chic and... elderly?

inhale, exhale on repeat
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“That’s so sweet of you,” the sales associate says with a bright smile, “To buy a gift for your grandmother. The fabric is wonderful: soft, light. Perfect for the weather.”

Soojin tries not to grimace, “Uhh, it’s…” There’s no use arguing that the nightie isn’t for her grandmother. “Great. I’m just…” Thumb motioning over her shoulder, Soojin slowly backs away. “Bye!” 

At a brisk pace, Soojin leaves the department and the watchful eyes. “I’ll get these.” The basket slams down on the counter hard enough to make her wince, “Sorry.”

“Don’t worry dear.” The teller rings through the items. “These are cute,” she comments while folding them. “For your grandmother?”

Soojin resists rolling her eyes. “Uhh... no.” As an afterthought she adds, “But the person they’re for is an old soul—” she frowns, “ —and dresses like my grandma would. Is that bad?”

Handing over the bag, the woman behind the counter smiles. It’s warm and mothering. “Perhaps a bit odd, but not bad dear.” 

“Definitely odd,” Soojin mumbles to herself, soft enough that the teller can’t hear. “Thanks.”

When Soojin wraps the gift it’s meticulous, right down to the number of knots before looping the bow. She isn’t a perfectionist, but details matter. 

“Are you ready to go?” Soyeon asks from the hall. The sweater she’s wearing is seasonally tacky and an atrocious combination of colours. 

“You’re wearing that?” 

Eyes drifting down to outfit in question, Soyeon grins with all her pearly whites showing, “I know you’ve got a thing for that senior citizen look—”

Her slipper is the only thing in reach. It thumps into the wall and plummets to the floor in the hall. “Yah!”

Soyeon cackles as she retreats down the hall. “Hurry up, Soo! We want to get there before gramma has to tuck in!”

“You made it!” Miyeon says, all smiles and cheers, when she opens the door. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter