haunted

inhale, exhale on repeat
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

On a scale of one to atrocious, spending her afternoon cooped up in some dingily lit room is, without a doubt, atrocious. 

Soojin has nothing against rooms that are poorly lit or being cooped up indoors. She can think of multiple times when she has chosen those exact conditions of her own volition and been incredibly satisfied with her decision. No, what makes it atrocious has more to do with the odour, some cross between musty laundry and rotten eggs, and the fact that this is her day off. 

Her first day off in six weeks. 

“Remind me wh-” The smell is putrid and if she wasn’t cut off by a hissing shhh , Soojin surely would have stopped herself because no part of her body should need oxygen that badly. 

Squinting, Soojin can make out the unruly friz of Yuqi’s perm. In the low light it looks even more unruly than it had an hour ago, which seems ridiculous given that all they’ve been doing is walking and crouching. 

Well, Yuqi has been.

Burying her hands into the front pocket of the pullover she, thankfully, managed to grab, Soojin sighed. When Yuqi had showed up at her front door, citing some nonsense about a ‘must see’ and an ‘adventure of a lifetime’, there hadn’t been any chance to object. Honestly, Soojin is likely the last choice on Yuqi’s go to list of adventure seeking friends and for good reason

Searching for paranormal activity does not excite Soojin in the slightest - it terrifies her. 

Ten more minutes of Yuqi roaming from one end of the room to the other is all Soojin can take. Impatiently she stamped her foot. “Yuqi!” So what if she whines, this is not how Soojin wanted to spend her afternoon and Yuqi hadn’t even given her a chance to at least grab her phone. 

“Unnie look! Footprints!” The tantrum is unnoticed, the frizzy haired woman pointing to what Soojin can only surmise must be the footprint discovery.

“Your footprints,” Soojin mumbled as she rolled her eyes, the shimmer of something white in the far corner catching her attention. Puzzled, and slightly concerned, Soojin turned. 

The room itself wasn’t overly large and has certainly seen better days as the paint is peeling from the walls. Periodically, sections of the drywall have crumbled away, allowing for an easy view into the adjacent hall and, surprisingly, to the sight of one ecstatic looking Yeh Shuhua.

In her white

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter