Komorebi

Soulstar - Crashing Waves and Glowing Dreams

Japanese | noun

♦sunlight that filters through the leaves of trees

 


 

Things don't add up on Taehyung's end.

For one, Jimin keeps pacing around him like an over-protective lioness while mumbling weird things about arming and strengthening their defences. Whatever the that's supposed to mean...

And two, Jeongguk.

Jeongguk, Jeongguk, Jeongguk.

His most darling mer.

He has brought him a second gemstone today. This one he couldn't hide behind his back as easily, considering the sheer size of it (chunk is not the right word for it when it looks so stunning but yes, it's easily as big as Taehyung's head).

Now Taehyung is sitting at the ledge of the sea arch where he was instructed to wait for Jeongguk. The mer returned like a minute ago, just to drop this chunk pretty stone in his lap. Quite literally.

Like the first one - which Taehyung equipped with a tiny hole big enough to put a chain link through and is wearing on a necklace under his shirt ever since - it's an off shade of green. But slightly different. His peridot pendant is of the brilliant and transparent kind, at some parts you can almost look through it. Whereas this second stone looks a little bit... butter-y? Translucent, and with muddy colour, small dark specks here and there. It's definitely a different kind of stone, not that Taehyung has a clue which one.

The biggest difference however, is that the second huge- gemstone is nothing short of an actual sculpture. And how phenomenal it looks. Like two breaking waves twirling around each other, and in the middle a bird breaking through the water, beak raised skywards.

Taehyung has never seen anything like it.

Usually he prefers modern art, likes looking at abstract pieces and coming up with his own explanations. Sure, the Old Masters hold a special place in his heart. Yet for some reason the classical or figurative art is often not what speaks to him. He just... doesn't feel it. Traditional art doesn't give him the space he needs to get creative as a spectator himself. (Except for Van Gogh. Van Gogh always goes. And Cézanne. And oddly enough Rembrandt too.)

But Jeongguk's wave sculpture?

Holy moly.

It looks alive in a way stone should not be able to. 

The term 'queering' - no wait, 'queerly', no, uhm, some Italian name... gosh, brain, why - flits through his mind, followed by pictures of an impossibly detailed fishing net crafted out of fine marble. Then they are gone again and he is looking at the stone in his lap that seems like it was molten and then frozen.

And once again the surface is covered in intricate swirls. Taehyung glances at Jeongguk's hands. At the sharp nails of his claws. He can almost see the mer sitting somewhere under the moonlight and carving the pattern with utmost concentration. The idea warms his heart. Of something that might look dangerous, maybe deadly even to some, being used for such lovely things.

Sometimes, if Jeongguk curls his fingers in a certain way, his hands can seem like some demonic clutches right out of a bloody nightmare, from some kind of Lovecraftian entity. But Taehyung knows better. Even if the mer was born with deadly devices as such, it doesn't mean he has to use them for cruelty. After all, monsters are made, not born. And Jeongguk is as far from being a monster as one can get. There is no way he ever used these sharp nails to shred through living flesh and spill blood. None. Taehyung knows.

He keeps staring at those hands as they nervously curl in the water - and can't help but imagine how they would feel on his skin. How tender they would be if they ever went beyond covering Taehyung's mouth and nose for their daily speed dive. His nails must be sharp for carving stone as if it were butter. Sharp, and so, so nimble. 

Jeongguk's hands are still fiddling as he waits for Taehyung's reaction. For his answer to the question whether he likes his gift.

It astounds him. How can the mer be insecure about a masterpiece like that?

If Taehyung-

If Taehyung had his way he'd slide off the arch into the water, cup Jeongguk's face gently with both hands and... he doesn't know what else. Doesn't allow his imagination to stray too far.

For now, he settles for the biggest smile he can muster and a slight nudge of his foot against Jeongguk's shoulder - that subtle and easy touch he is trying to get Jeongguk accustomed to. 

"I love it."

He watches the most captivating smile slowly spread on Jeongguk's face, starting at his eyes as they first go all round and sparkly and then turn into endearing crescents. The corners of his mouth lifting up, up, up until he is showing his teeth and his nose is all scrunched up. Taehyung loves that smile. Like a little sun that shines directly at him. And even better, it shines for him. Because of him.

His heart melts just a little more.

Dammit. Jeongguk smiles at him and he turns into a puddle of chocolate on a hot windowsill in summer.

After a while Taehyung delicately places the sculpture on the warm stone and slips back into the water.

They take another swim together, Taehyung struggling to keep up with Jeongguk's speed even when the mer makes a move to swim ahead. Just so he can stay as close to him as possible. And has an excuse to swim straight into Jeongguk's wake, to have the delicate fins brush against him. Sometimes it's barely more than a whisper on Taehyung's skin, sometimes it feels like dozens of cool kisses all over him. He savours every single touch. No matter how unintentional it may be.

He doesn't dare force himself more on the mer. Is not sure if he is already crossing boundaries with his intentional meddling. But he just... he can't help it. It's the closest he can be to the mer with how things are being between them... right?

 

It's getting late and the sun is starting to spill all its colours over the sky. Which means: time to get back.

Stuffing the delicate sculpture in his bag just to smuggle it past Jimin's prying eyes feels like blasphemy. Taehyung is afraid anything might snap. Or that he accidentally scratches the surface, with the stone seeming much more yielding than the one hanging around his neck. Alas, there seems to be no other way. He wonders if he should ask Jeongguk to help him, if the mer knows some kind of magic trick to get the sculpture to the pier and then home safely.

But wouldn't that just prove how badly Taehyung can take care of his presents? Wouldn't it be insulting?

So. No asking for help. Setting all hopes on his trusty bag it is.

Taehyung just prays his precious sculpture survives.

 

Surprisingly, it does.

Unsurprisingly, Jimin still notices. He walks by Taehyung's room the next day, takes one look, and stops.

"Where's that rock come from?"

Taehyung actually gasps. Hello?! A rock? Jimin has the audacity to call this most wondrous serpentine sculpture (yes, Taehyung did a lot of Googling last night and yes again, that means he only got three hours of sleep but sometimes sacrifices must be made okay) a mere rock? What- the- whAt?!

How dare he?

Jeongguk didn't slave away for nights on end - there is no way he got it done in one go, right? - for Jimin to belittle his masterpiece. That's just rude. Taehyung doesn't know if they can stay friends like that. 

No, honestly. He feels quite betrayed.

That's why he just snaps an angry "Magic, duh!" in Jimin's direction before turning his back towards him.

"What the ," Jimin mumbles but gets the hint and retreats.

Taehyung spends the rest of the evening silently fuming. He swears he's not being biased here, he is super objective about it. Jeongguk's wave and bird sculpture is simply the best thing on earth, okay. 

Also, it needs a proper title. He needs to do some thinking.

 

The evening is getting worse. Well, it was supposed to get better first, with Taehyung sneaking downstairs and snacking away on some doughnuts he found. He is an idol on vacation, he can have all the sugar and unhealthy stuff he wants.

But just when he finished the entire box, Yoongi decided to come home from his late shift. He takes one look at Taehyung, at the empty box in his hand and asks,

"Did you eat my powdered doughnuts?"

His landlord radiates the charms of a mafia boss, so yeah maybe Taehyung is about to piss his pants. He has never seen the older smile if he thinks about it. And right now, with that death glare and his big hands clenching at his sides it doesn't take a genius to sense Taehyung is in knee-deep .

"N-No?"

"Then what's that white powder on your shirt?"

.

Taehyung looks down at himself.

, , -

"Co-!"

Yoongi snorts, snatches the box out of Taehyung's hands and leaves with a muttered "Whatever, kid."

 

"I am such a ," Taehyung laments as he stares up in the sky. He is floating on his back just the way Jeongguk showed him, slowly drifting away from their little shore. Doesn't need to worry about getting lost though, not with the mer watching over him.

Jeongguk swims lazy laps around him while listening to his whining, humming every now and then.

"Why are you a ?"

Taehyung refuses the urge to turn his head, he's learnt his lesson the other day. "Nevermind. Just, it's a fact." He doesn't wanna tell the mer about bad human stuff like drugs.

Jeongguk hums and swims another lap.

"...Hey, Jeongguk-ah..."

"Mhm?"

Taehyung turns over and starts swimming over to one of the rocks. "Is there something else you would like to do today? Besides swimming and reading I mean."

The mer thinks about it, silently gliding through the water next to him.

"I'm not sure. What is it that you usually do?"

"Hmmm..."

Taehyung pulls himself onto the rock and watches the mer taking a hold on one of the smaller bumps jutting out of the water, tail slowly drifting around the rock and towards the shore like some kind of huge algae, fins fluttering. It's a sight as beautiful as ever. Taehyung will never get tired of it. He loves it when Jeongguk so openly shows himself, something he's rarely done at the pier.

"When you were gone, I used to go hiking a lot."

He doesn't say it with any remorse yet still a shadow flickers over Jeongguk's face at the words. 

"Hiking?"

"Yeah, walking through the forest up there." Taehyung points at the trees growing far above them on the cliffs.

"Walking," Jeongguk mumbles and glances down at his tail.

Crap, did Taehyung just drop a brick?

"Ahhh, nevermind. Swimming is very fun too! I bet you know all the most wonderful places in and close to the sea, right?"

Jeongguk nods but still seems distracted.

Taehyung wants to slap himself. That was really uncalled for. Now he made his friend sad. He wracks his brain what to say, hands mindlessly flitting over smooth stone and picking up a pebble.

He halts.

Wait.

"How good are you with mosaic?"

Jeongguk's frown deepens. "Mosaic?"

"Putting glass or stones together in a pattern, stuff like that."

The mer pouts a little as he mulls over it, and oh goh does he look cute like that. Which, what the ?! Jeongguk is already like, the most handsome creature alive, how dare he be cute too? Taehyung can't keep up with him.

When he turns to Taehyung, his eyes have once more taken that depthless inky shade. It's that look that seems to pierce right through Taehyung and tug at something deep inside him. (There may be one day when he grows accustomed to it but that certainly won't happen anytime soon. For now he's just as weak for Jeongguk as he was ever since day one.)

"I think I might have done that before."

Hm? Taehyung blinks back into reality. "Done what?"

"What you just said. With the glass and stones."

"Ah, I see. And was it fun?"

The mer shrugs. "Yeah?"

Taehyung grins. "Then I challenge you to a mosaic competition! On the beach, with all the pebbles you can find."

What better way to kill time than with some little competitiveness?

Jeongguk however seems to disagree.

"Taehyung," he deadpans with a telling look at his tail, then at the beach. "How would I do that?"

Oh.

Right. Jeongguk can't just swim until the water ends and he gets stranded.

Taehyung groans.

"See, I told you I'm a ."

He is still silently scolding himself when Jeongguk's face lights up.

"Does it need to be on the beach?"

"Huh?"

"The moesi. Does it need to be on the beach, or could I also do it on one of the rocks here?"

Oh.

Ooooooh.

Taehyung grins. "Of course you can."

The smile he gets in return is a lot softer around the edges but no less playful. 

"Alright, the challenge starts once you reached the shore. Sound good?"

He nods. And then, without a warning, jumps headfirst in the sea. He has the vague sense of Jeongguk spluttering against the splashing water but pays it no mind. The guy is a mer, certainly he can handle getting a little wet. And Taehyung needs all the advantage he can get against him. Because, again, Jeongguk is a mer. He can fetch all the pebbles from the bottom of the sea in an instant whereas Taehyung has to go hunting for them on the beach that's mostly fine sand and shells.

But Kim Taehyung wouldn't have gotten where he is today if he were a quitter. 

Challenge a-ing-ccepted!

 

Taehyung doesn't know how long they've been on it. What he does know is that Jeongguk shouts he's done the very moment he gets up to search for the last missing stone to complete his own pattern.

He curses and breaks into a jog.

The call from over at the stone arch sounds way too taunting for his liking.

"Taehyung, are you finished yet?"

"Just gimme a minute!"

The mer snickers.

Taehyung walks faster. There, a small wave just lapping at it, he spots his final piece. With a triumphant grin he picks it up and hurries back to the site where he worked on his mosaic.

Well, maybe mosaic is the wrong word. It's not like there are stones of all too different colour being found here. So instead he focussed on the shape of the stones and laid a pretty pattern on the sand. With flowers of various size and shape, leaves sprouting here and there. To be honest, he is not much of an artist aside from music. But he didn't do all that bad, if he might say so.

Just as he adds the final pebble and waves at Jeongguk to come over, a thought hits him. With the two of them the only participants in this however-serious competition, how are they supposed to objectively judge?

And, wait. How is Jeongguk even supposed to come to the beach?

But before he can worry about it too much, the water at the shore pulls back unnaturally far. Taehyung watches in confusion how the water pulls further and further back until it forms a weird bump of roiling liquid.

There is a moment of suspense where the whole bay holds its breath.

Then, without warning, the bump breaks. The water masses rush forward with a loud rumble and there, riding safely amidst it, is Jeongguk. He gets spat out with a powerful torrent and lands right onto the beach next to Taehyung.

Taehyung gapes.

What-

"What the ?"

How?

What did just happen?!?!

Jeongguk just leans over to admire Taehyung's work, with the waves weakly lapping at his tail where the mer is sprawled on the sand.

Like hell Taehyung is going to leave it at that.

"Yah! Care to explain?"

"Hm?"

"Don't 'hm' me, Jeongguk! What the- what- how- I thought you can't go to the beach?!"

The mer shrugs. "Of course I can. But for making a morsi-"

"Mosaic."

"-whatever, I would have to keep going back and forth like that and beach myself every time I bring over new stones. That'd be annoying."

Taehyung gulps. 'Annoying', he said. Not 'exhausting'. Just how powerful is Jeongguk? 

At some point he needs to do some thinking.

Certainly not know though, when Jeongguk is praising his work to the skies.

He is still blushing once the mer gently urges him to follow him to the stone arch. Slightly dazed, Taehyung is about to walk back into the sea and take a quick swim over but Jeongguk once more is ahead of him.

Before the water even reaches to his waist, Taehyung gets swallowed by yet another powerful torrent. He can barely take a deep breath before he's being swept away. Familiar arms wrap around him. 

Not even two seconds later he gets pushed to the surface. When he opens his eyes, they've already reached the sea arch.

He splutters.

Honestly, this guy.

"Please give a lad a warning next time."

Jeongguk has the galls to look apologetic after what he just pulled. "I'm sorry, Taehyung."

"Aish, it's okay, it's okay. Don't worry," Taehyung is quick to wave it off. "Just. Don't accidentally kill me alright?"

"Never."

Again, that overly serious voice. As if the mer just made a vow. It sends chills down Taehyung's spine.

The tension breaks when Jeongguk gestures towards a space where the tides have formed a smooth and flat stone not unlike a table. And there Jeongguk has created his piece of stone art.

Taehyung swims closer.

Although smaller in size, he has to admit Jeongguk's creation is a lot more intricate than his. An alluring pattern of spirals, some of them seeming to break like a wave and some of them surrounded by rays that taper off into tiny grains of sand. Shells of various shape are mixed in too, together with-

"When did you have the time to go gemstone hunting?"

For that's what the colourful stones at the centre of the spirals must be. This is insane. They've been at it for, what, half an hour maybe?

Jeongguk makes big eyes at him.

"Are they not pretty? Do you not like them?"

"That's not the point at all!"

It certainly isn't. Not when Jeongguk's work looks like he spend several hours on it. Beautiful. And so intricate. And. It seems the mer has found his own style.

"You love swirls, don't you?"

Jeongguk nods. "It's what I know best. The sea is made of them."

Taehyung his head and smiles. "It is?"

Another nod. "Yes. At least for me. I sense it in swirls, spirals and pulls - in motions."

"Is that how you knew I fell off the trawler the other day?"

"Mhm. You entering the water interrupted its usual motion pattern. That interruption travelled all the way back to me."

How very curious. Or more like,

"Amazing," Taehyung breathes.

Jeongguk blushes and turns away. But it is amazing, it really is. The mer keeps astounding him.

"A-Anyway..."

Is Jeongguk stuttering? Wow.

"Who is the winner now?"

Taehyung scoffs. What a silly question. As if there's ever been a doubt about it. He smiles at the mer.

"You, you dummy."

The way Jeongguk blinks at him seems as if he's surprised. What an adorable idiot. Constantly shooting way past the aim, putting incredible effort into the things he does and yet still being surprised when he sweeps Taehyung off his feet.

Taehyung is such a goner for him.

 

•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•

 

That night Jeongguk doesn't go on a hunt for a new gift. Instead, he stays up late to look at what must be mosaics.

Many years ago he had just another one of his phases and started collecting sea glass and gemstones - anything that let in light - and filled up holes in one of the caves. It's been one of those times when he was bored beyond reason so he took his sweet time creating pictures of crashing waves. Now when the sun falls through them, colourful spots in all hues of blue and green are dancing inside the cave.

He wonders if this counts as mosaic per Taehyung's definition.

But.

That's not what he planned to focus on tonight. No, tonight he wants to make a wish to the sea. 

"My dearly beloved mother and goddess," he whispers into the endless blue as he exits his cave and dives deep, deep down, "please grant me my wish."

With each beat of his tail, the water around him grows darker and colder. He keeps going until he can't feel anything anymore except for a deep hum that seems to come from nowhere.

The hum intensifies, starts hugging all around him and seeping into his very core.

"Please let me accompany the human I cherish on his hikes."

The hum grows even louder. 

"Is that really what you wish for?" The sea asks. "I do not grant it easily."

Jeongguk nods. "Yes. I would like to see the world how he sees it and join him on his adventures beyond your realm."

The hum shakes his entire body.

"Think carefully, little one. When you leave my reach I cannot protect you. Your powers will dwindle whenever you leave. Do you still want to take that risk?"

"Yes, I am certain." He bows deeply. "Thank you for warning me."

"Then so shall be it."

Jeongguk bows again with a heartfelt Thank you, the movement a little difficult against the strong hum and with how his entire body has turned numb.

As he makes his way back, he catches one last thought of the deep blue empress. Something that is hardly said to him and more like a vague sense going into the world, to be caught by whoever knows to listen.

Everything, the sea muses. Everything for my precious darling.

 

Once he's safely back in his cave, Jeongguk is eager to try it out. He sends the thought into the ever-listening waters as he is just a hand's width away from breaching the surface. 

The next thing he knows, an excruciating sharp pain shoots through his tail. He gasps, tears springing to his eyes as he can't do anything but let the biting cold ravage him from the inside out. More water rushes into his mouth until he chokes.

He watches in horror how his tail splices into two parts on its own before he has to squeeze his eyes shut against the tremors shaking his body, muscles ripping and bones breaking. A silent scream leaves him in a burst of bubbles.

The sea keeps wrecking havoc on him for what feels like a little eternity. It takes forever for his scales to retreat into smooth skin and pierce him like a thousand shards.

Eventually it is done, and he has to hurry out of the water before he drowns, his gills having turned into nothing more than little nubs on his neck. He is shivering and sweating all over. Barely has the energy to take in the flawless legs he now possesses.

Jeongguk doesn't know how long he lays on the stone gasping for air. The moon is high above him as his vision finally clears.

With grim determination he slips back into the water.

Again.

 

•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•
 

Taehyung has not a lousy memory at all. He remembers his landlords fight about kittens and Jimin outright demanding one.

He just didn't expect to run into Yoongi with a meowing coat.

The older is even later than usual, and Taehyung just so happens to be downstairs to fetch himself some water (and look for something he can use to polish his pretty pretty wave sculpture). He left the lights off, both too lazy to head over to the light switch and because he decided to see it as challenge to his own sight.

The door opens slowly with a drawn-out creak until the gap is big enough for his landlord to slip inside, figure hunched over and coat dented in strange places. It's as suspicious as one can get. 

And of course Taehyung is not one to leave it at that. Especially when the coat makes noise on its own.

"Hyung, whatcha got there?"

Yoongi flinches, then freezes at the bottom of the stairs. 

"Drugs," he grunts, then hurries upstairs with his now loudly meowing coat.

Idiot, Taehyung thinks. As if he'd ever buy that. And even worse, the drug excuse seems to be on the best way of becoming a running gag between them.

He huffs.

Great.

 

Taehyung doesn't find anything that seems suited for polishing. But he finally decides on a name for his sculpture.

He's gonna call it 'Free spirit'.

 

The next morning  is filled with incredulous shouts and tears of joy.

This is how Taehyung learns the date of Jimin and Yoongi's anniversary. 

Jimin can't stop cooing at the tiny kitten in his lap. It's coat is fluffy white except for two dark marks right above its eyes that make it look like it has angry eyebrows.

"Oh gosh, he is so tiny and precious, just look at him!"

Taehyung has to admit that to be very true. He lowkey can't wait to pet the tiny fella himself.

"Yoongles, you are the cutest!"

'Yoongles' hasn't moved much from his place at the breakfast table yet, busy with blushing to no end. It's a sight to behold. Whenever Taehyung gives him a knowing look though he gets a death glare in return. Seems like no one but Jimin is allowed to know of Yoongi's soft side. Aww.

"Does it have a name yet? We need to name it! Is it a boy or a girl, do you know?"

"...A boy."

"Ohmygosh he just yawned, look at that, he is so adorable I'm gonna diiiiiiie~"

"...Please don't."

Taehyung snickers so hard he almost chokes on his breakfast.

With a bright smile Jimin lifts the small kitten up to eye level. The kitten yawns again, then leans forward, tiny paws outstretched, and bites Jimin's nose. Jimin just smiles more.

"Aw, aren't you the cutest! I think I'm gonna name you Yoongi."

Next to him, the other Yoongi splutters. "Wh- Can you not?!"

"But why? Just look at him, with his tiny grumpy brows he looks exactly like you, babe."

No matter the innocent tone Taehyung can see the mischievous glint in his eyes alright. Jimin is a ing tease and he knows it.

Human Yoongi already looks greatly displeased about the arrival of cat Yoongi. Taehyung grins to himself and leans back.

Let the show begin.

 

The world must be out to kill him with surprises today. 

Jeongguk can't have read more than two chapters where they're lounging on their boulder together when he shuts the book and asks him if he would like to go on a hike together.

Taehyung stares.

"What."

The mer fiddles around with the bookmark peeking out and refuses to meet his eyes.

"I just thought- yesterday you said you like to go hiking, so..."

Taehyung is still processing. Give him a minute, goshdammit!

"I mean, yeah I did. But like. How would that even work?" 

You don't exactly have legs, love, is what he doesn't say.

"Would you like to try?"

Now Taehyung knows he is definitely missing out on something. Equal parts wary and curios of what's to happen next, he nods.

Jeongguk gives him a secretive little smile. Hands him the book and then tugs Taehyung into the water once he closed his bag.

"Take a deep breath."

Taehyung barely has time to do as told. The next moment he is swept away by mighty water masses once again. He struggles against the current until his body gets pushed into a familiar firmness and he can relax in Jeongguk's hold.

Travelling with that sentient torrent - or whatever else the hell it is - is as daunting as yesterday. This time however, Taehyung has the sense of them moving upwards in a way that should not be physically possible.

(Physics are a lost concept in Jeongguk's presence, he figures.)

It's over almost as sudden as it began. Before he knows it, Taehyung tumbles onto soft grass. He turns around and his jaw drops. The two of them are sprawled on top of the cliff at the outskirts of the forest, with the sea now far below.

What the .

How the .

This should not be possible.

He is so thrown by what just happened - seriously, can't Jeongguk give him a break for once - that he doesn't notice what's going on next to him. But as soon as he does, oh boi.

He can't stop watching.

There is something utterly captivating in the sight of Jeongguk's gorgeous tail transforming, his giant fins shrinking back and scales retreating into pale skin like secret gemstones hiding away from prying eyes.

Taehyung wonders how it feels to undergo such a powerful change. All the mer lets on is a little flinch and furrowed brows. 

A few moments later Jeongguk is laying next to him as a stark man. Looking almost human - were it not for his unnaturally long and sharp nails, for the otherworldly inkiness in his irises and the knobs on the sides of his neck.

Taehyung's gaze drifts lower and he blushes.

Figures. As a mer Jeongguk never had need for clothing. And now the only things he's wearing are his pieces of jewelry; these armlets wrapping around his upper arm and the silver chains spanning all over his chest - a sight Taehyung will never get tired of. His black hair is also nowhere near long enough to grant him some kind of modesty as it only reaches past his chest.

Common sense, Taehyung reprimands himself. You look at his face, and his face only.

With the heat of summer peaking these days he has nothing to offer Jeongguk. Or, wait! If he keeps wearing his trunks... Taehyung rummages through his bag and pulls out the cargo shorts he wore to the pier. Better the two of them being half- than one wearing nothing at all.

"Here," he says, keeps his eyes resolutely at the sea. "Do you know how to get them on?"

"I'll figure it out. Thank you, Taehyung."

Taehyung bites his lip. He noticed that too a while ago. Jeongguk saying his name even in instances where it's not necessary. Taehyung's perfectly aware how it affects him. How much he likes his own name coming out of Jeongguk's mouth. That doesn't mean it doesn't get to him anymore. Because it does.

But if his suspicion is correct and for whatever reason the mer likes saying Taehyung's name as much as Taehyung likes hearing him say it, then well. Perpetuum mobile.

A tap to his shoulder brings him back.

"Is this correct?"

Taehyung turns to give him a once-over. In terms of wearing the garment correctly, Jeongguk did great. The front is where it should be, the button closed, but. The way the material stretches over Jeongguk's thick thighs has Taehyung's mouth running dry.

"Uh, very good," he presses out and offers Jeongguk a hand to get up.

The mer accepts with a timid smile. Taehyung smiles right back.

"Now let me show you the wonders of a wild forest."

 

"By the way, do your legs equal your tail?"

"Huh?"

"I mean. You've got very muscular legs by human standards. Is that somehow connected to your tail? Is it also an exceptionally strong tail by merfolk standards?"

Jeongguk gives him a look. "How would I know that?"

"I-I don't know! Don't you, I dunno, race other mers sometimes? Who does usually win there?"

"...Yeah. And I do."

"A-ha! I knew it! So you are strong!"

The mer snorts - and almost stumbles over a protruding root. "You only figured that out now?"

"Yah!"

Taehyung is fine thinking about (and occasionally looking at) Jeongguk's thunder thighs. Well, it's killing him, but. In a positive way. He's good. What he can and should not think about for even a second is how well-endowed the mer is. It's just been a fleeting glance - he didn't even mean to look, okay?! - but it was more than enough.

And now he is getting ideas.

He shouldn't be getting ideas.

Focus, focus! High trees, sunlight filtering through green leaves, fresh grass tickling their soles, butterflies dancing through the air, birds chirping and some animal rustling in the wood every now and then. Beautiful nature, a salty sea breeze, spotless blue skies, and Jeongguk, Jeongguk, Jeongguk.

 

•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•
 

The stars shine bright tonight as well. Jeongguk seeks comfort in that as he forces himself through the shift time and again.

It doesn't get better, the pain that is. Every single time feels as bad as the first. It's been a long while since he last experienced anguish like that.

The only thing he can do is practise to master himself. He doesn't want Taehyung to worry. He just hopes the human didn't notice anything yet.

So he continues. Lets the sea rip him apart and sew him back together, his strained pants filling the cave.

If it makes Taehyung happy, it's worth it.

 

They continue going on hikes every other day. Jeongguk keeps shedding his tail and fins in exchange for human legs so he can accompany Taehyung. 

But never around other humans, never around anyone else than him. He makes sure they never leave the forest or get anywhere close to Nakseongdae, doesn't dare when it feels like a heavy cloth has been draped over his powers. He can barely hear the whisper of the sea up here.

Taehyung is more than happy to take on the role of the tour guide, pointing here and there and everywhere to tell Jeongguk the name of things.

Jeongguk is in constant awe of the strange nature he sees, but most of all mesmerised by the view of his beloved sea from high above as they brave the cliffs once more.

A sight only bested by Taehyung smiling beside him.

 

Parting ways with Taehyung every evening is beginning to bother Jeongguk more than the constant shifting. He doesn't only dislike watching his retreating figure - he hates it.

The nights have become cold and lonely with no Taehyung at his side. Even more so than when he first left the archipelago and had to grow accustomed to a life alone.

So Jeongguk does is best to keep himself busy. He keeps pushing through the shift, reading his books, hunting and crafting pretty things.

Maybe he should go pearl hunting next.

Hopefully Taehyung likes pearls.