Part 17: Jealous

[JinJoo] One and Only

3rd person’s POV

The new school year is also nothing special for Yujin to look forward to. Except for the Sports Festival which is only a few days away. She will put all her efforts into it, hoping to bring back some glory to the school and herself. Yujin also thought of becoming a professional athlete but didn’t dare to set high expectations, she had a feeling that her parents didn’t want her to follow that path. Although they never mentioned it directly, there were many times during dinner that they mentioned about how smart and talented Yujin is to take over the company. So Yujin is not thinking too much about the future at the moment. The furthest thing she can think of is just entering SOPA next year so that she can go to the same school as Minju, it doesn’t matter what field she focus on there. Yujin guesses that it won’t be too difficult for her to face classes in singing, dancing, musical instruments or acting, etc., and it will be even easier with normal high school subjects in natural sciences, social sciences and or foreign languages... Yujin is inherently versatile and can approach many different fields.

Yujin’s small house became quiet early in the morning, both Yujin’s mother and father had left the house before Yujin could eat breakfast and go to school. She quickly nibbles on some bread and sips a glass of milk, her hands busy texting with Minju. It has been really happy for Yujin recently, the fact that she is still texting or talking on the phone with Minju after a long time of being completely silent is also great, but never as good as seeing her so often, incomparable. Yujin is looking forward to the day when she can go to school with Minju, going to the same school means they will have more opportunities to meet each other. When they are at the two different levels of education now, homework and school-related things will limit those opportunities. They even need to spend time with different friends.

Yujin is very jealous of Yena, who she just announced the good news via text message. Walking with her crush when she goes to school, studying with many interesting friends that Yena sometimes mentioned, and experiencing so many other fun things they put out, ... who wouldn’t be jealous? But she also misses her, more precisely, she misses Yena of the school, who doesn’t study at all but played with her, skips class, not the Yena of the outside world, because sometimes they still meet each other and have fun. The things that await Yujin at school right now are boring lessons, she hope she won’t have to face them today, because it’s the first day. But when she thinks more carefully, it’s not too bad, she also has the track team,  Mr. Heechul, Jiheon, Yuna and others, everyone in school loves Yujin. Although not completely close to them, Yujin still thinks that they are all good people and can share joy. With her wisdom, cunning and energy, very few people can annoy her, not even the principal. Thinking of annoying, Wonyoung’s image immediately appears in Yujin’s mind. And it makes her laugh, while it’s annoying, but not to the point of being obnoxious. In addition, Wonyoung also has very cute moments. She also likes Yujin, and that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

Bus is the transport that Yujin uses to go to school every morning because the school is not too close. With the current financial capacity, her family can completely hire a driver to take the shuttle. But like mom and dad, Yujin prefers to be self-sufficient. They also don’t have any duenna at home, maybe they will take that into account when they move to a larger place. On days off, Yujin would walk to school by herself, as a way to warm up before starting practice. But if Yujin do that today, sweat will make her uniform, hair, and body look so much worse.

Usually Yujin will wake up naturally according to the biological clock in her body, she is not too bothered about going to class on time. But today is a day where Yujin needs to wake up early so she can chat via text message with Minju on her first day of school, and help Yena a little. So the bus is now only scattered with a few people. It’s great to not have to stand crowded but can comfortably sit in one place and get in the mood for a new day by listening to a few favorite songs, Yujin thinks. She plugs the earphones into her smartphone and presses the “Play” button.

“Yujin unnie! What song are you listening to?”, the sound coming from next to it makes Yujin jump and almost drop the phone in her hand.

“Wonyoung?”, Yujin is surprised. She wonder if she was so absorbed in the music and the scenery of the morning street that she didn’t notice when Wonyoung got on the bus.

“Annyeong Yujin unnie”, Wonyoung giggles when Yujin looks startled.

“Since when did you get in the bus? I didn’t see”, Yujin questions.

“I’ve been sitting here for a while. Where has your soul gone? Is the music too good? What song is that? Let me hear it too”, Wonyoung only means to joke a little because she thinks Yujin will act as usual and decline the offer. Yujin has always been like that. But even if Yujin is like that, Wonyoung will still continue to do her clinging job, she also has a stubborn personality like Yujin. And no matter how many times Yujin refuses and escapes today, Wonyoung is determined to give Yujin the gift that she worked so hard to prepare. She’ve always wanted to show her love, and hope one day Yujin will accept it. And if that doesn’t happen, Wonyoung has long told herself that she will be willing to accept the result.

“Here”, Yujin takes off one of her earphones and hands it to Wonyoung. An unexpected action that Wonyoung never dared to think of. And Wonyoung suddenly feels a little heat on her face and inside, it’s been a while since she felt the same emotion. She don’t feel shy like when she first had a heatstroke, rather she don’t have a chance to feel that way because since the times she tried to confess, Yujin always tried to avoid it and she became too much get used to that.

“Nae?”, Wonyoung hesitates, she’s confused because she can’t believe what’s happening in front of her eyes.

“Didn’t you say you wanted to hear it? It’s almost time for us to get off the bus, maybe there’s still time for a song or two”, Yujin replies casually, as if she’s always done that to Wonyoung and it’s completely normal. But she doesn’t know that for Wonyoung it’s very unusual and like a dream. Wonyoung thinks so, because since she was born, Wonyoung has always had everything around her, not lacking anything, Wonyoung lives like a true princess. Everything Wonyoung wants, she always gets it easy, well, it’s really no more than a few toys, clothes, strawberry milk and mintchoco ice cream for this little and simple girl. Wonyoung has never liked anyone as much as Yujin and has never wanted anything more than Yujin, but it seems like this wish is a bit out of reach for Wonyoung or family and of course we can’t afford love with money.

“Nae”, Wonyoung takes one of the earphones and gently places it on her ear, carefully sitting closer to Yujin because she doesn’t want the rope to be pulled too tight and the other end on Yujin’s ear to fall off, that might make Yujin change her mind.

Woo really really like you

(Really Like You – IZ*ONE)

The first line of the song sounds and Wonyoung is a bit startled.

“Do not get me wrong. It’s not like that, I just love this song”, Yujin suddenly explains and makes Wonyoung blush. “I’m almost overjoyed, she’s so observant, otherwise I’d probably do something stupid, luckily”, Wonyoung thinks, “ T . T not lucky at all, it’s the same brutality as always.”

Wonyoung’s cute expression makes Yujin laugh. But Wonyoung’s pout immediately causes Yujin to suppresses her smile and realizes she is being rude. Due to the good mood this morning, Yujin decides to be gentle with Wonyoung, and Yujin doesn’t mean to make Wonyoung sad on the first day of school.

They listen to the music in silence and awkwardness, no one dares to say a word to anyone. During the next short distance, Wonyoung is so calm outside, she closes her eyes to feel the melody being heard and taps her hands to the beat of the song, secretly hoping this will help her heart beating slowly back. But it’s too difficult, the black vision in her eyes right now can’t dim the colors of happiness that Wonyoung is subconsciously imagining in her head. It’s a picture of Yujin and her walking hand in hand on a flowery and sunny street, both giving each other happy smiles, music can only make her heart grow thrill.

“Got there. Let's get off”, Yujin says when she saw their bus slowing down to stop. Yujin touches the "Stop" button on the phone screen, causing Wonyoung to sigh involuntarily when the music stopped in her ear.

“Nae! Thank you”, Wonyoung quickly regains her smile, takes off the earphone and returns it to Yujin.

“Let’s go!”, Yujin smiles back.

As they both gets off the bus and starts walking towards the school, Yujin notices the sadness on Wonyoung's face and decides to start a conversation again.

“Feel sorry?", Yujin teases a bit, for Wonyoung, she’s usually not very gentle, so maybe that will make Wonyoung feel more natural.

“Huh? No”, Wonyoung shyly denies.

“Maybe there’s a next time”, don't know if Yujin is telling the truth or joking this time.

“No. Unnie usually don’t go to school early, sometimes even late. This is the first time I’ve met you on the bus”, Wonyoung thinks it might be hard to get an opportunity like that again.

“So why don’t you come to school a little later, as long as you arrive before class starts? Maybe we’ll meet again”, Yujin shrugs.

“I always try to go to school on my own time, so that I can see you as soon as possible”, Wonyoung honestly answers.

“Haha! It’s cute”, Yujin blurts out compliments and surprises Wonyoung.

Wonyoung slowly walks and thinks for a bit.

“Yujin unnie!”, Wonyoung decides to call Yujin after a bit of hesitation.

“Huh?”, Yujin turns her head back and tilts.

“Can you meet me at the cafeteria during lunch break? I have something for you”, Wonyoung asks. Somehow she had to take a breath to gather her courage this time before asking Yujin this. Completely different from previous times, Wonyoung just spoke out, it doesn't matter how Yujin answered, and then she would search, suddenly appeared in front of her, kept clinging so that Yujin couldn't run away, said and did what she wants. As long as Wonyoung’s actions have enough elements of surprise, Yujin won’t be able to avoid them, giving gifts, confessing, telling stories, lamenting, even hugging and kissing.

“Okie!”, Yujin nods.

“Really? I thought you wouldn’t take it”, Wonyoung's lips curl up brightly.

“No matter how I answer, you will still appear and annoy me. Right?”

“Hihi”, Wonyoung grins.

“Alright. I’ll go first”, Yujin turns to walk away, crossing the school gate and leaving Wonyoung jumping for joy behind.

“Nae! Bye bye unnie! See you later!” Wonyoung shouts loudly and even though Yujin doesn't say hello back, she still keeps a big smile on her face.

 

Minju’s POV

Reng Reng

So it's time for lunch break. I wonder what the school cafeteria has?

“Ya! Minju! Let’s go”, Yuri seems to be so excited, she doesn’t even rearrange her things.

“Won’t the other two pick us up?”, maybe I should wait for them, the school campus is still so new to me, I don’t even know where the cafeteria is yet.

“They’re standing right outside the door”, I look in the direction Yuri is pointing at. Yena unnie and Chaewon unnie are there, I don’t know how long they've been waiting, they’re waving and smiling at us.

“Annyeong, unnie-deu. We’re here”, I greet them.

“I heard today’s rice has beef for us”, Yena unnie happily says.

“Woah! This school is so generous. How do you know that?”, Yuri questions.

“We’re close with the aunts and uncles at the canteen”, Chaewon unnie replies.

Indeed, her name is Yena, everyone's friend. I guess maybe Chaewon unnie is also the type who gets along with others easily, she always looks confident and pretty too. Mabe they are close because of that, or simply she got that friendly personality from Yena unnie since the two of them were close. I think it might be easier for me and Yuri to get used to this school and everyone here thanks to them.

Ting ting... ting ting...

It's Yujin. Definitely.

3 unread messages from Yujinie <3

Exactly. I guess it's not wrong. Don't know what's happening? Or does she miss me? Um. Of course there’s that possibility, … because we are… best friends.

Yujinie <3

Unnie! Class is really boring. I wish I had you to study with, I could sit still and study all day.  T . T

Did she text me during class?

Minju unnie! Are you in class right now? I just don't know what to do. Don't answer me.  xD

That's it. Imagine her face at that time, oh my god, it’s so cute.

I just got out of class and am going to the cafeteria. Are your school okay? Did you have fun? Are you eating lunch right now??

I also just started my break time. My class is fun, they’re all very kind and cute ^^ But stop texting me during class, focus on the lesson.

You know I don't have to work so hard. I’m just so bored.

Even if you’re bored, don't skip school. You know? It's only the first day.

Nae! I knew it. Are you going to eat with your friends? Who is that?

Ah, I’m going with Yuri, Yena unnie and Chaewon unnie. Surely you don’t have to eat alone because we’re not there, right? Haha

Chaewon? I've heard this name somewhere before, i’'s so familiar, but I can’t remember. I’m going with Jiheon and Yuna, my classmates.

Wonyoung too… just showed up. I guess you don’t know my friends’ faces? If there’s a chance, I will introduce them to you.

Wonyoung?!?

This name makes me feel uncomfortable at all. Maybe I should admit I'm jealous. And does that mean that I really like Yujin?? Haizz!! Don’t know anymore. I just know that my heart is feeling very insecure, it suddenly beats faster again.

?? What 's up? Do you know her??

Maybe Yujin still doesn’t know that I heard about her and Wonyoung from Yuri. Should I talk about this?

Nothing. Enjoy your lunch. Don’t text me anymore >< I won’t reply.

I'm feeling jealous and Yujin is completely oblivious to it. But she’s not knowing that I’m jealous so she doesn’t care. Why do I feel angry at her now? I am so unreasonable and arrogant. But anyway, I’m not in the mood to text her anymore.

“What’s up? Your expression isn’t very good”, Yuri asks while we are queuing for food. Yena unnie and Chaewon unnie are also looking at me.

“It’s nothing”, I don’t want to tell anyone about this right now.

We are all eating together. The three of them are talking about all sorts of things but I couldn’t join. I don’t even understand, they speak a foreign language? Well. Probably because I’m not in the mood. All I’m thinking about right now is Yujin and Wonyoung. But what about the others, Jiheon and Yuna, don’t I feel jealous of them? Maybe they’re all close, so it’s inevitable that Yujin and Wonyoung have lunch together. I try to put these things out of my mind to ease this uncomfortable feeling. But the image of Yujin and Wonyoung talking and laughing happily keeps popping up in my head, I can even imagine the two of them feeding each other food. Minju-ah? Are you crazy?

“You alright? Are you unwell?” Chaewon unnie suddenly asks me. Her eyes seem to be very worried.

“I’m fine”, I try to answer with a weak smile on my lips.

Ting ting... ting ting...

Someone’s text message beeps. And Yena unnie is the one who opens her phone on the table to check. Her expression looks like she has just hit something hard to think about. Yena unnie suddenly looks at me. Huh? Then she turns to look at Chaewon unnie? Chaewon unnie is also confused as to what’s going on.

Yena unnie comes back to her phone, probably to reply to the message.

“What’s wrong Yena unnie?”, Yuri asks with a big question mark on her face.

“Excuse me, you guys just eat. I’ll go first”, Yena unnie stands up and leaves the table, “It’s nothing serious, don’t worry. Bye bye”, she greets back before continuing to walk.

She said it's nothing serious, which means it’ll be fine. Right now, I’m not in the mood to care about other people’s affairs. Why am I feeling nervous all of a sudden? Is something really bad going on?

 

Yujin’s POV

I’m sitting in the school cafeteria and having lunch. But I’m not in the mood to eat anything, even if it’s my favorite tokbokki. Why does Minju unnie not want to continue texting me? Is she mad at me? Wait, could it be that Minju unnie is busy spending time with Chaewon?

Yuri unnie and Yena unnie, bet they are giving most of their attention to each other, they always do. So the person who will talk to Minju unnie will definitely be Chaewon. Who can that be? Is she in the same class as Minju unnie? Could also be friends with Yena unnie or Yuri unnie. Even though I can’t remember who this name belongs to, I somehow feel uncomfortable with it.

That’s right! Is she staying with Yena, or should I ask her?

The ugly duckling

Unnieee!!! Minju unnie said she was staying with you, Yuri unnie and Chaewon. Who is Chaewon?? I think I’ve heard this name somewhere, but I can’t remember. But even so, I don’t know why I feel like something’s not right ><

Wait a minute! I’ll text you back soon.

There’s definitely something there.

I just found another place to text you more easily, it’s not good in front of them.

Is something really wrong?

I don't know, but the atmosphere there is not very normal. A few minutes ago, Minju’s face suddenly turned uncomfortable, I don’t know what happened to her. Did you just do something bad to her?

What did I do? I just texted her as usual.

As for Chaewon, I think I saw that Chaewon was quite worried about Minju, really worried, even though Minju said it was okay.

I don't think I did anything wrong with her. But are they that close? Who is she? Chaewon??

Remember when we went to see Yuri’s contest? The day you met Minju.

Nae! Remember.

Could it be that person?

Remember? She's the one who hugged Minju on that stage. Looks like they’ve been in contact ever since. But it’s right when you feel insecure. Haha. Because you like Minju. Bad news for you, judging from Chaewon’s expression, I guess she likes Minju too.

Really? How do you know?

Chaewon is my classmate from last year. We are also very close. Of course you’re still the best. Hihi. And because of the closeness, I can tell by her facial expressions and eyes. I’ve never seen the expressions I’ve seen in Chaewon before today. She's never looked at anyone like that before.

I didn’t expect my hunch to be so accurate. From that day on, I didn’t like her. Love enemy? Even going to the same school as Minju unnie, I totally lost my advantage >< I can’t accept this at all.

Haha. You may not like this. But don’t think badly of my friend. Chaewon isn’t as bad as you think. She’s kind and pretty, and she’s also quite playful.

That makes me worry even more. What if Minju unnie likes her? The two of them will often see each other at school. Maybe Minju unnie will gradually develop feelings for her too :<

You've always been so jealous, haven't you? Haha! It’s like Minju is already yours. You were even jealous of Yuri and even me. Haha!

Don’t make fun of me anymore. I am not very happy here.

Don’t worry too much. Minju has always given her priority to you.

You know what if she changed? Besides, I’m not her girlfriend either. Minju unnie probably only sees me as a close friend or her little sister.

If so, why don't you confess to Minju? Haha. How would things be different? That day we bet we’ll confess, right? But you haven’t done it yet.

Well. What did you do to tell me?

Uh. Haha!

Please pay attention to those two and help me :< Begging you. Stand by your best friend.

Chaewon’s my best friend too ㅋㅋ But I’ll tell you when something happens between them. Don’t worry, I’ll help you.

Hic hic! Thank you :’(

So, I have to go to class. Bye bye Puppy.

Nae. Bye bye Duckling.

Is lunch break almost over? Everyone seems to have eaten all their food, maybe I should try to eat some before the bell rings, otherwise the afternoon classes will be even more uncomfortable for me and my empty stomach.

“Open your mouth. AAAA”, it’s Wonyoung’s voice right next to me. I was so busy thinking about Minju unnie and texting Yena unnie that I forgot her presence. She made an appointment with me, I still don’t know what’s it about?

“What are you doing with my food?”, Wonyoung is using chopsticks and holding up a piece of tokbokki. It’s definitely mine because their trays are all empty.

“I’m feeding you. You haven’t eaten yet, lunch break is almost over”, Wonyoung is right, I should eat right away. With that in mind, I unconsciously open my mouth and let the tokbokki on Wonyoung’s chopsticks come in.

“You two look so affectionate”, Jiheon suddenly comments.

“That’s right. Have you accepted her feelings?”, Yuna also says.

I forgot that the two of them are also present. I accidentally look at Wonyoung and see that she is blushing, which makes my cheeks also naturally become hotter.

“Let me eat it myself”, I pick up my chopsticks and continue to put food in my mouth, hoping to quickly get out of this awkward situation. Jiheon and Yuna look at each other for a second as if silently signaling to each other something. Will they stop teasing and leave me alone?

“We’ll go first!”, Jiheon says and pulls Yuna up.

“See you in class later”, Yuna adds and the two of them leave the table together. Phew! Lucky.

“But do you have something you to tell me? Why did you ask me to meet in the morning? Don’t tell me you want to confess again”, I turn to Wonyoung and ask her.

“No. I have a gift for you”, Wonyoung shakes her head and turns to pick up a gift box from the chair. Is that gift box next to her all this time? I completely didn't realize its existence even though it looks quite large, it is not a small gift box that my eyes could easily overlook. Since when did she carry it?

“What is that?”, I question. It feels a bit heavy when I receive the gift box from Wonyoung.

“Open it up”, Wonyoung smiles, a smile that shows she thinks I’ll like it.

“These shoes? Wow!”, I am really surprised when I open the gift box and see the shoes that I wanted to own. It’s a limited-edition, branded sport sneaker, a product that came out not too long ago, it’s beautifully designed and the colors are great too. I fell in love with it at first sight, the day it was introduced, but I couldn’t afford it. The number of people waiting to buy the shoes is too much while the quantity sold is too small, and I must have been a little late.

“Do you like it? I thought it would suit you very well”, maybe my expression says that I really like the present she prepared, and that makes Wonyoung smile brightly. She is right, I absolutely love it.

“Of course!! Thank you! It is really beautiful. I love it!”, I also smile back at her to express my sincere thanks. Because it’s a limited edition, even if you have enough money, it’s not easy to buy these shoes, she must have worked hard and put a lot of effort into it.

“Since Yujin unnie is going to participate in the running competition at the Sports Festival, I think a good pair of shoes can help you win,” Wonyoung says.

“That is for sure. Thank you very much”, I reply. Didn’t expect Wonyoung to care so much about me, she really likes me. This makes me wonder a bit, should I not accept this gift? Or should I return it? I’ve been avoiding her for a long time, and I won’t be able to return her feelings in the future either.

“You’re going to give me the shoes back and say you won’t accept it because you can’t like me right?”, huh? Wonyoung can read my mind?

“You just take it. Don’t give it back. I worked so hard to get these shoes to give to you. I know you like it a lot. I don’t care about other things. No matter what, I’ll continue to like Yujin unnie”, Wonyoung continues, a pretty smile still on her lips. I think even though Wonyoung says that on the outside, but in the heart, I’m sure more or less thought about whether I have feelings for her or not.

“I’m sorry”, I don’t know if I should be happy or sad right now. There are many different emotions in my heart. Wonyoung’s actions and words really touched me, I’m happy to receive so much love from her. But I’m also sad because I can’t reciprocate that feeling. Well. I actually thought about it for a bit, even if it was only a fleeting moment, but I have to admit I thought about liking Wonyoung again. The reason why I think this is impossible is because Wonyoung's gift has attracted most of my attention unnie up until now, but a part of my mind is still thinking about Minju, even still still feeling uncomfortable because of Chaewon’s appearance. I can’t hurt the heart of a lovely person like Wonyoung by pretending to accept her feelings.

“You don’t need to apologize. Hope you win a gold medal with these shoes. At that time, I will come to support you too. Fighting! And now I go to class first! Hurry up and eat, the school bell will ring in 3 minutes”, Wonyoung stands up and prepares to leave the table.

“Um. Really thank you. Bye bye. See you later”, I wave goodbye to Wonyoung. Maybe from now on I won't think she’s annoying anymore.

Should I tell this to Minju unnie? But she told me not to text her anymore. Haiz. I wish she feels jealous of Wonyoung like how I’m jealous of Chaewon.