Agathokakological

Soulstar - Crashing Waves and Glowing Dreams

Greek | adjective

♦ composed of both good and evil

 


 

Jeongguk feels it like a slap in the face.

The sudden entry of Taehyung into his realm, that is. The way he jumps into the sea without hesitation, despite the low temperatures and the danger to be seen. There is no finesse to it. Nothing sneaky about how the human goes under head-first, loud and sudden like an explosion.

The mer digs his claws into the sea, and pulls. Launches himself forward as fast as he can, ignoring the strong toll on him, and the way his hands burn with how quickly the numbness spreads from his fingertips. He doesn't have time. Only a few moments, before the cold water can become lethal to humans.

He has seen it up close a few times. It's been decades ago by now, but he still remembers those tiny, spasming bodies slowly sinking down, some of them gasping like fish out of water. It looked different. Drowning in cold water seems to be quicker, and more violent for humans. The mere thought that Taehyung could end up like them, body convulsing before it goes slack forever...

No, don't think about it!

Yet still...

Those pictures stay in his head and refuse to go away. Jeongguk blinks aggressively, tries to get rid of them. Launches himself through the currents even faster.

It's a race against time. Maybe it's already too late. Each second counts. 

Hurry, hurry, hurry!

He needs to hurry.

His Taehyung's life is at stake.

The seascape blurs around him into a maze of grey and blue streaks. He has the faint sense of riling up the water surface with his speed. Doesn't care, not as he feels Taehyung struggling.

And then he sees him.

Jeongguk reaches him before he can dive up for air. Presses an urgent kiss against Taehyung's lips and pushes another one of Asterin's berries into his mouth. The cloud of warmth he brought along engulfs the human.

Taehyung's entire body relaxes immediately. He wraps his arms around Jeongguk and answers the kiss, playing around with the berry before swallowing it at last. Only then, only after he swallowed it and is easily breathing underwater, does Jeongguk allow himself to let go some of the tension clinging to his everything. He grasps Taehyung tight, guides the other's head to bury into his chest, and then cradles him even closer before setting off for his home.

On the entire way back, he listens keenly to Taehyung's heartbeat. Urges the sea around him to do the same - to pay attention for every slight sign of discomfort.

 

As soon as they reach his cave, Jeongguk checks up on Taehyung. First clasps his face in both hands and inspects it closely, then has the sea run its course, and lastly tells Taehyung to strip.

There is nothing romantic about the way he says it. His brows are furrowed so much he almost gets a headache from it, voice stern. Jeongguk needs to be sure. Needs, not merely wants, but really needs to see that Taehyung is alright. Only then will he truly relax - and give him a piece of  his mind for being so damn reckless.

But first he has to see with his own eyes that Taehyung is fine.

Taehyung slips off his pullover at last.

And. Jeongguk's eyes zero in on his left arm.

He is not fine.

The mer clenches his teeth.

Five.

Five bruises.

It is not hard to guess what they're from.

He gently grasps Taehyung's arm and runs soothing fingers over the hand-shaped bruise. Hopes the cooling layer of water he took up might bring some kind of pain relief.

"Who."

There it is, that lethal calm. The same one he felt back when Namjoon told him about the many scars on Seokjin's tail. It had taken everything from Namjoon to hold him in place back then, and prevent him from violently drowning the nearest inhabited coastline. Had the older mer not been more experienced and witty, and had he not gotten help from a very reluctant Seokjin in tackling Jeongguk, the younger would have gone along with his impulsive plan. He's been ready for bloodshed, then.

And now, seeing those bruises on Taehyung together with the tears in his eyes, he is not too far off again.

"Who did this to you?"

But Taehyung, ah. His brave, good-hearted, wonderful Taehyung stubbornly refuses to answer.

So all Jeongguk can do for now is fuss over him. Has to put the cumulating energy of his rage into something more useful, as Taehyung keeps his mouth shut. Even if he hates it. Even if he'd love to go and rip out the throat of whoever put their hands on Taehyung.

...At least he doesn't find any other wounds.

It pulls a weak laugh out of Taehyung, when the mer lifts up his arms one after another to search for bruises in his armpits. Followed by a squeak, when he pulls Taehyung's cheeks apart and checks there too, just to be thorough. Who knows what weird things humans might do to each other?

"Nobody touched me there, okay," Taehyung shrieks. Slaps Jeongguk's hands away, then turns and bends down to peck the mer on the bridge of his nose. His hands splay over Jeongguk's cheeks, warm and reassuring. "I promise I'm alright."

Jeongguk squints at him, at the dark purple bruises shaped like savage fingers. "Your arm says otherwise."

"That-" Taehyung splutters. "I mean, that- that's true. But really, nothing happened. Mr. Park only has a strong grip, you see, and, well..."

The mer's eyes widen slightly. He knows that name. Has it heard being shouted on one of the trawlers multiple times from a safe distance. He memorises that name. Rolls it around in his head like a lose barrel in the stormy sea. And mentally puts a target on Mr. Park's back.

No. That's not what Taehyung needs right now. Jeongguk shakes his head and forces a smile onto his face.

"If you say so."

 

After some more fussing and fretting, a lengthy lecture about the dangers of cold water and an extensive cuddle session, Jeongguk addresses the real problem.

"What happened, little star?"

As always, an adorable blush stains Taehyung's cheeks. He pouts, and turns his face away from where he is sprawled over Jeongguk like a starfish.

"...I just..."

"Hm?"

"I just couldn't bear it any longer. Listening to them."

There is a short moment of confusion before Jeongguk catches on. Villagers - surely there have been villagers in the museum. Probably elders, who tell their stories to every visitor. He wonders if they wait in the museum for customers all day long. If they sit there and start blabbering the moment they spot their next victim. Is that how museums work?

Regardless, they must have told Taehyung all kinds of tales. Gruesome enough to scare him away and have him jump into the winter sea. Jeongguk is still not quite over that certain shock.

But now, that they showed their hand to Taehyung...

"You must have questions."

And Jeongguk is ready to answer them. Even if... even if, truth be told, he feels tempted to lie. To deny the horrid things those villagers accuse him of. He still fears to lose Taehyung  once the other knows what he is capable of, and what he has done. Once Taehyung knows about the things he kept away from him.

Oh, he wants to twist the elders' words in Taehyung's mouth. Until his little pearl can no longer tell truth from lie and will believe the fishermen are the bad ones in the story, and that Jeongguk is the wronged one, the victim. It would be so easy, with how much Taehyung obviously trusts him. Would keep him at Jeongguk's side and have him cut all ties with the villagers.

But he won't. Decides against it. Taehyung, more than anyone else, deserves the truth -  even if it means he'll end up so repulsed he never wants to meet Jeongguk again. Even if it drives them apart. Taehyung is not someone who should be lied to.

In the decades and centuries he roamed the sea, Jeongguk has gained some flimsy bits of maturity and wisdom. Or at least he likes to think so. It's what keeps him from lying to Taehyung's face. And if worst comes to worst, if Taehyung really leaves him... then maybe Jeongguk deserves it. He won't fight the decision Taehyung makes. Somehow, he'll get over the loss, sooner or later.

 

•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•

 

Taehyung tilts his head, and blinks at Jeongguk. Something is off about him.

Of course he could be wrong, but-

Why does he get that strange feeling of defeat from the mer? What is he missing here?

"Questions?"

The mer nods. Pulls the necklace from under the pullover Taehyung put back on a while ago, and fiddles with the pearls hanging there. The pearls Jeongguk himself gifted him.

"Yeah. After what you learnt, you must have many questions." Jeongguk doesn't meet his eyes as he says it. "I promise to answer all of them truthfully. And bring you back whenever you say the word, no questions asked."

"Why?"

Taehyung doesn't like this, man. He doesn't like it one bit.

There is a sad little smile the mer dons when he responds. "I wouldn't want you to think you are a prisoner in the monster's lair, little star."

It breaks Taehyung's heart. Confuses him in the most hurtful ways. Why does Jeongguk act like this? Almost as if... as if the horrible claims were true!

...He doesn't really eat children... does he?

No, no, no, don't be absurd now, Taehyung!

Dread settles heavily in his stomach. This can't be true. No way.

With a deep sigh, Taehyung runs his hands along the mer's strong arms. Splays his own wool-clad arms wide, until he can reach Jeongguk's hands and entwine their fingers. He gives them a good squeeze, and grins at the amused huff he gets in return. Then he wiggles around so the mer's tail slips between his legs and he can take it hostage, clinging to it like an over-sized koala. The little box he tucked into his pocket digs into his abdomen. Not yet. It's not time for that yet. He wiggles some more, then makes himself heavy on top of the mer.

Jeongguk snorts.

"You are not exactly being cooperative here, Tae."

Taehyung pouts. "I don't know what you could possibly mean?"

Another huff, followed by a chuckle. The mer takes Taehyung's right hand and guides it to his mouth, slowly kissing every knuckle.

"What do you wanna know?"

And. Taehyung wants to sulk, he really does. But then again, Jeongguk is annoyingly right. He does have a lot of questions. Like, at least a ton. He's not sure which ones to actually ask, though. So he takes a moment to ponder, before he asks whether the villagers have a justified reason to fear Jeongguk.

It's not that much of a surprise when the mer nods slowly.

"And do I have to fear you?"

His second question has Jeongguk almost doubling over in his effort to deny it. "No, no, of course not!"

The way he squeezes Taehyung's hand is bordering on painful. It's still better than that self-depreciating smile a while ago, though. So he doesn't wince. Just squeezes back, and follows up with the next question.

"Did you have valid reasons for what you did?"

Jeongguk's hold on him slackens. He turns away and gnaws on his lip. "I mean, I'd like to think so, yeah. But. Anybody else would probably say something else."

"I'm not asking others, I'm asking you, dummy! You think you're valid?"

"I, uhm, maybe?"

Taehyung nods to himself. "Huh. That's good enough for me. The fact that you said 'maybe' shows that you're reflecting on your wrong-doings. I don't need to know more for now."

"You... don't?!?" the mer asks, blinking up at Taehyung dumbly.

Taehyung snorts. Frees one of his hands to flick Jeongguk's nose and then tickles his gills until he sneezes.

"No, silly! Did you seriously think I'd terrorise you with questions the moment I see you, then call you a monster and run away? You big goof. Jeonggukkie, really. If I'd ask you any question about what you did, you'd honestly answer me, wouldn't you? That's what you said."

Jeongguk nods. "Of course, always."

He still looks like a lost puppy. As if he can't believe Taehyung refuses to put him on the spot. Laughable. He'd be the tiest boyfriend if he did that, wouldn't he? So he puffs himself up, and declares proudly,

"Then that's all I need to know."

"I... Are you... certain?"

Taehyung slaps the mer's chest. "Yah, don't doubt me, idiot! By the way, how old are you again?"

"I, what, I mean, I, uh... something about two hundred years, I think? My dads would know for sure. But what does that have to do with-"

"See, you are old as heck."

"Yah!"

Taehyung shrugs. "People change all the time. For you it won't be any different. You're a completely different person than a hundred, or even fifty years ago now. Besides..." He frowns. Does a quick tally in his head. If Jeongguk is two hundred years old...

Then there is no way he is responsible for the flood from 1634. And maybe not the one from 1825 either. He'd only have been a child back then, right? So not only is it improbable that he did all those things the elders and Jimin said. According to basic arithmetic it's not even possible.

Those bastards. They can't just chalk up every tragedy to someone who technically has the powers to commit them. That's not fair. It's slander, and unjustified, and, just, well. Mean.

Jeongguk pokes him in the side. Taehyung yelps.

"Yah, what- ?"

"You didn't finish your sentence."

Taehyung purses his lips. "Huh. You're right. My bad."

"So... now what?"

The mer seems hesitant. Still looks unsure, and as if he has to walk on egg shells around Taehyung.

He can't have that. Such a tense atmosphere is the least thing he wants. They've been so at ease around each other. And now a few words from some self-righteous arseholes are enough for a proud sea god to tiptoe around him? That's the complete opposite of how their relationship usually is. The last time gorgeous, fearless Jeongguk had to be cautious around him was almost eight months ago, back when they didn't know each other. This, right now, however. This is worse. Taehyung dislikes it with a passion.

With a dramatic sigh, he flops off Jeongguk and makes to get up.

"Well, I don't know about you, but I am starving. So what I'm gonna do is, 'll help myself to some food."

It's an idea he just recently had. If the mer can control the sea water in any way, then that also means he can boil it. In other words: cooking stuff like instant ramyun is very much possible. They've only done it a couple of times so far, and the first time Taehyung forgot to tell Jeongguk to remove the salt from the sea water before boiling it. But it works. And luckily, Taehyung packed several servings of instant food that only needs to be boiled before he went to the damn museum. He is prepared to camp out in Jeongguk's home for a few days, if need be.

Now he begins to neatly stack the packs in one of the nooks in the colourful rock wall. Adds a few cereal bars, and some other things, together with the water bottles he brought.

Jeongguk silently watches him and dutifully takes up his task as human - or, well, merman - kettle. Has the water in the two cups Taehyung put in front of him bubbling in no time. 

He only steals one bite of Taehyung's ramyun, and aside from that, watches him wolfing down both servings in no time quietly. 

Taehyung shrieks. Calls theft and bloody murder, and pokes his chopsticks in the mer's cheek, demanding his food back. Of course, Jeongguk shakes his head. Swallows the stolen bite and his lips before giving Taehyung a cheeky little grin. Taehyung is so glad to see a hint of the usual Jeongguk coming through that he can't even begin to be mad. So he just laughs. And then makes an effort to guard his precious food from the greedy mer in front of him. 

Only after Taehyung has put both empty cups away, does he ask,

"No, I mean... what about us?"

"What about all the times you said you had the answers," Taehyung can't help but mutter. Stops himself last minute from belting out the entire refrain. That's not what they're here for right now. (Even though a collaboration with the one and only P!nk would surely be lit.)

Instead, he lovingly takes the mer's face in both hands.

"Jeonggukkie, you fool. You still think Imma leave you just like that? Aish, seriously." He traces the stars under Jeongguk's wavering eyes. "You may be old and mighty as hell, but sometimes you are a little stupid. I figured out weeks ago that there are some certain parts of you that you're trying to hide from me."

The mer gapes.

"I... what?"

Taehyung nods. "You sometimes get this really weird look when I talk about the villagers."

"...Oh."

"Also, you're not half as sneaky as you think, with how you pulled me into the water just before Jiminie could catch on."

"You... what? You noticed?"

Taehyung shrugs. "Not really. But I took a well-educated guess, and you just confirmed it, so."

Jeongguk blinks, stupefied. His eyes have gone all round and big, absolutely adorable. Taehyung coos. "It's okay. I think it's kinda cute how you're so worried I'll turn tail the second someone lays a nasty tale about you on me. Although you really have to understand that I won't do such thing. You're not getting rid of me that easily, pabo."

The mer seems to not listen at the last part, too focused on-

"I'm not cute!"

"Uhum~"

"Yah! Taehyung, I'm not! I am strong, and manly, and a very fearsome, mighty, powerful-"

Taehyung kisses the air between them and winks. "Sure you are. My terrific, legendary, insanely cute, mer."

"...That's not very nice of you."

"Yah! To your information, I'm always nice to you!"

 

For some reason, Taehyung's point has still not come across properly. Because a bit later, Jeongguk tugs Taehyung in his lap and stares at him for a solid ten minutes. As if the idol is some kind of riddle he needs to solve.

Taehyung succeeds in booping the mer's nose once, twice, thrice and getting away with it, before Jeongguk reacts.

"Wait, hold up," he says as if their conversation never stopped. "I just wanna get this straight..."

Taehyung wipes a fake tear away and sniffs. "You are using your twenty-first century slang so well nowadays, I'm a proud mum!"

With an eye-roll, the mer pinches his side. "I wasn't finished yet. You said it's rude to interrupt others."

All Taehyung can do as response to that, is pout. Because, well. Jeongguk isn't exactly wrong.

With a huff and a peck to Taehyung's forehead. the mer takes up his thread. And immediately looks like a preschooler who wants to make sure that two plus two equals four.

"Anyway, as I was saying. So, like, you know I am a bad guy-"

"You're not!"

"Hush. You know I am not quite innocent-"

Taehyung squawks again.

"-and yet you still don't wanna break up? You still won't leave me?"

With a deep scowl, Taehyung pulls at one of the mer's cheeks. The little box in his pocket weighs heavier than ever. Time for some bigger piece of blatant truth. If the mer refuses to believe him, he'll have to get even more obvious.

"Stupid idiot. Jeonggukkie. Why the would I do that when you are literally the love of my life?"

There.

He couldn't possibly get more straight-forward.

And sure enough, he seems to finally drive his message home. Because now Jeongguk is blushing so furiously he has to hide behind his pretty hands. 

"Wh-wha... why are you- why would you say that, gosh-"

He is fidgeting and turning away, too shy to meet Taehyung's eyes as he keeps rubbing his crimson face.

Taehyung coos. This must be the first time he sees his favourite mer getting his brain fried. What an entertaining sight indeed. He stretches out a hand for one of Jeongguk's braids he mindlessly undid earlier, and curls the long, black strands around his finger. Time to keep going until there is no way for Jeongguk to ever doubt him again. Even if he has to get as cheesy as never before. 

No, that's wrong.

He shakes his head.

It's not cheesy if it's true.

So he keeps spelling it out for the mer.

"Ggukkie, you are my soulmate."

Jeongguk whines and wiggles around again.

"The light of my life-"

"Stop."

"-my other half that completes me and fills all the holes in my heart-"

"Nooo!," Jeongguk wails, and slaps a hand over Taehyung's mouth.

Taehyung simply laughs and the other's palm.

Sure enough, Jeongguk jerks away. "Ew, what-"

"If you refuse to believe me, then I gotta rephrase my statement until you finally get me. Deal with it."

But the mer shakes his head. "No, no, no. You can't just... say those things and expect me to be fine!"

That has the idol cackle for real. He keeps watching the whining and fidgeting mer, and laughs, immensely amused. "Look who is flustered now! This is how I feel every time you call me your little star."

"Wh- how are you still alive?!"

Taehyung shrugs. "I honestly have no clue, dude."

"Yah, don't 'dude' me when I'm dying!"

 

It goes back and forth for a while, with Taehyung talking in increasingly empurpled ways, and Jeongguk in a last ditch-effort of self-defence holding his ears shut. Maybe he also throws Taehyung into the water twice. But that's only between the two of them, and nobody else's business, really.

Anyway. After a hilariously long time, Jeongguk finally manages to compose himself. And uses his newfound seriousness to ask the next stupid question.

"But don't you feel betrayed or hurt or something similar? By me not being completely honest, I mean?"

"Nah."

Jeongguk halts. And gapes. 

"I... what? Why?"

Taehyung purses his lips. Shrugs, and fiddles around with one of Jeongguk's chains he's been holding hostage for the past few minutes. "Maybe because I have zero sense of self-preservation?"

"I mean, yes," the mer agrees too fast for Taehyung's liking. Tugs his twinkling chain out of Taehyung's grasp to weave their fingers together instead, and adds, "Which is worrisome. And we should probably talk about that sooner rather than later."

Taehyung pouts. "...And because I love you, and trust you, obviously."

With a defeated sigh, Jeongguk slumps forward. Buries his head in Taehyung's shoulder and squeezes his hand. "You really shouldn't talk like that too often if you want me to stay sane, little star."

Taehyung, however, is having none of that. He threads his fingers into Jeongguk's hair, mindful of the tiara preciously nestled there ever since Taehyung re-did it earlier. Holds the mer's head in place as he mutters the next words right into Jeongguk's ear.

"I know you, Gguk. Maybe not every bit of you, not yet. But I still know you better than anyone else here. None of the villagers has ever really met you, right? All they ever saw, was a big shadow in the water, if anything at all. Right?"

The mer hums lowly. a thumb over Taehyung's knuckles slowly, as he keeps listening. So Taehyung continues to sort through his thoughts out loud.

"In other words... that means, all they know about you are fairytales. Stories passed down from one generation to the next. And everybody knows that with those things it's common they get blown out of proportion over time. But of course they think they know all the truth, because no way did one of their relatives ever exaggerate their story. Which is so naive it's almost dumb, honestly."

Jeongguk turns his head and hides a kiss in the soft skin right under Taehyung's ear.

"You are way too good to me, you know? Too kind about all this."

"Nah," Taehyung shakes his head. He isn't. Not really. "I'm merely being objective here, is all."

The mer huffs a little laugh against his neck. "That's a lie and impossible at this point, and you know it."

"You are no fun."

"You know I'm right, though."

"Ugh, okay!" Taehyung throws his hands in the air - and only almost gets stuck with one of them in Jeongguk's hair. "You got me! you! Then how about I give you the benefit of doubt? Does that sound any  better?"

Jeongguk looks as if he's thinking about it before he agrees with a little smile. "Yeah, I'll take that. Still doesn't explain the big Why, though."

"Fine. Well, I mean, it's just..." Taehyung looks around the cave in a search for help. Gets momentarily distracted by the sun filtering through those big coloured glass mosaics Jeongguk filled some of the holes in the walls with. "I mean, look. If you think about it from a modern-day perspective, you're like, a mobbing victim."

"...I'm a what now?"

But Taehyung is sure he's onto something there. He straightens up, involuntarily knocking the mer off, and explains with sweeping gestures, "I mean, look, a whole village is ganging up against you. They've been bullying you for centuries now, to a point where you have developed a fear of humans in general."

"Okay, that's only partly true..."

"No, but seriously! Remember the first time we met?"

"Yeah..." Jeongguk smiles wistfully. "You kicked me in the face."

"Yah, that's not the point I tried to make, and you know it!"

The mer shrugs, absolutely unapologetic. Playfully bites Taehyung in the neck, and only allows him to go on after peppering his entire face with kisses - and then deliberately rolling all over him with his entire heavy merman body. Taehyung tries to take it with as much dignity as one can when being flattened by a giant fish. 

"Weren't you the one to remember me of manners earlier? What about 'we let each other finish our sentences before talking', huh?"

Jeongguk shrugs. Rolls a little further until he's laying onto his side. He cheekily looks back at Taehyung, chin rested in his palm. "That's human etiquette. I'm not human, therefore it doesn't apply to me. And I can interrupt you as often as I want."

"...That's really not how it works, Ggukkie."

"Aw, don't be a sore loser."

With a loud shriek, Taehyung throws a handful of sand at the mer. "I haven't lost anything, you idiot!"

And launches himself on the unsuspecting victim for a tickle sneak attack.

Only after they've properly exhausted themselves and chased each other through the entire cave (and it's a big cave!) with Jeongguk shifting for a total of five times if Taehyung counted right, just to get away from the latter, do they continue their talk.

It almost feels as if Taehyung were drifting on the water surface like back in summer, with how heavily Jeongguk is breathing underneath him. The mer's chest raises, and lifts up Taehyung with each breath. Taehyung actually has to put in some effort to not fall off.

"You were so shocked back then." He lazily traces patterns on Jeongguk's skin. And has a good grasp on those body chains, just in case. Falling off mid-sentence would be pretty embarrassing. "As if it's been ages since you last interacted with humans." He hums. "The more I think about it, the more sense it makes."

Jeongguk at last takes pity on him and rolls them over so they're both laying on their sides. Taehyung immediately takes the opportunity to snuggle into the embrace the mer so willingly offers. His safe space. When they are like this, the things those elders said seem far away. Like that encounter hardly could have happened at this same day. 

With his body and mind relaxed, Taehyung is on his best way to doze off, when the mer pipes up again.

"You don't have to seek for explanations that make me sound like a better person, you know."

Which.

Excuse him!

Taehyung takes full offence hearing that.

"I'm literally not?! Besides, it's just fair to have at least one ally against-" Squinting, he pulls his right hand out from under Jeongguk's back, tries to do a rough tally, and then gives up- "hundreds? Thousands? Honestly, I'm so bad at guessing and estimating it's not even funny. Like, I have less than zero feeling for numbers." With a pout, he tugs his hand back where it came from and lets the mer snicker a bit. "Anyway, you know what I mean. One ally against the whole village."

Jeongguk hums. "So you're my ally now, hm?"

"Yes? Of course? I thought that way obvious, dummy. You'll have to try much harder if you wanna get rid of me at this point."

"I don't want to get rid of you!"

"Then don't? Simple as that."

 

•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•

 

This is too good to be true, Jeongguk decides. Watches that astounding young man in his arms with wide eyes, as he still struggles to wrap his mind around everything.

Sure, he had hoped Taehyung would stay with him despite whatever exactly the villagers told him. But he'd never imagined it to be that easy. To happen that unconditionally, with barely any questions asked. As if the words of the Nakseongdae elders held no sway at all for Taehyung at all. Almost as if he put everything Jeongguk ever said on a pedestal and refused anything else to get close.

It is both an empowering and grounding experience. Never in his wildest dreams would Jeongguk have guessed that a human of all things would love him this dearly.

He briefly wonders how it came to that. 

Sure, he doesn't remember a thing of his past life. But maybe, just maybe, there lays the explanation to the miracle that is Taehyung's trust in him. Maybe it has really been an extraordinary love indeed, even more impossible than the ones which created the other mers, for him to be gifted with someone as wondrous as Taehyung.

The mer only says out loud the last part. Whispers "I'm gifted with you by my side" in the crown of Taehyung's head.

And gets a devastatingly sweet whine as response.

"Don't," Taehyung complains. It comes out muffled against Jeongguk's chest, lips brushing over his skin with the action. "Don't says those things out of the blue. One day, I'm just gonna, like, implode because of your insufferable sweet-talking. I'm so soft for you, I swear."

Jeongguk smiles. Slides his hands all over Taehyung's body and once more revels in the fact that he can. That Taehyung is still here, in his arms. And not back in Nakseongdae to frantically pack his bag and drive far, far away where Jeongguk can't reach him.

He coos. "You are?"

Taehyung nods, his hair tickling Jeongguk's nose.

"Yeah. How am I supposed to have a serious conversation with you when you just make me feel like all these things?"

"Make you feel how?"

"Like..." Taehyung pauses. Absent-mindedly tugs on Jeongguk's silver chains.

(The mer has never been more grateful that he ignored Seokjin's comment about how the body chains were too over the top. He loves it when Taehyung plays around with them. Loves it even more when the human admits with flushed cheeks that they look so y on Jeongguk it drives him bat crazy.)

"Like, I don't even know. Everything all at once, you know? Unicorn honey sugar poop. Heart-flutter bird escapism time. Death by frolicking. I can't describe it. Everything just kinda mixes, and out comes this insanely sweet cocktail of feelings and then all I know is that my brain is mush, my heart is ballooning to three times its normal size and I'm an absolute goner for you. Like, when all the good things fairytales are made of would be a meal, and I had at least five servings of it and am riding a sugar high, you know?"

He does not know, in all honesty. All that Jeongguk gets out of this, is that those things sound really sweet. Except the death part. That one is concerning. Should he be concerned?

When he dares asking exactly that. Taehyung laughs at him. Jeongguk's entire face melts into a dopey grin at the sound.

"No, silly. Don't worry. All I'm saying is, sometimes I get a bit overwhelmed by the truckload of feels I have for you."

Oh. Well. To that, Jeongguk can relate.

Especially once Taehyung fidgets around and suddenly finds great interest in Jeongguk's fingernails. Which is a tiny bit irritating. Because sure, they are pretty with what Taehyung did to them. But Jeongguk very selfishly prefers it when those beautiful, warm eyes are trained on his face and not, well. His most lethal body parts. Then, Taehyung stutters how the mer by now knows about how human weddings work and what kinds of rings there are and what they mean. He needs a few minutes to get to his point, if he ever makes it at all. Jeongguk isn't so sure. He hardly cares, as he gets to look at flustered, rosy-cheeked Taehyung in the process anyway. 

And when Taehyung gets out the small box Jeongguk could feel in his pocket multiple times already and opens it to gingerly pluck out a silver ring with tiny blue and green jewellery inlays while he keeps going on and on about the huge deal it was for him when Jeongguk gave him that one and only piece of his star, well. That's the point when the unicorn sugar poop part starts to make sense to the mer.

He thinks that maybe he's gaping. There is nothing he can do about it, however. Not with how Taehyung looks so nervously at him, gnawing on his lip. He trips over his words thrice as he asks for Jeongguk to stretch out his hand.

Jeongguk, still gaping, all but s both hands right in Taehyung's face. 

The meaning of what's happening is just out of his reach. Words like marriage, ring finger, engagement and commitment float around in his head like flotsam bobbing on top of the waves. Which one is the fitting term for Taehyung putting the ring on the second-to-last finger of Jeongguk's hand? He has no clue. Right now, the mer feels dumb. He is sure in any other situation he'd be perfectly capable of recalling the things Taehyung taught him about this very thing. But not right now.

Taehyung makes him dumb, sometimes.

Makes his brain stop working.

So it takes the mer several moments of wordlessly staring at his now ringed hand to understand that Taehyung did just-

Did he just. Did he... propose to Jeongguk?

What.

The mer keeps staring. His mouth outright refuses to shut at this point.

He needs to sit down.

Wait, no, they're already laying in the sand.

Maybe he needs to take a dive, then.

Just.

What.

Slowly, oh-so-slowly, Jeongguk lifts his gaze from the ring - a sleek, glistening band of silver that has little dents and ridges which almost look like fish scales, and tiny gemstones in the colours of the sea embedded in them - to look at Taehyung instead.

Taehyung, who is shyly beaming at him, which should not even be a possible combination, but it is right now.

"I'm so glad, I wasn't sure if it would fit," he says. Then adds, peeking through bashfully lowered eyelashes, "Do you like it?"

Jeongguk has no words.

He was not prepared for this in any capacity.

So he does the next-best thing, and kisses Taehyung. Deeply. At some point of the ring explanation, there was something about sealing eternal love with a kiss, no?

He must be doing at least something right, because Taehyung immediately caves into him. Glides his hands up Jeongguk's chest to grasp his shoulders instead, his neck, the back of his head, as he moves to straddle the mer and keeps kissing him back just as passionately.

Belatedly, Jeongguk realises he still owes Taehyung an answer.

"Yes," he says as they both gasp for air. "Yes."

And then he can't stop.

Keeps chanting it, drops dozens of 'yes'es in Taehyung's open mouth, even as their kiss turns emotional. 

At some point there are tears running down their cheeks, and then they are laughing, and clinging to each other as they keep kissing countless times.

It takes Jeongguk forever to notice the second ring still nestled in the cushion of that small box. He lunges for it, suddenly anxious to lose it, but pries it out of the box with the utmost care. In hindsight he thinks Taehyung has been holding something like a speech before he gave his ring to Jeongguk. Nothing of it registered in the mer's mind at that point, his entire head filled with cotton.

He doesn't have a speech prepared himself. 

Instead, he leans in to peck Taehyung's mouth, his nose, the apple of his cheeks, then fumbles for his left hand and kisses the pad of every single finger before he slips the ring on Taehyung's left ring finger. When he holds their hands next to each other, they are matching. And when he twists his tail to come closer, it looks like their rings are mirroring the colour of his scales perfectly. Jeongguk gives a gentle squeeze to Taehyung's now also ringed hand, followed by another peck to his forehead.

Taehyung starts crying again.

With an affectionate little laugh, Jeongguk pulls him in his lap. And commits to kiss every single tear away.

"Thank you for staying with me, little star," he mutters.

Taehyung pinches his arm, sniffles, and calls him an idiot.

 

•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•

 

Jimin loves his family. Dearly. But sometimes, he could honestly strangle his uncle.

Taehyung has been missing for two days now, and it's almost midnight. If he doesn't show up in the next seventy-nine minutes, Jimin is going to-

Well, he doesn't know what he's gonna do, but it certainly won't be pleasant.

In a vain attempt to calm down, he calls his uncle for the fifth time. Maybe he saw Taehyung return already and just forgot to inform him, or something.

His uncle answers the phone with a grunt and a "Nuthin' new, boy."

Jimin groans. Pinches the bridge of his nose, then screeches, long, high, and very loud.

"Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh! I told you, he has a crush on one of these- these things! The keyword was 'subtle'. Subtle, not 'go in with all guns blazing'."

"Yah, shut it for a second, brat. Yer also told me to get the geezers on the bench and have him talk with 'em. Did cha really think old Joonwoo would tell him anything but his favourite nightmare stories? With how often ya sat with 'em as a kid an' listened to their stories I thought ya'd know."

"That's why I told ya to only get Hujin, keunabeoji." 

Harpoon in one hand, Jimin stalks through the room. He could've sworn his whetstone was here just a moment ago. Crap. Did the cat eat it? Apropos eating... maybe he should give the little guy another serving. Wouldn't want poor tiny Yoongi-chi to starve, now, would we?

A loud snort ripples through the speaker of his phone. "And ya think I'm taking a ton of orders from a stinkin' greenhorn without using ma own brains? Just one of 'em would'nt've been enough to get yer point across. Unified front, is what I'm always sayin'."

"Bull. All you keep sayin' is that we shoulda haul quicker."

"Huh? What was that? Ya wanna keep yer job on my trawler or not, punk?"

Jimin exhales sharply and bites his tongue. 

"Just... tell me when you see him."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever. The other lads have been patrolling all evening already. We won't miss him for sure."

Jimin really hopes his uncle is right. And that everyone brought enough weapons, should that disgusting monster show up.

It's then, that Yoongi trudges past him with a huge yawn. It looks as if he's sleep-walking to the fridge, but Jimin knows he is just being lazy with his movements. With another yawn, Yoongi ruffles his hair, then scratches the kitten's chin where it is draped over one of his shoulders. Jimin can hear him purr even from where he's standing, harpoon in one hand.

"You still up? Come to bed already, Chim," the older mumbles, now with a pudding in his hand. 

Jimin gives him a judging look. "This is really not the time."

"Every time is pudding time. me if I'm wrong."

Jimin doesn't even budge.

His boyfriend waits a few more seconds, then raises an eyebrow. "Oh? Usually that works a lot better. Don't tell me, you and your insatiable libido have finally been worn out for the first time in forever."

"I'm not in the mood right now," Jimin huffs, crossing his arms. The harpoon is only a little bit in the way. "Have you seen my whetstone?"

"Sure."

Jimin whirls around to fully face him. "Wh- I've been searching for it for at least half an hour! Where is it?"

The other shrugs. "I hid it."

"Why the hell would you do that?!"

Slowly, Yoongi trudges over. There is nothing lazy or sleepy about the way he looks at Jimin now, eyes sharp. 

"Because, Chim." He nudges Jimin's chest with the back of his little spoon. "Because. Have you even seen yourself lately? Do you listen to the way you speak? I barely recognise you under all this agitation. The whole monster nonsense is eating you alive. And you don't notice at all, it seems."

"...Give me back my whestone."

"Tell me one good reason why I should do that."

Jimin flings out his hand, slapping the spoon out of Yoongi's grip. Kitten Yoongi gives an alarmed 'meow' from human Yoongi's shoulder. 

"Because that thing could be killing our friend right now!"

"That's a load of horse, and you know it. If he truly wanted to harm Taehyung, he would've done so long ago. Nobody's gonna get killed tonight." Yoongi bends down to pick up his spoon, careful not to throw the little guy off his shoulder who is already holding on for dear life with small claws. "Besides, maybe he's just out camping or something."

"Without his raincoat and anything?"

Yoongi's eyes widen at that. And Jimin belatedly realises he revealed too much.

"Without his- who gave you the right to search his room?"

"This is still our home. I can do whatever I want here. And I only want to help him."

He doesn't like the way Yoongi looks at him then. As if he were deeply disappointed by him. His voice, too, sounds different as he speaks again. Low and grounded. Ominous.

"You are crossing many lines lately, Jimin-ah. Better watch out, because at some point you won't be able to come back from this. If you want to keep this madness going, fine. But then you can sleep on the couch tonight. Goodnight."

With that, he heads up the stairs. Doesn't look back once as he disappears.

And leaves behind a stricken Jimin, who is clutching the harpoon so tightly it hurts.

He is doing the right thing.

He only wants to save his home. That's normal. It's a good thing to do. Everybody else would do the same.

And if Yoongi doesn't understand how much of a danger those monsters are, then shame on him. It's not Jimin's fault. 

He is doing the right thing.

...Right?