Part 6: Minju’s smile

[JinJoo] One and Only

Minju’s POV

Phew! I finally finished the song without making any big mistakes. I did well, didn’t I? Everyone is clapping for me! Maybe I did well. Woah! This feels great!

The applause isn’t that big, but it’s still more amazing than I could have imagined. I should bow my head to thank the audience.

“Minju unnie!”

Huh!?! Did someone just call me?? Unnie? I don’t have younger sister?

When I just looked up to see who called me from the audience seats, I immediately caught sight of someone trying to run up the stage as fast as possible. It’s a girl! That girl is wearing a simple outfit, jeans, t-shirt, and denim jacket, she has black hair in a ponytail. But I can’t see her face clearly from here.

Who is that girl? Did she just call my name? She is coming very close.

“Minju unnie!”, she called my name out loud, exactly the same voice called me earlier, do I know this person? Now that she’s walking up the stage so fast, everyone in the auditorium seems to be amazed. What should I do?

“Who are you? Do I know you?”, I tried to look calm to ask but for some unknown reason my heart was racing.

 

Yena’s POV

“Yaah! What are you doing standing up? You’re not going to run up there, are you Yujin?”, Yujin looks like she’s about to die if she holds herself back so she doesn’t run up to the stage and hug that girl who’s probably Minju.

“Nae!”, that’s all and she left her place and sped towards the stage. Oh-oh!

“Yaah! Don’t do that! Yujin!” This Puppy always knows how to mess up like that! Haiz! I can only wait here and see what will happen, because once Yujin decides to do something, no one can stop her.

“Minju unnie!” Please, someone help me! She even called Minju’s name out loud! In the middle of an auditorium with hundreds of people, and the serious atmosphere of this competition, doesn’t she know what shyness is? No, it’s exactly that Yujin doesn’t care about anything but that Minju.

Minju seemed startled at Yujin’s call. The others too, they are surprised and following her every step. When he was about to reach the stage, Yujin called out to Minju again. Minju looks a bit lost undercontrol when she confirms who the call is coming from.

“Who are you? Do I know you?”, Minju’s voice is also can be heard from where I am because the whole auditorium is very quiet. Is Yujin going to tell a whole long story on stage? It would be weird if she accidentally got the wrong person. Tsk! No way, Yujin’s intuition is always very sharp.

Oops! Daebak! Yujin is crazy! Not only she does not answer Minju’s questions, but she also acts directly. Wow! Right now Minju is fit in Yujin’s arms.

“Oh!!”, everyone is astonished by Yujin’s sudden action. If she was a boy, someone would have pulled her out by the neck, but thankfully she’s a girl so the hug didn’t look too much... “erted”.

Wait! Minju hugs Yujin back too? Woah! After a few unexpected seconds, Minju seems to have realized who is her. And Minju’s tears started to fall.

What’s going on? Isn’t Yujin even answering that questions? How can Minju recognize her? Is that really Minju?

Maybe Minju also recognized Yujin after a few seconds as same as the way Yujin recognized Minju before. It’s all based on their feelings. Truly a miracle.

“Thank you for contestant Kim Minju’s performance. I’m so sorry for interrupting your emotional moment, but can you two give me some time?”, while the whole audience was confused with many questions in their heads and the two girls were giving each other a warm hug, the MC appeared. Is he going to have an interview?

Yujin and Minju also stopped and wiped the tears from their faces. Haha! Yujin looks like a real idiot right now! That gesture looks like a puppy that just did something bad and was scolded by its owner. May be she now realizes what she’s already done.

“This is a friend that I haven’t seen in a long time”, Minju is confused explaining.

“Hello! Can you tell everyone your name??” the MC asks Yujin.

“I’m Yujin. An Yujin. An old friend of Minju unnie”, Yujin has a guilty expression on her face but at the end of the sentence she’s smiling. Stupid puppy.

“Yujin-ssi, can we know how you feel about your friend’s performance?”

“Yes, it’s great! I feel like hearing an angel sing”, Huh? It’s really shameless, did she forget that she’s the troublemaker?

Minju at this moment can only blush red in embarrassment. But she looks so happy.

“Yes! Thanks for your comment, Yujin-ssi! And I’m sure the audience here also feels that contestant Kim Minju’s performance is excellent, right? Please give a round of applause for Minju!”

After the clapping sound has stopped, the MC continued again: “Thank you very much. Thank you Minju and Yujin, you can converse inside and please give up the stage so we can continue the competition.”

Yujin and Minju bowed to the audience and walked into the wings together.

And what am I doing here? How can Yujin get in there? Is she an audience like me? What will they do, they say with each other in it? I also want to know and I also want to participate.

Ugh! I also should have run up then and hugged Yuri.

 

Yujin’s POV

I don’t know where I got the courage to hug her like that on the stage just then. But now I can’t say anything. Minju unnie also just sits quietly. What’s with this awkward atmosphere? Be brave, I should be the first to speak.

“Minju unnie!” – “Yujin-ah!”

“You speak first!” – “You speak first!”

What? Why did she speak at the same time as me? I’ll wait for her to speak first.

...

She says nothing. Her cheeks are starting to turn red, it’s so cute!

“Erm. Do you still remember me? It’s been so long, I thought you forgot about me. Can you recognize me even if I haven’t introduced myself?”, I have to say first, she is still silent.

“Of course I recognize you. From the moment you suddenly hugged me, I knew it was you Yujinie. But I never forgot you. On the contrary, I... I miss you so much, Yujin!”, Minju unnie’s tears suddenly fall.

“I miss you too! Don’t cry! You look so much better when you smile!”, from now on I will try not to make her cry, I will make her smile.

Minju unnie suddenly hugs me!?! And she cried even louder.

“I’m so sorry, Yujin-ah! She left without saying a word. I promised to go to the park every Sunday to play with you, but I can’t do it. You must be lonely, I made you wait. After all these years, I thought you would be mad at me, I was afraid you would forget about me!”, Minju unnie sobbed. So I hug and comfort her.

“It’s not your fault. I believe you have your reasons. It’s okay, I’m here with you right now. I’m not mad at you. But this time, you definitely won’t do that again, ok? If it’s a no, I won’t let you go, hug you to death!”

“I only came here today to participate in the contest, I have to go back to Jindo. But now we can keep in touch with each other in many ways, right? There are so many things I want to tell you. But can you let me go? It will be embarrassed if anyone see it!”

“Turns out you’ve moved that far! I also have a lot of stories to tell you. You have to text me every day. Promise, then I’ll let you go.”

“I promise! I won’t break my promise again!”

“Ahem!”, Yuri unnie suddenly appeared out of nowhere, “Sorry, but you two are so in love! Haha! This is not a place just for the two of you, you know?”

I quickly let go of Minju unnie. Perhaps because they were the same contestants in this contest, they knew each other.

“Yuri-ah! This is the Yujin I’ve been talking about for a long time!”, have they known each other since before?

“I know what happened on stage. And I’ve been standing here for a while! Haha!”, has Yuri unnie been listening to everything until now? I acted a bit like a child, it’s embarrassing.

“Yaah! Spying on others is not good! If you’ve come, you should let us know!”, maybe Minju unnie feels a bit shy too.

“But then you’ll tell me all about it, won’t you? I’m just previewing the story, I’ll know sooner or later. Haha!”, are they that close?

“Yujin! This is Yuri, my best friend!”, of course I knew Yuri unnie, she went to the same school as me and Yena unnie, and she’s also her crush, but I didn’t expect it to be so coincidental.

“I’ve seen her before at school, she’s often with Yena unnie, but I haven’t had a chance to ask her name. I’m surprised she’s that Yujin!”, Yuri unnie knows me too? So she must have noticed Yena unnie too. Haha! I have to tell that good news to that Duck as soon as possible.

“Hello, Yuri-sunbaenim! Nice to meet you! I hope we can become good friends too”, I smile and hold out my hand and wait for her to take it.

“Hello, Yujin! You can call me unnie. Actually, if we don’t get to know each other here, I think we will soon become close. I hope so!”, she shake my hand and then suddenly wink. Wow! Didn’t expect Yuri unnie to have such a bold look at times!

“The contest is still going on, and we have to wait until the afternoon to be announced the results. Let’s go to the cafeteria together for lunch!”, Minju unnie invites. Great! So I can have lunch with her.

“Great! Let’s go!”, I answer without hesitation.

Oops. I almost forgot it was the Duck, Yena unnie must be sitting alone in the auditorium. I should call and apologize to her, maybe I should ask her out for lunch too.

“Wait. I’m sorry, but can I call my friend to join? I came here with her, it’s Yena unnie”, after not seeing Minju unnie for a long time, and also talking to Yuri unnie for the first time, I should stay polite and ask for their opinion.

“Yena unnie! Great! Please call her to come here right now!”, Yuri unnie smiles like her whole world just lit up, looks like every thing will be easier for that Duck.

“Yaah! Jo Yuri! Please save face for a bit!”, Minju unnie is also smiling brightly, revealing Indian dimples on her face. Woah! This is my first time seeing it, I’m falling in love with her smile!