Part 11: Unpleasant feeling

[JinJoo] One and Only

Yujin’s P.O.V

Inhale ... Exhale ...

This run must definitely surpass yesterday’s performance, I must work harder. Although it is a personal record for me, but that number of 12.52s is only equal to the achievement of the gold medal last year, surely my competitors will not accept and stop there, maybe they have achieved such lower numbers by now.

“Yujin unnie! Fighting!”, that’s annoying girl again. I’ve shown that I don’t like her many times, but maybe I wasn’t decisive enough to make her hurt and give up, so Wonyoung still clings to me the whole time, so stubborn.

 

Wonyoung is a student who transferred to my school last year. She’s annoying, but I can’t help but recognize her as a beautiful girl. Everyone says that Wonyoung is cute, kind, and has a lot of charms. A lot of other students both boys and girls have a crush on Wonyoung and want her attention. She’s a crush of many people but I don’t understand why she keeps clinging to me. I don’t mean to criticize Wonyoung or belittle her feelings. It’s just that I can’t reciprocate that feelings, and the fact that she’s constantly clinging makes me feel a bit uncomfortable.

But now I shouldn’t think about anything other than running well, I need to focus.

Inhale ... Exhale ...

“Ready!”

Bang!

And so I start out with all my strength put into my feet, I’m letting my mind go blank, focusing on breathing in the right rhythm. I feel like I’m running through the wind, I feel like I’m faster than yesterday.

And the finish line.

As usual, I was the first to cross the line. But being the fastest on the team doesn’t matter if the number is not less than 12.52s.

“Wow! Yujin-ah! You did it!”, coach Heechul, who is also my PE teacher, shouts loudly and is running towards me.

“You did well! 12,19s! It’s great, Yujin-ah!”, he hugs me and says.

“Really?”, did i hear wrong? 0.33s faster?

“Look, my stopwatch doesn’t lie”, he pulls it out with the number clearly displayed on the screen. It’s true. I broke my own record. But I will definitely overthrow it, because there are 2 weeks until the day.

“Mr. Heechul! How’s my achievement?”, Jiheon runs over to ask.

“I don’t know. I stopped the timer as soon as I saw Yujin’s number. Sorry!”, teacher Heechul scratches his head.

“Yaah! You are so unfair! You only know Yujin”, Jiheon sulks.

“I’m sorry! But Yujin is clearly our greatest hope. Come on, don’t be angry with me. We’re going to eat ice cream, I’ll pay!”, sounds great, it’s been a while since he was so generous.

“Yeah! Let’s go now!”, Jiheon shouts with joy, like nothing ever happened, a person with a beautiful eating soul.

“To celebrate Yujin’s new achievement, today I’ll take the whole team to eat ice cream!”, Heechul shouts to everyone, and the whole team starts jumping to celebrate.

What a nice morning!

“Yujin unnie! You are wonderful! You’ll definitely win a gold medal!”, Wonyoung again!

 

3rd person’s POV

“Yujin unnie! Fighting!”, a loud scream from outside the track makes Minju look over.

“Who is that? She seems to care a lot about Yujin”, Minju turns to ask Yuri.

“It’s Wonyoung! The new student transferred to our school last year. 1 year younger than us. She’s being pursued by a lot of people!”, Yuri replies.

Suddenly Minju has something uncomfortable in her chest.

“Many people are pursuing?”, Minju immediately continues to ask the question.

“Yes. She’s rich, kind, and very pretty, and everyone says she’s so cute  that no one can stand. That’s true, I feel the same way”, Yuri couldn’t hold back her smile and makes Minju even more uncomfortable.

“Hmm”, Minju doesn’t know what to say next.

“And she really likes Yujin”, Yuri adds.

Minju is startled, as if something sharp had just pierced her heart, an unpleasant feeling that Minju had never experienced before.

Noticing that her friend had an unusual expression on the face, Yuri rearranges the information and quickly comes to her own conclusion.

“You are jealous right?”, Yuri smirks.

“What? Why should I be jealous?”, Minju denies Yuri’s conclusion.

“Look at your reaction! You’re obviously jealous”, Yuri replies but Minju doesn’t answer.

“But Yujin doesn’t like Wonyoung back. There’s still a chance for you to confess to her. Please! You like people but don’t dare to accept”, Minju looks at Yuri and shows her confusion.

I wonder if I really like Yujin? In a romantic way? Is it not a simple friendship or a sisterly love? Do I really like a girl or not? Those are the questions that pop up in Minju’s mind.

In addition, Wonyoung’s existence for Minju right now is a complete surprise. There’s a pretty and cute girl chasing after her, but Yujin still hasn’t mentioned Wonyoung once. This also makes Minju feel a little hurt, like she was cheated on. But Minju also has no right to blame Yujin, because Yujin is not obligated to tell her everything, they are just friends.

There are too many things for Minju to think about, maybe she needs more time to understand herself better, and to understand her relationship with Yujin.

“Ready!”

When she heard the signal, Minju immediately turns her gaze to Yujin, who was in a position to run at full speed forward.

Minju felt so light, those complicated thoughts are suddenly pushed away. Yujin’s image is the only thing she cares about. Her jawline and high nose are all that Minju can see on Yujin’s face when she’s in preparation, but it’s enough for her to feel drawn in despite the distance. tens of meters between them.

Bang!

The gun shot, Yujin and the team members starts running.

Yujin’s eyes clearly show determination, she is like an arrow that has just been shot straight on the track, with a healthy body full of enthusiasm in athletics clothe. And Minju couldn’t help but smile when she saw Yujin’s short hair tied back with a pink hair tie as it swayed lovingly with each running step.

“Wow! Yujin runs really fast!”, Minju claps her hands in exclamation as Yujin runs across the finish line and starts to slow down, a bright smile on her face.

“Yes! It’s amazing!”, Yuri is also very happy, she rarely saw Yujin practice because she often got stuck in class or because she had to go out with Yena.

“Shall we come say hello?” Minju suggests, her eyes still fixed on Yujin, who is being congratulated by the coach on her good performance.

The two leaves their positions and starts walking towards Yujin’s direction. Minju and Yuri burst out laughing when they heard the exchange of words between the teacher and a lovely girl on the same track team as Yujin.

“Yujin unnie! You are wonderful! You’ll definitely win a gold medal!”, Minju jumps and flinches when she heard that voice, a voice filled with loveliness and excitement, it’s the voice that cheered for Yujin earlier. It’s Wonyoung, who’s running closer and her arms is ready to hug Yujin.

Isn’t that so? She won’t hug Yujin, will she? Minju thinks for a moment and her eyes is wide open in surprise, her feet are buried in the ground.

And Wonyoung really hugs.

Then Minju’s body feels like it’s being burned by someone, a very uncomfortable feeling. Her face darkened, full of anger.