Pulchritudinous

Soulstar - Crashing Waves and Glowing Dreams

English/Latin | adjective

♦beyond beautiful, of breathtaking beauty

 


"Do you have a death wish?"

Taehyung turns around to his landlord and rolls his eyes. "You know, others wish each other a good morning when meeting for the first time of the day."

Yoongi doesn't even budge and keeps eyeing Taehyung's attire of the day - long jeans but a light t-shirt despite the less than friendly temperatures outside. It makes his chest pop nicely. Excuse him for wanting to look good for Jeongguk without obviously trying too hard.

The older's eyes come back up to Taehyung's face. He repeats his question with the same deadpan drawl as before.

"No, seriously, do you have a death wish?"

"Just say what's your problem," Taehyung huffs. He doesn't have time for this. Jeongguk is probably already waiting for him and, yeah. He smiles at the mere thought of him.

"Yoongi-bear wants you to put on some clothes," Jimin merrily chirps from upstairs. It's so contrary to his behaviour a two days ago.

Taehyung gawks at the empty stairs.

"How did you- you're not even here!"

Jimin cackles. "Oh, but I know~"

It's creepy is what it is. Taehyung says as much, adds something about magic under his breath, then starts packing his lunchbox for the day while simultaneously eating breakfast. The way Jimin's cackle abruptly dies down the moment he mentioned magic is not lost on him.

When Yoongi comes to stand next to him and just silently stares at him, Taehyung caves. Still grumbling under his breath, he stomps up the stairs to change out of the short-sleeved shirt.

Now here is the thing: when Taehyung moved to this no-name town months ago, he did not exactly go on a wild shopping spree before. Which means he just brought a bunch of his favourite clothes. And sure, his summer attire happens to be nothing too exciting as it mostly consists of monochrome shirts and some basic trousers. His autumn and winter wardrobe, however. They are a completely different story. Because cold weather means more fabric and that means showing off luxury. Most of his long clothes are things he wears to public appearances. In other words, they are expensive brand pieces and look the part, too. Back when he packed his bags Taehyung didn't think much about it and just picked some of his comfortable wear which still is classy chic.

But now, he feels a little... overdressed. Especially in a fisher town where most folks wear the same clothes to work everyday for several weeks.

For the past three days there has been an ugly stain on Jimin's more than well-worn trousers, which, okay, you do you, Taehyung guesses. He won't discriminate. He should however not have asked what it's from, because his landlord has just shrugged and said, "fish brain, probably", and. He could've done without that information, thank you very much.

But back to the problem. Which is, that Taehyung can't dress down when he wants to attempt to also dress warm. Because if he picks the champagne shirt that may be plain in colour yet is still made with fine fabric and obviously good enough to be worn for tv broadcasts, then he has to change his trousers and shoes too. Has to wear his hazelnut dress pants and coat that fit so well with the shirt, get out of the sneakers and grab some leather shoes instead. The rules of fashion demand it. And now that he's already at it... he dips his fingers into the hair gel. Just a little. Just enough to expose his forehead. He's already royally late on Jeongguk at this point, two more minutes won't make much of a difference.

Taehyung casts a glance at the pile of clothes he's worn for maybe twenty minutes today and huffs. The only thing he did not change is his underwear. But then again, the steel grey sky doesn't look exactly enticing. Maybe Yoongi was right. Maybe dressing warm is the smarter thing to do.

He's not going to admit that, though. Ever.

Just like he's going to ignore the judging look Yoongi gives him - again - upon entering the kitchen for the second time.

"You look ready to give a press conference or some ."

He doesn't. A press conference would see him going all out, probably opting for a black three-piece suit. And jewelry. And makeup.

But more importantly-

"You told me to go get changed."

"Never did."

"It was heavily implied."

Yoongi snorts, crosses his arms and turns away. "Whatever, kid. Don't come asking me why people start recognising you as a celebrity when you walk around like this."

"Oh, please. I'm literally wearing a shirt and some trousers. Besides, except for you, nobody in Nakseongdae even knows one Kim Taehyung exists."

"You sure 'bout that?"

Taehyung scowls. "You were literally the one to tell me that-"

"Dunno what you're talking about."

"I've got witnesses! Jimin also heard it."

"Too bad. He already left. Can't ask him anymore," Yoongi drawls.

Taehyung shrieks.

"What, without saying goodbye?!"

Yoongi shrugs. Looks every bit as unapologetic as he sounds. "Well, unlike others, he's got to work."

Taehyung pouts. He grabs his bag and leaves without another word. Yoongi wants to play dirty? Fine. He doesn't get a goodbye from Taehyung, then.

He forgets about the whole thing, and about him wearing some of his not-too-shabby clothes fast enough. Within twenty steps, to be exact. That's how long it takes for him to remember that he's off seeing Jeongguk. Once the name flits through his head, everything else becomes secondary.

Gosh. He is running later than usual. And that means, the time he spent apart from the mer is longer than on most days. Unacceptable. His quick steps turn into a jog down the streets without him even noticing.

Jeongguk is indeed already waiting for him. Pops his head out of the water as soon as the pitter-patter of Taehyung's steps on the pier announces his arrival.

"Hi," Taehyung breathes out, heart zealously pumping from the exertion and refusing to calm down at the stunning sight of his favourite mer. 

Just when he arrives, the sun breaks through the clouds and turns everything, the sea and the very air, golden. There are remnants of fog clinging into the niche formed by the u-shaped pier and the old huts looming over it. It turns into glowing honey mist, basking everything in an enchanting light. And in the midst of it, there is Jeongguk. Jeongguk, who looks more unreal than ever, like a fairytale prince or a dream.

Taehyung has the distinct sense he's gaping. He shuts his mouth, opens it again, gnaws on his lip. Almost expects something like a "You're late" in lieu of greeting to break the spell.

Nothing of the sort happens.

Instead, what Jeongguk choses to say is, "You're pretty."

It takes Taehyung forever to process the words. And then another eternity to remember that, right, he dressed up a little bit today.

"Uhm. Thanks. I mean, you too. But you always are, of course." He sheepishly rubs his neck.

For 's sake, where did his ability to speak go?! Jeongguk looks like the God of the sun and is so damn breathtaking it should be illegal. 

It should be burnt to the retinas of every human on earth.

Things don't get better from there. Taehyung, for whatever reason, remains a flustered mess. He's inwardly cursing himself for acting like a shy little .

Seeing how out of his element he is - and after a glance at the grey clouds that once again are crowding the sun, a biting wind whipping through the air as if the whole world were out to prove that summer is over today - he even decides against coming into the water.

It's not that he has no trust in Jeongguk keeping the water cosily warm for him. But even Jeongguk' apparently tremendous powers have limits. So while he can control the water to do the craziest things for him, the air is very much not his element. And Taehyung really doesn't feel like catching a cold because he keeps swimming all day when the wind is that nasty.

It's a little hard to explain to the mer, though, especially once his frown turns into a mighty pout and then into downturned corners of his mouth, the entirety of Jeongguk looking just so, so sad.

Naturally, Taehyung stumbles over every second word and needs four tries before he gets across that at least for the time being he'd rather stay here, at their spot behind the huts.

He knows Jeongguk prefers the beach and its solidarity. No humans around, and they can be as loud as they want. He doesn't have to hide anything there.

But. If Taehyung ends up catching a cold (and he knows it's very much possible), then they won't be able to meet at all for entire days. And that's even worse than hiding from the rest of the town.

So Jeongguk caves, albeit unwillingly. That much is obvious.

His mood rises once Taehyung gets out of his left sock and shoe too, pushes the legs of his trousers up and dangles his legs in the water, splashing the mer with a giddy giggle. It may be not the his whole body submerged in water but it undeniably is some degree of contact with the sea - and thus Jeongguk. 

By the time the water droplets land on his face, the mer is already laughing.

Their usual routine gets disrupted even more, book quickly resting in Taehyung's lap forgotten, when Jeongguk starts asking about his clothes.

"Do you always wear long things when it gets colder, Taehyung?"

He nods. "Yeah. When it gets even more cold, they will also be thicker. Here." He leans down and stretches an arm out for Jeongguk to feel, the mer tentatively pinching at the soft sleeve. "It's not that bad yet, so I'm fine wearing thin fabric. But in a few days, I'll switch to other shirts, and in winter I'll mostly wear thick wool."

The mer tilts his head. "Bad weather?"

"Mhm. Remember how I said I can get sick from certain weather? Odds for that are even bigger when it's cold. So I have to layer up and keep myself warm when I want to stay healthy. You know?"

Jeongguk nods. Then swims over to where the pier curves around the hut and pulls himself up before plopping down on the wood. Chin perched on both hands, he blinks at Taehyung.

"Tell me more."

So Taehyung does. Tells him about different fabrics, styles and cuts, about when to wear what and about his favourite pieces. About human health and common sicknesses.

Jeongguk patiently listens through all of it - of course he does - but Taehyung can't help worrying if the mer really understands it all. It's nagging him, to a point where his overanalysing mind turns it into an actual problem. 

Luckily this one is a problem easily solved.

"Actually... wait!"

He pulls his feet out of the water, hand blindly fumbling for the old towel he always carries around now by default.

"I've got an idea."

 

•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•

 

Jeongguk lets out an alarmed huff at the sudden  movement. At the whole... lack of Taehyung in the water. It feels wrong, wrong, wrong.

But before he can process that creeping sensation of emptiness, Taehyung already continues rambling, the sound of his voice immediately putting a damper on Jeongguk's rising panic.

"I'll be right back. Don't leave, okay? I just want to get something from my room. They always say 'show, not tell', right? It'll only take a few minutes, I'll hurry, promise. And then you get your very own exclusive fashion show."

With that, Taehyung runs off and leaves a puzzled Jeongguk behind.

Fashion... show? What?

Should he be worried?

With a deep sigh that has his gills fluttering, he sinks further into the water and shifts onto his back, always conscious to stay in the confines of the pier hiding him from prying views on three sides. The seagulls are flying high today. High above his head, where he could never reach unless he summons a wave or water pillar tall enough to be visible from everywhere.

Birds, he always thought, are like fish of the sky. Unbound, free to go wherever they want in their respective realm. Except for the invisible chains endowed to them since birth, urging some of them to go to a specific place. Like fish. 

The thought gets him a little nostalgic, reminds him of how he spent a decade travelling the seas and collecting comparisons between fish and birds through his own observations and the knowledge of other mers he met on his journey. It's been good times. Calm days, with him spending many hours on his back and watching the birds above his head just like now.

Seokjin had mocked him for it but Namjoon had reprimanded his partner and told him that everyone who lives as long as them needs some strange and, most importantly, immersing hobbies. Seokjin had shut up then, and it had Jeongguk wonder what kind of weird hobbies his parents might have. He forgot asking about it, when not much later he went to the Mediterranean and watched a huge flock of birds - starlings, he heard the people on a cruise ship call them - darkening the skies. Like a school of herrings.

He'd been able to draw many more comparisons like that, but that was more than a century ago. Most of the memory pairs he created in his head, he forgot the names of.

Jeongguk's vision clouds as he sinks down and lets a thin layer of water wash over his face.

Good times indeed.

He hopes Taehyung will be back soon. Without him, Jeongguk feels lonely in this bay that holds nothing but enemies and emptiness.

One of the seagulls shrieks at him, sounding almost teasing. Jeongguk flips it off. (Taehyung gleefully taught him the gesture a while ago when it was mentioned in a book. They've been giggling like children for several hours.)

But eventually, just when Jeongguk is about to slip into a daze while watching the birds, the first set of stilts trembles in the water. Then the next and the next, until Taehyung swings around the corner of one of the huts with enough momentum to skitter across the planks. Closer and closer to the railing, arms wrapped around a large bag and eyes wide, mouth round around the little 'oh's he lets out.

Jeongguk jolts up and towards Taehyung, arms stretched out and fingertips tingling as he readies the water to rise and form a cushion-

Except, Taehyung never reaches the sea. He rams the railing and cleanly folds in half around it. The bag is the only thing that manages to flit through the wooden beams and land in Jeongguk's awaiting hands.

"Taehyung, are you okay?!"

The man in question can't answer for several seconds. Just hangs over the railing, wheezing and all in all being a sad sight. Like a wet cloth that's hanging on a boat's railing to dry but was forgotten by the crew. 

Still wheezing and with a weak grin, Taehyung gives him a thumbs up.

"Peachy."

Jeongguk shakes his head. Runs a trembling hand through his hair until it gets stuck on some braids. The little strands Taehyung braided for him, one of them new from just yesterday. ("Here, hold this for me. When I couldn't sleep because of the storm last night, I looked up some more braiding tutorials and I'm positive I can do a round braid with four strands now. Probably.") The fresh memory is enough to make him smile, despite how Taehyung sent his heart racing just now.

"You are incorrigible."

Taehyung grins. "Hello to you too."

He unwraps himself from the beam, smooths out his clothes and then makes grabby hands.

"Hand me my stuff, please?"

Reluctantly, Jeongguk does as told.

"Are you really sure you're not hurt? That looked quite painful." With each sentence he draws closer until his arms can rest on the wood as he looks up to Taehyung. "Can I take a look? See if something needs to get cooled?"

"I don't think it's possible for me to cool down when you are around," Taehyung mutters.

Jeongguk tilts his head. "What do you mean."

"Nothing! And I'm alright, I swear. Just got a bruise maybe, 's all."

Jeongguk can't help the jerk of his tail that has his fin splashing loudly. 'Just a bruise'?!

"That's exactly what I'm talking about!"

Taehyung has the audacity to shush him. "Shhh, you don't want to draw attention, do you?"

Jeongguk squints at him. "Kim Taehyung, you little menace. You better really be okay, or so the sea help you."

"Ah, but." Taehyung puts the bulky bag away and then crouches down to boop Jeongguk's nose. "You are the sea."

"You are not playing fair."

He gets a grin as answer. "Never said I am. Now shush for real, I wanna get changed."

"Oh." Jeongguk blinks. "Uhm. Do you... should I turn around?"

The grin turns cheeky, then. "If you want~" Taehyung winks at him.

Jeongguk feels like he is missing something between the lines here. And also, "If I want? Aren't you humans the prude ones?"

"Ah!" Taehyung snaps his fingers and looks very satisfied with the world and himself. "Great use of vocabulary. I taught you well, my dear understudy."

Jeongguk rolls his eyes. Lets the endeared little smile tug up the corners of his mouth. "Whatever."

"Anyway. It's not like you haven't seen me before. So, suit yourself, Jeonggukkie."

The mer purses his lips. True. During the peak of summer, Taehyung had abandoned his swim trunks sometimes. And every single time, Jeongguk didn't know where to look. Part of him curious about the difference in their anatomy and wanting to compare Taehyung's body to his own human form while the other part of him was all too aware that it was rude to stare. Especially at an area that was almost always covered.

He ultimately decides not to turn away, reasoning with himself that he has to check Taehyung for bruises or other wounds.

And indeed, once the human gets out of his shirt, there is a broad angry red streak running across his abdomen. Jeongguk snarls.

"Whoa!" Taehyung gasps. Stops undressing in favour of leaning down once more, eyes big and round like they always are when he discovers something new. "Can you do that again?"

"Huh?"

"That... sound. I didn't know you can make sounds like that."

The words have Jeongguk's cheeks burn with shame. He didn't mean to lose control in front of Taehyung. To show him a glimpse of the beast inside.

"Well, usually I'm not angry," he mutters, avoiding his eyes.

"What, why would you be angry?"

"Because you are hurt!" he snaps. Stills. Rushes to apologise, eyes widening, but Taehyung doesn't let him.

The human smiles at him and stretches out a warm hand until it cradles Jeongguk's cheek.

"Jeongguk-ah." His voice is golden sunlight on a calm sea, warm and soft and all-encompassing. "It will be gone by tomorrow. During my debut days or whenever it's time to prepare for a comeback I already had much worse. I promise I'm fine. It barely hurts. Worst of it was the shock when I crashed into the beam. So stop worrying, okay? It's nothing."

Jeongguk would like to disagree. This is not 'nothing'. Taehyung got hurt bad enough for his skin to show glaring proof of it. Even if it was caused by his own recklessness. But still.

With an undiscernible grumble, he lifts a hand, takes some water with him and wraps it around his palm and fingers, then gingerly lays it at the bruise. Lets the water engulfing his hand cool down with a deep exhale.

"Better?"

Taehyung hums. "Better. Although I told you it's fine."

"It's not fine." Jeongguk's tail flicks again as he furrows his eyebrows and concentrates on treating Taehyung's wound in the only way he knows. "You are hurt. That will never identify as 'fine'."

"Gosh, you are so melodramatic," Taehyung laughs but makes no move to pull away.

"Learned from the best."

Taehyung gives him a playful flick against his forehead. "Brat."

"Tease."

"Are you ever going to let me change into the clothes I brought along, or what?"

Jeongguk shakes his head. "No. Not yet. Give me a few more minutes."

With a loud and exaggerated sigh that perfectly proves Jeongguk's point of Taehyung being just as dramatic as him, the human leans back on his arms and resigns himself to his fate.

 

Jeongguk stares. 

He knows he is, oh, he sure knows. Alas, it would be a sin not to look. Taehyung is explaining it to him and repeating words from earlier, something about a vest and a three-piece suit and some more words Jeongguk doesn't really get. All he knows is that Taehyung looks absolutely stunning with that pearl-coloured suit, pristine white shirt and brown ribbon thing around his neck he's been fighting with for the past few minutes. The fabric hugs his frame perfectly and somehow makes him look even prettier despite covering up most of Taehyung's body.

"Okay, so, usually I also wear a hat to this but it didn't fit in the bag anymore, so, like, yeah." 

Taehyung sticks his tongue between his teeth as he fumbles some more with the brown thing until his face lights up. He lets out a satisfied "Ah," and tucks most of it between his shirt and the... other thing. The vest?

"Sorry," he chuckles. "I usually tie my tie in front of a mirror, goes much faster." He runs both hands over his chest, tugs at the bottom of his vest thingy. "This is the more casual version of the outfit, without the hat and jacket, I mean. Here." Taehyung sits down and stretches out a leg, urging Jeongguk to feel the fabric.

Jeongguk scrunches it between his fingers. It feels thick and stiff, like a shell. He wonders if something like that is really comfortable to wear or if Taehyung feels constrained in it.

"That's a typical fabric for suits. Feels different to the stuff I usually wear, hm? Have you ever seen a suit before?"

Jeongguk ponders the question for a while. 

"Do all suits look like that?"

"Well..." Taehyung scratches his nose. "Kinda? They come in all colours and sizes nowadays but most common are black ones. They cover up everything and you can see very clear lines. And usually men have something like this around their neck." He points at the brown fabric slip.

"Then, I think I have seen some. Maybe. From far away, on a cruise ship."

Taehyung hums and absentmindedly dips a foot in the water - Jeongguk hurries to warm it up, didn't see it coming for Taehyung to get in - and splashes a few drops onto Jeongguk. "Yeah, sounds about right."

Then, just as quick, he pulls his foot back and makes to get up. "Okay. Next outfit!"

Taehyung doesn't get further than turning towards his bag before freezing at the muffled noise coming out.

"What-"

He lifts the flap and Jeongguk watches him going googly-eyed at the furry little head peaking out.

"No, what are you doing here, little guy?!"

The small thing shuffles out of the bag and rubs its head against Taehyung's leg.

Ah, Jeongguk thinks. That must be a cat.

Truth be told, he imagined them to be bigger. 

"Does it belong to you?"

"No. Yes. Kinda. He's Jimin's," Taehyung says while scratching the little thing behind its ears and looking very confused. "What should I do with you, hm?"

The cat purrs in answer and seems not to be concerned about being here in the slightest.Taehyung's reaction, however.

"Is he not allowed to be here?"

Taehyung sighs. "I don't know. Probably not. If he runs away, Jimin is going to kill me."

The snarl Jeongguk lets out at those mere words is deeper and more menacing than his little slip-up earlier. Around him, the sea begins to roll, waves furiously at the stilts and climbing up, up, up the bay, water crashing everywhere. His fingertips tingle where he gathers the sea's powers, then his hands, wrists and soon enough the entire arms. The sea turns steel-grey as it readies for a strike. Even the seagulls have quieted down.

"Not as long as I have a say in this."

Taehyung watches him with his mouth hanging open. Then he blinks, shakes his head and cradles the suddenly much fluffier cat in his lap.

"Jeongguk, calm down! It was just a joke, I promise."

The waves stop climbing up the pier.

"A joke?"

"Yes. Yes, of course, it's just some stupid slang. Jimin would never hurt me, or anyone. Really. The worst he could do is give me a disappointed look and send me out to go look for tiny Yoongi."

"Are you sure?" Jeongguk still has his eyes narrowed to slits. If that Jimin ever dares to harm Taehyung in any way...

But Taehyung is nodding so much now Jeongguk fears he might actually hurt his neck. "Yes, yes, yes. It was just a really dumb thing of me to say, honest. Nothing's going to happen to me."

"...Okay," Jeongguk says. Slowly lets the sea's tremendous powers seep out of his veins and back into the sea where it rightfully belongs most of the time. Takes some deep, deep breaths to will down the flood he's called fourth and smother the waves back into the tiny harmless ripples they used to be minutes ago. The water pulls back out of Nakseongdae bay where it's been bottle-necking and evenly spreads out in the open sea. A few more deep breaths, then his heartbeat has calmed down too. "Okay."

"Wow," Taehyung breathes. "You really do care a lot about me." It sounds almost disbelieving.

Jeongguk huffs. "Do you honestly notice that just now?"

"I mean, no. But sometimes I have a hard time accepting that all of this-" he points between the both of them- "is real."

Ah. Jeongguk knows that sentiment. He gives Taehyung the warm smile he deserves for keeping up with his sudden mood swings - and deserves in any other way, really, for just being himself - and promises with voice much more gentle once again, hands coming up to rub soothing circles into Taehyung's thighs, "It is real. Everything of it."

Taehyung's breath hitches beautifully. They get lost into each other for a delicious moment, the entire world fading into background as neither of them wants to look away or break the silence first.

That is, until a shrill, demanding meow comes out of Taehyung's lap and Taehyung flinches. Jeongguk immediately stares down the little fluffball who's gotten his claws clearly visible buried in Taehyung's thigh.

"You little-"

"No no, it's not his fault, he just hasn't learnt to retract his claws properly yet. It barely hurts, just stings a little bit."

Jeongguk grunts. "He better learn soon."

Taehyung chuckles as he pries the little hooks out of his trousers. "He's probably just feisty because there is no food here. Which." He lifts the flailing cat up until it's eye-level with him. "Which, honestly, is your own fault, mister. Who told you to climb into my bag and stowaway, hm?"

"If he eats, will he stop being mean to you?"

"Probably?" Taehyung shrugs.

Well. Better than nothing. 

"What does he eat?"

"Cat food, mostly. But, in comics they are often enough shown eating fish, so maybe we can do something with that? Although Garfield eats lasagne and I am not sure how realistic that is..." Taehyung thinks out loud while wiggling his fingers around, and Jeongguk has to watch in mortification how that fluffy little devil chases after them with its sharp claws all out. "My grandma's cat was a literal trash can and used to eat everything. But that probably doesn't work with our little guy here because he is still young and not fully grown yet. So he can only eat small things, I guess."

"Hmm."

Jeongguk gives one last warning look at the small thing - which goes completely ignored - then sinks down into the sea, senses branching out. If a flimsy fish is all it takes for that stupid cat to stop being a threat to Taehyung, then he can do that.

 

"Here."

Jeongguk hurtles a handful of little fish onto the pier and watches the cat timidly stretching out a paw, then slinking back when it begins to wiggle violently. All of them are, and one after another they thrash towards the edge and fall back into the sea.

Jeongguk huffs. "Great predator you are."

Then he goes back to recollect the fleeing fish, this time crunching them in his claws until they are no longer moving.

"Try again," he says and slaps the slightly bloody heap onto the pier, right in front of the cat. Taehyung wrinkles his nose but his little companion approaches the offered meal more bravely this time and soon enough he's digging in happily.

"Does it not know how to hunt?"

"Well, usually he doesn't have to," Taehyung is quick to defend the thing.

"Whatever."

"Whatever. Right! Time to get back on track."

Taehyung slaps his thighs and gets up to finally continue with that fashion show of his.

 

Three more suits, some fuzzy green shirt that has no sleeves and gets called slipover by Taehyung and an incredibly pretty, shiny shirt in red later, Jeongguk thinks he really didn't know anything about fashion at all. About what clothes can do, how they can enhance certain features and change the appearance of a person completely.

It's also fascinating to watch Taehyung change along with his wear. Like he slips on a mask and becomes someone entirely different.

"Do that again," Jeongguk breathes and watches with rapt attention how the boyish smile slips off Taehyung's face, how his gaze turns piercing, corners of his mouth turning down and forming an unforgiving line. Paired with the dark blue suit with a belt tightly wrapped around Taehyung's waist that makes his shoulders look even broader, the human looks without a doubt intimidating. Jeongguk has never seen him like that. Like he could do unspeakable things without batting an eye, while standing atop of the world.

Jeongguk   his hips. Just how many hidden facets does Taehyung have? How many layers he doesn't know yet simply because Taehyung never wore the things that bring out these other sides of him?

"How do you do that?"

Taehyung clears his throat and relaxes his posture. "It's part of the image training. As an idol, or any kind of celebrity, you are expected to be charismatic at all times."

"Charismatic." Jeongguk tastes the word and mulls it over. Yeah, Taehyung is insanely charismatic if he wants to be.

He switches clothes a few more times, mostly the shirts and jackets now, one time pulling out a long thing that almost reaches the ground when he's standing. 

"A trench coat," he announces with a silly grin.

It's a baggy, strange thing that swallows his whole frame and looks at least twenty-five sizes too big on him. Or however clothing sizes work. 

The last thing Taehyung pulls out of his mystery bag is a jacket so much smaller than the coat it's almost funny.

"And last but not least," Taehyung announces while shrugging out of the coat, fabric rustling where it pools around his feet, "my favourite cardigan."

He sits down on the pier with his legs swinging in the air for a bit before dipping into the water - Jeongguk got the message and could heat it up properly this time - then stretches out an arm.

"Here, feel. It's super cosy."

And, yeah. Jeongguk can imagine. The fabric is thick, plush and soft to the touch. Warm. He pinches it with his fingers first, then buries his entire hand in it, then pulls and pulls, until he can smother his face in it. Wow. So nice.

Taehyung laughs. 

"You like it too, huh?"

"Mhmm."

Somehow Jeongguk ends up with his head resting in Taehyung's lap, cheek smooched in the now neatly folded cardigan, the human running a hand through his hair and telling him more about fashion and how clothes work. Jeongguk hums contently, tail swaying lazily and fins making tiny splashes in the rhythm with the waves, with the sea. (With his heartbeat. It's all one and the same.)

"How did you get all those beautiful clothes, Taehyung? Did you make them?"

Taehyung laughs, a deep, rich, pretty sound. "No. I wish. But I bought them. Just like I bought the books too."

"Bought?"

So Taehyung explains him the concept of money, trade and work for the next hour or so. Some things he needs to repeat several times as Jeongguk's mind is still stuck on the many new pictures of Taehyung he saw today. On all those beautiful sights.

It doesn't help either that the concept of trade is completely foreign to him. It simply does not exist for merfolk. Mers help each other unconditionally. It's just how they are. All mers are a big family by default. So if one ever needs help and another can do something about it, there will never be any hesitation to come for aid.

Humans, however. They always want something in return. It is strange. Sounds very selfish to him. Which has him wonder if Taehyung expects something from Jeongguk too.

"Is someone's company also part of trade? Where you have to give something back?"

Taehyung purses his lips. "Hm, I guess it can be. I mean. Sugar daddies are a thing."

Jeongguk has not the slightest idea what that means. "Are you my sugar daddy, then?"

Taehyung chokes on his own spit and needs several moments to recover.

"What- no! I come here because I lo- like you, not because I want something from you. Jeonggukkie, I thought you knew?"

Jeongguk is glad he can't look Taehyung in the eyes from where he's laying in his lap. His cheeks are already heating up at the distinct feeling that he might have hurt the other with his words.

"Humans are complicated," he mutters into Taehyung's cardigan. 

That at least has him chuckling.

"True," Taehyung admits.

Then, partly because he wants to change the topic and partly because he is curious, Jeongguk asks, "Do you work too?"

Taehyung hums and resumes caressing Jeongguk's head. "Not right now, not actively. I'm on a break and living off my savings. And what I still earn on the side without having to do something for it with, you know, running contracts and stuff."

"So what is it that you usually do when you're not on a break?"

"I'm a singer." The smile is clearly audible in Taehyung's voice as he says it, the sound of it warming Jeongguk from the inside out. "I write most of my text myself, so that makes me also a songwriter, I suppose. A togetherslapper of words."

Jeongguk chuckles at that, asks him to spell out togetherslapper for him. It's a funny word.

"Could you sing for me, Taehyung?"

He loves hearing that Taehyung sings too. It's a side of himself he hasn't explored in a long while because of the deadly consequences, but truth be told, Jeongguk also loves singing. A lot. There was a time when he was oblivious to what happened when he began singing and indulged himself to days on end, until Namjoon took him to shore and showed him the wreckage. The evidence of what he'd done, the carnage. Yet the urge to sing to the rhythm of the waves was always there. He has just learnt to ignore it for the past few decades.

So to hear that Taehyung likes to sing too - is good enough to earn his money with it, and, from what Jeongguk gathered between the lines, actually famous for it - makes his heart clench in the best of ways. Maybe they can even try to sing together.

The answer he gets to his question is not as enthusiastic as he hoped, though.

"I, yeah, I can. But not here. We should better go to the beach for that, Jeonggukkie. I don't want to draw any unwanted attention and maybe have someone recognise me."

"Would that be bad? If you got recognised?"

"Well, yeah," Taehyung laughs. "I came to Nakseongdae to get away from my fans and other less friendly people. The life of a public person is a dangerous one, and you have always eyes on you. Always. Here in this retarded town nobody has recognised me yet except for one person. And I want it to stay like that for a bit longer. Or else I might have to leave sooner than I want."

"...Leave?"

The word tastes sour, bitter and foul all at once as Jeongguk spits it out. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Taehyung sighs.

"Yeah. My stay here never was supposed to be permanent. My name is powerful enough for me to write my own rules and get a long vacation but eventually I have to go back. I'm sorry, Jeonggukkie."

He kneads at Jeongguk's nape, then at his scalp until Jeongguk lets out a content grumble. There is a shift and a little nudge at his head, and Jeongguk thinks Taehyung might have leaned down to give him a little kiss. Lovely.

"No, don't apologize," he just says. Pats for one of Taehyung's hands to entwine it with his own.

He'll find a way to make Taehyung stay. There is no way he'll let him go to never return as if nothing ever happened. None.

He'll figure it out.

 

•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•

 

Sometimes Taehyung wishes he could tell Hoseok about Jeongguk. But he is not an oath breaker, and that means, no word about the mer to anyone. Not even his best friend. No, Taeyhung doesn't tell Hoseok a single word.

Which ironically ultimately means, Hoseok knows.

Because the sparse phone calls every few weeks where Taehyung has nothing exciting to tell at all yet sounds giddy beyond measure are a dead giveaway that he is hiding something big. Hoseok pointed it out thrice already.

The thing is, Taehyung is sure Hoseok would love the mer. Would probably go on a full ramble about how they are meant to be because 'Ohmygosh, 'Taehyung' means sun and Jeongguk is a literal star, how cute is that' the second they met.

Maybe one day. But even if it never happens, it's alright. Taehyung hates to break promises. He just hopes his friend understands why he is lying to him. Maybe the next time Hoseok calls, he should get a point across. Tell him that it's nothing personal and he still loves him a lot but this is just a thing he can't tell anyone. Not even his best friend in the whole music industry.

Hoseok will understand. He's always been like that.

And his landlords, well. JImin is clearly hiding something from him too, so they are even. Taehyung is not dumb. He knows something is going on which at least his landlords know, maybe even a big part of the entire town. And as long as Jimin is ignoring the elephant in the room, Taehyung doesn't even need to feel bad about not telling him .

Besides, if he's to be honest with himself, he has a worse feeling telling anyone of Nakseongdae about Jeongguk than with telling Hoseok. Something is not right with them. It shows in the way an entire crew of fishermen recoils from the sea. As if it wasn't their most important ally and the thing that keeps them fed, but their worst enemy instead.

Yeah, they are definitely hiding something.