Part 10: New path

[JinJoo] One and Only

3rd person’s POV

Time has slowly passed since Yujin and Minju said goodbye that day, all is almost 2 years. Yujin is now getting ready to enter the final year of junior high school and is actively training towards the athletics tournament of the city, she will participate in the 100m sprints. Minju also heard from Yujin about how she was forced to join the school’s track team. That at the beginning of last school year, when Yena ceded the No. 1 position of disruptive in school to her to move on to high school, Yujin had to work hard to deserve that title. Partly because she always feel empty, she play tricks to not get bored, partly it’s because there are so many things that make her uncomfortable when she goes to school. After setting a trap for the PE teacher before class and getting him wet because a bucket of water was placed on the door of the gymnasium, she ran away from the ruler in the teacher’s hand with an amazing speed. Of course Yujin couldn’t run forever, the next day, she was called to the principal’s office and was ordered to clean the gymnasium every week for the entire semester. Luckily for Yujin, the PE teacher made an offer if she joins the track team, he would ask the principal to remove that punishment. And even more fortunate, Yujin proved to be very suitable for running, whether it’s endurance sprints or longer distances. She also love the feeling of being on the running track, lets herself in with the air and the breeze, enjoys the feeling of being healthy and strong from the muscles and the beat of the heart. These things make Yujin more confident and being the ace in the team makes her proud of herself. But at the tournament last year, when Yujin just got into the team, despite her best efforts, she couldn’t bring a single medal back to the school, so now she’s focusing all her attention on preparing for the upcoming competition.

Yujin also often shares with Minju about many other things, but mostly it’s just the good things, the things that make her happy. And Minju too, both secretly thought to bring joy to the other instead of making each other sad and worried. They usually communicate with each other by texting and calling, they send each other presents for Christmas, and only met once during the mid-term break last school year, when they both had time and by chance Minju’s parents were also free for a few days.

 

Minju’s POV

Compared to the station in Jindo, this is dozens of times more crowded. Going to Seoul alone by train scared me, I bravely went through it too, but standing in the middle of a strange crowd like this, while not knowing which direction to go, scared me many times more than I imagined. Since I was a kid, I was often told not to talk to strangers, plus I don’t like noise, and I don’t like meeting anyone, I usually do my favorite things alone or with people close to me, so now I’m very scared if a stranger tries to get close to me with any intentions, good or bad. I should contact Yuri quickly, she’s probably somewhere nearby, because when I was about to reach the station, I informed her to come pick me up.

“Annyeong! Have you come? Where are you? I’ll be right there!”, Yuri’s voice came from the other end of the line.

“Oh! I just arrived, I’m probably at door 2, there’s a sign here that says that! Do you know it?”, i answer.

“OK! I know! Wait for me! Looks like I need a few more minutes to get there, traffic jam”, it doesn’t sound good, but this is Seoul, I can’t blame her.

“I will wait! But you have to hurry, I don’t want to miss Yujin’s practice this morning! I want to see her run.”

“If you miss, she wouldn’t blame you. Anyway, she didn’t know that you were here today. So please don’t rush it, cars don’t fly! ... “, before I could answer, Yuri hung up. I Hope I won’t have to wait too long.

This time I’m not here to visit my Seoul friends on the last days of my summer vacation before entering the new school year, but I will be here always with them. I’ll be in high school, and possibly university in Seoul. I think that now I can start trying to be more independent, bolder and fix my afraid to communicate, shy personality in this capital. To become a musical person, performing on stage in front of the audience, I can’t be afraid forever. I am very grateful to my parents for supporting my dreams and choices. And of course I’m also very grateful for the ATM card they gave me last night, it will help me live here until I finish my studies and get a decent job.

Suddenly someone comes close and trips over the suitcase causing it to hit my leg.

“Oops! I’m sorry! Are you OK?”, I am looking down to see if I was injured when I hear a familiar voice, but I couldn’t immediately recognize it.

“Yes it’s okay!”, I look up at the person who caused the collision, it’s Chaewon unnie. Unexpectedly, I met her here, although we still keep in touch, but usually it’s only by text message, I’ve never talked on the phone, so I didn’t recognize her voice.

“Minju! I didn’t hurt you, did I? Sorry I was in a hurry so I wasn’t careful!”, Chaewon’s face is clearly showing that she regrets not paying attention to the way.

“I’m fine, no scratches!”, I smile so that she could feel secure that she can continue, I don’t want her to be held back for too long. There are still many opportunities to meet each other, but now she’s in a hurry.

“What are you doing here? Have time? I’ll offer you a cup of coffee!”, Chaewon unnie suddenly invites.

“Didn’t you say you were in a hurry? But I can’t drink coffee!”

“Then you can eat or drink whatever you want! I’m not in a hurry anymore”, she shrugs and smiles.

“Yuri will come pick me up in a few minutes”, I reply.

“The coffee shop is right here, your friend hasn’t come yet, we still have time”, it seems like I can’t say no anymore.

“Nae!”

 

3rd person’s POV

While chatting at the coffee shop, Minju talked about why she was here, and Chaewon seemed happy about it. A few minutes later, Yuri called, and Minju went back to her old location to meet her friend.

“Yaah! Kim Minju! You told me to come here quickly because you don’t want to wait long, and when I do, I’m be the one waiting!”, Yuri says loudly as if she was really annoyed.

“Jo Yuri! Come here, let me hug you!”, Minju runs over and hugs her shorter friend.

Yuri hugs Minju too, but then she pinch her friend’s waist and made Minju scream.

“AHHH! Is that how you greet your friend?”, Minju grimaces.

“You deserved it! Let’s go!”

Yuri leads the way and they both heads to the parking lot, where Yuri’s Porsche and a private driver are waiting.

“I’m so lucky I have a rich friend! Thank you, Yuri-ah! I love you!”

“Quit flattery. Do you want me to change my mind and let you out on the street? From now on, don’t mess with me, and listen to me, you know?”, Yuri raises her voice.

“Nae! Sarang hae!”, Minju laughs and flirts while Yuri tries not to laugh.

Half an hour later, the Porsche also arrives at Yuri’s house, still the big house that Minju’s family had the opportunity to visit.

“From today on this will be your new home!”, Yuri says as they both got off the car.

Minju hugs her friend again, this time a tighter and more sincere hug: “Thank you!”

“You can thank my family later tonight, at the welcome party, and then you’ll be a new member too! But now we should put away your things quickly, unless you don’t want to go to Yujin’s school”, Yuri replies, startling Minju.

“Oops! I suddenly forgot!”

“And in the end, Yujin is the most important”, Yuri chuckles.