Part 12: Eyes

[JinJoo] One and Only

3rd person’s P.O.V

Witnessing what was happening in front of her eyes, and Minju is in an indescribable state, with a gaze filled with different emotions, her whole body doesn’t move, Yuri feels awkward.

“Yujin!”, Yuri calls out, it is the only thing she could think of right now.

Yujin turns to look and quickly recognizes who are standing at the source of the sound. She sees Yuri, who is confused and don’t know what to do, and Minju, who is looking at her with sadness and anger.

The moment Yujin’s gaze meets Minju’s eyes, Yujin’s whole body stands still like a statue because different thoughts keep appearing in her head, overloading her brain and ignoring all other functions. At first, Yujin is surprised by Minju’s presence, because she had never mentioned that she would come to Seoul during this time, the joy overwhelms her to see her dear friend, precious sister, and person she secretly love again. Plus, since Minju once promised to bring her a surprise gift, and Yujin is wondering if this meeting will be the time for her to receive it. But right after that, she was quickly overwhelmed by sadness, Minju is sad, angry, there is a little bit of insecurity in those eyes, Yujin couldn’t be happy when she feels Minju is not fine. Even though she haven’t said anything yet, Yujin knows something out of the ordinary is going on, and it’s definitely a bad thing.

Tied by those thoughts, Yujin just wants to run to Minju right away. But just when she is about to make her body move, Yujin suddenly feels it is tied up too. She’s startled and realizes this feeling is from Wonyoung, she’s being hugged by that annoying girl.

Wonyoung still does that sometimes, when she feels happy, because she got a good score on a test, praised, or when she enjoys her favorite Mint Choco ice cream. It’s just that Wonyoung simply wants to share her joy with Yujin. And sometimes it’s because she’s depressed, having a sad situation, at that time, Yujin will become the most effective medicine in the world. Of course Yujin always wants to get away from it, for reasons we all know, plus Wonyoung never asking permission first makes the hugs she gives full of surprises and annoyances. However, although Yujin has repeatedly banned it, even threatened, Wonyoung still does not give up easily. She knows that she’s cute and Yujin will never be rude.

Before the appearance of a stranger, Wonyoung doesn’t know who it is, but can be sure that more or less that person is related to Yujin. Because that person is with Yuri, one of the only people that Yujin is close to, besides Yena. Noticing that those eyes were looking directly at Yujin, along with indescribable emotions, Wonyoung turns to Yujin. And Wonyoung must be surprised when Yujin is looking at that person with a strange look, the emotion contains in those eyes changes in an instant, something she has never seen before. Wonyoung can see that there is a surprise, filled with joy, a little sadness but a lot of love.

Suddenly she feel like hugging Yujin tighter, Wonyoung is afraid that Yujin will belong to that person, and they belong together, so she doesn’t want to let go. But then she realizes, Yujin has never looked at her or anyone else with such eyes, Wonyoung wonders if she should give up her selfishness. And she suddenly remembers, Yujin never hated her, maybe Yujin always rejected and avoided, and never liked her, but that doesn’t mean it can’t change forever. Yujin never said she likes anyone else, Wonyoung still has plenty of opportunities to show her affection and make Yujin think twice, so she doesn’t have to overdo it right now. Besides, the stranger isn’t necessarily her love rival yet, Wonyoung thinks, well she could be, or will be, but she can’t allow herself to be mean, that girl did not do anything wrong.

Yujin is about to forcefully push Wonyoung off of her, but before that happens, Wonyoung let go first. She turns to Wonyoung with a bit of surprise but her eyes seem to be saying thank you. And Wonyoung responds to Yujin with a smile.

“Minju unnie!”, Yujin rushes over to Minju and calls out to her.

But Minju doesn’t answer.

“Um... I... I didn’t mean to let her hug me... Um...”, Yujin is embarrassed so she stutters hesitantly.

“Wonyoung likes me but I don’t like her back. I… I’m sorry”, Yujin tries to use all her language ability to speak quickly and accurately. She thinks she should explain to Minju to get rid of the misunderstanding and prevent anger, sadness, or any other negative emotions that might come up.

“Why do you have to explain that to me?”, Minju asks angrily. She doesn’t understand why she is getting angry when she asks this question, it is clear that Yujin’s explanation made her feel very secure. Wonyoung may be the one to pursue Yujin, but Minju believes in Yujin’s words, her attitude is also completely sincere and Yujin has only told her the truth before. So what is causing her to still have discomfort in her heart?

“I…”, Yujin couldn’t answer because she likes Minju, at the moment she’s not ready for that. Yujin doesn’t dare to confess her feelings, for fear that Minju might not accept it, fear that Minju now only sees her as a sister or just likes her as a friend. Yujin intends to slowly grow her feelings, until she’s sure it’s big enough for her to boldly express it, making sure it’s not sisterly or friend love. And over time, Yujin will also gradually show that affection to Minju, making Minju like her in return, just the way she wanted to.

“I don’t want you to misunderstand. I’m afraid you think I have a lover... no, I have a girlfriend”, at this time Yujin doesn’t dare to admit it to Minju but also wants to reveal a little bit of information to her that she likes girls, not boys, “without telling you. I don’t want to hide anything from you, and I think Minju unnie would be happy too if I share everything with you”, Yujin breaths a sigh of relief because she had come up with a reasonable explanation, it was completely true and she didn’t have to justify it with a lie.

Seeing Yujin’s tense yet cute expression, Minju couldn’t help but smile. But she immediately turns her face away and hides it, then returns to her annoying image.

It felt like everything seemed to be back to normal, but Yujin still doesn’t dare to say anything to Minju, afraid that she would be in an awkward situation again, so she turns to Yuri to ask: “Yuri unnie! What are you two doing here?”

“We came to watch you practice. You ran really well!”, Yuri is also able to breathe a sigh of relief when she sees Minju calmer than before.

“Since when did you two come here? I didn’t know that. Why didn’t you tell me in advance that you were taking Minju unnie to school?”, Yujin asks.

“I guess I should let Minju answer that” Yuri doesn’t think she should be the one to announce everything, Minju should still be the one to personally bring that surprise gift to Yujin.

But Minju still doesn’t feel relieved right now, she thinks she’s not happy enough to tell Yujin why she’s here. If Yujin received such good news as a gift, and she can’t be happy with her, that’s not good at all. That would ruin the moment of joy that Yujin deserved. It’s not her fault what happened with Wonyoung, Minju can’t blame her or blame Wonyoung. Moreover, the fact that Yujin said she didn’t like Wonyoung gave her peace of mind and put that aside.

However, Minju is confused with her feelings right now. It’s her feeling that she doesn’t know herself well, it makes Minju discomfort, upset, and angry, not Yujin, Wonyoung, anyone or anything else. Minju needs some space and time to get out of it, to be more clear with herself and with Yujin.

“Yujin-ah! Shall we go?”, Mr. Heechul calls out.

“Yujin! I want ice cream!”, Jiheon also shouts loudly.

“Let’s go!”

“I’m hungry!”

“Yujin!”

The rest of the track team also participate, their faces clearly showing excitement and anticipation. Obviously they can’t leave without Yujin.

“Go. They’re waiting for you”, Minju says with an expressionless face.

“No! I want to be with you!”, Yujin replies. While Minju hasn’t returned with a smiling image, she can’t leave. Minju might return to Jindo anytime, Yujin needs to talk to her.

“No! Go please! I don’t want to talk to you now!”, Minju refuses.

“Are you mad at me?”, Yujin starts to feel scared. The difficulty of geographical distance and time for them is still something too big. Contact by phone, via text message has never been a priority for the two, they just accept it because it is a reluctant choice. A face-to-face meeting is worth many times more.

Looking at Yujin’s eyes, Minju understands that she is afraid of her anger, then she could go back to her home in Jindo without saying a word to Yujin, and it would be a long time before they had a chance to see each other again. Minju replies, “I’m not mad at you, and won’t be coming back right away. We can talk later. I promise! Now I just want to be alone.”

“Nae... Bye bye Minju unnie”, with a sullen expression, Yujin reluctantly left.

Her heart is full of questions, Yujin thinks she had explained everything, the hug that happened with Wonyoung, she made it clear and Minju unnie wasn’t angry, but there was still something wrong with her eyes. Did Minju realize that she likes her? Will she accept and reciprocate or reject my feelings? No. Or is she having a hard time, something makes her sad? While the new school year is about to begin, why did Minju unnie come here?

While it all goes on, Wonyoung just stands silently watching, perhaps what was going on between the two of them, is more complicated than she could imagine. Since Yujin left with the teacher and the team without even looking at her or saying goodbye, Wonyoung does it with Yuri and Minju, smiling and waving. Minju just looks at Wonyoung without showing any emotion, she doesn’t know how to express anything. And Yuri replies with a wry smile, even though she finds Wonyoung cute, even though she knows that Wonyoung meant well, in this situation, Yuri couldn’t do anything like say hello, call her name or wave with Wonyoung in front of Minju.

Then Wonyoung also leaves the practice ground, leaving Minju and Yuri standing where they were from the beginning.

A few seconds passed, Minju also turns and walks away.

“Wae? What’s wrong with you? Where are you going?”, Yuri asks curiously, she doesn’t know what is going on in Minju’s mind.