Chapter 9 - Stupid

Length of Happiness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
 

That evening, Taeyeon searched through the entire web for a nail polish like the one Jessica had. But they all looked so similar, so eventually, she just gave up.

“Unnie!” a voice came running towards her.

“What do you want Yoonie?” Taeyeon sighed, giving up after spending an hour looking for that nail polish. Then she realized that Yoona got home early, it was only 8:37 PM.

“YOONIE!??? YOONIE!??” Yoona yelled grumpily. “Can you not call me that, Taeyoonie?”

Taeyeon burst into laughter at her sister’s attempt to give her a nickname. “You realize that’s basically the same thing I call you right?”

“Yeah, so!?”

“Come on, you can be a little more creative than that!”

“Annoying.” Yoona pressed her lips, “Anyways. What are you doing?”

“Just thinking about life.” She said heaving a sigh.

“Huh? Why? Why are you talking like that? Is Jessica giving you a hard time?” Yoona looked at her sister worryingly, fearing Jessica might have started picking on her sister. Why else would a 16-year-old be contemplating life?

“If I say yes, would you go and beat her up for me?” Taeyeon said proudly as she raised her fist in front of her enthusiastically.

Yoona looked unimpressed and stared sternly at her. She asked herself often, is she the older or younger sister. At times, her sister would make comments and actions that suggested that she was still a 9-year-old. Then there are times when she is collected and focused, and even their parents can’t outreason her.

“Alright. Alright. I am fine, stop worrying about me. I was just looking through my phone.”

“Really?” Yoona leaned over to grab her sister’s phone. She scrolled through her phone, wondering if there was any evidence that her sister was lying. Regardless, she was pleasantly surprised when she looked at the tabs Taeyeon have been looking at. “Nail polish? You are into that?”

“No…I was just browsing.” Taeyeon tries to sound innocent.

“Just browsing white nail polish? Unnie, there’s literally 16 tabs open of different brands of white nail polish!” Yoona dragged out the first word intentionally to show her disbelief as she stared at her sister’s phone in wonder.

“Yahhh!!” Taeyeon leaned and took her phone from Yoona’s hands. “I just saw it and thought it looked nice.”

“Ok, ok. Why do you feel guilty just looking at polish? Wait a sec…” Yoona went over to her bed and dug beneath her bed. Taeyeon looked at her sister with a strange expression, because she had never seen Yoona do something like this. Yoona always loved being clean and was always a good kid. She lectured Taeyeon whenever she said something inappropriate or do something that would dirty her clothes. To see Yoona crawl on the floor under her bed was out of Taeyeon’s expectations.

After a few seconds, Yoona got out from underneath the bed and ran back to her with a decent-sized box in her hands.

“Here.” Yoona flipped open the box and there was a collection of different makeups. “Shhh, don’t tell our parents. Me and my friends bought these behind their back.”

“Wow, Yoonie. I didn’t know…what are you doing?” Taeyeon looked at her sister when the latter took away the box.

“Stop calling me that, or I am not sharing.”

“Fine, Yoon…NAH.” She chortled at her own pun but seeing Yoona closing the box. “Yoona, Yoona, my precious sister Yoona. Please let me have a look.”

“How old are you?” Yoona shook her head and handed her the box again.

Taeyeon looked at the products with curiosity, scanning over the contents of the box with her fingers. However, she could not find anything that resembled the one Jessica was wearing.

“Really? You can’t find anything that interests you?”

“I was just curious about something I saw. It’s fine, I don’t like to wear make-up anyway.”

“Uh. Ok.” Yoona stood up dejectedly to put her box away, feeling kind of disappointed that her sister wasn’t interested in any of the makeup. “If you want anything let me know!”

After some moments of silence, while Yoona put away her box, Taeyeon looked at her sister who sat back on her chair.

“Yoona. You are a good sister.” Taeyeon smiled, wanting to cheer her sister up.

“Huh?” Yoona wasn’t expecting that comment. “Why are you being so sweet out of a sudden?”

“I think you would look very pretty in that makeup. I was really just curious; it wasn’t because I didn’t like your collection. They were nice, you should treasure them.”

Yoona smiled back. “Aww, I love you too, Taeyoonie.” Realizing what Yoona just called her, both of them bursts out in laughter once again.

———

It was Friday again and the day when Mr. Lim will expect his magazine to be returned.

“Are you really going to hand that in?” Sunny asked her.

“Yes. And shush, I know what I am doing.”

A few moments later, Mr. Lim entered the class. His eyes scanned the classroom and started his announcement.

“Good morning class. As promised, I gave you three days to find the magazine. Let’s look at you first, Taeyoon. Have you found the magazine?”

“I found a magazine,” Taeyeon said with careful wording, then took the magazine and brought it up to the teacher.

On the other side of the classroom, Jessica gave Yuri a nudge.

Mr. Lim examined the magazine and slowly nodded at it. “Ah, it is this one. Good…”

“Teacher, I believe Taeyoon’s magazine is a fake.” Yuri stood up from her seat.

Knowing this would happen, Sunny took a deep breath and sunk in her seat waiting for the inevitable to happen.

“How did you know mine is fake? Do you have evidence?” Taeyeon asked her, pretending to be surprised.

“I have already found the magazine.” Yuri showed the class the magazine and handed it to the teacher, not without g

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter