Joohyun Marie

Sofia by Clairo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

     I've always found myself in situations where I have to be generous. I have to give whatever I have to others. Being the eldest child, I sometimes have to shoulder the responsibilities of what was meant to be my parents' into mine. 

 

   "Joohyun, ibigay mo muna sa kapatid mo" I found myself handing the last piece of my favorite figurine to the excited hands of my five-year-old sister. A few weeks later, she broke it.

 

   "Joohyun hayaan mo na kapatid mo naman yan" What about me?

 

   "Joohyun ikaw ang matanda intindihin mo na lang kapatid mo' Why do i always have to be responsible for their mistakes?

 

   "Joohyun ikaw muna ang bahala. Kailangan ako ng kapatid mo sa school" I still have schoolworks too. 

 

I wanted to say that but I couldn't.

 

   "Sige, sayo na lang" as I handed it to her. As long as she's happy, I'll try and be okay with it.

 

     I cried as I tried to reassemble my project in school. Out of all the toys that Katarina has, she still chose to play with the project I kept on working on."Joohyun, hayaan mo na kapatid mo naman yan" She said as she saw me crying.

 

   "Ako po ang may gawa"When I announced that, I heard a disappointed scoff from my step-father. I looked at the toddler that my mother was holding. Her eyes were expressive for a toddler. I wish I still had that. 

 

     I just wish it hadn't ended up like this.

 

   I found myself alone once again. They've left me here again. I stayed for a few years with my mother since my father was almost never at home as his job required him to be on call 24/7.

 

   My father's work is in the line of aircraft. When I asked him what he does, he just said that he's the Pilot in Command and he flies the plane. Meanwhile, my mom was a lawyer. Yet she retired when she gave birth to me. We were comfortable. Maybe I just wasn't seeing things clearly.

 

     Can you blame me? I was a child. 

 

   My parents got divorced and I found myself sitting with two people in a suit explaining how my parents would have "custody" as well as "divorced" at the tender age of 5. They asked me whom I wanted to stay with more. 

 

   Can't I stay with both of them? I asked. They smiled sadly and said, "You couldn't." I remember not being able to give my answer as I went on a bawling spree.

 

   There were a lot of trials to make the divorce legal and effective. They both agreed that they would have joint custody of me. When I asked my father, he explained it to me thoroughly and simply in a way that a 5 year old would understand. Joint custody means that you would spend time with both mommy and daddy. The only difference is that you're going to spend time with us separately. 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter