How Bright Our Future Looks

How We've Changed

Sequel - 6 years later

 

I’m usually drained out after a trip like this one. Let’s see… luggage belt 6, alright. I never found planes enjoyable, even when I travel in business class. Sure, there is plenty of room and you can lie down… but the noise is still there. It’s like a slug, no, it’s like an ant colony forcing its way up to your ears. No earplugs can fight that. Yuk, why did I think about that? It’s disgusting…

Ah, there is my suitcase. Perfect. Now I can walk out of here to live a splendid day! It’s going to be perfect. It has to… Let’s just hope my ride isn’t late. Well, not too late, I should say.

- “Yongsunnie! Hellooo!”

And I was wrong! That’s out of character.

- “Hi Hyejinie! Thank you again for picking me up.

- No problem unnie. How was your flight? Here, let me take your suitcase.

- Meh, too long for my taste…

- Tss, you just can’t stay still, can you? I got you some black tea, do you want it?

- Oh my, yes!

- Ah, don’t burn yourself, though! Do you need to use the restroom?

- No – ouch, it is hot! - I went just before. Can we just go? There are still a lot things to do… Are we going to your place or mine?

- Neither, we’ll head first to the supermarket, then to Wheein’s. We gathered what we could at her place and she started cooking, but we’ll need a few more ingredients.

- Okay, leggo!”


 

***

As Hyejin said, Wheein was already sweating in the kitchen. Poor thing, it’s probably 30 °C outside, and here she is, looking like a nugget wearing an apron.

- “Nervous, unnie?”

She dries her hands with a towel while Hyejin and I put the groceries on the dining table.

- “Me? No… I’m cool as a cucumber. Cool cool cool.

- Gross, you sound old.

- Aish…

- Jinie, we are not exactly young either anymore…

- Shhh… Is this your death wish?”

Hyejin pretends to snap Wheein’s neck, and she just goes along with it. This is not a rare sight, but today, it almost brings me to tears. Almost. It might have if it wasn’t almost noon already.

- “So where are you at? What can I start to do?

- Are you good at rolling the gimbap? I always make a mess. You did buy danmuji, right? Ok, then all the ingredients are ready. The mandus are steaming…

- Ok, I’ll do that. With the gimbap, the kimchi and the meat, it should be enough, right? Should we make an omelette as well?”

Hyejin looks at me dead in the eyes, very seriously:

- “Sure, why not? If you think it’s too much, I’ll take care of it…”

Right, right… If it’s too much, I just can pack a bit of everything and let the rest for the kids to eat. We should be good with that. It’s going to be a great night, right? Yes, Byul like food, and she likes sharing, you have the perfect plan, Yong, you have the perfect plan. I have the perfect plan.


 


One Year Before

It was the fifth day of their two weeks break. The couple took time off work in the middle of April because Yongsun thought it was the perfect time to do a bunch of activities. She was quick to brush away Byulyi’s remark about how lazing around would be really nice too. So, she did what she does: she planned. Going to an attraction park. Enrolling in a couple pilate sessions. Trying up shooting at a range. Spending time at the zoo to feed tigers, because it was the years of the tiger after all. And when she informed her lover of her plan, she wasn’t expecting the reaction she got.

Byulyi wasn’t mad, Byulyi wasn’t happy. Byulyi was tired. But Byulyi loved her, so she accepted. It took Yongsun a few tries before she got the other one to open up about her real expectations for the upcoming days, and when she succeeded, they made a deal. They would spend half of their time exploring the world, and the other half resting.

It was one of those days. The light coming through the window woke Byulyi up pretty late. But Byulyi didn’t care about the time, she cared about who she was spending it with.

- “You are so beautiful. How come?

- Aaah, I can’t believe you still find me beautiful after seeing me like this.

- And I can’t believe I can still make you blush…

- Hey! You never made me blush.

- I’m making you blush since we’re 15, Ddun. Accept it.

- Never.

- Cute!

- Shut up!”

Byulyi laughed and Yongsun pretended to be upset. Which made Byulyi laugh even more, and with that she crashed their bodies together. A habit she would have inside and outside their home, not caring about how it looks. Or not being able to stop herself. When her laughter died, she stayed there, on her side, her face buried in Yongsun’s neck and a hand on Yongsun’s belly. The latter wasn’t fake wining anymore. She had closed back her eyes and absent mindly Byulyi’s hand. Happiness radiated from this simple moment. They talked about random topics, about overheard conversation, about the dumbest news they had heard that week.

- “Don’t move.

- Where are you going?

- Breakfast in bed?

- Nothing in bed!

- Honey…

- Byul, you know I don’t like bringing stuff that don’t belong in here.

- Ok, ok. Is eating on the couch still allowed?

- Of course.

- Then how about we set our bed on the couch, then we have breakfast there?

- I… Don’t know what to say.

- And I love you!

- You spoiled brat… love you too.”


 


Present Day

The gimbap is rolled and cut, the mandu are cooling down, the omelette too… Ok, look like the last thing is going to be packing that up. That, and then get myself ready. Speaking of…

- “Wheein, did you manage to get my dress?

- Yes! Oh my god I felt like a theft…

- Was it hard?

- A little but it was thrilling! I looked like a superspy or something.

- No unnie, she really didn’t.

- Shut up Jinie, you weren’t even there. Argh, so annoying!”

Hyejin smiled, happy with herself, before going back to the bag of chips in front of her.

- “Tell me tell me, how did you do it?

- Well, I had to go when Byul was there, since someone doesn’t want us to have the keys anymore…

- We needed our privacy!

- I didn’t mean to walk in on you two! I’m scarred for life!

- You didn’t even knock!

- Aaah! Anyways. I had to distract her, so I came up with a plan to be left alone long enough to go into your room…”

A loud laugh echoed suddenly. Wheein was almost on the floor remembering the moment.

- “Why why? What happened?

- It was sooo funny unnie, I had no other choice!

- What did you doooo Wheenie?

- We ordered chimaek, right, and it was slowly getting late and I kinda panicked… I pretended like the sauce was hard to open and – oh my, so funny – I spilled it on her hair!”

And with that, she lost it completely. I imagine the scene and I must say, it is absolutely hilarious.

- “Wasn’t she mad?

- She waaas! She whined but I couldn’t not laugh! It worked anyway, she went to take a shower immediately, I had all the time in my life to find your dress. It’s in my closet by the way.”

I should probably make sure it’s not all wrinkled. Before I can enter Wheein’s room, a voice stops me:

- “Unnie.”

Hyejin is still sitting down at the kitchen table, watching us since… well since we arrived, basically.

- “Hum?

- Before you make yourself all pretty, we should go to the shop.

- Oh, crap, I forgot about that… What time is it? Do we have time?

- It’s 3 p.m.”

Wheein makes hands gestures towards her front door.

- “You two go, I’ll pack everything I can here.

- Are you sure?

- Yes. I told Byulyi unnie I’d be there at 6:30, you’ll be on time.”


 

***

Hyejin’s flower business has continued to grow steadily, she owns two different shops now. But even though she divides her time between the two locations, something in the atmosphere makes it still very… her. Well, this one at least, I never visited the other boutique.

- “I don’t remember exactly if this one was in it…”

It’s been a few years since Byulyi asked me out, and, to be honest, my memories of the bouquet are a bit blurry.

- “Well, if she had come here I would be able to help you more.”

- “It’s fine Hyejin-ah, it doesn’t need to be a perfect replica.”

Will she ever get over that? Poor Byulyi, she got seriously scolded. We never dared to go anywhere else after that episode.

 


5 Years And A Few Months Before

A little more than six months into their relationship, the love only grew stronger… and so did Byulyi’s insecurities. She wasn’t particularly jealous, no, but she couldn’t let go of the lingering fear that Yongsun would just get bored, and leave. Again. And the more she let herself be invested into the relationship, the more afraid she got.

She tended to hide all of that to the world but some signs didn’t lie. Yongsun saw them, but she didn’t understand what they meant. In her eyes, sure the relationship wasn’t perfect, but she was not questioning it. Especially not that day, when they both were in Yongsun’s apartment, Yongsun researching some legal vocabulary in Japanese, sitting down at the dinner table, while Byulyi was busy on her laptop, on the couch.

The latter tried to chit-chat, only receiving a few onomatopoeia for answers. “Yong, do you want me to go home?” She wasn’t accusatory, she wasn’t mad. She was vulnerable and it took Yongsun by surprise. She stopped working, they cuddled and they talked. She understood that her lover still needed reinsurance, and that she needed it because of her own behaviour. So maybe it was silly, but she needed something that could remind Byulyi that she was in it.

- “So, I had a specific idea.
- I’m all ears! Tell me.
- I want a plant. In a pot.
- A potted plant?”

Hyejin paused, a hand mid-air holding an alstroemeria she was about to put in a bouquet.

- “I know it’s not the most romantic thing…
- It’s really not.
- …BUT it would be symbolic.
- Care to share? I honestly do not know what to give you.
- Since our relationship started on, hum… rocky terms, she’s still insecure. So you know, a plant has roots and all. It’s something that will last a long time if we take care of it.
- And you want to show her that you’ll take care of your relationship?
- Yeah, that’s it! See, you get me. It makes total sense.
- Ok. You’re weird, but what’s new? Let’s find you a kick commitment plant.”

Maybe it was a weird idea, but they weren’t exactly a conventional couple. Yongsun considered herself lucky to be with Byulyi, all things considered, and she wasn’t about to blow it. So if it took a weird gesture, then she’ll do it. And if it doesn’t touch Byulyi as much as Yongsun hopes, then she’ll find something else.


 


Present Day

- “Woah are you kidding? It’s absolutely gorgeous! And it’s pretty close, from what I can remember.”

If eyes could kill… We would both be dead for a long time actually. Guilty of murdering one another.

- “… But better, obviously, much better.

- I think she will like it.

- Yeah, me too. I really don’t give her enough gift.

- Hm… Unnie, take care of each other, ok?

- Why are you suddenly like that?

- I’m just saying. Oh, it’s close to 4:15 p.m. already, time flies!”

 

***

There are a lot of stuff I forget, moments of my life that I know must have happened, but I can’t really remember. Like the first time I met Byulyi, for example. I mean, sure, we met in school. But when? What were the first words we exchanged? It’s like she wasn’t in my life, then she was, and it felt like she always has been. Well, that makes no sense. I very clearly remember how I met Wheein, though.

Wheein’s little vanity is actually pretty well designed, should I buy one like this? Damn I look y in this. I should wear red more often. I wonder what Byul is going to wear…

- “Wheein-ah!

- Yes? Are you decent, can I come in?

- Yup.”

She sticks her head through the door, waiting for my question.

-“Did you tell her you were going to wear red?

- She asked me, actually, so yes.

- So she’ll choose something matching.

- I suppose so.

- But you did tell her not to overdress, right?”

She fully enters the room and looks at me through the glass of her vanity.

- “Yes yes, casual chic, don’t worry.

- Good, good.”


 


3 Years Before

Yongsun was sitting on the floor on a Friday, in front of the mirror that was just next to the bed. The winter months made her skin particularly dry, so she doubled the effort she put on her nighttime skin care routine. She emptied her can of beer before applying a thick layer of lip balm. Normally, at this hour, Byulyi should be back from work. But it was the third night she wasn’t, because Yongsun messed up.

She didn’t really understand how she let herself be in this situation. It’s like somewhere on the way of their relationship, she forgot how hard it had been to even have a chance at a real romance with Byulyi. How rocky the beginnings were. How long it took to establish trust between them. How fragile it all was.

She started to see Byulyi as someone strong she could lean on. Byulyi was always strong, but Yongsun was very careful about whom she lets in. When they were in school, the two seemed to have a connection. Well, Byulyi seemed like she knew what Yongsun thought or needed. It didn’t take long for that to come back and, as they learned about each other as grown women, the connection grew stronger. Now she had to face the truth: the downfall is that, apparently, they forgot to communicate. And mostly that she, apparently, stopped listening. It , but not admitting it meant the end of their story.

But three days without any news, that was too much. Calling Byulyi clearly didn’t work. Previous fight had taught Yongsun two things: Byulyi’s first move would be to run away, either to collect her thought on a matter or because she was too hurt. Most of the time, fights would be because of a misunderstanding or a disagreement, and she would come back, and they would compromise. Rarely, it was because of her behaviour; she would come back having put thoughts into it and would try to understand Yongsun’s perspective.

Even more rarely, it would be Yongsun at fault. Like this time. Yongsun felt left out when Byulyi turned down her plans to hang out with friends of hers. Well, more exactly, she felt left out when she declared they would be there without checking with Byulyi first, and the latter was busy. She ended up accusing Byulyi of putting her career before her. “I’m finally successful at something I love doing, Yong! Of course, I care about you, I can’t believe you are actually questioning that! I show it every day. I… yes, I work a lot. Yes, I’m tired. Every day I’m making a point to come home so we can spend the night together and I can hear about your day. Lately I feel like you don’t care about mine.” Yongsun had also learned over the years that pride wasn’t important for Byulyi. She didn’t care about right or wrong, about who said what. But if she was hurt, she needed an apology. And that’s what Yongsun was trying to do, unsuccessfully.

Yongsun contemplated the idea of opening a second beer. She missed Byulyi, she felt alone. She messed up and it . Instead, she picked up her cell phone, and stated the thing she was sure of.

I love you

I love you too

Where are you? Are you safe?

Yes, I’m home

No you’re not. I’m home…

I meant I’m at my parent’s place.

Oh…
Can I call you?

I still need a little bit of time

I understand. I’m sorry Byulyi, I’ll do better, I promise.

Ok

So… Should I text you tomorrow or…?

I’ll go fishing with my dad tomorrow, not sure if I’ll get any reception

Oh! Have fun with your dad

I will
Honey, don’t worry too much. You’ll always be my home

And you mine.
Be safe and say hello to your parents for me.
I guess your mom won’t warm up to me after this…

 


Present Day

- “Unnie…”

Wheein wraps her arms around me.

- “I know it’s a special night, but you thought of everything… So relax and just enjoy the moment, ok? Plus, you look stunning.

- I do, don’t I?

- Huhum… now get out of my room. I need to get ready too, remember?”


 

***

It feels like I landed back in Seoul two days ago, or a few minutes ago, I’m not sure. Usually, after a trip like that, I’d be sleeping by now. Today, I can’t stay still. Everything is ready, the kids helped me to pack everything in the car. It’s 6:36, I’m on time. Ringing my own door bell is thrilling and dumb at the same time.

- “HELL…o?

- Hi jagiya!”

Byulyi quickly recovers from the shock of seeing me and I find myself in her arms.

- “What are you doing here? You were supposed to come back tomorrow…

- Happy anniversary!”

We kiss. I missed her. She did dress with Wheein in mind, in a nice comfortable grey suit with subtle red touches. She looks so damn handsome.

- “So… Is Wheein coming?

- No, she’s not.

- Does her gala full of nerds even exist?

- She is on her way there as we speak…

- Who’s going with her then?

- Oh, she has a date.

- Good!

- Isn’t it? We do too, so… let’s go?

- Where?

- Secret!”

***

It took us a little over an hour to get to the camping area. Byulyi loves camping. I know it’s nothing fancy, I know a lot of people would find this borderline ridiculous. But Byulyi is a simple person, she doesn’t care much for big expensive stuff.

She was touched when she understood where we were, she laughed when I showed her the double camping chair I bought. “Does that mean you’ll come back with me?” She knows I prefer big, comfortable hotel beds, so when I truthfully answered “Of course, jagiya”, she stayed quiet a few seconds. It didn’t last long as she listed all the places she wanted to try. When it was time to eat, she was very surprised by the food me and Wheein prepared, then she took her grilling job very seriously. We talked about our week. I served us two glasses of red wine for the occasion. The night is cool, it’s a comfortable feeling after a day of heat.

- “It was delicious, honey. And this is perfect, thank you.”

The double chair is surprisingly comfortable. Maybe it’s because I’m in her arms. We settled it to face the view, facing away from the table, the car and the tent. Around us, the only noise is the one of nature. And a road, a bit further down. I said Byulyi liked simple things, but I still privatised this place so we could be alone. Being a planner as good aspects.

- “The view is beautiful too.

- Do you want a second glass of wine?

- Sure, why not? We are sleeping here, right?

- That’s what tents are for, I heard. Don’t move.”

It’s time Yongsun. You can do it! Aish I’m shaking. Breath… Where the hell did Hyejin put that box?

- “You’re ok? I didn’t know the wine was in the car!

- Funny! I’m just looking for my vest, I’ll be right back.”

Ah, here it is. Ok, seems like Hyejin’s idea worked. I’ll fluff the flowers up a little… Perfect. And this goes in my pocket. Ah, I can’t believe this, my heart is about to leave my body.

- “Jagiya...

- Yong… that’s not wine.”

Byulyi rose to her feet, her eyes a little wet.

- “Are you ok?

- Yes, yes… It’s just… I’m touched, Yong. It’s beautiful.

- I know it’s not the most impressive bouquet out there, but it looks-

- -like the first one I gave you. You remembered.

- Of course I remember!

- What’s happening Yong?

- Why, can’t I buy you flowers?

- You absolutely can, and I love it! I love it, you know, but all of this… is oddly romantic coming from you.

- Hm. It is a little weird, but I wanted to show you how much I cared today. I know I don’t show it enough, and I know that sometimes you need it.

- It’s fine, I know you care.

- Shh, let me talk. You and I, we have come a long way. And it’s mostly on me, I’ll admit that. I know that you say you didn’t have a choice, but I’ll never thank you enough for waiting for me and giving us a chance. Little by little, you taught me how to open up, how to rely on you. I dragged you to do crazy stuff, you bring me out of my comfort zone and don’t tell anyone, but I like it. And I love you, so much. Six years with you, it’s already a lot, but I know we can do better than that. So…whew… Byulyi, would you marry me?”

The sun began to set and the sky is slowly becoming darker. If anything, it makes Byulyi look even more beautiful. She stares at the ring between my finger. She is quietly crying. She finally meets my eyes and wipes her cheek before nodding, her nose crinkling as her smile gets bigger.

Phew, the ring fits. Her lips still taste like wine, and a little bit of salt coming from her tears. Or mine? I don’t know, it doesn’t matter.

- “I love you.

- Me too, so much. I can’t wait to call you my wife.

- Technically, I asked, so YOU are going to be MY wife…

- Ha! I have no problem with that.”

After a few minutes of us hugging, Byulyi makes me sit down and disappear behind me. When she comes back, she carries two glasses of wine and a box of tissues. As she sits down next to me, she clinks ours drinks.

- “To us!”

We enjoy each other, cuddling in silence like we often do. It’s been 6 years already… Time flies. Time flies, people come and go, opportunities and experiences too. Time flies but one thing remains the same: Byulyi.

-”Yong?

- Hm?

- We can’t get married in Korea, though…

- And when did a small obstacle ever stopped us of doing anything?”