How Warm The Sun Is

How We've Changed

- “Don’t you think she would like it?

- Heu…

- Come, be honest.

- I’m not sure, why don’t you give her something more… traditional, like a ring or something.”

Hyejin can be really… in her world, sometimes. Why the hell is she asking me this? This is such a weird gift…

- “But that’s boring…. Please?

- Hyejin…

- Oh, I’m dumbfounded! It’s you! She’d love it, but you can’t deal with my incredible body! Isn’t it?

- Hyejin-ah! Are you sure gifting photos to Wheein is a good way to say “thank you for being my FRIEND for 10 years”?”

Why am I stuck with this weird one alone? I wish she was the one who went with Yongsun to the grocery store instead of Wheein, I would be having a more peaceful time! Well, actually… Maybe if I went with Yong. Well… Yeah, no. No peaceful time for Byulyi.

- “But I would be covered with flowers… And its 14. 14 years.

- If you really want to, I’ll do it. But think about it a little more, ok?

- Really? Thank you!! Wait. You won’t be a , will you?

- What? No? You crazy b… You know what, forget what I said. I won’t do it.

- Yes, you will…”

Well, there goes my private space. She’s going to be all over me in one second.

- “No.

- Yes… please? Pleasepleaseplease?”

As I said, all over me. But so adorable.

- “… You are crazy.

- I know.

- Why would you gift her pictures?

- Because she loves art. And she loves nudes. But I want it to be artistic, not . Don’t you dare take pictures of me, unnie.

- I could never.

- Are you saying I don’t have the body of a goddess?

- Shut up, will you?”

Hyejin looks lost in her thoughts for a second. I’ll just go back to my daily Instagram check. It’s a lazy Wednesday morning today. We went on a boat trip yesterday, then we hiked for a while, and we were absolutely exhausted. We have nothing special planned for today, we’ll just play around, lounge, maybe watch dramas. Wheein and Yongsun gone to the market, Hyejin and I are enjoying a cup of tea on the couch.

- “So…”

What weird thing is she planning now? Bye again, Instagram.

- “Yep?

- Yongsun.

- What about her?

- What’s going on?

- What do you mean what’s going on? We are all spending our time together, remember?”

Her free hand goes through her thick hair, her lips stick out a little. She looks like she is searching for the right words.  

- “She never told us what she meant the night she came to my apartment. When she said she had to talk to you first. Well, she did that apparently, but she didn’t tell us anything after.

- Maybe you should ask her, not me?

- Sure.”

She’s staring at her feet. Clearly, my answer was not the one she needed.

- “Hyejinie, don’t worry too much.

- Of course I worry, like you said, we are spending our time together, and me and Wheeinie, we can see that it’s not… the two of you. It’s not like before.

- Is that what you expected? I told you, didn’t I?

- Come on, it’s been months now. I know we haven’t seen each other but she’s always in the group chat. And we’ve been here for a week and a half. Are you not going to be close again for real, ever?”

Ah, she’s getting agitated. Wait, is she pissed? Oh. No, she’s getting emotional. It’s been a while since I’ve dealt with an emotional lion. I hope I’m not too out of shape.

- “Come here. It’s a little complicated, I can tell you that much. Yongsun and I, we will never be best friends like we used too. But we are making progress, ok?”

She settled down in my arms. The skin of her forearm is really smooth under my finger. I wonder if she put on lotion often.

- “Ok… I know the awkwardness that was there at the beginning of the week isn’t there anymore, but still. I think she wants you back, you know.

- Is that so?

- Yes. It’s in her eyes when she looks at you.

- I’m sorry it’s hurting you.

- I know it’s none of my business, but… I love you both. You know? I wish we could go back in time, when you were both happy.

- Hyejin-ah, we are happy.

- Are you?

- I’m not not happy. I have a job, I have a roof, I can spend time with people I love. Some of them are even really cute, like you. What’s not to be happy about?

- You forgot the amazing body.”

Here she is. I didn’t do such a bad job at handling her, apparently.

- “My bad. Anyway, I’m sorry I can’t promise you anything regarding to Yongsun. But really, you shouldn’t worry about us, not about me anyway. Don’t ruin your vacation with this, cause we are having a great time so far, right?

- Right.

- So, tell me more about this shooting.

- I was thinking on posing with flowers. At least magnolias, because it’s her favourite. Then with sunflowers cause they are going to make me look so good. I always look good in yellow.

- I see… I’m going to need some kind of reference.

- I have an entire mood board ready.

- Of course you do.”

 


Later that day

I’ll never get better at games. As always, I’m the first one out. Not that I care, it’s one of those card games with too many rules that I forget right away, so it’s really no surprise. But the truth is that I can’t stay focus since my phone rang earlier. It’s not that nothing can distract me from that text message, it’s more like it keeps coming back to me when I’m not busy with something else. And here I am, I stepped out on the balcony with a glass of water to get fresh air and think about something else, and I’m right back at it.

- “Hey. Are you ok?”

Jesus, I had not heard Yongsun join me.

- “Yes! I’m fine. What’s up?

- Really? Your face was saying something else.

- That snitch.”

Loud voices are coming from inside. The game must be intense.

- “Did you lose too?

- Yes, they alienated me. I honestly didn’t understand what was happening.”

Yes. I can relate. I guess she received the same -beating treatment as I did.

- “Do you want me to leave you alone?

- No, it’s fine. It’s work, and it’s dumb.

- Dumb things can be the worst.”

Do I tell her? It might help me get my mind off it.  

- “One of the people I interviewed is saying that they don’t like my article about them. It’s the first time and… as I said, it’s dumb. But I keep thinking about it. I just don’t understand.

- What was it about?

- That’s the thing, it was about a new store that opened in the city. It’s so simple, Yongsun. There is nothing tricky in those articles. It’s basic as hell and I didn’t say anything bad about it. Anyway. Why am I giving it that much importance?

- Hey, it’s fine. Someone attacked your work; I would be pissed out too.

- They say I distorted what they told me. The hell? I wrote it like two weeks ago, why are they reacting now? Oh, and that good writing was necessary in order to be a decent journalist. them, my writing is good.

- What did your boss say?

- I received a text message a few hours ago, so he doesn’t know… I just told you.

- Well, you should probably talk to him about it when you have the chance. But you are doing a great job, Byulyi.”

I hate when people say that. It’s an empty compliment. No, it’s actually worst: as you can theoretically do a great job, then you must be doing a great job all the time. As I wasn’t to screw up sometimes. The pressure, I swear.

- “You are just saying that because it’s me. Please don’t.

- No. I mean it. I read your articles Byul-ah, and you are right: your writing is very good. Don’t doubt yourself too much.”

I definitely not expected that. How long has my mouth been open? Say something, you look dumb.  

- “You are? Why?

- Because I’m interested in what you do?

- Yong…”

I’m not sure why, but I’m touched. Am I getting emotional over this? Like last time, my body doesn’t ask my brain for permission before acting. Not that my brain would be able to respond anyway. Somehow, my forehead found itself resting on Yongsun’s shoulder. It takes a few seconds before my arms link behind her back. A few more seconds, and she is reciprocating, her head leaning sideways, against mine. She speaks softly.

- “Hi.

- Hi.”

For each breath I take, my shoulders seem to fall down five centimetres. When did I accumulate all this tension? And , when is the last time I had a real comforting hug like this?

- “Do you read everything?

- I try to, but I must have missed a few articles. Plus, you don’t work every day so… I’m not sure when I should look and when it’s no use.

- Wow. I feel spied on, just a little bit.

- I promise I don’t stalk you.

- Thank God.”

A shriek breaks us apart. Inside, Wheein clearly won the game, and Hyejin is trying to out-yell her, asking for revenge.

- “Ready for a new round of feeling slightly stupid?

- Never. Let’s go!”

 

 

What do you think so far ? I have a good idea where I'm going for the next few chapters, after which I'm thinking of ending the story, as originally planned. I'm not against trying to write a bit more if it's something you want!

Lots of love, I hope you are having a nice holiday season!