn, one left turn, and he spots the first blue houses. Only a few more streets, then they'll be there. Not even five more minutes that are keeping him from falling into Jeongguk's arms. At this point, Taehyung is sure every cell in his body has gotten swapped with pure endorphins. Or filled with that stuff. That... sounds a bit more healthy. Also he is ready to vibrate himself out of the seat. Break right through the roof of that rented car - not his, because, stalkers - and fly up into the night sky like a shooting star. Except that it's not night yet. And he is not a star. But his Jeonggukkie is one!

Three more streets. Taehyung's fingers are twitching around the steering wheel, impatiently thrumming on it as he makes his way past the hairdresser where he went with Jeongguk, then past the super market where that fan spotted him and ruined everything. Just a little further, and then...

"Uwah! What the , stop , stop, stop!"

Taehyung almost crashes into Yongbok's blue house the moment he sees it. His body seizes up, hands flying off the steering wheel as he punches into the air, feet pressing down on both pedals at once, making the car jerk. His mouth is opened in a scream but all that comes out is a puff of air. He stares at the house, at the window where he can see someone looking outside for a split-second before the person disappears. The next moment, the door is thrown open and Jeongguk runs out, misses a step, stumbles, catches himself, then crosses the small distance to the car blocking street and pavement. 

"Holy ," Hoseok wheezes next to Taehyung but he doesn't hear it in his haste to jump out of the car and into Jeongguk's arms. The security belt cuts into his neck and has him flinch back. Stupid thing. One click later, he throws open the car's door, jerks upwards, hits his head on the roof and stumbles out with a loud "Ouch!"

The sudden pain is entirely forgotten in the next second, when Jeongguk pulls him into a bone-crushing embrace. His nose digs into Taehyung's neck, hands clawing at Taehyung's back.

"You're here," the mer breathes right into his ear, his voice wet and trembling.

Taehyung slings both arms around him, answering the hug just as tightly. He can barely speak past the lump in his throat. "I'm back."

A long, shuddering breath tingles against his neck. "You're here," Jeongguk says again. Squeezes Taehyung just a little tighter.

Taehyung moves up one of his hands to bury it in the mer's hair, absent-mindedly noticing how long it's gotten again during his absence. He grips it maybe a little too harshly but doesn't find it in himself to hold back. Not after how long it's been. "Yeah," he breathes. And then chokes out, "I missed you so ing much, Gguk."

If possible, the hold on him grows even tighter in silent answer. Something wet touches the bare skin of his neck. Taehyung lets out a deep, long sigh. Allows all the tension he wasn't even aware of at this point anymore to seep out of his system and goes lax in Jeongguk's hold. Loosens his grip on the mer's hair to instead gently card his hand through the silken strands.

"It's okay, I'm right here."

He has no concept of time, no idea how long they remain like that until a loud honk pulls them apart. A little transporter has come to a halt in front of their car, the driver angrily gesturing at Taehyung's rented car. Irritated, Taehyung peels himself out of the embrace.

Jeongguk's eyes go wide with the motion. "Wait!" His hand shoots out for Taehyung's arm, stopping him from getting back into the car. Something like fear twists his features, like devastation.

Taehyung carefully pries the hand off his arm and presses a tender kiss into its palm. "Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere, love. I just have to properly park the car."

The mer's expression clears a little. Hesitantly, he pulls back. "Promise?"

Taehyung nods. Tenderly cups the mer's cheek, then, after the next honk, gets into the driver's seat and buckles up. "I promise," he says before pulling the car door shut. The other driver watches with crossed arms how he reverses, refusing to back off with his transporter to give Taehyung more space for manoeuvring. Taehyung scowls at the rear mirror. What a pleasant citizen. Next to him, Hoseok too frowns at the other car and mumbles something about driving etiquette. 

"Well." Taehyung shrugs. Tries to go for nonchalance as he carefully steers the car onto the road, then off again. "This is the countryside. I suppose folks are a bit more rough here, sometimes."

His best friend pouts. "That's still mean."

Taehyung doesn't say anything else to that. Concentrates on doing a good job parking the car in a gap between two blue houses. As soon as they've cleared the way, the transporter hurtles past them with one last honk and the driver giving him the middle finger through his open window. Taehyung rolls his eyes. "Whatever, man," he mutters. He hasn't even killed the machine when Jeongguk appears out of nowhere next to the driver's door for a second time. A besotted smile tugs at his lips.

"You know what," he says without making the effort to properly turn towards Hoseok, "you can carry the gift bags. Maybe Jeonggukkie won't kill you on sight then, hm?" It's only meant as a joke, of course. As if he would think the mer intends to actually do anything to his friend. But with how eagerly Hoseok agrees and dives for the numerous bags propped onto the back seat, maybe it wasn't his worst idea.

This time, when he collides with a broad chest upon exiting the car, he is more prepared for it. Like, by a fraction. It still takes his breath away. The sudden proximity to Jeongguk after several months, that is. The fact that he can actually feel him, touch him, the warmth seeping from the mer's body into his own, everything. He is more than content to bury himself into the embrace for a little eternity. But then the other car door slams shut, and Jeongguk jerks. Swiftly pushes Taehyung behind him as he snarls at a pale Hoseok.

"I-I come in peace?" Gulping, Hoseok lifts up the gift bags he holds in both hands.

The mer doesn't say anything.

Taehyung lets out a nervous laugh, then lays a hand on Jeongguk's shoulder. "Sorry for not warning you, babe. It was a sudden change of plans. Let me explain inside?"

"Very well," the mer huffs. And then proceeds to pick up Taehyung to carry him inside without a second look at Hoseok. Taehyung throws an apologetic smile over Jeongguk's shoulder at his best friend awkwardly trailing after them.

At the door, Yongbok is already awaiting them with two trays of cookies in both hands and a bright smile on his face. "Now look who finally came back," the landlord chirps. "Took ya long enough, mate."

"Uhm, sorry," Taehyung says from his place in Jeongguk's arms.

The smaller just laughs good-heartedly. "No worries. And who's that guy?"

"Jung Hoseok, nice to meet you," the dancer says and lowers himself into a deep, perfect bow.

Yongbok's mouth goes a little slack. ", ya for real?!"

The dancer squints at him, a tad bit confused. "What do you mean?"

The lithe man puts down the cookie trays so he can flail his arms like a timid baby chick. "Like, Jung Hoseok-sunbaenim, the dancer? From the legendary Boy Meets Evil performance? The powerhouse of third-generation Korean choreographers?"

Hoseok blinks. "You know K-Pop generations?"

Taehyung snickers. Seems like he doesn't need to worry about Hoseok getting bored, while... well. While Jeongguk claims Taehyung all for himself for a good while, probably. Not that he cares. The feeling, the urge to do so, is quite mutual. As if he can sense Taehyung's thoughts, the mer tightens his hold on him, deliberately refusing to let him down even though they are long since inside. Taehyung doesn't do anything to get rid of the love-drunk smile on his face.

"D'ya want a cookie?" Yongbok sounds uncharacteristically timid.

"Uh, sure."

Hoseok picks up one of the chocolate chip cookies with some difficulties, given he still has the several gift bags in both hands. He manages, somehow, grabs the treat between his thumb and middle-finger, and shoves it into his mouth in one piece. His eyes go comically wide. "Yah," he exclaims, eyes round as saucers, a few crumbs flying out of his mouth. "Yah, Taehyung-ah, this is so good!"

"I told you he can bake," Taehyung says. Has the vague sense that it sounds as if he were gloating with what kind of tricks his pet can do. Not that Yongbok seems to mind, no. He preens.

"Yeah but I thought his baking would be, like, okay-ish. I mean, no offence, but when you say he bakes better than you, that's not exactly hard. Nine out of ten people bake better than you-"

"Yah!"

"-but this is actually really good!"

Jeongguk grunts into his ear, clearly the only one not at ease with the entire situation. He glowers at the strange human. "Why are you here?"

Oh. Right.

Taehyung taps at the mer's arm until he gets let down. Reluctantly, he puts Taehyung down onto his feet but doesn't allow even one centimetre of space to get between them. Immediately grips Taehyung's hand and entwines their fingers, clearly unwilling to let go anytime soon. Taehyung runs his thumb over the ring on Jeongguk's finger, then gives a good squeeze back.

"I wasn't allowed to leave Seoul alone," he explains with a sheepish smile at the mer. "And Hoseok-hyung is the only one who knows about you, so, yeah..."

"Hm." The mer eyes Hoseok with an unreadable expression. Then pulls Taehyung into his side and slings an arm around him. "If you ever hurt my Taehyung, I'll mince you."

The words are spoken so quietly it takes a moment for them to register. Hoseok blanches and holds up the gift bags in front of him like a protective barrier. "O-okay, cool," he squeaks.

Scowling, Taehyung nips his man - he swoons - into the side. "Babe, play nice."

The mer huffs. Without breaking eye contact to Hoseok, he leans down to press a kiss onto Taehyung's temple, claiming him in front of the others. Taehyung's toes curl. And before anyone else can say something, he  swiftly guides Taehyung upstairs. Doesn't spare Hoseok or the gifts another look. They're almost through the door to their room, when Taehyung hears Yongbok chirp, "That went well, huh?" He doesn't get to think anything further about it, however, because in the next moment the door clicks shut behind him and then there are warm lips on his, soft yet insistent. Sweet all the same. Taehyung happily melts into the kiss and decides that Hoseok will be okay on his own with Yongboks to keep him company. 

"I missed you too," Jeongguk murmurs. Drops the words right into Taehyung's open mouth before he closes the distance again.

Taehyung allows himself to let go. Lets his mind shut down and sensation take over as he slowly samples the taste of his mer's lips for the first time in four months. As he savours it like the finest wine.

They keep kissing lazily for minutes on end, hands unhurriedly roaming over each other, reacquainting themselves with the half that has been missing too long. The kisses turn intense when Jeongguk takes a deep breath, Taehyung mirroring him, and then pulls him in by the hips. It's all the warning Taehyung gets before the mers lips crash against his with an urgency that wasn't there before. Taehyung is just as eager to match the new pace, opens like a flower in the morning sun to welcome Jeongguk and lets him take whatever he needs. And, oh, taking Jeongguk does. Isn't the slightest bit shy about it as he continues his conquest. Taehyung gives him the reins for a while. Enjoys it to just feel and see what Jeongguk wants to dish out. Until the molten gold filling his abdomen grows too hot and he kisses back with equal fervour, plunges his tongue into the mer's awaiting mouth with all the burning passion he's bottled up in the past months. It borders on carnal the longer they indulge into each other, and Taehyung faintly wonders how many seconds it will be before they tumble into bed together, how often he will before exiting the room for lunch. That's how bright the fire burns between them. How hotly the flames at their guts. 

His emotions take an abrupt u-turn, though, the moment he has to pull back for air and his gaze falls from Jeongguk's kiss-swollen lips to the mole right beneath them, that cute little dot sitting on the mer's chin. He takes a shuddering breath and halts, stops Jeongguk from hungrily diving back in with both hands framing his face and holds him a breath's length away so he can finally look at him properly.

That's when it hits Taehyung. Full force. He lets his eyes roam over the mer in an almost frantic manner. Feels as if he has to burn every small detail into his mind once anew. There is the curve of Jeongguk's lips he is so familiar with, that cupid's bow right above, his strong nose that leads to equally strong, expressive eyebrows, those otherworldly inky blue eyes that are always so expressive for him. That, whenever Taehyung looks at them, seem to hold an entire galaxy of their own. Now it's no different as those very same eyes have this intense look in them which seems to pierce right through Taehyung's soul. Under them, the stars running over Jeongguk's cheekbones are gleaming. The mer tilts his head forward, and lose black strands fall into his face in black waves. 

"Taehyung," he says in a deep rumble - dark, sensuous, loving and dangerous, like the bottom of the sea. Lifts a hand to his thumb over Taehyung's cheek with the most tender expression. He's caught onto the mood shift in no time at all, all the heat gone in favour of heart-shattering fragility. He leans in to place a gentle kiss on Taehyung's forehead, the bridge of his nose, the tip, his eyelids, cheeks, mouth. A full-body shiver wracks through Taehyung and his breath hitches. "Taehyung, my little star." It sounds like a vow, like a prayer, the way Jeongguk says it.

And Taehyung breaks.

The wave crest and spills. The lonely nights, his empty bed, the absence of a lingering touch, of Jeongguk showering him with love. The Jeungguk-shaped hole in his chest that has seemed to plunge deeper and deeper every day and that couldn't be filled with anything else, be it movie nights, lavish dinners, sweets, sleepovers with his best friends, or the success of his album. A dry sob claws its way up his throat, and the next second there are tears running down his cheeks. Jeongguk is quick to pull him into his chest, bury his nose in Taehyung's hair and whisper sweet reassurances as Taehyung begins to shake like a leaf in an autumn storm. 

"I'm here," Jeongguk says again and again.

Taehyung doesn't know how often he repeated those words already before they begin to make sense to him. And he appreciates them, so, so much. Yet it still takes him a good while to calm down. Jeongguk gives him all the time he needs, even as Taehyung thinks he can feel some wetness on his skin that didn't come from his own eyes.

Eventually, he takes to kissing Taehyung's salty tears away and Taehyung can't help but giggle at the endearing gesture. Also, it tickles. Jeongguk smiles at the little sound, lifts one of Taehyung's hands up to kiss every knuckle, then proceeds to do the same with the other. When he reaches the ring proudly sitting on Taehyung's finger, he pauses. Reverently runs his thumb over it, his own eyes glistening suspiciously. Then he kisses the ring, too. Lingers there, caresses the band of metal with his lips and bestows yet another peck on it. Taehyung feels like tearing up again at the gesture. He huffs, slightly annoyed at his own antics. Just as he's been about to calm down. But of course that's not an option. Leave it to Jeongguk to do terrible things to his poor heart.

"Stupid mer," he mutters.

Jeongguk gazes up at him from where he is hunched over Taehyung's hand, and raises an eyebrow. "Hm?"

"...Nothing."

A secretive smile tugs at the mer's lips. Taehyung pouts. As if Jeongguk hadn't been just as emotional upon his arrival. What a player.

Another kiss lands on his puckered lips, feather-light like a fallen petal. Dropped there like a precious little gift. Taehyung tears up some more.

 

•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•

 

Jeongguk frowns down at Taehyung. After he's deliberately taken his time getting Taehyung out of his clothes one by one and gently laid him down onto the bed with all the intention to worship him in any way he deserves,  but now he falters. This is not... this isn't how he remembers Taehyung.

Of course, the other notices his hesitation. Taehyung reaches out for him, pads of his fingers ghosting up Jeongguk's bare arm. "What is it?"

The mer watches, both in wonder and confusion, as his own hands roam over Taehyung's stomach, chest, shoulders, arms.

"I know every part of your body," he muses, "and I know for a fact that you looked very different the last time I had you like this."

Taehyung hums. "Preparing for a spectacular comeback does that to you, I suppose."

"I see."

Again, Jeongguk lets his hands glide over the much more defined muscles. Where Taehyung used to be soft and malleable, he is now all hard planes and sharp edges. The mer wonders if such a drastic change is healthy. He hopes Taehyung didn't have to push himself beyond his limits to achieve that.

"That's not all, though, is it?"

His fingers twitch back to Taehyung's left ribs. To the spot where delicate lines are now covering former unblemished skin, forming a cresting wave with the slightest hint of blue. And in its centre, there sits a single sparkling star.

Taehyung blushes beautifully.

"Yeah, well," he mumbles and bites his lip, turns his head away. "I wanted something to permanently remind me of you. Some kind of... proof?"

"Proof?" Jeongguk flicks a nail against one of Taehyung's pearl earrings. His pearl earrings, the ones made from the pearls Jeongguk gave him. Taehyung is still wearing them, the mer notes with no small amount of satisfaction. 

"Uhh..."

The mer taps with his claw against Taehyung's ring next. "Have I been neglecting you, my little star?"

The delicious flush on Taehyung's face deepens. "That's not... that's not what I meant," he stutters.

"Are you sure? I still feel like I have to make it up to you." His hands drift upwards at both sides of Taehyung's body. Higher and higher, until he can comfortably lean down and press a kiss against the tattoo. He props his chin up on that spot and gazes up at Taehyung. And laughs lightly, as the other brings up both hands to cover his face.

"Gosh, stop. I'm seriously gonna explode if you keep going."

"Cute."

"Let me be," Taehyung whines and struggles as Jeongguk tries to pull his hands away from his face. "I've just cried my eyes out and look probably super ugly and blotchy, my heart is beating like mad and my brain has turned to mush. But here you are, being all cool and suave, you meanie. This is only adding fuel to my misery!"

Again, Jeongguk chuckles. This time he doesn't try that hard to sound collected though. "You poor thing." He tenderly a claw up Taehyung's jawline once he manages to uncover his flushed face. "You really believe I'm not just as much of a mess? I've only pretended to be calm so as to not upset you further. I'm anything but 'cool', when it comes to you. Especially after it's been such a long time. I'm only barely holding back right now."

Taehyung squints at him. "Really?"

With a brilliant smile, the mer guides one of Taehyung's hands to his own chest. "Really."

He watches Taehyung's eyes go wide as he comes to feel the rhythm of his galloping heart. "Whoa, dude, are you okay?!"

For a moment, Jeongguk loses his composure. Twitches, then snorts and shakes his head. "Did you earnestly just call me dude? When I have you like this? Taehyung."

Taehyung huffs. "I short-circuited, okay?"

The sight of him defiantly pouting like that has the mer throwing back his head in laughter. Still chuckling, he slumps down, kisses Taehyung's temple and then lets himself flop onto Taehyung with all his weight.

"Oof!"

His body keeps twitching with suppressed giggles. 

"You are heavy," Taehyung complains under him.

Jeongguk shakes with laughter. "Oh, Taehyung, you perfect thing. Please never change."

After some more cursing and complaining from Taehyung's side, the mer has mercy and rolls off him, only to pull him close again right after, so they both rest on their sides. Before he even notices, their legs tangle together like they always used to do. Jeongguk hums, content, and closes his eyes for a moment to soak in the serenity of all this. Lets the feeling of Taehyung back in his arms settle somewhere deep in his chest. He takes a deep breath, then another, as he allows himself to come to terms with this new reality. With the one thing he's been longing for all these months. This is real, he keeps repeating silently like a mantra. This is real. Taehyung is here. Jeongguk takes a long, deep breath. Imagines this new reality settling into his very bones, seeping into even the smallest crack.

Then he opens his eyes again and lifts a hand to run it through Taehyung's now dark hair. It looks unfairly good on him. Jeongguk knew he's dyed his hair for the comeback, has seen it on enough videos. It's something else entirely to witness in person, however. He gives a playful flick to Taehyung's forehead.

"Also what was that with you looking ugly, huh? As if that's physically possible."

Taehyung pouts, again. He seems to be doing that quite a lot today. Jeongguk doesn't think twice before kissing the pout right off his lips. The sea in his veins sings at the little gasp Taehyung lets out. And the sea in the bay, well. It's been going wild for a little while now. How could it not, with how elated the mer is upon finally holding his beloved one again? Jeongguk doesn't pay it any mind, though, too focussed on the vision that is Taehyung right in front of him. In the same room, the same bed as him. The sea can roll around happily all it wants for now, behave like a playful child for all he cares. He'll focus on taming it... later. After he's taken the edge off their reunion.

Not suspecting anything of his inner turmoil  - of the tides wreaking havoc at the shore in the exuberant joy they share with their mer - Taehyung cradles his face and gives him a blinding smile.

"Yah, you silly fish. As if I could handle any more flattery from you right now."

"Too bad. I have four months worth of flattery to make up to you."

With a groan, Taehyung flops onto his back. "Ugh, I surrender. This is the end, I'm gonna die."

"Aren't you being a bit dramatic?"

"Yah, you fell in love with my dramatic . Don't even try to deny it."

The mer chuckles and reaches out to tug one of Taehyung's dark strands behind his ear. "I would never dare."

Taehyung hums. He takes Jeongguk's hand where it's been lingering against his neck and studies it silently. The mer watches him with bated breath. Each point of contact between them burns. Taehyung is searing his presence into Jeongguk's flesh. He is acutely aware of each point of contact, absent-mindedly waiting for his skin to start steaming. It's too much, too intense after that complete lack of Taehyung by his side. But he'll be damned to let go for even one second. Even if it hurts, if it's eating him alive. This is Taehyung, his Taehyung. He'll make sure to cherish every moment together. Because in some corner of his mind, even through the haze Jeongguk is well aware of the fact that this is just a visit. In a few days, Taehyung will have to go back again. And who knows how long it'll be until they can see each other afterwards?

"Good," Taehyung says then. He lays their palms flat against each other, the metal of their rings clinking together. They both watch, enraptured. Without letting go, Taehyung cards his other hand through Jeongguk's hair. The gesture zaps through him like electricity. For a split-second, Jeongguk's mind flits back to the one time he went with his two fathers to visit a friend of theirs at the other side of the planet. He'd still been a young and brazen mer back then, too nosy for his own good. And had learnt the hard way that electric eels don't make good pets.

He blinks, and is back in the present, with Taehyung intently gazing at him.

"You have changed, too. Your hair has gotten so long. I'm sorry I haven't been here to see it grow." 

Jeongguk shakes his head. Said hair tickles where it slides against his back. "Don't be."

Taehyung furrows his brows. The mer thumbs at the crease until it evens out again and Taehyung giggles.

"Well," the latter muses. "I guess that means I can braid your hair again now. Unless you want to get another haircut?"

"No!" Jeongguk shakes his head vehemently, and Taehyung laughs.

"Okay, okay, no haircut, then." 

Taehyung grabs his chin and pulls him in for a sloppy kiss. The mer hums into it, happy all the same. It tapers off into a low groan when Taehyung's teeth sink into his bottom lip and pull until it stings.

"Taehyung."

"That's my name, yeah."

He runs his hands over Jeongguk's ribs with purpose. Down, then up again, giving teasing flicks to his s. The breath catches in Jeongguk's throat. Everything inside him stills. And distantly he notices the sea coming to a sudden stop, too. As if a damper was put onto it. It's unnatural and will surely turn heads, but right now he doesn't find it in himself to care.

"Taehyung," he breathes again.

Taehyung hums. "We still have a little time left until lunch, I guess. Anything you wanna do until then?" He lifts an eyebrow in challenge.

And just with that simple motion, the sea begins to roar. Thunders against the shore even stronger than before. Just like the blood that's now roaring through Jeongguk's veins, so loud he thinks he can actually hear it. Oh, the sea is singing. And so is his heart.

Accepting the invitation for what it is, he sneaks a claw between Taehyung's legs. Watches goosebumps littering the skin where he drags his sharp nails over it, spellbound. He wraps a hand around Taehyung's length, swipes a thumb over the head, and marvels at the shudder running through Taehyung. A shaky breath fills the space between them, followed by a whisper of his name. The mer his lips.

"I have a few ideas."

 

•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•

 

Taehyung hums happily at the feeling of a hand down his back. All of his limbs feel deliciously heavy. As they should. God, he is spent. Sighing, he wiggles his toes and buries further into the embrace.

"I never want to let go again," he mumbles.

Jeongguk hums against his shoulder. "Same."

Taehyung chuckles at that. "We are hopeless, aren't we?"

"I see nothing wrong with that."

"Hmm." He tilts his head to the side, smiling. "Kiss me?"

The mer goes a little cross-eyed as he watches from up close. "As if you'd ever have to ask."

Taehyung laughs while his face gets dotted with kisses. When the mer drifts lower to shower Taehyung's neck with cute little pecks though, and then down to his chest, his stomach, tongue teasingly dipping into his navel, that's when Taehyung grips his head and pulls him back up. Maybe he is more impatient than he thought. Or maybe Jeongguk has just become too good of a kisser to let any opportunity go to waste.

"I miss your lips on mine," he mutters.

Jeongguk nudges their noses together. "Can't have that, can we?"

"Absolutely not."

 

By the time they've calmed down enough to think about leaving the room - and some strength has returned to Taehyung's limbs - their lips have gone numb from all the kissing. And the , oh, the . If he closes his eyes, Taehyung can still feel the phantom sting of Jeongguk pulling his hair when he went down on him. And as always, the mer is a man of extremes. Because one moment they are wiping off each other, and the next, Jeongguk delicately runs the pad of his finger over Taehyung's long lashes and says, "My lips danced around your name every night."

And expects Taehyung to be okay after hearing that, apparently?

Which is ridiculous. Seriously, how could he possibly expect Taehyung to do anything else than melt into a puddle? Jeongguk does his adorable little giggle as he crouches down to pick up Taehyung from where he slid down onto the floor. "Are you alright?"

"You can't just say like this," Taehyung wheezes.

"It's not , it's true."

Taehyung buries his face in both hands. "Oh God. I need a second, or three."

And of course, his sweet, sweet mer grants him all the time he wants.

They emerge from their room not much later. Finally. Took them long enough. As soon as they open the door, a delicious scent wafts up to them. Taehyung gasps.

"Dude, is this pasta Alfredo I smell?"

Both Yongbok and Hoseok pop their heads out of the kitchen and stare up at him in pure shock.

"How d'ya know?!"

Taehyung puffs out his chest and grins. "Boys, I'm Kim Taehyung. Of course I know European food."

Hoseok snorts and crosses his arms. "Bull, I still remember how you thought there are only two different kinds of Italian pasta."

"Yah, you traitor!"

Taehyung hurries down the stairs before his friend can embarrass him further. They've known each other for ten years now; that's a long time to collect roasting material. Behind him, Jeongguk trudges downstairs much more hesitantly. Until Hoseok pulls Taehyung in a headlock, that is. Then the mer is at Taehyung's side in an instant, his expression stormy. Hoseok thankfully takes notice immediately with those keen senses of his that often are labelled abnormal amongst trainees. Both of his arms shoot up in surrender.

"Whoa," Yongbok mutters from behind a pink oven mitt. "Possessive much? Yer mate never acted like this with me."

Taehyung sighs and massages the bridge of his nose. "Yeah, well, you didn't strangle me on the first day we met, so."

"Huh, true."

With a smile that he hopes is reassuring, Taehyung grabs the mer's hand and leads him to the table. "Come on, babe. This was just some friendly banter, nothing to worry about, 'kay?"

When he makes to pull away so he can take a seat at the chair to Jeongguk's left, the mer stubbornly refuses to let go. Keeps a tight grip on Taehyung's hand.

"Uh."

Taehyung dumbly blinks down at their entwined hands. He gives an experimental tug, but Jeongguk looks up from where he already sat down, and pouts at him. And. Yeah, okay, Taehyung didn't want to let go anyway. A small voice in the back of his head calls him a pathetic wimp for giving in that easily but he decides to just ignore it. Within a few moments, he makes his peace with the situation.

"Okay, but at least scoot back a little, yeah?"

The chair scratches over the floor as Jeongguk eagerly obliges, and in the next second, Taehyung gets pulled onto his lap.

"Yer so cute together," Yongbok coos when he sets down a gigantic bowl of pasta in the middle of the table. "I kinda missed that."

Taehyung blushes himself into a parallel dimension. "Th-thanks."

Hoseok in the meanwhile wisely takes the seat that's furthest from Jeongguk. Taehyung watches it happen and gnaws on his lip.

 

Their lunch passes off without further incident. Jeongguk makes it his single most important task to feed him, and Taehyung happily lets himself get pampered while their landlord keeps shovelling more and more food onto their plates. Only Hoseok is staring at the mer as if he were an alien, which. Now that Taehyung thinks about it, is not even that far off. Jeongguk is extraterrestrial, after all. Or, he used to be, back when he was still a star. Huh. Taehyung chews on his bite and contemplates. Does that mean he is engaged with an alien? Then again, if he's going all physical, this doesn't sound about right either. Because if those mer legends are true and they all indeed used to be stars that hit the Earth... this planet wouldn't be alright, now, would it? Because stars are suns, and suns are, well, huge in comparison. So it's probably more likely that Jeongguk used to be a meteor, then. Or the entire merfolk legend is just exactly that - a legend. But then, magic?! How does that work?

Maybe he just shouldn't try to make sense of it, full-stop.

Anyway. When Hoseok opens his mouth, Taehyung quickly motions for him to keep quiet. Whatever his best friend is about to say, he doesn't want to have it in front of Yongbok. The poor guy is blissfully unaware about merfolk, or so he hopes. This conversation needs to happen without the tiny blond amateur chef.

Hoseok huffs when Taehyung gives him yet another warning look, and shoves a large bite of pasta into his mouth.

They unexpectedly get a possibility for that private talk right after lunch, when Yongbok opens the fridge and shrieks.

", I didn't realise the bloody fridge is empchoo, gottah buy more of everything right about now! Looks like a black hole in heah."

He looks over his shoulder to the three young men on the table, into the apparently empty fridge, then back to the others again.

From his place on Jeongguk's lap, Taehyung gives a thumbs-up at the hesitating landlord. "Don't worry, we won't kill each other while you're gone."

" 'N I'm supposed ta believe that? Wat if ya are secretly rivals or something? It's a tough business is all I'm sayin'!"

"Yah!"

Taehyung is the only one who doesn't flinch at the loud yell, used to Hoseok's antics.

The other idol doesn't even seem to notice it, though, and says, "I'll have you know that Taehyung-ah and I are bestest best friends for real. I would never betray him."

"Except when you have to go onto a rollercoaster," Taehyung mutters.

He gets a kick against his shin in response - except, Hoseok doesn't look, forgets the way they are seated, and hits Jeongguk's leg instead. Taehyung watches with bated breath how the mer pulls his lips back in a silent snarl and thinks, maybe he should have kept his mouth shut.

Yongbok, however, doesn't notice a single thing. He's already busy writing a shopping list where he jumped onto the kitchen counter, short legs dangling in the air. It takes him less than three minutes before he jumps back down, breezes past them with a cheery "See ya", grabs his denim jacket and a beanie, and is out of the house.

Silence falls.

Taehyung wonders if there is a good way to de-escalate the situation. And can't help but feel a twinge of confusion about the mers repetitive blatant aversion towards Hoseok. He never acted like that with Yongbok. With Jimin and the fishermen, yes. But for that, he had good reason. What did Hoseok do to deserve such treatment?  Turns out, he worried for nothing. Because while Jeongguk gives a grim stare to Hoseok, teeth bared and figurative hackles raised, the other now looks at him with blatant fascination.

"Do you really have a tail?!"

For a second, Taehyung is worried that Jeongguk's eyes might fall out. Then, the mer's head whips around to him. The look of betrayal on his face is so loud it shouts at Taehyung, from the bottom of the mer's lungs.

"He KNOWS?!?"

"Uh."

Right. Taehyung may or may not have omitted the part where he told Hoseok about merfolk - or about one certain mer. Not out of malice, though, never. It just... slipped his mind. Seems like it's come to bite him in the now.

"Taehyung."

And just as quickly as the black thunderclouds came, they are gone again, chased away by a steel-grey sky and ice-cold, biting rain. The way Jeongguk says his name makes it sound like something brittle, something that's about to fall onto the ground and shatter into so many little pieces it will be impossible to find them all and put them back together. Taehyung aches by looking at him, by the anguish written over his face. Yet it hurts more to turn away. And something tells him that he has to bear witness to the unshed tears now lining the mer's eyes. As price he has to pay for-

"You promised me."

-for breaking Jeongguk's trust.

"I'm sorry, Gguk," he whispers. Feels his voice getting stuck somewhere in his throat. He reaches out, cups Jeongguk's face in both hands, and the single tear away with a thumb when it makes its descend down the mer's cheek.

Jeongguk leans into the touch with a saddening desperation as if he can't help himself. Even when he is probably beyond mad at Taehyung.

"I never wanted to hurt you."

The mer keeps their eyes locked, leaves the fraying string between them intact until it snaps and he buries his head in the crook of Taehyung's neck. Maybe because he can't stand looking at his face any longer. The mere thought breaks Taehyung's heart. Cracks his ribcage open and pierces right inside.

"I never wanted to hurt you," he says again, voice wobbly. His hand twitches with the impulse to bury itself in the dark hair, but he hesitates. Isn't sure if he is allowed to touch.

The voice comes out muffled when Jeongguk answers him. It sounds oddly detached. As if Jeongguk is steeling himself for more pain to come. "Then why did you tell someone about me?"

"I-"

Hoseok, bless his heart, doesn't hesitate to chime in despite all the snarls and glares he received already. Seems like all it takes for him to get his tail out from between his legs is a chance to defend his best friend. "He was going insane from everything, in case you forgot, yah!"

Taehyung flinches. He really, really doesn't want a reminder for that. And more importantly...

"That's not how I wanted to break it to him, hyung!"

But Hoseok is now officially past caring. At the same time, in a weird juxtaposition, he obviously cares more than enough. Or this whole conversation wouldn't happen. "So? I blew your cover. Too bad. So maybe you broke your vow or something, but need I remind you that it was for the very important reason of your mental and physical wellbeing? The first thing I heard from you in months was that you were being held hostage in your holiday inn and that your lover was being tortured while you were having a panic attack, for 's sake!"

Jeongguk goes rigid at those words, just like Taehyung, because, , yeah, maybe he omitted that detail too. His panic attack didn't seem all too important back then, especially in comparison to what the mer has gone through. The hold on him tightens and Taehyung, hoping it means he is forgiven at least a little, finally weaves his fingers through dark, thick strands of hair.

"What point are you even trying to make?"

"Well, I'm trying to tell your man-"

Taehyung hates how he goes all soft and mushy at the word. This is a very sad setting right now, he absolutely cannot smile. ing hell.

"-that breaking a promise is okay when it means you managed to stay sane thanks to that and succeeded in saving both of your lives, obviously."

Taehyung huffs. Runs his other hand up and down Jeongguk's back as he takes notice of the shuddering breaths coming out of him. "Which part of this mess was supposed to be obvious?"

"It all made perfect sense in my head," Hoseok snaps. The turns his attention directly at Jeongguk. "All I'm saying is, I might be afraid you are going to kill me because I'm a human and I know what you are, but that doesn't mean I'll let poor Taehyung-ah feel bad about this, you hear me? If you wanna pick a fight with him, you gotta get past me first!"

Whatever Taehyung has done in his past life, it must've been something amazing for him to have such a great friend. Although the last few words of Hoseok's speech come out a bit wobbly. And the gulp after he's finished it with surely takes some edge off it, too. However, it's the thought that counts, no?

"Besides," Hoseok adds, "it's not like I would ever run around telling everyone about you."

"And why should I believe you, human?"

Taehyung flinches. This one hurts. Jeongguk never, not once, branded that word around him. It sounds like a curse, like a damnation. Like he wants to spit in Hoseok's face because he has legs instead of a fish tail.

"...Because I'm Taehyung-ah's best friend and that means I'm a good bean?"

The mer scoffs. "The last time I met one of his friends, I ended up hanging upside-down from a rusty hook. Forgive me, if I find it a little hard to take your word on trust."

Taehyung whines. He does not like how this conversation is going. He also loathes the shadow that's fallen on Jeongguk's usually so splendid features when he turns his head to watch the mer staring down his best friend. Maybe worst of all are the pictures shoving themselves to the front of his mind, though. The memories of the night when he had to watch the fisherman dragging Jeongguk away as nothing more but a bloody pulp, of how he found Jeongguk in that tank later. The phantom smell of blood invades his senses and he has to clench his teeth, gulp, and take deep breaths to not throw up right there. He vaguely registers his body turning hot and cold, a thin sheen of sweat forming everywhere. His fingers tense up, slacken, then tense again as he fights for control. As his focus starts to slip.

"Taehyung!"

He blinks.

When did Jeongguk's hands get on his face. , is he doing that badly? Did he miss something? Is there a gap in his memory and he just didn't notice yet? What's going on?

"Taehyung," the mer pleads again, thumbs over his cheeks and burning

"He needs to breathe," comes a muffled voice from next to him that may or may not belong to Hoseok, he isn't sure.

But also... Taehyung furrows his brows. He is breathing. What do they mean? This is very confusing and all.

"Okay, take a deep breath for me, pearl."

He does. See, he is breathing alright.

"And out, out again, come on. And in."

...Oh. Maybe he isn't?

"And out, don't forget to breathe."

Why do they keep saying that?

"Maybe we should lay him down for a bit - don't gimme that look, I won't touch him, you put him down, then! Just like that, yeah. And legs up. Okay. I'll get some water."

The world shifts and Taehyung loses track of where left, right, up and down are. He blankly stares ahead until his fried brain succeeds to work out that the thing he is looking at is the ceiling. Well. And the head of one very concerned Jeongguk floating above him. Huh. Why is he looking like that? Taehyung doesn't like it.

"Tell him to keep breathing!"

"Deep breaths, little star."

Oh. Yeah. He can do that.

 

After who knows how long, the feeling returns to his limbs. Or more like, the proper, usual feeling. Not that unsettling sensation as if he'd loose all toes and fingers to frostbite within the next minutes.The unpleasant itch disappears, the cold sweat cools down - or warms up, or simply evaporates. Anyway, it gradually stops being a thing. And he thinks he's doing an okay job with breathing again. Also his hands aren't shaking like mad anymore where they are clasped around a half-empty cup of water. The other half of it is busy soaking through his trousers.

"Uh," he croaks. "This was not funny, and also not how I planned things to go."

Hoseok nods, arms crossed. "Yep, he's getting better."

"Are you sure," Jeongguk asks without looking anywhere but Taehyung for even a second.

"Yeah, if he can complain already, he's slowly getting his spirits back. A few more minutes on the floor and he'll stop looking like mouldy cheese."

Taehyung scowls. "What is that even supposed to mean?"

"See, he's gonna be alright. Cookie, Tae-ah?"

He accepts the offered treat with a pout and begins to slowly nibble on it while the others watch his every move. Once the cookie is gone, he makes grabby hands for more.

"Look, he's getting some colour back now," Hoseok appraises with several nods. "How do you feel?"

Taehyung thinks about it. "Like I've been put in a blender and then in a freezer right after. But better, now."

Jeongguk lets out a long, shaky sigh. And then timidly answers the fist-bump Hoseok offers him. Huh. Taehyung blinks. So he just had to faint (or almost faint? He still hasn't figured out if he actually lost consciousness or not) to have those two bonding. Who would have thought?

After a while, he purses his lips when he remembers something. "Wait. Why am I the one losing my about this when you are the one who all the terrible things happened to?" he asks the mer.

Jeongguk tilts his head and hums, deep in thought for a moment before he says: "Well, I didn't have to watch me bleeding out."

He freezes then, eyes going wide as he watches Taehyung with bated breath.

This time, the nausea doesn't come. Which is good, because Taehyung doesn't feel like having a repeat of what just happened anytime soon.

So he just weakly says, "Cool," stuffs another cookie into his mouth, and lays down onto the tiles.

 

Yongbok eyes the three men sitting on his tiled kitchen floor, sets one of the grocery bags down, and puts the now free hand on his hip.

"Did I miss something?"

They look at each other, and shake their heads.

"No."

"Nothing."

"Not really, nope."

The landlord squints at them. "...Imma just pretend I believe yous."