Chapter 2 - School: First Impressions

Length of Happiness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
 

8 years later.

After numerous attempts of trying to convince Taeyeon to go to high school, the frustrated parents have finally succeeded. For the first time, Taeyeon whined and threw a fit, acting like a child, not liking the idea one bit. Her parents were partly relieved that she finally behaved like a child after 8 years of nothing but good acts from her. Her parents were lenient for the first year since it seemed like it’s her first time going to school. Eventually she realized that she would have to go to school anyway, but that did not stop her from enjoying her time acting like a child.   

“Get uuuuuuuuuuuuup!!!!” Her mom shouted at the big lump on the bed. Noticeably grumpier towards Taeyeon than when she was younger.

"Hmmm.... mm..." The big lump growled.

"If you don't get up, I'm going to pull off your blanket." The woman approached the bed and raises her voice, speaking in a more condescending tone. "I didn’t waste all that effort for you to sleep! It’s 5 weeks into the semester already, and you still want to risk being late!?”"

"Arrasssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.......pft!!!" Taeyeon shot up from her bed and kicked her blanket off the bed. Face frowning like a demon and glared at Mrs. Im, her adoptive mother.

"Are you even a lady? Look at your attitude. Look at that face! What happened to you? I remember you used to behave so well. If you don’t go to school, what are you going to do in the future??" The woman threw her school supplies on her bed.

In order to not to go to high school, Taeyeon slept in and became stubborn. She missed many deadlines - torn forms, excuses and even ran away once; whatever she could have thought of to delay the inevitable. In the end it took her parents ages to get her completely registered. By the time she got in, it was already a month into the second semester. Like all kids who misbehaved for the first time, she felt good to break the rules which she was pretty sure she had never done before.

The truth was that after focusing on her self-studies for a good while, she got used to it and what she enjoyed the most was the freedom. Because of the lack of attention from her adoptive parents, she did pretty much anything as she pleased. She found out that she didn’t need to do a lot of things and some of her old habits slowly started to fade away. The more dreadful truth about going to school was that she didn’t know what to expect and she felt a bit anxious. At least she now feels better and, in a sense, livelier, the exact opposite of what she was before, if her feelings of her past did not lie to her. If she can be happy, why not?

Her mother met some nice new friends, who were nice enough to lend her some money. Thus, sending her to high school, much to Mr. Lim’s disapproval. But as much as he loves money, he can’t take education away from a child.

She stood up slouching and slowly dragged herself to the washroom to wash up.

"It won't be too bad. Just mind my own business, everything will be fine." She said to herself, trying very hard to reassure herself in front of the mirror. She was nervous. It’s the first time she will be in a classroom full of people.

“Watch out! I am going to conquer the whole school!” She said to her own reflection but could only burst out in laughter a moment later. “HAHAHAH!!! Oh my gosh, I am crazy.”

One deep breath.

“Ok, off to school!”

After she cheered herself up, she ran through the kitchen with a silly smile on her face, as if her attitude of going to school had changed just by going to the washroom.

“Bye mom! I am going to school!” She yelled in excitement, darting out of the door. Then sprinted full speed towards the bus stop, totally forgetting to brush her hair.

“Hey Hyun, what’s gotten into her? I thought she didn’t want to go to school.” Mrs. Im asked her husband after the unexpected.

Mr. Im looked at her with an unbothered look. “How do I know? I knew she was crazy since the start. I bet she pulled that act just to stay home and fool around as much as possible!”  

“You are much better?” She scoffed. “We both know how much she helped us around the household and even helped teach Yoona. I wish Yoona can learn more from her.”

“Mind you! At least I am making money! She is only taking and our Yoona is a way better!”

“She is still just a child; can you stop with that behaviour?”

“A child! An unnecessary one!”

“HYUN!” Mrs. Im shouted at her husband’s absurd attitude towards the child.

“She is not here! Is she??”

Mrs. Im only rolled her eyes and walked away from the kitchen upset.

------

 

At the bus stop, Taeyeon brushed her hair with her fingers, but to no avail. It has already dried up and became messy.

“Stupid hair.” She stepped on to the bus and scanned her bus card.

She sat in the middle of the bus and stared out the window.

“Thank you, sir. Please wait a minute, there’s someone after me.” A boy bowed to the bus driver and looked outside the side windows. Not a moment later, a boy with bed hair came into view, running towards the bus waving his bus card. The boy on the bus chuckled to himself and went to sit at the seat in front of her.

“Waiiiit!!!” The running boy finally arrived at the door panting and paid his fare.

“I told you that you would be late, pay up!” The boy sitting in front of her started laughing.

“Come on, Suho! I got on the bus, didn’t I??” He protested.

“Chanyeol, if it weren’t for me the bus would have left your already. Stop making excuses.”

“Here’s 10,000 won. Another 10,000 will come after my allowance next week.” Chanyeol gave in.

“Next week! Do you want to die?? I know you have more than 10,000 won with you everyday.” Suho grabbed Chanyeol by the collar.

“Ow, ow, oww, I still need to eat!” Chanyeol yelped.

“Your parents pack your lunch.”

“I need snacks.”

“You have tons at home. Which are bought by your parents.”

Chanyeol reluctantly pulls out another 10,000 bill and is instantly snatched by Suho. Suho waved the two bills in front of Chanyeol and chuckled victoriously.

“It’s mine now.”

Oh my god, shut up, shut up, shut up! Will it kill you if you don’t talk? Taeyeon closed her eyes and unconsciously snorted, trying to sleep.

Suho peeked behind his shoulder and chuckled at the sight. “Chanyeol, look here.” He tapped his friend’s arm repeatedly. “I don’t think you are the only one who panicked to catch the bus this morning.”

“huh?” his friend glanced at him then looked behind him.

As soon he saw her, Chanyeol pulled out his phone and opened the selfie camera. “Wow, what are the chances.” He looked at his image in the preview.

“Suho, look.” He pointed at the screen and giggled.

“What? You look terrible.” Suho responded.

“Aren’t we twins? We are like soulmates!” Chanyeol grinned stupidly and was rewarded by a smack on the head.

Chanyeol studied the girl behind her closely. “Hmmm, I haven’t seen her before. Have you?”

Suho looked behind him, “we both go to the same bus spot everyday. If you haven’t seen her, I haven’t either. Idiot.”

Chanyeol leaned over and tapped Taeyeon on her shoulders.

Should I smile? That would just invite them to talk more. She remembered her mother’s words from the night before. Smile more often! You will make new friends! Which she doesn’t feel like doing or saw the worth for these two goof balls.

In the end she decided to stay quiet, maybe they will leave her alone. But the poking on her shoulder persisted.

She opened her eyes without turning her head away from the window, unintentionally glared at the boy from the corner of her eyes. Just when she was about to say something, the boy quickly turned back around.

“She’s scary.” Chanyeol stated.

“Agreed.” His friend replied.

Their reactions had already confused her, but she found it amusing.

———

Finally, at school. The school was not the largest school in the country, but it was decent in size. It’s like two buildings combined together into a L-shaped building with a large playing field on the side. The school wasn’t the most prestigious, but still considered one of the best schools in the country outside of the capital. It has good connections with schools in the capital and abroad because of its well rece

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter