Part 9: The biggest prize

[JinJoo] One and Only

3rd person’s POV

Yujin and Yena returns to their seats to watch the end of the competition. Both are hoping for a good outcome for Minju and Yuri.

Only a few more performances until the final break time for the and also the time for the judges to summarize the contestants’ scores. Yujin and Yena are also waiting anxiously as if they were participating in this competition too.

Finally, the announcement of the rankings has come. All finalists are on stage to wait for the results and congratulate the top winners.

The MC of the contest reappears with the results in hand.

“Welcome to the result announcement section of THE MUSIC AND ART CONTEST FOR MIDDLE SCHOOL STUDENTS – NATIONAL FINALS. Surely everyone present here is eagerly waiting to know the final result of this contest. But first of all, I have to say one thing, no matter who won the first prize or who didn’t, it is certain that all the contestants here have worked very hard, they have brought amazing performances, and they all deserve our warm applause, right?”, the MC calls and everyone starts clapping loudly to support the spirit and congratulate the contestants for successfully performing today.

The MC continues: “Although all the contestants did well, I regret to announce that today only a total of 6 awards were given out. We will have 3 consolation prizes and first, second and third prizes.”

“First prize Jo Yuri. And second prize Kim Minju”, Yena monologue.

“No no no! First prize went to Kim Minju and second prize went to Jo Yuri”, Yujin also spoke up.

“It’s Jo Yuri!”

“Nae! It’s Jo Yuri, second prize!”

“Let’s bet! If Yuri wins, then you’ll have to confess to Minju. And if Yuri gets second place, I’ll confess to her!”, Yena is so confident.

“What’s confession? Are you crazy? We can not do that. Besides, there’s no love between us like you think”, Yujin immediately refuses.

“Can’t you dare? Cowards. You even said you don’t like Minju, but you can’t hide it from me. Haha! If you don’t confess, let me tell her about you”, Yena sly teases.

“No! You must not do that! Play, play! Minju will win anyway, you have to keep your word”, Yujin’s trapped.

“Okay! Promise is debt!”

“Promise is debt!”

“Ladies and gentlemen, now we come to the first awards to given. Those are 3 consolation prizes. I will say the names of the winners, and they will step forward to receive their rewards”, MC said.

The whole audience is waiting anxiously, not predicting the outcome because today’s performances are deserving of awards.

“Congratulations to contestant Choi Yoojung!”

Everyone started clapping, while the girl stepped forward.

“We shouldn’t expect Minju unnie’s and Yuri unnie’s names to be called now, right?”, Yujin asks.

“Of course, look forward to it when the MC announce the second and first prizes”, Yena replies.

“The next person to receive the consolation prize is... congratulations to contestant Jeon Somi!”, the MC keeps calling the name and the audience broke into applause again.

“And the final consolation prize belongs to the contestant... Kim Doyeon!”, Yena and Yujin breathes a sigh of relief when the name being called wasn’t their friends.

“A round of applause for our consolation prize winners. Now we will continue with the third prize. Congratulations contestant, Kim ...”, MC stops in the middle to create tension.

“It’s Minju”, Yena looks triumphant, while Yujin waits holding her breath.

“Congratulations contestant Kim Chaewon”, the whole audience starts clapping, and Yujin is able to breathe a sigh of relief.

But there’s something happening on the stage right now that immediately makes Yujin feel the tension again.

Looks like the third prize winner Chaewon is standing next to Minju. And when her name was called, she turned to Minju and smiled saying something that Yujin couldn’t guess from this distance. Yujin starts to have a strange feeling of discomfort from within. And their immediate actions made her suffocate. Chaewon hugs Minju, and... Minju hugs back too.

“Why do you look so nervous, Yujin? Haha, I thought you said you didn’t like Minju?”, Yena laughs.

“Huh? I’m still very normal, aren’t I? No problem!”, Yujin hastily denies it.

“Perhaps because they participated in this competition, they knew each other. And they are congratulating each other as friends. Or maybe something… more complicated”, Yena smirks.

“Yah! Don’t talk nonsense, be quiet and continue watching. Remember we still have that bet!”, Yujin looks annoyed when Yena teases, and Yena continues to smile with a very hateful gesture.

“Once again, congratulations to contestant Kim Chaewon. And now we’re going to the next prize, the second prize. Here’s the contestant who had a great vocal performance in addition to her excellent musical ability.”

Yujin and Yena turns to look at each other, both of them silently prays that they wouldn’t lose the bet.

“Congratulations contestant... Jo Yuri!”

The audience suddenly falls silent, and whispers begins to appear for a few seconds, but soon everyone starts to stand up and applauses the little girl. Perhaps they were expecting a better outcome for Yuri, or they took a few seconds to realize who would be today’s biggest prize winner. But anyway Yuri’s performance was great and it deserves everyone’s enthusiastic cheers.

“Let’s wait and see how our Yena will have a romantic confession?”, Yujin is delighted.

“Okay! I’ll do it, but we didn’t say when, so take it easy”, Yena answered with a “slick” answer that surprised Yujin.

“Unnie! You shouldn’t be so brazen!”

“Congratulations to contestant Jo Yuri again. Yes ladies and gentlemen, now we only have one more prize left. Who will be the one who gets the highest score from the jury of this year’s competition?”, MC tries to create suspense for the audience, but for those who watched this whole final round from start to finish, they have an answer for themselves.

“And the first prize of this year’s contest belongs to... Congratulations... contestant... Yoo Yeonjung!”, The winner’s name was announced and the audience once again stands up and applauses loudly, like fireworks exploding to congratulate Yoo Yeonjung, the final winner.

“What? Who is she??”, Yujin is very surprised by this result, “What about Minju unnie?”, Yujin starts to shed sad tears, maybe she really hoped Minju would win, or at least something smaller rather than leaving empty-handed. Because for Yujin herself, Minju’s performance is the best. But the truth is that she didn’t watch the whole competition, and there were other contestants who gave a better performance in the eyes of the judges and they totally deserve the awards given.

“With such results, can it be counted that Yuri won against Minju? And you’ll have to confess too, but Yuri’s still the second prize so let’s just say we have the same ending! Haha!”, Yena tries to smile to make Yujin feel better.

“But didn’t Minju unnie did a great job? She must be very sad!”, Yujin said sadly.

“Minju did a great job! She deserves a lot of praise, but maybe other people do well too. But the results can’t be changed anyway, so you have to encourage her. Minju would be even sadder if you looked like this”, Yena calmly comforts.

“Nae! I’ll try, I don’t want to make her feel worse.”

“Shall we go out and wait for them?”

“Let’s go, unnie!”

...

In the waiting room, the contestants are preparing to leave, and they also take time to congratulate the winners and comfort, encourage those who had to leave empty-handed. All say good words to each other, and promise to improve in the future.

Seeing Minju looking a bit sad, Yuri goes over and hugs her friend.

“You did a great job! You really tried and worked hard, you are the winner in my eyes!”, Yuri comforts.

“I know I’ve worked hard, and I’ve done my best too, I’m satisfied with that, whatever the result. But I don’t know why I still feel sad”, Minju is confused as to what this feels like.

“Do you want to take this? I give it to you, this is the award that I reward for your hard work and good performance”, Yuri says and presents the medal for the 2nd place winner of the contest.

“Huh? No! It’s yours. You was excellent. Besides, I don’t need it”, Minju refuses, “I’m sorry! I was so sad that I forgot to congratulate you. Congratulations Jo Yuri for winning the second prize! You are great!”.

“Haha! I know I’m great! You don’t need to apologize”, Yuri laughs.

“I’m sorry you didn’t win today”, someone suddenly appears right next to Minju and Yuri.

“Chaewon unnie!”, Minju is startled.

“But in my eyes, you deserve the first prize!”, Chaewon smiles consolingly, but actually she was thinking the same thing in her head, not just words of encouragement.

“Thank you! Congratulations on winning the third prize!”, Minju shyly says.

Chaewon takes out his phone from her bag and hands it to Minju: “Enter your number, I’ll take it as a sincere congratulations!”

Minju freezes for a second and then hesitantly reaches out her hand, even though she thought it would be okay to exchange numbers with Chaewon before, but somehow she hesitates now.

“You should hurry, I have to go now!”, Chaewon smiles confidently and doesn’t seem embarrassed or affected at all by Minju’s attitude.

“Nae!”, Minju is startled and enters her number on the phone, then hurriedly returns it to Chaewon.

“I will contact you! Remember to answer that!”, Chaewon winks and turns to walk away.

“She doesn’t even notice my existence! But anyway, that confidence of hers is admirable, moreover, she’s really beautiful...”, Although Yuri feels uncomfortable, she also have to admit Chaewon’s obvious outstanding advantages.

“Maybe she’s jealous of your voice and talent that’s why she pretends you’re not here”, Minju is trying to make Yuri more comfortable.

“You don’t have to defend her. But we should go, if you don’t take advantage, you won’t be able to see them again before you return to Jindo”, Yuri suggests that they both quickly leave the theater and Minju nods in agreement.

“Let me call Yujin, she’s probably with Yena unnie. I will make an appointment with them outside the theater, we should go now”, Minju gestures, she makes a call while walking, and both of them leave the waiting room.

...

“Yujin! Do you want to meet Minju alone? Let’s pretend we’re separated!”, Yena whispers as if she is afraid of being caught.

“Do you want to go alone with Yuri unnie? I haven’t congratulated her on her second prize yet”, Yujin replies.

“We went to the same school, remember? You can do that later. Take your time with Minju, don’t forget that you still have to confess”, Yena pretends to tease.

“Okay, let’s separate then. But I won’t confess today, take it easy. That’s what you said.”

Ring! Ring! Ring!

“Minju is calling you! Tell her that you wait here, and I have to go buy some things over there”, Yena points to the convenience store at the end of the street.

Yujin gestures “OK” and picks up the phone.

“Annyeong, Minju unnie! I hear you!”

“I’m right outside the theater, waiting for you of course!”

“Yena unnie? She needs to buy some groceries at the convenience store so she’ve gone.”

“Yuri unnie wants to meet her? Okay! When you two come out here, I’ll show you where Yena unnie is.”

“Nae! I hang up the phone!”

“They’re coming out, you’d better run”, Yujin suggests.

“Okay! Wish you have sweet moments. I’m going! See you later!”, Yena raises her eyebrows and quickly turns around.

“Yahh! You should stop making fun of others! Bye bye!”, Yujin answers back.

...

“So we’ll have to say goodbye soon?”, Yuri asks Minju when they were about to leave the theater door.

“It’s up to you, if you want to go with me and Yujin that’s fine, we can stay together for a few minutes”, Minju smiles pretending to suggest, she actually knows what Yuri wants.

“I shouldn’t have come in between the two of you, you guys haven’t had much time together. And... I also want to meet Yena unnie alone”, Yuri smiles shyly.

“We’ll see each other again soon, and we can still contact each other as usual! Have a good time!”

“You too! See you soon, my best friend!”

The two saw Yujin as soon as they got outside, and they headed in that direction together.

...

“Yujinie!”, Minju seems to be screaming.

“Minju unnie!”, Yujin immediately recognizes the call and answers.

“You two are overdoing it!”, Yuri comments.

“Hello, Yuri unnie! Yena unnie is at that convenience store, if you want to meet her you can go over there!”, Yujin quickly pointed towards the convenience store as planned.

“Yah! You don’t have to mean to chase me away like that! I will also go by myself! Bye bye Minju! I’m going!”, Yuri doesn’t need to linger too long because she already said goodbye to Minju before.

“Bye bye Yuri!”, Minju waves goodbye.

“Bye bye unnie! I will congratulate you later!”, Yujin also waves and smiles, glads she could have some alone time with Minju, and she’s happy for Yena too.

“Does being by my side make you so happy? Are you smiling so much?”, Minju is teasing but also a bit shy.

“Nae! You’re leaving soon, and you’ll be far away from me, so being with you makes me happy, even if it’s just for a little while”, Yujin looks regretful.

“Do you want ice cream? Chocolate ice cream!”, Minju pointed to an ice cream stall on the street not far from them.

“Do you still remember? Okay! One chocolate ice cream for me and one vanilla ice cream for you”, Yujin is proud.

“Let’s go!”, Minju smiles, remembering each other’s favorite ice cream flavors as children isn’t such a big deal, but it’s enough to warm her heart because it reminds her of the memory.

...

“Hmm… Annyeong, Yena unnie!”, Yuri shyly approaches while Yena is looking at the confectionery in the convenience store.

“Huh? Yuri? I think you’re going with Minju right now. Why are you here?”, Yena tried to restrain herself from grinning when she saw Yuri. This split is indeed Yena’s intention, but she herself is not sure that Yuri will dare to meet her here alone. Yena wanted to have some time with Yuri, but she didn’t dare to ask, so she came up with this plan, it really needs Yuri’s initiative to succeed. If Yuri is shy and doesn’t dare to meet Yena, but goes with Minju, she will have to accept defeat. Looks like Yuri is still a bit braver than Yena and Yena got lucky.

“I just happened to be passing by. I didn’t expect to see you here!”, even though she had the courage to meet Yena, Yuri is still a bit embarrassed.

“I feels a little hungry. What do you want to eat? Shall we have a meal together? I will invite”, Yena continues to follow her plan.

“Nae! Thank you!”, today is such a happy day, Yuri thought to herself.

“You choose the dish then go out and wait for me! I will be the one to serve”, Yena winks.

“... Nae!”, Yuri couldn’t say anything more.

After choosing what she wanted to eat, Yuri returns to the table and eagerly waits.

A few minutes later Yena begins to bring each food one by one, although they are just ordinary food in a convenience store, but for Yuri right now, it’s no different from the delicious taste served in 5 star restaurants.

And the last thing Yena serves, is a large chocolate bar, the best in this shop.

Yuri is surprised: “This! I didn’t choose it”.

“That’s what I give you! Congratulations on getting second place! You sing very well!”, Yena takes Yuri’s hand and puts the chocolate bar in it.

“Yena unnie... thank you!”, Yuri says with a touching heart.

“Let’s eat together! The food will cool!”

“Nae! This is the award I want the most!”

“Huh? What do you say?”

“Nothing! Let’s just eat!”

...

“Are you sure you have to go today?”, Yujin asks sadly.

“Uhm! I still have to go to school tomorrow! Moreover, my dad is just convenient to go on bussiness and bring me to participate in the contest today. Dad also doesn’t want mom to be alone at home for long”, Minju replies regretfully.

“Unfortunately, you was unable to win the contest. Don’t be sad, you did a great job. For me, your performance is number one!”, Yujin is also very sad when Minju didn’t get any award. Although she didn’t expect anything from this morning, but suddenly seeing Minju perform, to Yujin, it was like a miracle. But it wasn’t perfect.

“No! I’m so glad I managed to make it to this final round, and I’ve already won the biggest prize”, Minju not only doesn’t look sad, but also smiles brightly.

“Huh? The fact that you did your best is the biggest award for you, isn’t it?”, Yujin has a question.

“No, it’s not. The biggest award for me is you!”, Minju is shy, and Yujin is confused.

“Because of my efforts, I was able to come here today and meet you. This is already great for me, I don’t need any more awards!”, Minju continues and she embarrassed Yujin.

“So you have to bring me home!”, Yujin returns to her slyness.

“Yaah! Are you crazy? How can I bring you home?”, Minju rolls her eyes.

“Then you went to the contest and won the biggest prize, shouldn’t you take it home?”

“You stay here obediently, I will come see you. Do not worried!”

“But I don’t want to leave you, we just met again, and it doesn’t even last a day.”

“Next time we meet again, it will be longer! And I plan to bring you another surprise! Try to wait for me!”

“What? What’s the surprise? Tell me!”

“I can not! That’s just what I plan to do, not sure if I can do it when we meet again, but I’ll try!”

“Okay! I’ll wait!”

“Uhm! Good!”

Beep! Beep!

The sound of a car horn coming from a car approaching the two.

“That’s my dad. I have to go!”, Minju regrets that their time is not enough to make up for the long-standing nostalgia.

“Nae! I will miss you so much! But I’ll wait, because you’ll definitely come back, right?”, Yujin is sad before the breakup but still able to stay strong thanks to Minju’s promise.

“Uhm! Although I may not be able to bring that surprise to you, I will be back! I definitely won’t break my promise again!”

“Keep in touch often, unnie! Don’t make me come to find you because you don’t answer my calls or texts!”

“I know. Let’s keep in touch often, and share many things with each other. Take care of your health Yujnnie!”

Yujin hugs Minju: “You have to take care of your health too! Goodbye! Text me as soon as you get back!”

“Uhm! I’m going! Bye bye Yujinie!”

“Bye bye Minju unnie!”

Yujin bows as Minju’s father gets out of the car and goes over to pick up his daughter. He also smiles back.

And Minju keeps waving at Yujin until she gets into the car.

Yujin also waves back until the car was out of her sight.