How It's All The Same

How We've Changed

This job will be the end of me, I swear. The wind is freaking piecing through my coat. I might have to buy a warmer one if I’m still doing s like that next year. I hope I won’t be. I’m literally in the middle of nowhere, reporting on the pollution of a small river by who knows why. I mean, everyone knows it comes from the industrial zone a few kilometres away, but the investigation as to be done yaddi yadda… I have to remember to save the environment officer’s phone number when I’m back at the newsroom. Right, the newsroom, I probably have to hurry up… what time is it? 2:34 p.m.? Yep, I do need to hurry up.

A few months went by, and nothing really changed. I’m still earning barely enough money to pay my rent. I’m still making dumb reports. Me learning new things in this job is rare. "Your writing is impeccable, Byulyi", "We haven’t much to teach you"… No . Of course you don’t, I’ve been doing journalism for the past 4 years for god’s sakes. I know it’s my first paid job, but it does not mean it’s my first experience. Well, apparently, for anybody else it is. My paycheck tells me it is. I’m not saying regional news is beneath me, I’m just saying I have other ambitions…but I don’t know how to make them become true. Regional reporting… Is important. It’s just not for me. The pressure the journalists have for the amount of money they make… No wonder they do a ty job. No wonder I do a ty job.

Is it starting to rain now? Great. Just what I needed. At least I have a great interview the guy who alerted the authorities… How am I going to write this? Finally, my car! I’m going to eat in front of my computer again today… If my mum knew that, she would kill my boss.

Ding!

MMM

Wheepup
Nobody forces you to like them, it’s fine

HwaLion
I love kids! But they never love me back…

Ddun
What did he do?

There might be a small change after all. Yongsun seems to keep her promise, even if the fourth of us haven’t met since last time. But when I got home that day, I had been added to a new group chat, MMM. I’m still not sure what it stands for… But it became our new chatting group, and Yongsun isn’t the last one to send something. It’s funny how we had a group chat with Yongsun, then it evolved to a chat without her and then here we are again.

HwaLion
He just ran away!

Wheepup
lol

Ddun
Lmao

HwaLion
-_- Not funny

Ddun
You offer to buy your nephew anything he wants and he runs away… I can see your face from here, definitely funny

Wheepup
So funny

Those three. I bet Hyejin’s face was hilarious indeed. It’s not hard to picture her whining right after. Ok, let’s get out of this village, I’ll be back soon enough anyway, I’m sure I’ll have to do a follow up of this story.

It’s good to see everyone interacting again, but my mind is still made up. I can’t say I haven’t been thinking about Yong since she confessed that she loved me. Actually, I think about her every single day. It has become reassuring thinking of her; it’s like hugging a giant teddy bear. But I know that after 6 years, the Yongsun that I think about is not real. It’s a version of her that I made up in my mind, one that would say things that I made her say, do things that I made her do. The real Yongsun… I have to protect myself from.

Why is this driver in the middle of the road? “Minyu was eating…” No. “Around noon…” Neither. How am I going to start this article? “At each swirl, more bubbles appear on the surface of the river.” That’s good. “Minyu was one of the citizens who alerted the authorities.” This will do. I could listen to a bit of music. Yeah. I wonder what’s on the radio.

 

Wheepup
I have news

Ddun
Good or bad

Wheepup
Don’t know, it depends on you…

HwaLion
Spill it

Wheepup
The beach house isn’t available during the second week of may, but we can have it before

HwaLion
Haaa. Let me check if i’m free

Wheepup
Actually it’s free from the 23rd of april to the 6th. We’ll have to clean up and leave on Friday

HwaLion
Wheeinie…

Wheepup
I don’t care what you have planned Hyejinie, you’ll be there. Tell me who i have to call to cancel your plans!

HwaLion
... I’m free 😇

Wheepup
Yah!

Aish. I think I’m working during the weekend. Is it that week or the one before?

Ddun
Hum… Am I invited? You don’t have to say yes

Wheepup
Yes

Ddun
But I’ll be free if you do
Oh
Great! I’ll ask my boss for my days off then!

Wheepup
Byulyi-unnie, I know you are seeing our messages… So?

Sorry, I’m working… I’ll get back to you


Our annual two-weeks vacation at the beach in Wheein’s family house is already here. I absolutely love it, but I already accepted my schedule for April and I think I’m on duty the first few days.

- “I’m back boss. Debrief?

- Yes. How was it?

- Good. There was no one walking around at this hour, but I managed to meet one of the residents who saw the foam in the river and alerted the authorities. He was eating with his wife and saw it through his kitchen window. I have a good interview.

- Do you have a picture?

- Yes, I have a decent one of the guy in front of the river.

- Perfect. Can you do me a 3500 characters?

- Sure.”

Come on Byul, wrap it up quickly and you can go home early…

 


Home sweet home, finally.

- “Hi Janggu!”

This little boy is so cute. The joy of my life! I’m starving…

- “Are you hungry too? Yes you are. I’m sorry I’m this late again. Come here! I’ll feed you.”

Alright, a bowl for Janggu… I should change his bowl of water too. I could eat some potato chips. I think I had some left… Yep! And with that… a beer. I should watch the news, maybe I’ll get some inspo for tomorrow’s subject for the newspaper.

Ding! 35 messages unread.

Right, Wheein. Do I have my schedule on my phone? Yup, it’s in my e-mails. Right, so… yep, as I thought. Well, it will have to do.

Wheepup
It’s because you are a baby

HwaLion
No. Proof is I love coffee! I had four cups today!

Ddun
Maybe it’s a bit much?

What are we on about?

Wheepup
Hyejin doesn’t like mint chocolate

It tastes like toothpaste. Not worth it

HwaLion
Exactly!

Wheepup
😒

Anyway… I have to work the first few days of the beach vacation, I didn’t plan that it would be earlier this year
But you girls just go first and I’ll join you on Monday

Wheepup
Sorry unnie, I didn’t know either…

It’s fine! I’m free for the rest, so it’s good ✌️

HwaLion
The four of us on vacation… I can’t wait!

Ddun
Me neither!


. The beach vacation at Wheein’s aunt. My favourite time of the year, when the weather is getting warmer in the early days of May. Except this time, Yongsun will be there. The real one, not the one in my imagination. Do I admit I hoped that she either wouldn’t be invited or that she couldn’t come? I’m scared. Yet I’m glad she’s coming. But I’m scared. Of myself. Of my feelings. But I promise the girls and I promised myself that Yongsun’s return wouldn’t change anything, especially not this. So, I’ll see. I guess it will be time to worry about this in three weeks, when I’ll be there.